Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Credit where it's due?

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Was just wondering if the people who were laying the blame wholly at Chris Powell's door for our run of defeats with vitriol and apparent relish will now be giving him any credit for two very decent points in the last two matches.

Or doesn't it work like that?

Comments

• from the match thread, might have got a point but a disappointing performance yet again, which is what I took from the commentary.Battling performance on tuesday but at no point did we look like winning.I can't wait for this poxy season to finish to see if our board are serious players.

Mate at game very damning and says not to let scoreline hide that we have "no leaders, no manager, no idea, no passion".

His words not mine but he was there.

Sounds like Dagenham again and that but for Robbie we'd have lost.

Seen goals on TV and have to say all four were scappy. Waggy bundled in off his chest I think, bad slice that was going in tipped onto bar to leave them a tap in, their 2nd took big deflection, ball bouncing around in melee when BWP snapped it up.

Up to 12th now.
  • As long we start to build on it, it's two points well gained.
  • The pluses are that we have battled to get a draw, which at least is an improvement, but like three of the four wins at the start of Powelly's reign, we were lucky!
  • edited March 2011
    The results show capability.
    In all honesty - we all love and want Chris Powell to get it right, even if some of us do mask the truth. The board say they are going to back him and spend in the summer. Maybe the best policy is to do things slow and correctly rather than spend and hope. Lets face it, a fair few of these players won't cut the mustard in the championship, so probably our best policy - is to just let Chrissy get on with his work and try learn to have a deeper understanding.
    And yes with more thought, I have changed my opinion on the scenario
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]from the match thread, might have got a point but a disappointing performance yet again, which is what I took from the commentary.Battling performance on tuesday but at no point did we look like winning.I can't wait for this poxy season to finish to see if our board are serious players.

Mate at game very damning and says not to let scoreline hide that we have "no leaders, no manager, no idea, no passion".

Seen goals on TV and have to say all four were scappy. Waggy bundled in off his chest I think, bad slice that was going in tipped onto bar to leave them a tap in, their 2nd took big deflection, ball bouncing around in melee when BWP snapped it up.

Up to 12th now.

Are you Henry in disguise?
  • I was at D&R last week and was shocked by the vitriolic hate directed at the team and management, no one should be subjected to that, but has my opinion that CP has yet to prove he can take us forward been changed by two results then no. The performances need to be turned around and points gained to give respectability between now and the end of the season.

I am glad that there is no point in changing the management between now and the end of the season because it gives CP a chance to prove he is capable of leading the club next season, but if things don't improve then I think Slaters letter will be seen as what it is, an attempt to sell season tickets and bring stability and nothing else.
  • No I still think that Chris Powell is the wrong man to manage the club.
    Two good results against Southampton and Bournemouth doesn't make up for the crap performances before. 3 draws and 7 defeats from the last 10 games is still not acceptable.
    I said in earlier posts he is a nice bloke but a rubbish manager, and I stick by that.

However reading the letter by Michael Slater it would appear that he will be around for a while yet so we can judge how good he really is around November.
  • [cite]Posted By: Billericay Dickie[/cite]No I still think that Chris Powell is the wrong man to manage the club.
    Two good results against Southampton and Bournemouth doesn't make up for the crap performances before. 3 draws and 7 defeats from the last 10 games is still not acceptable.
    I said in earlier posts he is a nice bloke but a rubbish manager, and I stick by that.

However reading the letter by Michael Slater it would appear that he will be around for a while yet so we can judge how good he really is around November.

I am the complete opposite to you, think he will come good eventually & that this time next year we will be there or thereabouts. You cannot realistically judge him until he has had a pre-season & time to build his own team. People witter on about how Parky left us in 5th place in the first week of January, that means nothing, we were then only 3 points from where we are now - 12th.

12th is par for the course for this squad - Parky did well to build a team last summer, I salute him for that. I'm pleased Powell is here, i look forward to what the summer brings & I truly hope you are eating humble pie in 12 months time - don't you?
  • Isn't it 3 points from the last 30?

Credit where it's due.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2011
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Billericay Dickie[/cite]No I still think that Chris Powell is the wrong man to manage the club.

However reading the letter by Michael Slater it would appear that he will be around for a while yet so we can judge how good he really is around November.[/quote]

I am the complete opposite to you, think he will come good eventually & that this time next year we will be there or thereabouts. You cannot realistically judge him until he has had a pre-season & time to build his own team. People witter on about how Parky left us in 5th place in the first week of January, that means nothing, we were then only 3 points from where we are now - 12th.

