Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NO big turn around of players in summer says powell!!

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
he said on cafc offical site ! ever going to happen says powell! NO millions to spend! mite as well walk know then!

Comments

• Options
    He also said we had stopped the rot after drawing against Tranmere..........
  • Options
    Maybe he's just trying to repair the damage of Varney saying most players won't have their contracts renewed. The phrase "no big turnaround" is more about holding on to what we have imho.
  • Options
    Hate to say it, but the bloke don't know what hes doing.
  • Options
    14 contracts are up in the summer... I don't think they'll be getting renewed, whatever he said I think we'll have a fairly different team next season..

these players are scarred for life now, had the hope driven out of them and now play like headless chickens who struggle a shot a game.
  • Options
    Sorry everyone to be pesamistic but a worrying thought just went through my head, are we statistically safe from relegation?
  • Options
    not yet but 3 points will do it
  • Options
    Still got Southampton to play twice and Bournemouth but should be OK
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He also said...
    "We have got players out of contract so they are thinking about their livelihoods and their futures, which is right.
    "We need to have a squad and build a squad that is going to compete and move us forward."

Yet we still haven't had heard anything concrete from this board on how they' plan to help him achieve this..? If it's going to be more free transfers and lower league gambles, we might as well have stuck with Parky, because he met Murray's criteria, and got a completive team, with those resources...
  • Options
    Things are pretty bad at the moment, this is the worst Charlton team I've seen and its not good , I believe it will get worse before it gets better, dreading the saints game , think we will get smashed, sounds like things are heating up in Libya at the moment puts a bit of perspective on sport.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

Yet we still haven't had heard anything concrete from this board on how they're plan to help him achieve this.. If it's going to be more free transfers and lower league gambles, we might as well have stuck with Parky, because he met Murray's criteria, and got a completive team, with those resources...

Give it a rest. You'd have to be a complete idiot to buy the club in this division - especially as someone with no history of supporting Charlton - simply to run it on the same failing basis. You might as well chuck money in the Thames.

The board and the manager have to balance expectations within the squad, among the fans and externally, which is tricky at this point in the season. It may even be impossible. But you'll hear more soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he said that then he might as well go now. I have been defending him in recent weeks but i cant if he says he's going to keep those shit players.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]

Yet we still haven't had heard anything concrete from this board on how they're plan to help him achieve this.. If it's going to be more free transfers and lower league gambles, we might as well have stuck with Parky, because he met Murray's criteria, and got a completive team, with those resources...[/quote]

Give it a rest. You'd have to be a complete idiot to buy the club in this division - especially as someone with no history of supporting Charlton - simply to run it on the same failing basis. You might as well chuck money in the Thames.

The board and the manager have to balance expectations within the squad, among the fans and externally, which is tricky at this point in the season. It may even be impossible.[/quote]

So why did they buy the club in this division? Even if is run prudently, still a big loss maker in Div 1
  • Options
    Powell has to be a diPlomat in public and save the Nasty git stuff for the dressing room, he can hardly say what we think, ie the players are cack and I can't wait to see the back of them in the summer, the guy in front of me today wondered if the players were trying to get powell sacked?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]

Yet we still haven't had heard anything concrete from this board on how they plan to help him achieve this..? If it's going to be more free transfers and lower league gambles, we might as well have stuck with Parky, because he met Murray's criteria, and got a completive team, with those resources...

The board and the manager have to balance expectations within the squad, among the fans and externally, which is tricky at this point in the season. It may even be impossible. But you'll hear more soon.

Give what a rest?
    I pointed out a fact, and asked a question...
    Is that not allowed on here?
  • Options
    yeah maybe these players(bought in by parky) loved him! also maybe they dont like the new owners or the treatment of there team mates ie abbott and sodje(by the way we miss that part of sodjes game)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What is Powell mean to say, "these players are an utter disgrace to the shirt and very few of them will be here next season because we are not going to renew their contracts and have millions to spend"...we still need a win to avoid relegation he can hardly go around telling all the players to F off even if that is what he is thinking! Get a grip people. Other threads are slagging off the board for saying we were changing all our players in the summer, this one slags off the manager for saying the opposite.

Reality will be some where in the middle which will be the same for most clubs in this arse of a league.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]What is Powell mean to say, "these players are an utter disgrace to the shirt and very few of them will be here next season because we are not going to renew their contracts and have millions to spend"...we still need a win to avoid relegation he can hardly go around telling all the players to F off even if that is what he is thinking[/quote]

That would be an interesting way of going about it. If I was told off someone like Mr Powell
    that I was a disgrace to the shirt, that coming from someone who wore the shirt with pride etc,
    I would be shocked to the core and probably start playing hard, But I suppose you're right, it could
    also have a deabilitising effect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]

Yet we still haven't had heard anything concrete from this board on how they're plan to help him achieve this.. If it's going to be more free transfers and lower league gambles, we might as well have stuck with Parky, because he met Murray's criteria, and got a completive team, with those resources...

The board and the manager have to balance expectations within the squad, among the fans and externally, which is tricky at this point in the season. It may even be impossible.

So why did they buy the club in this division? Even if is run prudently, still a big loss maker in Div 1

Perhaps they bought it because the plan is not to hang around for long in this division. Please give the board credit for some intelligence. They know exactly what they bought and have a plan to make things work otherwise like the Airman says why not just throw the money in the Thames. We need to be patient. See out this season and then se where we are heading. I still have confidence in the new board completely.
  • Options

Yet we still haven't had heard anything concrete from this board on how they plan to help him achieve this..? If it's going to be more free transfers and lower league gambles, we might as well have stuck with Parky, because he met Murray's criteria, and got a completive team, with those resources...

