Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Parky, Powell and Patience

13»

Comments

• Options
    perhaps ecclestone is better as an impact sub who can make the most of tired legs and attack from the wing

on another note I heard from a ref I know that there is a break clause in CPs contract at the end of the seaon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Anyone remember this thread?

What is an acceptable target this season?

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=38841&page=1#Item_0

Seems like one or two of us have developed a little more patience since those earlier days.

Ha ha good point. I fall into that cateogry. Probably a lot to do with the fact of who we brought in makes me more lenient. Said it before logic and impartiality doesnt always come into supporting a football club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]I think the previous thread that I provided a link to started around the time of Powell's appointment, not the start of this season.

I remember reading things along the lines of 'Parkinson left us in 5th place, the new man has money, so the minimum expectation this season must be promotion'.

Yes i remember that as well Dave.Its funny how the goalposts have been moved.

Not really, the boards expectations clearly changed.

I'm not referring to the Board's expectations ... I'm referring to those expressed (by us) on the previous thread.
    Our expectations are similar to the boards though aren't they? We now know they can keep the club going in this league for another season. We can accept another season in this league if it means we're much stronger in the Championship and are playing better football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]I think the previous thread that I provided a link to started around the time of Powell's appointment, not the start of this season.

I remember reading things along the lines of 'Parkinson left us in 5th place, the new man has money, so the minimum expectation this season must be promotion'.

Time to re-estimate the project again! Apologies - I didn't click on the link and assumed it was from the start of the season... and I spent ages on my "project analogy post" too!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]

Yes i remember that as well Dave.Its funny how the goalposts have been moved.

Not really, the boards expectations clearly changed.

I'm not referring to the Board's expectations ... I'm referring to those expressed (by us) on the previous thread.
    Our expectations are similar to the boards though aren't they? We now know they can keep the club going in this league for another season. We can accept another season in this league if it means we're much stronger in the Championship and are playing better football

Couldn't agree more.

But just pointing out that not everyone seemed to share that view back in January.
  • Options
    how did curbs do in his season in charge? alex ferguson at man utd? not very well. but given time and backing they became legends. the last four games have hurt but we will turn it around to late for the top two now but playoffs for sure then its who has the guts to go all the way. powell has to be given time and backing and i truly believe he wil, be up there with the best
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]
    on another note I heard from a ref I know that there is a break clause in CPs contract at the end of the seaon

Sorry but does the ref sign off managers contracts?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Well I've also heard he may only be manager to the end of the season.
  • Options
    so nerr Henry

;)
  • Options
    If that's the case it's the most pointless sacking of a manager ever
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]so nerr Henry

;)

I'm not going to be your friend anymore so nerr to you : - )
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Well I've also heard he may only be manager to the end of the season.

Source?
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If that's the case it's the most pointless sacking of a manager ever

More importantly how did today go? On the bench tomorrow?
  • Options
    Can't say it would be unfair, but it was allegedly said by someone that has close connections to the club at the Notts C game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]Can't say it would be unfair, but it was allegedly said by someone that has close connections to the club at the Notts C game.

fair enough (not revealing your source that is, not sacking a manager so soon)
  • Options
    Appreciate people are only reporting what they've heard, so please don't take this personally, but that rumour sounds like one of the biggest pieces of bull**** I've read on here for a while and lord knows there has been a large amount of that flying around at times.
  • Options
    Even though i did not want Chris Powell as the Manager you have to back him for at least a couple of years. This constant changing of Managers does not work. Since Curbs left we have got through four permanent managers and we find ourselves in the third division. Lets have a bit of continuity for a while.
  • Options
    I must get the nails out of my bum , as there's so many comments above that i agree with , i can't help sitting on the fence.

I wasn't anti Parky or any of that rubbish , would he have got us promoted? maybe/maybe not, you could make a case for both , would we have felt confident going onto the championship , with the old board in charge , no chance.

Powell is going to drop clangers , who hasn't in their 1st job ? i know it always took me 2 years in my job managing a place before i started to turn things around , why? well cos the 1st years i was making mistakes/settling in , and it wasn't until the 2nd year i could learn from the mistakes i'd made , learn from them and think how could i make things better for the future , i tend to get there in the end , but it takes time.

It is totally unrealistic to expect Chris Powell to get us promoted this season , their are obvious weaknesses in this team that need addressing , they've been said on this site time and time again , Chris has to make do with what we've got , personally i'd like to see more youngsters come through this season to the first team , and have a strong team for next season (with Summer additions) that would stand a chance of doing well in the championship.

I spoke with a Brighton Season ticket holder this week ( he's just got next seasons ticket at the new ground and can't wait for next season) he said Poyet has got 10 players on his radar , 6 of which he knows will sign when they get promoted.

I asked him how long Poyet and been in charge , and when did he start to notice a change , he said Poyet had been there a season and a half, and that Poyet wanted to implement a passing style of game , which he said the fans were slow too take too ( he said they were booing the team back in September).

I know football is always about results and we want everything instantly , but if Chris can turn us into a Brighton or Norwich in the future i'd be happy in the long run , but probably unhappy in the short term , don't kill hope , or they'll be no one left at the valley.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]It is totally unrealistic to expect Chris Powell to get us promoted this season , their are obvious weaknesses in this team that need addressing , they've been said on this site time and time again , Chris has to make do with what we've got , personally i'd like to see more youngsters come through this season to the first team , and have a strong team for next season (with Summer additions) that would stand a chance of doing well in the championship.