12th is par for the course for this squad - Parky did well to build a team last summer, I salute him for that. I'm pleased Powell is here, i look forward to what the summer brings & I truly hope you are eating humble pie in 12 months time - don't you?[/quote]

Stop wittering on about parkie. won 4 drawn 3 Lost 7 says enough. If it were not CP every one would be baying for his blood, imagine if this were Eddie Howe, the original choice, no one would be saying he should have a pre season and change the squad. I am pleased that CP is being given the chance to turn it around, but will you stop harking on about Parkie.
  • It would appear not then.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Billericay Dickie[/cite]No I still think that Chris Powell is the wrong man to manage the club.

12th is par for the course for this squad - Parky did well to build a team last summer, I salute him for that. I'm pleased Powell is here, i look forward to what the summer brings & I truly hope you are eating humble pie in 12 months time - don't you?

Stop wittering on about parkie. won 4 drawn 3 Lost 7 says enough. If it were not CP every one would be baying for his blood, imagine if this were Eddie Howe, the original choice, no one would be saying he should have a pre season and change the squad. I am pleased that CP is being given the chance to turn it around, but will you stop harking on about Parkie.

Disagree and you don't get the point i was making.

Powell is being constantly, continually judged now, this season on his results with what he inherited from Parky.

Parky did well to get that squad to what I keep reading was a magical 5th position, the reality is that 5th on Jan 3rd wasn't much different from 12th - where we find ourselves now. This squad is an average, run of the mill mid-table L1 team - the results you quote above amply proove that. My point isn't a barb against Parky, but a point about the yardstick against which CP is being judged.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It would appear not then.

He's brought 2 good performances out of the boys and he deserves credit for that (even though we were mostly second best today the boys still showed spirit and determination - they are definitely playing for him)
    But I'm not sure what you expect, Offy - it's a bit soon to be hailing the Almighty.
    I think it has helped that we have played 2 sides that were looking to win - we seem to struggle and lose belief when we play teams that park the bus and frustrate our feeble attempts to break them down.
    Let's win a game, then we can be liberal with our plaudits
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Isn't it 3 points from the last 30?

Credit where it's due.

Don't take the piss we're on an unbeaten run of two and are averaging a point a game on this run
  • edited March 2011
    For the record november I will pass judgement on SCP
    Till then enjoy the circus !
  • edited March 2011
    Good post, Oakster. Nobody's going to be hanging out the bunting over two points from the last two games. But it was progress of a kind against top six sides - and the point against Southampton has to be seen as a bonus, given that when we all pitched up on Boxing Day, we were in the middle of such a poor run that I think most of us expected to lose.
    Much as we were angry with Andy D'Urso, he probably saved us a drubbing, and we avoided that on Tuesday night.

Every game we play now, I look at our 18 man squad, and count how many will be around for the first game next August. Today I reckon there were seven, so that's 11 players to be replaced (plus others not in the squad today such as Benson and McOxo, who definitely won't be here).

That's good news, because we all know this squad is dire. But there is a legitimate concern over our ability to attract players who are substantially better than those who we aren't going to be seeing again. Jenkinson is an unwelcome reminder that any club facing up to its third year in div three is not a particularly attrative option. I understand that player recruitment this summer is going to be a collegiate affair, with Vetere, Slater and TJ playing a major role alongside Powell, not only in identifying targets but in showing those players that CAFC is a club that is going places and selling them a vision of the Valley as a place with an exciting future.
  • I'm not hailing anyone six-a-bag.

Our recent results and some of the performances just haven't been good enough.

However, my point was that if people are so vitriolic in attacking anyone and everything when we lose, then surely a bit of credit is due when we dig out a decent enough performance and don't lose.

But it doesn't work like that in reality.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I'm not hailing anyone six-a-bag.

However, my point was that if people are so vitriolic in attacking anyone and everything when we lose, then surely a bit of credit is due when we dig out a decent enough performance and don't lose.

TBF the team and Chris Powell got nothing but applause at the end of the game despite another poor performance. I didn't hear any booing or anyone singled out for particular critism after the game.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]For the record november I will pass judgement on SCP
    Till then enjoy the circus ![/quote]

Spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I'm not hailing anyone six-a-bag.

But it doesn't work like that in reality.[/quote]

TBF the team and Chris Powell got nothing but applause at the end of the game despite another poor performance. I didn't hear any booing or anyone singled out for particular critism after the game.[/quote]

My reports from the game are the same rousing applause at the end.

