Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++++Letter from Mr Slater+++++

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
the following has just popped through my letterbox.

Dear ......

I am writing to thank you for your continuing support as a season ticket holder this year and to let you know that all of us on the board share the disappointment and frustration that I'm sure you are feeling about our recent run of results.

There's no point in me trying to disguise the fact that I'm also writing to try and encourage you to continue your support by buying a season ticket for next season.

We are conscious that until very recently the club was locked in a spiral of decline following relegation from the Premier League in 2007 and fans like you have shown extraordinary loyalty over that period. I can well understand if your patience is stretched to breaking point.

Supporting Charlton at the moment isn't easy. It's not for the faint-hearted, but please don't give up on your team.

When Tony Jimenez and I assumed control of the club at the turn of the year, we were well aware of the many issues that had to be addressed on and off the pitch to take the club forward again. We also felt that the squad had to be improved in order to gain promotion. We have taken steps to improve that situation, with some changes of personnel and the appointment of Chris Powell as manager. After four straight wins perhas we all started to think that Chris might have a magic wand but rcent results have confirmed what we and Chris believe - the squad must be strengthend.

i want to assure that change is coming. Nobody can guarentee success, but we did not come to Charlton to run it as a league one club. It is not a viable business in this division.

The board recognises that the only way out of this situation is to invest in the playing squad without making the mistake that so many other clubs make by panic buying in January. A better squad means better performances which will attract more fans and generate greater revenues for the club to invest.

We are not going to spend recklessly or hastily and nothing will be done without Chris's say so, but I want to assure you that we know what needs to be done and over the coming months you will significant investment to that end.

If you have already renewed your season ticket for 2011/12, I thank you and hope what I have said gives you cause for optimism. If you haven't, I trust it will encourage you to do so by the deadline of April 4th to take advantage of reduced prices.

I'm confident the next season will be better than this one and that in years to come you'll look back with pride in the knowledge that you stuck with the club through thick and thin.

On a personal note, I would like to thank you for the warm welcome Tony and i have received over the past few months. We are absolutely determined to repay that reception with success on the pitch, and sooner rather than later.

Onwards and upwards.

Michael Slater
Chairmen

Discuss.........

Comments

• Options
    Initial reaction, reassuring and well timed.

By pledging 'significant investment' though, the marker has publicly been set.
  • Options
    Mick Collins? ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: siz-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    suppose in essence the content echoes a lot of what Mick Collins said in his "Blame" piece yesterday and although I for one have issues with some of Mick's points and not least serious doubts about Chris Powell; I have to say I found the Chairman's letter invigorating and inspiring.
    Key passages for me: -
    "I want to assure you that change is coming. Nobody can guarantee success, but we did not come to Charlton to run it as a League 1 club"
    "The Board recognises that the only way out of this situation is to invest in the playing squad withoutthe mistake....of panic buying in January"
    "We are not going to spend recklessly or hastily and nothing will be done without Chris's say so but I want to assure you...over the coming months you will see significant investment to that end"
    "I can well understand if your patience has been stretched to breaking point...but please don't give up on your team"

I have to say that reading this letter has given me a real boost.
    Needless to say Mr. Chairman you can count on my support as ever
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fine rallying cry

"The board recognises that the only way out of this situation is to invest in the playing squad without making the mistake that so many other clubs make by panic buying in January. A better squad means better performances which will attract more fans and generate greater revenues for the club to invest.

We are not going to spend recklessly or hastily and nothing will be done without Chris's say so, but I want to assure you that we know what needs to be done and over the coming months you will significant investment to that end."

This is significant IMHO. First mention of "significant" spending. How much that is we shall see over the summer but the letter says all the right things.

The proof the pudding will be, as ever, in the eating.

I've not renewed but I'd already bought a five year ST anyway.
  • Options
    I'm hurt, I thought I was special and the only one to receive the letter. It had my name on the top and everything.

Well meaning though and hope it helps reassure a few people.
  • Options
    cheers Clem Side for reproducing on here as well
  • Options
    Yes, but these are the sort of words we want and indeed need to hear.
  • Options
    1 CP will remain manager, no matter what
    2 "Significant investment"-tempter to buy season tickets
    3 Written off this season (what about possible relegation?)
    4 Huge turnover of players in the summer
    5 Honest enough-patience stretching to breaking point etc
    6 Not a viable business in this division-oh dear

Think most of it has been discussed on here before but at least they are communicating with us.

2 more wins this season, safe from relegation and then to next season with what will seem like a clean sweep in terms of playing staff.
  • Options
    Also states that Powell will be here in the summer to spend that money so we can forget the calls for "Sack Powell now".

Good news IMHO
  • Options
    We have heard the right words from Mr Murray for the last 6 years we need a sign on the pitch that the tailspins over.
    One 90 minute performance would be a start.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Dear Mr Slater
    I'm sorry, I have to disagree with some of your points. That squad which was not good enough, with the inept manager that we had, was 5th in the league with games in hand, a feat that, on reflection, was no cause for concern on my behalf. Now I understand that Parkinson wasn't in your long term plans as you clearly felt he wasn't up to it, but so far I believe that Chris Powell isn't up to the task in hand either. The recent run of games we have witness doesn't prove the squad isn't good enough in my eyes, but it highlights the ineptitude of the new management team. And in any case if the squad isn't good enough, a squad which by and large we have had for the entire season, and if anything strengthened in January, then this highlights the excellent job that the previous management was doing, so in both situations you have helped cost us promotion this season, which is not what I call 'making progress'. I hope that we can consolidate our position and achieve our new target of avoiding relegation, and wish you all the very best of luck in the running of my beloved Charlton Athletic in the future, I have a feeling we will all need it!
    Yours sincerely,
    Sam3110
  • Options
    Mr Slater must read on here. I wanted a statement of intent before renewing and it looks I may get one (If he's sent me one)
  • Options
    This is exactly what I have been asking for, and I am greatly encouraged. I am also proud to note that despite the pain of recent performances, the vast majority of supporters have stayed loyal to the cause to their great credit. I am reminded of that great poem, Into the Valley of death, rode the 14,000. Keep showing courage everybody, the journey back will be that much sweeter.
  • Options
    Mr Slater really does know how to handle people doesn't he! Every time he speaks it is measured, concise and always lifts me.