Give what a rest?
    I pointed out a fact, and asked a question...
    Is that not allowed on here?

Where did the CP quotes I put up, and that you omitted in your reply indicate that they referred to the "NOW"...? What has "this point in the season" have to do with what I said?
    You telling me "I'll hear more soon" implies you know something, so why didn't you just offer that up instead of your moronic first line ?

And as DickPlumb said... So why did they buy this club in this division then? Even if its run prudently, still a big loss maker in Div 1... So by your logic we have complete idiots in charge now!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Things are pretty bad at the moment, this is the worst Charlton team I've seen and its not good , I believe it will get worse before it gets better, dreading the saints game , think we will get smashed, sounds like things are heating up in Libya at the moment puts a bit of perspective on sport.[/quote]

Didn't we say the same when we dropped out of the PL? It will be nice to win a few again in the FLC!

Didn't we say the same when we dropped out of the FLC? It will be nice to win a few again in the FL1!

Will we be saying the same again soon? It will get worse before it gets better.....but when will we stop getting worse!?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kev if you give up on hope what do you have left?
  • Options
    the pain that is supporting charlton athletic
  • Options
    Tbf I actually don't have that much confidence for next season. Year after year we've been carting players in and out and there's not one which will go down as a Charlton legend. And they all turn to rubbish.

I fully expect anyone leaving to miraculously play better at their new club as well.
  • Options
    Dark days ...
  • Options
    " You might as well chuck money in the Thames."

Which way does the tide flow?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]What is Powell mean to say, "these players are an utter disgrace to the shirt and very few of them will be here next season because we are not going to renew their contracts and have millions to spend".

Exactly
    Actions speak louder than words and we'll know come september what the new owners are really about
    They can't shout from the roof tops " we're loaded you minges and we're gonna spunk it getting promoted so chill out you fooking clowns"
    Cos then they might as well toss it into the thames
    Let's face it they had a punt on powell and its failed massively
    As a gambler I'd give em credit for giving it a go
    Shame they weren't about to punt the day pardew was dispatched
    I'm pretty sure parky would have had us in/near the play offs but whose to say that the "5th" spot he had us in may have been just as solid as the "5th" spot we were in for so long in the championship , when we finished 11th !

the right thing to do from now on in imo is to support the team towards safety, sit tight and see what the summer brings and I'd personally give powell to the end of november to see if he has what it takes and atm he isn't showing great signs but rome wasn't built in a day all tho charlton was destroyed in a second the day sir alan curbishley left
  • Options
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    Im all for showing patience Airman.

Its just a shame the board didnt show patience after one horrible defeat on January 3rd. If they werent so impatient for success then maybe we wouldnt be in quite the mess we are in now and probably looking forward to a play off battle on Tuesday night.

Sometimes the hypicrosy on here staggers me beyond belief.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If the board really do intend to provide resources for success I struggle to understand why they didn't do more in January, and in the loan market. When Parkinson went we were within touching distance of second and the playoffs looked like a shoe in.

Maybe there is a grand plan for the summer, but had we scraped promotion this season, which must have been a possibility in January, this summer we could have been building a squad to challenge for 6th place in the Championship, rather than 2nd place in the 3rd division.

I'd love to show patience, but I think it's unfair to give up with so many of the games I've already paid for (in advance) yet to be played, and I am sick and tired if this horrible division, and back in January I believed we had a chance to get out of it, and due to the actions of those running the club that chance has now gone.

I remember the old board refusing to discuss what the plans were for the 3rd division when Parky was first appointed. I do hope that the new owners will show the patience to cover the running costs if we are relegated this season.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]If the board really do intend to provide resources for success I struggle to understand why they didn't do more in January, and in the loan market. When Parkinson went we were within touching distance of second and the playoffs looked like a shoe in.

Maybe there is a grand plan for the summer, but had we scraped promotion this season, which must have been a possibility in January, this summer we could have been building a squad to challenge for 6th place in the Championship, rather than 2nd place in the 3rd division.

I'd love to show patience, but I think it's unfair to give up with so many of the games I've already paid for (in advance) yet to be played, and I am sick and tired if this horrible division, and back in January I believed we had a chance to get out of it, and due to the actions of those running the club that chance has now gone.

I remember the old board refusing to discuss what the plans were for the 3rd division when Parky was first appointed. I do hope that the new owners will show the patience to cover the running costs if we are relegated this season.

The point of course is that the board did not believe the play-offs were a shoo-in. They did not believe in Phil Parkinson at all, which is why they dispensed with him. Of course you can have a different view, with or without the benefit of hindsight, but that's why he was sacked. They didn't believe he was up to it.

That's a completely different argument from whether or not Chris Powell is up to it, because Parky wasn't sacked so that he could be brought in. The decision was taken entirely on his own merits. Even if the Chris Powell appointment was wrong it was a separate decision. It's well documented that he wasn't first choice.

It's quite ridiculous to suggest, as others have, that Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater - two men with no history at the club - made a "sentimental" decision to appoint Chris. It may have been attempt to exploit sentiment within the fanbase, but that isn't the same thing.

I don't think the board gave up on this season until at least as recently as last weekend. After all they brought in two more loan players the day before that. The timing of the change had an impact on their ability to identify and bring in better players in January.

This is a horrible situation and the board have to put it right. They know that as well as anyone on here. Unlike the old board, they have the means to do so.