Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Census Form

edited March 2011 in Not Sports Related
Unlike the season ticket renewals I had the "pleasure"of this dropping on my mat today.

The questions are quite intrusive in my opinion and they seem to want to know everything from your inside leg measurement to the colour of the toilet paper you use!

I'm quite happy for the population to be counted every 10 years and to disclose my name and address and those living at my address. As a keen family historian I've found such information useful myself so am happy to help any potential relatives or descendants 100 years or more down the line.

However, call me paranoid if you like, but i do wonder at the motivation of some of the questions and disclosure requirements.

Example (1) they ask whether you own your property outright, own with a loan or mortgage, have a part owned part rented (shared ownership property), rent a property or live rent free. If you own a property outright or have a loan or mortgage you are then asked how many cars you have got. Why isn't everybody asked this question regardless of the type of property in which they live I wonder?

Example (2) How is your health?

Example (3) Students. They want forms filled in to varying degrees for both home and term time addresses.

Example (4) How do you travel to work?

I could go on.

Comments

• Options
    So, what colour is your toilet paper then Len?
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything sinister in it. It's all for planning purposes. From the examples you've given it sounds like they want information to help plan building, healthcare, education and transport provision. Personally I think there a lot less to worry about here than all the stuff corporations collect via Tesco and Nectar cards. And I always feel well hacked of when charities hawk my name around between themselves. If I give to one, it's because I want to help by giving money, not by having my name sold on a list of soft touches.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Totally agree Len, and to be honest I don't understand why they feel the need to fine you £1000 if you choose not to do it either. Why is it mandatory and who does it help? I can understand certain questions that may effect town planning/how much more affordable housing is out there and can be flogged off by local councils to make a fast buck etc, but certain personal questions are a tad unnecessary.
    I have tried to look up old family history matters and it seems to me that you must always grease the palm of the website that provides the info and I refuse to pay someone for info that my decendents have given freely. I am told you can get the 1811 census for free (woop e doo) but I have no clue who I would be looking for in 1811. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place! Then there is the cost of running the census during a time when we are continually told the country is broke.
  • Options
    Mine's often brown.
  • Options
    I put 'Satanist' for religion.
  • Options
    I'm putting Charlton for religion.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wish I had put that too Leroy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]I wish I had put that too Leroy!
    'Jedi' my arse. Star Wars is shit and I'm not signing my name to anything to do with it - even to mock the census. Satanism, on the other hand, I can get my head round. Just waiting for the bloke from the council to come round so I can ask for an official space to desecrate where I can sacrifice my goats and deflower my virgins.
  • Options
    19.1 What hand do you use to wipe your bum with?
    19.2 Do you sit down or stand up when wiping?
    19.3 Why dont you use paper like normal people?
  • Options
    If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So they say.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
    LOL - that's a good one
  • Options
    1245.b As a child did you have a fever?
    1245.c Were your hands swollen like two balloons?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]1245.b As a child did you have a fever?
    1245.c Were your hands swollen like two balloons?
    b. Yes
    c. Yes
    d. Now I've got that feeling once again
  • Options
    Thumbs up!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Unlike the season ticket renewals I had the "pleasure"of this dropping on my mat today.
    However, call me paranoid if you like, but i do wonder at the motivation of some of the questions and disclosure requirements.

Example (1) they ask whether you own your property outright, own with a loan or mortgage, have a part owned part rented (shared ownership property), rent a property or live rent free. If you own a property outright or have a loan or mortgage you are then asked how many cars you have got. Why isn't everybody asked this question regardless of the type of property in which they live I wonder?

You've misread the form Len. Everybody has to answer the "how many cars do you have" question, but if you're an owner occupier you get to skip the "who is your landlord" question, as it's not relevant to you.

As Stig said, it's nothing sinister, it's for planning purposes. They need to know about patterns of housing, travel, health etc, so they can decide on how to allocate funding to various places.

Just count yourself lucky you don't have to phone the helpline. It's like pulling teeth. Took me two goes to get someone who'd worked out how to look things up on the system if the answer wasn't immediately obvious.
  • Options
    you could join ickes protest group! http://www.davidicke.com/articles/the-awakening-mainmenu-118/45460-boycott-the-2011-uk-census-
  • Options
    Having not had a "proper" job since June 2009, I applied for and got a job as a Census Collector - sounds like it isn't going to be as easy as I thought!

