Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Carlisle 1/3/11 | Match Preview, Team Views and News

Comments

• Options
    Addicks win 2-0 BWP and NE to score.....CP will have them up for this and I would like to think they can now go on a decent run again.....no tv cameras, good pitch, home crowd......nuff said!
  • Options
    I think we'll race into a 3-0 lead at the start of the second half, get pegged back to 3-3 after about 70 minutes, then nick an improbable winner in stoppage time.
  • Options
    Imagine..
  • Options
    I think a lot will depend on our formation.

If CP sticks with this 4-3-3 it could be another long night - he needs to choose 2 strikers and the third will have to come off the bench.
  • Options
    As we stumble from formation to formation wandering aimlessly without a clue of what suits us best still.

All I know is the only man that remotely got near anything in the air and worried other teams centre halfs has left.

Eccleston who's best 90 minutes for Charlton have come 2nd half v p'boro (scored) 1st half v County (got through on goal twice) has subsequently sine the 2 halfs been moved to left wing. He is not a left winger.

We talk about getting the ball on the floor well if we got it into feet I'm pretty sure BWP,NE,JA could cause problems.

The trouble is the rest of the team just aint up to it.

For all the determination etc very rarely will SF,GD,CD be knocking it into feet it will be waist height if were lucky.

With JS not being able to pass forward, SW, TR running down blind alleys, JJ going missing for 80 of the 90minutes. im expecting very little change. To be fair there isnt the options.

If it was me tonight would be

RE

SF CD ML Bessone if fit (M F)
    NE JS TR KR
    JA BWP

Key to winning this is to get it wide and balls in at the feet of the strikers. Unfortunately will miss big pav as we'll slap it up there and nobody will hold onto it.

0-2 carlise
  • Options
    This is a big, big game for us tonight, particularly with another on paper home winnable home game on Saturday. 6 points on the board come Saturday night and all of a sudden the picture would look a whole lot rosier.

Key thing for me tonight is to ensure we play with a real upbeat tempo to our game. Balls wide quickly and fast countering, and press them hard not in possession. Raise the tempo and get the crowd involved.

Fancy a win tonight and Anyinsah being star man.
  • Options
    CAFCBourne, all those initials left me thinking WTF! You should maybe put a key at the bottom of your posts? ;)
  • Options
    Just hoping that we match-up with the opposition in midfield. After playing 2 v 3 against Peterboro & Notts County, and 3 v 4 against Exeter.

If we mirror Carlisle's midfield man-for-man, then surely we have better players than them?

4-4-2 if they are 4-4-2, or 4-5-1 if they are 4-5-1. Allowing the opposition to have an extra man in midfield is asking for trouble. Particularly if we don't adjust as in the Exeter & Notts County games.
  • Options
    I admire him for trying to play a 4-3-3 but at the moment Powell simply does not have the players at his disposal to do this.

If Solly is fit then he has to play.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jenkinson feature but if he does PLEASE can he take free kicks rather than everyone else on the team booting them into row Z.

Time for someone to replace Doherty, possibly Llera - worth a try at least.

Jackson is a left sided midfielder - this is where he has scored the majority of his goals so this is where he should play.

BWP is a centre forward NOT a winger - this is where he has scored the majority of his goals so this is where he should play.

I think we need to switch back to a 4-4-2 of:

Elliot

Solly
    Dailly
    Llera
    Fry

Wagstaff
    Racon
    Semedo
    Jackson

BWP
    Eccleston
  • Options
    Although I've not seen the last three defeats, I still feel that we have 11 good/reasonable players on the pitch but yet to develop a team.

Another defeat on the cards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure it's time to chuck 4-4-3 yet. Don't agree we don't have players. It usually fails if wingers are part of front three because they have little threat. We use strikers. We need a) full backs to tuck into midfield and b) more balls down channels beyond defence. It works for Ollie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]I'm not sure it's time to chuck 4-4-3 yet. Don't agree we don't have players. It usually fails if wingers are part of front three because they have little threat. We use strikers. We need a) full backs to tuck into airfield and b) more balls down channels beyond defence. It works for Ollie.