Oakster I did get your point but there was no reference to Parkie in this thread prior to you raising it. Over the next 11 games CP will be judged on his own merits he now has Bessone, Ecclestone, Sullivan, BWP, Nouble, Parrett, with the exception of Sullivan and NE39 his choices. Few managers have the luxury of changing a complete squad when taking over so introducing five players who are better than those he inherited this becomes his squad, so lets judge him from last week till the end of the season, so his record is 0-2-1, lets hope by the end of the season its 11-2-1.

However if it is 2-2-10 do we let him take the reigns next season?
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]I'm not hailing anyone six-a-bag.

TBF the team and Chris Powell got nothing but applause at the end of the game despite another poor performance. I didn't hear any booing or anyone singled out for particular critism after the game.

My reports from the game are the same rousing applause at the end.

Oakster I did get your point but there was no reference to Parkie in this thread prior to you raising it. Over the next 11 games CP will be judged on his own merits he now has Bessone, Ecclestone, Sullivan, BWP, Nouble, Parrett, with the exception of Sullivan and NE39 his choices. Few managers have the luxury of changing a complete squad when taking over so introducing five players who are better than those he inherited this becomes his squad, so lets judge him from last week till the end of the season, so his record is 0-2-1, lets hope by the end of the season its 11-2-1.

However if it is 2-2-10 do we let him take the reigns next season?

Fair enough - let's hope the corner is being turned!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite][quote][cite]

Fair enough - let's hope the corner is being turned![/quote]

Agreed
  • edited March 2011
    It is two points that we would not have got 2 weeks ago- personally I think we would have folded after going behind in both games and it is good to see there is some spirit and determination left. Dagenham was a massive low but I think we needed it in some respects as Powell has changed the team around, restored a little bit of pride and have some players who look like they are playing for the shirt again. There are still big changes needed and some players who are not good enough but maybe after having a bit of bad luck, we have earned some in the last few days.

All we need now is a few wins to restore that bit more pride, end the season positively and give us more than a little hope for next season.

Have always been fully behind Powell, 14 games is not nearly enough time to form a proper judgement and with some of the players we have it is hard to lay too much blame at his door, personally don't think many managers could have done a lot better especially as although a common excuse- we have lost some key players injured. Gary Johnson is almost the opposite of Powell in terms of experience and was far from the most unpopular option for us has struggled at Northampton since he took charge whilst although not linked with us- Megson has also done F-all since being at Wednesday. Proof imho no manager guarantees success.

The summer is going to be vital but it won't be until November/December time when I think it will be fairer to properly assess Powell.

So yes Credit is due, not getting overly excited but it is two steps in the right direction. COYR!
  • given the run we've had, isn't this a slightly premature thread? Would be better coming after a win or two, hopefully soon.
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]from the match thread, might have got a point but a disappointing performance yet again, which is what I took from the commentary.Battling performance on tuesday but at no point did we look like winning.I can't wait for this poxy season to finish to see if our board are serious players.

Up to 12th now.

to be honest, mate, it was a very lively game and a hard fought point. scrappy, yes, but that's this league. the first touch of players in this league is still incomprehensible but that's where we are. the point was lucky in the end but we'll have that and come away with a bit of confidence in getting a result.

good day out too, hope the stopovers behave themselves and have fun.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Was just wondering if the people who were laying the blame wholly at Chris Powell's door for our run of defeats with vitriol and apparent relish will now be giving him any credit for two very decent points in the last two matches.

Or doesn't it work like that?

I think the problem is your posts are just as blinkered Off It in a positive, Powell can't be criticised, way. Managers,even Charlton legends, are judged on results and that is 0 wins from 10 games, a truly awful run.It just makes me laugh how the point of blame has been shifted,by some, to the players not the Manager. Sure it has been a decent couple of points but all managers from all clubs would be given stick for 0 wins in 10 games. Still believe Powell should be given time to turn it around.
  • At the start of the season we would have expected to get something from both of these games. Even under Parky at the half-way mark we would have expected to get something from these games. The fact is, under Powell and the current run, all that was expected was two defeats. Let's not start crowing about two points - we could easily have lost both of these matches from the way we played.
  • i am trusting the club knows what its doing i would rather we had a long term plan than panic buy our way out of trouble as long as we survive in div 1 this season which im sure we will then we can judge cp at xmas rome want built in a day we need to have faith in our board and manager its gonna be tough to watch for the rest of this season but keep the faith COYR
  • Who's saying that Powell can't be criticised dickplumb? Not me.

Personally I try not to go too overboard about a win, a draw or a defeat. But some people do.

I was just merely pointing out the double standards that some apply. "Blinkered"? Don't think so.