Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++++Letter from Mr Slater+++++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Oh, the irony : - )

Sorry Dave but I had to laugh. Make sure you wear that badge tonight.

Eh?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]Hence the piss poor performances we have been witnessing even from excellent pros like Dailly.
    Makes the current players feel like turkeys waiting for Xmas and although some clearly are, this is not smart management or motivation.

In every normal business I know, when it comes under pressure, people know that the ones that perform will be safe, and may get a pay rise, and the ones who slack, are in danger of getting the push.

Why on earth should it be any different for a bunch of footballers who are nearly all paid more than probably most of us who regularly post here?

I get your point, but in any normal business if you told your entire production line that they were rubbish and would all be sacked at the end of the year would you expect them all to be clocking on early and volunteering for unpaid overtime?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Oh, the irony : - )

Sorry Dave but I had to laugh. Make sure you wear that badge tonight.

Eh?

just pulling your leg over the cut and paste problems with your original post. you've edited it now.
  • Options
    I quickly typed it out whilst laying on the sofa. Apologies if my typing skills aren't up to scratch. Next time I won't bother and I'll leave it for you to perfectly transcribe Dave.

FFS. As if the club would send a chairman's letter out with spelling mistakes in it!

The level of nitpicking and pedanticness on this site never ceases to amaze me.
  • Options
    It's good he has acknowledged that there are problems and he's told me what I wanted to hear.

But ultimately it's just another flyer to flog more season tickets. It's all "we're gonna do this, we're not going to do that". He's good at saying the 'right thing' however after publicly backing 'n' sacking Parky I can't say that I completely trust Slater yet.

His manifesto today will be the yardstick to test my trust in him and I'll see how he measures up to those words come 1st September.
  • Options
    A timely piece of PR, not surprising though, as the natives have become extremely restless recently. I think I'll wait and see what the close season brings before I start doing cartwheels down Floyd Road.
  • Options
    I'm grateful Clem. My postie doesn't arrive much before 3pm and reading that now has given me a lift that I otherwise wouldn't have got for another 3 hours.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I quickly typed it out whilst laying on the sofa. Apologies if my typing skills aren't up to scratch. Next time I won't bother and I'll leave it for you to perfectly transcribe Dave.

FFS. As if the club would send a chairman's letter out with spelling mistakes in it!

1zmm1s0.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Zinedine Bagheri[/cite]He's good at saying the 'right thing' however after publicly backing 'n' sacking Parky I can't say that I completely trust Slater yet.

I don't get this. Not wanting to open up the whole Parky debate but when Slater came in they said they had no intention of replacing Parky. We then had a few bad results and very poor performances and they changed their minds. Are they not allowed to do that ? Once backed how long should they have waited before being allowed to change their minds ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Zinedine Bagheri[/cite]He's good at saying the 'right thing' however after publicly backing 'n' sacking Parky I can't say that I completely trust Slater yet.

I don't get this. Not wanting to open up the whole Parky debate but when Slater came in they said they had no intention of replacing Parky. We then had a few bad results and very poor performances and they changed their minds. Are they not allowed to do that ? Once backed how long should they have waited before being allowed to change their minds ?

not a few, one.

Yes, they can change their mind but ZB is correct. They back PP and sacked him less than a week later after one, very bad, performance.

Yes they had been at Col U and Brighton away but it was still only one game after publically backing him that they sacked him.

Anyway, it's all words. Lets see what Powell does with the money in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]I quickly typed it out whilst laying on the sofa. Apologies if my typing skills aren't up to scratch. Next time I won't bother and I'll leave it for you to perfectly transcribe Dave.

Just got my letter.

They've spelt my first name wrong.

Was just about to renew 2 season tickets but if they can't get my name right, I won't be bothering :)
  • Options
    I bet they're glad they never said Powell will be judged on results :)
  • Options
    Am renewing anyway but it was a nice letter to read and certainly makes me feel a little more optimistic about the short and long term future of the club.

Also excellent to hear they are backing CP.
  • Options
    Bloody good salesman, should he ever step down at Charlton i would like to have a discussion with him about joining my sales team
  • Options
    wish i was back in the UK, would be renewing & looking forward to next season - at last I hope the tide will be turning; also hoping that Brighton, Southampton & Huddersfield go up, because the 3 coming down are pretty weak.
  • Options
    Well said Mr Slater.

If any of the current players are stupid enough to believe that giving less than 100% this season will help their future careers with Charlton or anyone else - they are just that - stupid.

