Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Southampton - 22 March 2011. Preview, Poll and Comments

WSSWSS
edited March 2011 in General Charlton
When this game was first postponed it was a promotion "six pointer". Some took comfort that Mr D'Urso had acted so bizarrely as, with a takeover imminent, it was hoped that the squad would be stronger and deeper by the time the game was re-scheduled.

How things change.

We are on a terrible run and there is no point going over the reasons or culprits for that again here. Confidence, on the pitch and in the stands, is lower than a very low thing that is laying down in a deep hole. Some players minds are said to already switched off but the squad is still too small to make radical changes.

Dean Parrett and Frank Nouble seem sure to play in centre mid and upfront respectively. Either Worner or Sullivan will be in goal. Other than that it's hard to predict which players, which positions and which formation we'll choose so we're not going to even try. Yes, we are Preview Mansions are as p****** off as everyone else.

Southampton sit fourth but will know that this is one of their games in hand. Win those and they could go second. Their points per game tally is only bettered by Brighton.

They are also on a roll of four straight wins. They score goals but more importantly they don't let many in, at least not since they replaced Alan Pardew with Nigel Atkins. Even the lore of the "ex-player always scores" may not be enough for former Saint Bradley Wright-Phillips to conjure up a goal.

This could really be embarrassing but I don't think it will be. I think it will just be routine. 2 - 0 Saints without getting out of 2nd gear.

Comments

• Options
    Comfy win for the Saints and the poor run continues
  • Options
    wow 100% for a Saints win
  • Options
    I predict total and utter humiliation tomorrow night, anything else will be an absolute miracle, 0-3 (at best)
  • Options
    I normally back Charlton but can't see us winning unless perversely the fact that the play offs seem out of reach somehow galvanises the side. I think on 48 points we should stagger over the finish line and relegation is unlikely .

This is the lowest I have felt about Charlton since Selhurst Park and the worst group of players since the Third Division mid 1970's side who I saw but can't really say I remember because I was about 7 or 8 at the time .

It will turn hopefully soon .
  • Options
    This is going to be one shite night!
  • Options
    Put names in a hat and pull them out.

Would say go 4-5-1 but BWP can't play that role and I wouldn't drop him against his former club plus he knows where the goal is.

Midfield and defence looks lost and beyond repair for this season tbh.

Just hope I see a committed performance and if I see them busting a gut and being beaten by a better team I can't complain too much. If we go a goal down and give up without a fight I won't be happy, put some pride back in the shirt

Never bet against my team before but Southampton at evens is surely like free money for tomorrow?
  • Options
    Sitting in a new part of the ground as a test to find out where I will be moving to in swap week so hopefully a new seat will change our luck but deep down, I'm worried as I think Southampton could put 3 or 4 past us.

Will happily take a lucky 1-0 though, BWP to score from a 89th minute corner
  • Options
    well a rare outing against a football team rather than a pub side for our pub side

anything but a defeat will be a miracle just go easy on SCP you inbreds
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stick around til the final whistle everyone: Strong rumour there is going to be a mass punch up at the final whistle between the charlton players who give a toss (outnumbered) and those that don't. CP will break his dignity and put on a kung-fu head band (like Hong kong Phuey) and fly kick his way through the trash (high screeches and all - high-ya, whaaaaaa).
  • Options
    With our eyes fully focussed on next season, it could be argued that as the biggest club in this division and financially sound, we should desperately want Southampton to get out of the division this season.

As every turn we take as a club turns out of to be the wrong one, no doubt we'll cock that up and go and beat them.

All i hope for is an angry, spirited performance and i really don't care if our squad of wasters use sticking two fingers up at the fans as their motivation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 it will feel like a victory.
  • Options
    A loss. Only 3 things I'm hoping for. (1) We actually score a goal, (2) Its not embarassing (3) The team shows some sign of fight or spririt. At the moment I'd take that...
  • Options
    0 3 & I will take that now!
  • Options
    As someone else said, southampton @ evens is a license to print.
    ps. i wonder who has laid us @ 10's on the relegation market on betfair?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]This is going to be one shite night!

this, the atmosphere will get nasty I fear within the first 30 mins if things go badly
  • Options
    We've not been playing well lately but still winning games which is important.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see us drop points on Tuesday, it's something Southampton would do.