I spoke with a Brighton Season ticket holder this week ( he's just got next seasons ticket at the new ground and can't wait for next season) he said Poyet has got 10 players on his radar , 6 of which he knows will sign when they get promoted.

I asked him how long Poyet and been in charge , and when did he start to notice a change , he said Poyet had been there a season and a half, and that Poyet wanted to implement a passing style of game , which he said the fans were slow too take too ( he said they were booing the team back in September).

Wow what a great comment.

Fans have a right to express their view and you will always get some who p*ss and moan whatever the background.

I see Brighton's recent history up to the present as to where we were during the wilderness years after Curbs took over.

My guess is that most Brighton fans are happier that the club is still alive and kicking and about to move to the new ground than they would otherwise be based on their league status or position. Of course once the on the field stuff starts to come together that really does help to get everyone pulling in the same direction.

Lets not forget that Brighton is a club that sold its ground, was seconds from going out of the league, has been in massive financial problems, has to play its game in a temporary home and has been fighting councils and the Govt to get approval for a new ground. That fight will have united fans and club in a similar way to what happened to us all those years ago.

For many of our fans, they have forgotten the struggle we as club went through and are, as I said in an earlier post, too full of the blame game and not mindful enough of the reality of our clubs position.

Can I just spell this out.

The Board over stretched their resources in what turned out to be a gamble to keep our club in the top flight. We can argue about whether the risks were balanced finely at the time but the fact is that the gamble was a disaster. Were it not for some great transfer deals like DB to Spurs and one or two others, plus a number of Board members putting in their shirts to keep the club afloat, we would have been in administration, having had points deducted and, who knows, where Plymouth are now!

Parky was given very little to work with. The wages budget still had costs of players in it that either weren't even playing for us any more, or whose current playing performances did not warrant the money they were on.

Parky was left with a handful of players only before the start of this season. He went out, with very little money, and put together a squad, thin on quality numbers, and with some imbalances that weren't easy to resolve, and fashioned a team that could, at least, compete in the top half of the table.

Chris Powell has inherited this. With a new board, more stable in their finances, with some investors in the background, the club is looking at a whole different scenario to the situation that Parky faced.

There is a long-term plan but to expect CP to turn this current squad on its head, play a passing game, play with greater effect than the sum of their parts; and all in a few weeks is madness. People need to get a cold shower and calm down.

We are looking at least to the start of next season before he will have made a real impact. Get used to it guys. It doesn't mean that we can't get promoted this year but frankly we will be lucky to get into the play offs.

We just need to balance our expectations with the reality of how far we fell and how long it will take to climb out of the hole.
  • Options
    Well said Bing, that's absolutely spot on IMO.
  • Options
    bing you could be missing the question why then did Parky get sacked?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    Chris Powell has inherited this.With a new board, more stable in their finances, with some investors in the background, the club is looking at a whole different scenario to the situation that Parky faced.

There is a long-term plan but to expect CP to turn this current squad on its head, play a passing game, play with greater effect than the sum of their parts; and all in a few weeks is madness.People need to get a cold shower and calm down.

We are looking at least to the start of next season before he will have made a real impact.Get used to it guys. It doesn't mean that we can't get promoted this year but frankly we will be lucky to get into the play offs.

We just need to balance our expectations with the reality of how far we fell and how long it will take to climb out of the hole.

Some great points Bing. Give CP time to learn the players, the weaknesses, the strengths and the areas he wants to improve so that in the summer he can spend wisely, brig in a few quality players to add to what we've already got and then see what he can do with them.

[cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]bing you could be missing the question why then did Parky get sacked?

Parky got sacked because the team was on an awful run and a similar awful run cost us auto-prom the previous season and because a new board often want their own man. Management is so mad these days (Alladyce) that Parky's sacking isn't so shocking. Personally I would have given him till the end of the season as well as money for Jan as I think he deserved something to spend but I think CP can get us promoted, but not this year. Playoffs would be great and anything can happen!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Awful run?! He had just won manager of the month and had 2 games in December postponed!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]bing you could be missing the question why then did Parky get sacked?

Parky got sacked because the team was on an awful run and a similar awful run cost us auto-prom the previous season and because a new board often want their own man. Management is so mad these days (Alladyce) that Parky's sacking isn't so shocking. Personally I would have given him till the end of the season as well as money for Jan as I think he deserved something to spend but I think CP can get us promoted, but not this year. Playoffs would be great and anything can happen!

I did deal with this in an earlier post. I will expand a little.

I don't blame Parky as some do, because he was in a very difficult position, but he was the bloke who forged this team - no money or otherwise. He was the manager who said that (and I am para-phrasing), my team will improve as the season progresses. That manifestly wasn't the case and he was hoist by his own petard.

I have said elsewhere that Parky was always a victim of his association with the worst run in our clubs history. He could never shake this off completely and was always, as a result of that, and some of the over-expectation that I dealt with earlier, only a few poor performances away from losing the crowd. That is defacto the position. That is position the new Board inherited, and why he was sacked in my view. It may have been harsh but thats football.

My point now is that CP has to be given time, all this talk of honeymoon periods over and of mis-management, and poor selection is way, way too premature.

Have I been p*ssed off by the last four results? Of course I have. Cut me and like us all, I bleed red. I hate where we are and long for the days of a few years ago. I just think we have to get real.