Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Census Form

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Some people will moan about anything.

I said at the outset ....."I'm quite happy for the population to be counted every 10 years and to disclose my name and address and those living at my address. As a keen family historian I've found such information useful myself so am happy to help any potential relatives or descendants 100 years or more down the line."......

My gripes are firstly the intrusive nature of questions that frankly are no business of government which are also meaningless in many ways as the answers are subjective eg Health very good, good, fair, bad etc. Some people go to casualty with a common cold others won't even see a doctor if they have a heart attack or cancer. Hence it is meaningless as it's opinion not fact. We know that despite saying personal information will be kept safe governments have form in losing or disposing of it carelessly so life insurance companies for instance could get this stuff and use it against you. Paranoid perhaps but not impossible.

Secondly as Red 5 says the threatening authoritarian tone also winds me up particularly as you know full well that b***** all will be done when residents of, say, Bradford ignore the census but residents of, say, Bromley will be slaughtered. They have the ethnic information on their forms to decide to harass employed white property owners should they so desire. In other words the soft, law abiding (unless making a legitimate political protest such as census or council tax default) targets.

Thirdly the travel to work question is just a front to tax people more if they drive and why do they need to know who I work for and what I do? They've had over 30 years and counting worth of tax and national insurance out of me. What more do they want?

I appreciate that those of you who work in the public sector probably trust government and its motives. I'm afraid the broken promises of politicians from the main parties and obfuscation from government departments when trying to obtain what one has paid years for makes me far more cynical.

Hence why I started the thread.
  • Options
    all to make sure they are getting enough council tax out of us !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

I said at the outset ....."I'm quite happy for the population to be counted every 10 years and to disclose my name and address and those living at my address. As a keen family historian I've found such information useful myself so am happy to help any potential relatives or descendants 100 years or more down the line."......

My gripes are firstly the intrusive nature of questions that frankly are no business of government which are also meaningless in many ways as the answers are subjective eg Health very good, good, fair, bad etc. Some people go to casualty with a common cold others won't even see a doctor if they have a heart attack or cancer. Hence it is meaningless as it's opinion not fact. We know that despite saying personal information will be kept safe governments have form in losing or disposing of it carelessly so life insurance companies for instance could get this stuff and use it against you. Paranoid perhaps but not impossible.

Secondly as Red 5 says the threatening authoritarian tone also winds me up particularly as you know full well that b***** all will be done when residents of, say, Bradford ignore the census but residents of, say, Bromley will be slaughtered. They have the ethnic information on their forms to decide to harass employed white property owners should they so desire. In other words the soft, law abiding (unless making a legitimate political protest such as census or council tax default) targets.

Thirdly the travel to work question is just a front to tax people more if they drive and why do they need to know who I work for and what I do? They've had over 30 years and counting worth of tax and national insurance out of me. What more do they want?

I appreciate that those of you who work in the public sector probably trust government and its motives. I'm afraid the broken promises of politicians from the main parties and obfuscation from government departments when trying to obtain what one has paid years for makes me far more cynical.

I would think those who work for the government are even less trusting of them as they understand the full horror of situations!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Do we have to fill it in? Is it a legal requirement?

Yes it is.
    And you will be hounded by people at your door asking you to complete it.
    Although I don't remember anyone actually being prosecuted last time. But I do remember them saying not enough people had completed it to make analysis reliable.
    And the door knockers are getting low pay so what ever you do, don’t take it out on them.

Oh well . they will keep having to send people round as i cant be arsed to fill mine in.
  • Options
    Is it really needed? It must be costing millions of pounds to do this, when the money could be spent on much more worthwhile projects
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]I'm putting Charlton for religion.

How many people do we need before it becomes a recognised religion ?

It won't. Jedi is not a formally recognised religion.This country only recognises that you may say it's your religion. But for that matter, this country does not formally recognise any religion.

As a further note. An interview with a representitive of the last Census commented that the Census had no business deciding what qualified as a religion or not, it merely counted what had been answered in that paticular box.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

No further questions m'Lord......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]Do we have to fill it in? Is it a legal requirement?