I desperately want this to work out and the club will, as always, have my support

I am also more convinced than ever that Mr Slater (or his people) read this site.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]1 CP will remain manager, no matter what
    7. Clear message from owners and management to current squad- "you are rubbish".

Hence the piss poor performances we have been witnessing even from excellent pros like Dailly.
    Makes the current players feel like turkeys waiting for Xmas and although some clearly are, this is not smart management or motivation.
  • Options
    well done Mr Slater.

I've already renewed, but that has given me hope...
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    Saying the club is not a viable business (note the word business) in this division either (which we all knew of course), get a feeling if we don't go up next year then they will all run away and we'll be left in the right sh*t.

Encouraged but nervous.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

I am also more convinced than ever that Mr Slater (or his people) read this site.

People at the Club do nothing else but read this site FACT ; - )

We know Rick Everitt and Matt Wright do as they post on here. At least one other member of staff is a member and others, including the board, read it.

Do they use it as a litmus test of opinion? IMHO yes. However, without upsetting AFKA and Lookie, I don't think what is said on here drives decision making or sets policy at the Club.

But at least they read CL and that is good.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]1 CP will remain manager, no matter what
    7. Clear message from owners and management to current squad- "you are rubbish".

Hence the piss poor performances we have been witnessing even from excellent pros like Dailly.
    Makes the current players feel like turkeys waiting for Xmas and although some clearly are, this is not smart management or motivation.

I think that Genie is already out of the bottle. The players and there agents already know so this letter will make no difference.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Saying the club is not a viable business (note the word business) in this division either (which we all knew of course), get a feeling if we don't go up next year then they will all run away and we'll be left in the right sh*t.

Encouraged but nervous.

That is a worry but they haven't said that or put a timeframe on it.

But it does make the apparent willingness to "write off the season" seem even more strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll tell you what Mr Slater - knowck off another £25 this season as a result of 'writing it off' and I'll sign up for a season ticket today. Deal?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Did the spelling mistakes occur in translation or were they present in the original?

After four straight wins perhas we all started to think

i want to assure that

Nobody can guarentee success

welcome Tony and i have received over

Michael Slater
    Chairmen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]7. Clear message from owners and management to current squad- "you are rubbish".

I still think that message could've been handled in a better way - play well and you'll earn another contract, play badly and you're out of the door and get to find out how valuable you really are to another club. With regards to Dailly, surely he's in his last season? You'd think he'd want to go out on a high. I'm mystified as to what's going on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]Hence the piss poor performances we have been witnessing even from excellent pros like Dailly.

In every normal business I know, when it comes under pressure, people know that the ones that perform will be safe, and may get a pay rise, and the ones who slack, are in danger of getting the push.

Why on earth should it be any different for a bunch of footballers who are nearly all paid more than probably most of us who regularly post here?
  • Options
    Oh, the irony : - )

Sorry Dave but I had to laugh. Make sure you wear that badge tonight.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think that Genie is already out of the bottle. The players and there agents already know so this letter will make no difference.

14 players out of contract ...... and 14 agents trying to secure the best possible deal for their player, and earn themselves a cut.

And 14 players going through the motions ....?
  • Options
    It seems like a statement of fact - the business model would surely have been around Charlton being a solid Championship club. It would worry me more if he said we are going to ensure Charlton is viable long term in League 1 - that would truely be frightening for our future.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is this what Airman Brown meant when he said on another thread that we will hear more soon ? In any case I liked what I heard and it broadly fell into line with what I was expecting although it's actually very nice to hear it confirmed.

It certainly doesn't disguise the fact that there will be wholesale changes to the playing staff so as speculated elsewhere many of the current playing staff already know they have no future at The Valley. I expect this season to fizzle quietly out now and pray we can get enough points to forget about the unthinkable sooner rather than later.

I am encouraged.
  • Options
    Encouraged for sure... As for the playing staf they need a kick up the backside... as for them running away if we dont go up next year, well ultimately they own the club so they would have to find new buyers, they couldnt just hand the keys back and they did, Im sure someone would want to come in and take over with zero purchase price, even if we are still losing money every week....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]Hence the piss poor performances we have been witnessing even from excellent pros like Dailly.

In every normal business I know, when it comes under pressure, people know that the ones that perform will be safe, and may get a pay rise, and the ones who slack, are in danger of getting the push.

Why on earth should it be any different for a bunch of footballers who are nearly all paid more than probably most of us who regularly post here?

true but if you were told "I only want fluent Czech speakers here and if you can't do that you're out in the summer" how would you feel?

For "Czech speakers" read "players who can play the way I want my team to play"

PS I'm sure your Czech is excellent R.