Ollie has that modern day Garry Nelson, Luke Varney, tirelessly running the channels. Waggy might be able to do it.
  • Options
    Elliot
    Francis Dailly Doc Fry
    Waggy Racon Semedo Reid
    Eccelstone BWP.
  • Options
    Elliot
    Jenkinson Dailly Doc Fry
    Waggy Racon Semedo Reid
    Eccels BWP

Jenkinson must be involved on the back of his last too performances. Waggy just ahead of him.
  • Options
    Given that Charlton usually do well when the general level of misery is high - 4-1 Charlton (0-1 at half time). COYR!
  • Options
    Three recent posts suggesting BWP and Eccleston as the front 2. It completely failed against Peterborough didn't it? Neither could hold up the ball or challenge in the air, they were just too similar to make a good partnership. Abbott came on and it helped to change the game. Need Anyinsah there and hopefully fairly soon a targetman on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Three recent posts suggesting BWP and Eccleston as the front 2. It completely failed against Peterborough didn't it? Neither could hold up the ball or challenge in the air, they were just too similar to make a good partnership. Abbott came on and it helped to change the game. Need Anyinsah there and hopefully fairly soon a targetman on loan.

Or alternatively CP can tell Doc Francis Fry and Robbie to stop kicking it long, work the ball up to the halfway line then give it to the midfield, who might then be in a position to pick out a forward without needing binoculars. If the strikers are receiving ten yard passes they will be more likely to keep possession.
  • Options
    With the best will in the world at this level there are going to be times a long ball is needed and has to be played at this level. Agree we want to try and play football but there are times you play it long the opposition will just squeeze so we never get it. Added to that we dont have a central midfielder who can receive and pass fluently to do this all the time (although it would be nice to try more than we do).
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton. This is when Powell sorts it all out and we all go home happy....ish.
  • Options
    Just wanted to point out a couple of things re Chris Powell

It is widely regarded that to win a league you need to average around 2 points per game

In the 7 games under Chrissy we have 12 points
    If we can win these highly winnable games this week that would be 18 points from 9 games......

So maybe we shouldn't be calling for his head on a guillotine just yet

As for tonight it's a must win in my eyes. I'd love a comfortable 3-0 please chaps
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I created and ordered a pair of trainers through Nike ID about a month ago. Here they are.

Guess when they arrived.
    Yep, today. Good omen.
    I'm going for a convincing 2-0 win.
  • Options
    Ecclestone should play wide and cut in and I can see him getting a couple tonight in a three one win
  • Options
    Low scoring win. Powell back to winning ways but performances still err to the worrying.
  • Options
    6-0 Loss
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wallpaper.jsp?metricId=238673800&authorColor_green=102&authorColor_red=102&wallpaperSize=1280&titleColor_blue=0&author=EastStand&viewId=10&titleColor_green=0&bgId=5&title=CAFC1905&titleColor_red=0&authorColor_blue=102 lovely
  • Options
    Feeling there might be a few goals tonight, so 3-2 to Charlton. Waggy to get on the scoresheet.
  • Options
    Charlton 2 Carlisle 1

I'd go for:

Elliot

Jenkinson
    Dailly
    Doherty
    Francis

Jackson
    Semedo
    Racon
    Eccleston

BWP
    Anyinsah

The same as Friday but we're due a bit more luck!
  • Options
    someones teams going to get beat 4 or 5 by us soon hopefully tonight
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Three recent posts suggesting BWP and Eccleston as the front 2. It completely failed against Peterborough didn't it? Neither could hold up the ball or challenge in the air, they were just too similar to make a good partnership. Abbott came on and it helped to change the game. Need Anyinsah there and hopefully fairly soon a targetman on loan.

Or alternatively CP can tell Doc Francis Fry and Robbie to stop kicking it long, work the ball up to the halfway line then give it to the midfield, who might then be in a position to pick out a forward without needing binoculars. If the strikers are receiving ten yard passes they will be more likely to keep possession.
    Ideally I agree but it's not always possible. If the opposition close down our defenders or mark them when Elliot has the ball we'll have no option but to kick it long.

Not only that, if you want good passing football in a 4-4-2 you probably want a striker who will drop deep, and at times, even with the ball on the floor, they'll have to hold it up.
  • Options
    Good to see CP appears to have learnt the lesson of the last three games and goes 4-4-2.

Big chance for Reid to show what he's capable of.