Yes it is.
    Although I don't remember anyone actually being prosecuted last time. But I do remember them saying not enough people had completed it to make analysis reliable.
    And the door knockers are getting low pay so what ever you do, don’t take it out on them.

Anything that the goverment have on 'file' is bound to get lost, probably on the train by some 'outsourced agency' so that a scammer can defraud even more people, but because of data protection the goverment cannot do anything about it!

If they find that the transport is shite in South East London what are they going to do about it!, or anything else because we are being told that there is no money, and anyway they are no longer state controlled !.

Hopefully, I will have a nice collector like Saga Lout come round!

I will be your collector Ken, I think! I only have to visit if people DON'T fill in and return the forms btw.

Regarding prosecutions, in my pack of information it says that people were prosecuted last time round. Whether or not the current Government will have the money to that this time round or not remains to be seen, but don't assume they won't.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]

Yes it is.

Oh well . they will keep having to send people round as i cant be arsed to fill mine in.

Having said I probably will be Ken's, I hope I won't be your collector then Beds!
  • Options
    I hope you wont be either mate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Question 48b is a tricky one ... "Do you have an attic room where you keep your mad, hideously-disfigured brother?"

It's outrageous.
  • Options
    96C - got me. Have you ever stole anything from a friends sister's knicker drawer ?
  • Options
    Still completely with LG on this one.
  • Options
    The postman delivered mine. The Charlton players were preparing for tonights game.
  • Options
    Question 17 is a classic great.

"This question is intentionally left blank >> GO TO 18"

First of all it's not a question, it's a statement.

Second of all, what is the point in including that "question"? Is it there to trick us? Is it some kind of measure of our intelligence?

Thirdly, if they are going to include questions that aren't questions then perhaps we should include answers that aren't actually answers?

It is a very strange inclusion.
  • Options
    I'm 23 and have never filled one out. I'm not about to start.
    Its more than I'd tell someone on a date and I'm not even trying to have sex with it.
    They can stick it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EastStand[/cite]I'm 23 and have never filled one out. I'm not about to start.
    Its more than I'd tell someone on a date and I'm not even trying to have sex with it.
    They can stick it.

That has cheered me up!!
  • Options
    I have spent a hell of a lot of time this year researching my family tree and the census is amazing. I have just filled it in and found the questions absolutely fine. Having looked at census' from 1841-1911, it would have been great if they were this detailed back then, to understand the financial position, health and other bits about family members. So hopefully in 100 years time there will be my great great grandchildren will be able to find out all about me and what's happening right at the moment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]I have spent a hell of a lot of time this year researching my family tree and the census is amazing. I have just filled it in and found the questions absolutely fine. Having looked at census' from 1841-1911, it would have been great if they were this detailed back then, to understand the financial position, health and other bits about family members. So hopefully in 100 years time there will be my great great grandchildren will be able to find out all about me and what's happening right at the moment.

Bloody Hell ! You having kids ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    filled mine in earlier, no problem 10 min job
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]So hopefully in 100 years time there will be my great great grandchildren will be able to find out all about me and what's happening right at the moment.

Who needs a census in 100 years time? Everybody will already know all about you.

Because you're Colin Walsh's love child.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]I have spent a hell of a lot of time this year researching my family tree and the census is amazing. I have just filled it in and found the questions absolutely fine. Having looked at census' from 1841-1911, it would have been great if they were this detailed back then, to understand the financial position, health and other bits about family members. So hopefully in 100 years time there will be my great great grandchildren will be able to find out all about me and what's happening right at the moment.

A friend of mine who's been researching his family tree says he is going to miss-spell his name and see how HIS great great grandchildren like it lol!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]filled mine in earlier, no problem 10 min job

How can you complete it when it has to be about people in your home on 27/3
  • Options
    Don't fill it in. Don't send it in. It's aimed at morons. Don't be a moron.
  • Options
    I've never heard so much fuss about nothing. The way some are reacting I wouldn't be surprised to hear this, "A census taker once tried to test me...."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EastStand[/cite]I'm 23 and have never filled one out. I'm not about to start.
    They can stick it.

Stick it where?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]filled mine in earlier, no problem 10 min job

How can you complete it when it has to be about people in your home on 27/3

I do kinda know who's gonna be living there in a couple of weeks !