All negativity, blame and excuses is now a thing of the past - the fightback begins tonight!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]I bet they're glad they never said Powell will be judged on results :)

LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]wish i was back in the UK, would be renewing & looking forward to next season - at last I hope the tide will be turning; also hoping that Brighton, Southampton & Huddersfield go up, because the 3 coming down are pretty weak.

was discussing this earlier and this is exactly what I said
  • Options
    It's just words on a piece of paper at the moment, let's see what happens.

I have a 5 year season ticket, at the moment I feel deflated about (and regret) that.

The burning question is: Why write off a season that we were well and truly in a prime position of promotion in? Does that make sense to ANYONE?

Oh, and the board DO read CL: Mr Varney told me on my 'special day out' in the boardroom vs. Peterborough.

Perhaps they can answer my question then?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think we should wait and see. Anyone has run a business will tell you that not all times are good times. Never forget that football is just another business with some idiosyncratic quirks, but it is nonetheless a business. If they know what they are doing, they are biding their time to re-build the club step by step. If we had come 6th this year and lost the play offs, it would have still meant 8 consecutive years of decline in terms of league position.

I think these guys are saying the right things. As with any business that needs to turn round, it is not done over night. I think that what they took over was no more than a potentially good club. Give it two years and then judge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not gonna be popular but.......
    [cite]Posted By: mr slater[/cite]I can well understand if your patience is stretched to breaking point.

then you'll understand why i am not renewing.
    [cite]Posted By: mr slater[/cite]A better squad means better performances which will attract more fans .

i'll look forward to the half season ticket offer that i will have no option but to take up as we storm to the title next season.
  • Options
    My postman has just been and no letter.

Yet again the five year season ticket holders are ignored. Taken our money and left to one side.

Slater out!

: - )
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I think you'll find it's 'pedantry'.

In turn, let me congratulate you on your diligence, sofa or no sofa. Typing that lot out is above and beyond the call of duty.
  • Options
    At the risk of being accused of being a synic, I have to say that we have heard this type of thing before. It does mean that Slater is putting his reputation on the line as if the club now fail to invest in the squad there will be recorse to him. However, as something like 14 players will be leaving in the summer there is no way we will be able to accuse him of not rebuilding the squad, even ig it is no better than last season.

My take on things like this, to be honest, is that if it encourages more fans to renew then that's great. The more money the club have the better. However, from a selfish point of view, I remain to be convinced so I'm not going to deviate from my initial plan to see what happens before I renew. I seriously doubt that I will not be there in August, but I'm not going to be committing anytime soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]wish i was back in the UK, would be renewing & looking forward to next season - at last I hope the tide will be turning;also hoping that Brighton, Southampton & Huddersfield go up, because the 3 coming down are pretty weak.

was discussing this earlier and this is exactly what I said

It's got to be I hope.

Those three will be even stronger next year if they don't go up, whereas the other sides (Bournemouth, Orient etc) who are also in with a chance will hopefully stay at their current level or have their sides broken up and have to start again. Not sure I'd say "the 3 coming down are pretty weak" though.
  • Options
    Blimey some of you lot will be taken in by anything.

Will probably shift a few more season tickets though.

Think we have heard varying degrees of this message for about 5 years in a row.

Problem is I believed it more from Richard Murray.
  • Options
    The letter can only be a positive thing (unless you are absolutely adamant that CP isn't the right man for the job) and also acts as a bit of a vote of confidence for CP I guess. It doesn't really say anything we don't know mind you and the fact that nobody in their right mind would want to take over just to inherit an ongoing debt, assures me that we will be looking for promotion anyway. My only concern is that CP was an unknown quantity managerialy when he took over and what he has done so far certainly hasn't impressed me and our next lot of investment has to be spent well. Weighing all things up, sticking with CP is the logical thing to do. Just hope he can stop this losing streak because if the wheels come rigfht off tonight and we continue losing where do we go from there? I'm guessing we stick with CP come what may?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Blimey some of you lot will be taken in by anything.

can't remember RM saying in print with his name at the bottom 'we know what needs to be done and over the coming months you will see significant investment to that end'.

I'm encouraged by it and the more season tickets we sell the more that will aid the investment. Well done MS.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Blimey some of you lot will be taken in by anything.

Nail on the head for me, heard it all before no longer believe anything the club says, only interested in what action they take now, words are meaningless. If we sign a load of players & have a cracking season next year great, all pie in the sky at the moment though.
  • Options
    Saying the right things, encouraging, but as said just words at the moment. Looking forward to the summer and seeing what level of players we manage to bring in.