If you've got a problem with it, please bear in mind that the guy knocking on your door is probably like me - just doing as job for not much more than minimum wage.
  • Options
    Do you have to tell the truth?
    Or for that matter answer every question. The questions I dont want to answer I will put N/A next to them or make something up.
    I'm only renting the house I'm living in for a couple more months anyway so any data that can be drawn from my forms wont mean much anyway.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonkeston[/cite]Do you have to tell the truth?
    Or for that matter answer every question. The questions I dont want to answer I will put N/A next to them or make something up.
    I'm only renting the house I'm living in for a couple more months anyway so any data that can be drawn from my forms wont mean much anyway.

I'll know more when I have been on my training course Thursday.

Regarding your circumstances, it is a snapshot in time, it doesn't matter where you are a week or even a day later. So the data you supply means as much as the data from any other form you could pick on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why the big fuss, the questions aren't too intrusive (the ones about home ownership are valid, and will show how this has changed over the years and allows planning for the future), and its ONCE every 10 YEARS!!
  • Options
    Some people will moan about anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I got one yesterday too! It says on the front that the information will help improve our local and national services but hardly any of the questions relate to them.

I had the same reaction (as the poster) last night. For me, it is the 'veiled' threat on the front cover in large print of a fine or being criminalised for not completing the form that offends me (and most people I think). They do love to use threatening words language don't they?

I thought coercion was a criminal offence. You or I would go to jail for forcing somebody to do something with a threat (or blackmail) but obviously (as we know) those rules do not apply to councils, governments, polticians, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Come the revolution, my Charlton brothers and sisters, I will be there as close to the front as I can get yelling "Freedom!" and "Premier league - we're having a laugh!"

Now, where is my copy of 1984, I must dust it down to see what it says about census'.
  • Options
    Do we have to fill it in? Is it a legal requirement?
  • Options
    I don't see why government and multinationals constantly need to tap us for info thru various means. It's all very well saying don't get uppity about it and if you don't have anything to hide etc but considering every aspect of our lives is monitored these days is it so bad to just want to remain private and keep details to yourself no matter how trivial they are?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Red5[/cite]I got one yesterday too! Now, where is my copy of 1984, I must dust it down to see what it says about census'.

I got two yesterday, one in my new and one in the the house I'm renting.
    To be honest it dosen't really bother me filling the forms, it just seems, in this day and age, a little old fashioned. At least we dont have to travel back to our birthplace on a donkey.
    My private life is as dull as most peoples, I dont have any secrets.
    I just cant see what the powers to be able to improve my life and others by me filling a form in full of information Bromley council no doubt already has.

Do any other European countries have census?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I'm putting Charlton for religion.

How many people do we need before it becomes a recognised religion ?
  • Options
    I had read quite a lot about how intrusive this year's census was and was therefore pleasantly surprised that it wasn't early as bad as I was expecting.

I don't have a problem with them asking me where I work, its not like they ask for salary details. There is actually nothing on there that governments don't already have somewhere, its just easier for them to analyse if they ask you to complete it rather than trying to bring all their scattered databases together.

So basically, everyone relax, fill it in, send it off and sit back and wait for the complete lack of policy decisions that as made as a result.
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Do we have to fill it in? Is it a legal requirement?

Yes it is.
    And you will be hounded by people at your door asking you to complete it.
    Although I don't remember anyone actually being prosecuted last time. But I do remember them saying not enough people had completed it to make analysis reliable.
    And the door knockers are getting low pay so what ever you do, don’t take it out on them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Do we have to fill it in? Is it a legal requirement?

Yes it is.
    And you will be hounded by people at your door asking you to complete it.
    Although I don't remember anyone actually being prosecuted last time. But I do remember them saying not enough people had completed it to make analysis reliable.
    And the door knockers are getting low pay so what ever you do, don’t take it out on them.

Anything that the goverment have on 'file' is bound to get lost, probably on the train by some 'outsourced agency' so that a scammer can defraud even more people, but because of data protection the goverment cannot do anything about it!

If they find that the transport is shite in South East London what are they going to do about it!, or anything else because we are being told that there is no money, and anyway they are no longer state controlled !.

Hopefully, I will have a nice collector like Saga Lout come round!