Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NO big turn around of players in summer says powell!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: joeaddick[/cite]
    And as DickPlumb said... So why did they buy this club in this division then? Even if its run prudently, still a big loss maker in Div 1... So by your logic we have complete idiots in charge now!

I think you're the complete idiot, surely their plans are to get the club promoted and make a profit......
  • Options
    There really are some headless chickens doing a lot of squawking at the moment...so many conclusions being jumped to.....history is being rewritten and our likeable but inept former manager has strangely now become some sort of lower league Sir Alex Ferguson. At the end of the day, many people (including the board, most importantly) didn't think that he was up to either the job of getting us promoted or the long term goal of building a succesful team. When he was sacked we were already in freefall, CP came in and fluked a couple of results to paper over the cracks, but the deficiencies in the team are there for all to see and we are playing like shit because most of the useless tossers know that they will be shown the door at the season's end. If we can survive this season without falling out of the division completely, then we can only hope that big changes are on the way. I feel confident that they are coming, because without them, the new board's investment would be a dead duck and they will not allow that to happen. What CP has said is something of a (somewhat belated) rearguard action and it doesn't come across well, but neither has his strange confidfence in the powers of Mr McOxo, for instance. These things are cause for concern and he has to accept the resultant criticism, but sacking him now would propel us beyond farce into outright lunacy. Relax everybody.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]If the board really do intend to provide resources for success I struggle to understand why they didn't do more in January, and in the loan market. When Parkinson went we were within touching distance of second and the playoffs looked like a shoe in.

Maybe there is a grand plan for the summer, but had we scraped promotion this season, which must have been a possibility in January, this summer we could have been building a squad to challenge for 6th place in the Championship, rather than 2nd place in the 3rd division.

I'd love to show patience, but I think it's unfair to give up with so many of the games I've already paid for (in advance) yet to be played, and I am sick and tired if this horrible division, and back in January I believed we had a chance to get out of it, and due to the actions of those running the club that chance has now gone.

I remember the old board refusing to discuss what the plans were for the 3rd division when Parky was first appointed. I do hope that the new owners will show the patience to cover the running costs if we are relegated this season.

The point of course is that the board did not believe the play-offs were a shoo-in. They did not believe in Phil Parkinson at all, which is why they dispensed with him. Of course you can have a different view, with or without the benefit of hindsight, but that's why he was sacked. They didn't believe he was up to it.

That's a completely different argument from whether or not Chris Powell is up to it, because Parky wasn't sacked so that he could be brought in. The decision was taken entirely on his own merits. Even if the Chris Powell appointment was wrong it was a separate decision. It's well documented that he wasn't first choice.

It's quite ridiculous to suggest, as others have, that Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater - two men with no history at the club - made a "sentimental" decision to appoint Chris. It may have been attempt to exploit sentiment within the fanbase, but that isn't the same thing.

I don't think the board gave up on this season until at least as recently as last weekend. After all they brought in two more loan players the day before that. The timing of the change had an impact on their ability to identify and bring in better players in January.

This is a horrible situation and the board have to put it right. They know that as well as anyone on here. Unlike the old board, they have the means to do so.
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]If the board really do intend to provide resources for success I struggle to understand why they didn't do more in January, and in the loan market. When Parkinson went we were within touching distance of second and the playoffs looked like a shoe in.

Maybe there is a grand plan for the summer, but had we scraped promotion this season, which must have been a possibility in January, this summer we could have been building a squad to challenge for 6th place in the Championship, rather than 2nd place in the 3rd division.

I'd love to show patience, but I think it's unfair to give up with so many of the games I've already paid for (in advance) yet to be played, and I am sick and tired if this horrible division, and back in January I believed we had a chance to get out of it, and due to the actions of those running the club that chance has now gone.

I remember the old board refusing to discuss what the plans were for the 3rd division when Parky was first appointed. I do hope that the new owners will show the patience to cover the running costs if we are relegated this season.

The point of course is that the board did not believe the play-offs were a shoo-in. They did not believe in Phil Parkinson at all, which is why they dispensed with him. Of course you can have a different view, with or without the benefit of hindsight, but that's why he was sacked. They didn't believe he was up to it.

That's a completely different argument from whether or not Chris Powell is up to it, because Parky wasn't sacked so that he could be brought in. The decision was taken entirely on his own merits. Even if the Chris Powell appointment was wrong it was a separate decision. It's well documented that he wasn't first choice.

It's quite ridiculous to suggest, as others have, that Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater - two men with no history at the club - made a "sentimental" decision to appoint Chris. It may have been attempt to exploit sentiment within the fanbase, but that isn't the same thing.

I don't think the board gave up on this season until at least as recently as last weekend. After all they brought in two more loan players the day before that. The timing of the change had an impact on their ability to identify and bring in better players in January.

This is a horrible situation and the board have to put it right. They know that as well as anyone on here. Unlike the old board, they have the means to do so.

Do they the "have the means"...?
    Other than what fans have reported after small meetings, I've never heard anything official about what financial clout the new board carry, or what they intend to invest in the squad...
  • Options
    They're hardly going to broadcast the fact, are they? We will have to wait and see what happens, that is the only option that we have.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    Actions speak louder than words and we'll know come september what the new owners are really about
    They can't shout from the roof tops " we're loaded you minges and we're gonna spunk it getting promoted so chill out you fooking clowns"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bigstemarra[/cite]They're hardly going to broadcast the fact, are they? We will have to wait and see what happens, that is the only option that we have.

They don't have to, but many other takeovers have...
    Agreed it's about waiting and seeing what happens, but many fans are already assuming that cash will be splashed in the summer, that CP will put it right then, all without knowing what resources are available....
  • Options
    Its not like he couldve said everyone is going and im spending millions is it?
  • Options
    Well lets get the 3 points we need and then he can tell them... and Id even go for the deliberate 10 men, so when they are playing dreadully we take an additional man off, he needs to toughen up he needs to get serious and demand some performances, he is gettting nothing from his team at the moment, they are going out as lambs to the slaughter... I have no idea what he says to these guys, but it aint working...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uie2[/cite]he said on cafc offical site ! ever going to happen says powell! NO millions to spend! mite as well walk know then!

I think your quote may have been taken out of context. I've now read the full article and to me it makes sense. I've re-printed some of the quote below-:

When asked if the club had reached rock bottom, he remained bullish, saying: "No, not at all. I would never say that because we have games to go.
    "We have Southampton rolling in on Tuesday and that is another chance for us to try to change it around.
    "Now we've got to regroup and try to arrest the slide, to go back to basics and learn from it. We need to.
    "There is no magic wand. We can't just go out and spend millions; that's not going to happen. So the players that are here are going to have to dig deep, everyone has to, to try to arrest this slide."

Of course he cant go out and spend millions...the transfer window is shut for one reason and he's hardly going to announce how much we have to spend (if we do of course) as that is liable to inflate prices for potential players. He needs the players he has now to see the season out and win as many games as possible.....currently he cant change the squad.

He then goes onto say that, again reprinted below-:

Pressed on plans to radically reshape his squad ahead of next season, Powell said: "I wouldn't say anything about [recruiting] another group of players. You can't be so flippant and say 'I'm just going to move these players and move another load in'. That will never happen.
    "We have got players out of contract so they are thinking about their livelihoods and their futures, which is right.
    "We need to have a squad and build a squad that is going to compete and move us forward."

Once again, he cant say he's getting rid of x,y and z, as he still needs them to compete this season, he is short on numbers as it is.....he doesnt want yet more players giving up now.....god knows some have already!!