The away end should be packed on Tuesday night with our recent good form, sadly I won't be in attendance.

I suspect BWP will give Jaidi (If he plays) a run around.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We've not been playing well lately but still winning games which is important.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see us drop points on Tuesday, it's something Southampton would do.

The away end should be packed on Tuesday night with our recent good form, sadly I won't be in attendance.

Come on Saints make your mind up, "We've not been playing well lately" then "The away end should be packed on Tuesday night with our recent good form"

Our heads have been messed with enough already so don't you start ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We've not been playing well lately

You don't even know what not playing well is !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saints fan[/cite]We've not been playing well lately but still winning games which is important.

Thanks very much for rubbing it in mate. Do feel free to visit again soon to rub more in, perhaps after you beat us 4-0 tomorrow you can come on and say "ah, we've had better days" ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I normally back Charlton but can't see us winning unless perversely the fact that the play offs seem out of reach somehow galvanises the side. I think on 48 points we should stagger over the finish line and relegation is unlikely .

This is the lowest I have felt about Charlton since Selhurst Park and the worst group of players since the Third Division mid 1970's side who I saw but can't really say I remember because I was about 7 or 8 at the time .

It will turn hopefully soon .[/quote]

In the mid 1970's (1975 onwards) we were in the 2nd Division and the "worst group of players" included, Hales, Flanagan, Powell (Paddy), Bowman, Warman, Tutt, Peacock and the late Bob Curtis.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I want to see some fight even if we don’t win. I’d be happy if we just turned up and ground out a nil nil - against promotion contenders that could actually be a confidence boost. Also another point towards safety.
  • Options
    I can't find any way to vote other than a win for Saints. Might be more interesting to try and get the score right.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: eaststandmike[/cite]

Come on Saints make your mind up, "We've not been playing well lately" then "The away end should be packed on Tuesday night with our recent good form"

Our heads have been messed with enough already so don't you start ;-)

Haha, sorry!

Just out of interest anyone remember Saints last win at The Valley? Seems like we're due a win at your place sometime soon.

Also anyone know if D'Urso is the referee? He usually denies Saints a clear penalty.
  • Options
    If D'Urso is ref it will probably be called off.

Can't see s winning this one, but as things are, can't see when we'll get a win.
  • Options
    Demoralised, disorganised, disunited, demotivated, injury-hit and rudderless.
    Could be a cricket score, but lets hope we are all saying " isn't football a funny game" after the final whistle.
  • Options
    In the mid 1970's (1975 onwards) we were in the 2nd Division and the "worst group of players" included, Hales, Flanagan, Powell (Paddy), Bowman, Warman, Tutt, Peacock and the late Bob Curtis.

I meant the 72/74 period when I think we finished 11th in Division Three ( about the same legue position as now ) . I did saw I was young then .

Likewise we still have some players like Jackson , Wright-Phillips , Dailly and Anyinsah who I am being harsh on , but as a group they are woeful .
  • Options
    5-1 to the Saints.

Paddy Powell hangs up his half time fork to show the wide players just how easy it is to cross a football to another member of the team.
    A disguntled fan throws his season ticket/programme/hot dog wrapper in the general direction of the dug out................but like the players he misses by a considerable distance.
    Darren Pitcher is signed on a one months loan.
    Michael Slater leaves early to seek counselling and CP tells the press after the game that he'll have the players ready for Bournemouth but they will have to pay for their own deckchairs.
  • Options
    4-0 Saints
  • Options
    I fear a long evening instore tomorrow night, not helped by D'Urso being his usual smug self.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I honestly think we could give them a real game but my team wouldn't be subtle or pretty. Horses for courses I'm afraid. The team that Powell will put out will probably be out battled as well as outclassed with McCormack and Fry in so predict easy Saints win of 2-0 or 3-0. He will want them to compete and hope the class comes out. Unfortunately, I have come to the belated conclusion that there is nothing to come out - the bottle is empty so lets play route 1 - crowd the midfiled - double up on their better players, have big lumps pushing their weight about and see if Southampton like it up em Mr Mainwareing!!