Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2 things I noticed at the Bournemouth game

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Firstly BWP.

He is obviously frustrated by our weak midfield, as he was dropping so far back to win the ball himself. This frustration appeared again when he decided to take a corner himself - rather than be in the box waiting for a chance. He started and finished the move for the second goal - again I sensed he was frustrated at the lack of quality in our team from set pieces. he delivered a perfect ball to the other wing and our equaliser was the outcome.

My point is he seems to have an issue with the fans. His goal celebration had a look of defiance about it, and he left the field almost straight away after the whistle - no time for the fans.

Secondly Eliott:

No question that he held on to a point for us singe-handed, with a decent save in the first half and at least 5 Premiership class stops late in the second half.
At times, his kicking, decision making, positioning and communication is poor, but he redeemed himself today.

My point here is, he couldn't get away from CP quick enough on the pitch at the end. I could sense CP wanted to give him a "well done" hug, but RE just wanted to get away.

These events suggest to me that there are tensions behind the scenes - maybe not just about our league form, but more to do with attitude and personality.

Comments

• Options
    Regarding your second point , I am not surprised.
    Rob seems an arrogant chap to me.
    Of course he earned us a point yesterday and fair play for that.
    But he fancies himself a bit too much!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Jarman[/cite]Regarding your second point , I am not surprised.
    Rob seems an arrogant chap to me.
    Of course he earned us a point yesterday and fair play for that.
    But he fancies himself a bit too much![/quote]

Arrogant.
    You reckon? Never thought that for a second. He seems quite down to earth on twitter (yes i know its only twitter).
  • Options
    I wonder if BWP will stay during the Summer. He came to us on the assumption that we would be challenging for promotion, with the expectation if playing in the Championship next season. He has the ability to play in the second tier, and knows it, and given that he won't be playing for ever he would not want another season at this level. Obviously I want him to stay, but I feel we will be lucky to hang on to him.

I've never noticed any arrogance in Robbie, I've always felt that he was Charlton through and through. He seemed chirpy in the interview on the FL show.
  • Options
    My brother told me that one of our fans shouted at BWP yesterday to give a bit more effort (I've cleaned that up), during a quiet period and BWP heard this and told him to fuck off. My brother's opinion was that BWP is feeding on scraps. Fans are expecting him to be contributing and scoring whereas in the past all we've been looking for is someone who can score.
  • Options
    Time and time again I read on here people saying, that BWP is lazy or ".....did nothing all game, except score".

Don't they ever question why BWP scores so regularly, especially given the lack of service from our midfield?

Do they think it's just coincidence or luck that BWP is invariably in the right place at the right time?

BWP was brought in to do a specific job, finish off chances ......and he's doing that job to perfection.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Time and time again I read on here people saying, that BWP is lazy or ".....did nothing all game, except score".

Don't they ever questionwhyBWP scores so regularly, especially given the lack of service from our midfield?

Do they think it's just coincidence or luck that BWP is invariably in the right place at the right time?

BWP was brought in to do a specific job, finish off chances ......and he's doing that job to perfection.

Have to agree with most of this. Jimmy Greaves suffered the same criticism. Fans want a 'twenty goal a season' striker, we have one, but now it's both goals and to run around like a blue-arsed. If BWP stops scoring, we can either drop him, or request the blue-arsed then!
  • Options
    I would be very surprised if Elliot is number one next season. Powell didn't have any choice but to acknowledge his contribution in his after match interview, but he certainly didn't go over the top in his praise. Maybe there is a problem there as Valiantphil comments above state that he couldn't get away from Powell quickly enough.
  • Options
    Someone shouted 'Show some fucking passion Wright-Phillips you useless prick', to which he told the bloke to fuck off and turned his back. Then 10 minutes later he scored and pointed at the bloke in the crowd
  • Options
    Some of our fans are right tits. I hope bwp realizes we have a minority of these so called fans and fair play to him for telling the muppet to eff off
  • Options
    He gets plenty of chants from the fans. It was one idiot sitting with Brian Cole who shouted at him as pointed out above.

When he scored, shortly after, they were all high fiving and laughing trying to claim the goal themselves.

Weirdos.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: EpsomAddick[/cite]I wonder if BWP will stay during the Summer. He came to us on the assumption that we would be challenging for promotion, with the expectation if playing in the Championship next season. He has the ability to play in the second tier, and knows it, and given that he won't be playing for ever he would not want another season at this level. Obviously I want him to stay, but I feel we will be lucky to hang on to him.

I've never noticed any arrogance in Robbie, I've always felt that he was Charlton through and through. He seemed chirpy in the interview on the FL show.

Regarding BWP, he's under contract so he's only going if the management and board let him.

I can't believe he's getting abuse - as has been said time and again, he's a 20 goal a season striker, something we've not had for many a long year. I don't care if he sits at the side of the pitch with a pint of lager while we're defending as long as he's in the right place at the right time when we're attacking.
  • Options
    if bwp told him to fuck off i think thats quality then to point at him after scoring i bet he feels a right pratt we dont need people like that abusing our player
  • Options
    He loved the attention (the fan that is).
  • Options
    Any striker would get frustrated playing in our current team. If fans start giving you stick on top of that (even though you have been regularly finding the net), then that is going to give you the hump. Understandable.

I'm sure he will be here next season - I am looking forward to seeing him hopefully playing with a more creative midfield - we shall see.
  • Options
    Judging from the first post BWP was spot on for telling him to fuck off. Lets face it if we didnt sign BWP in January we would be much worse off than we are now.
  • Options
    DAVE 21 you are spot on mate we need his goals
  • Options
    Can't believe BWP was getting stick from our fans , generally speaking the ones that run around like headless chickens and look like there really putting in lots of effort don't tend to score many goals, i think he has been a good signing , i think he has as many goals as Benson now?
  • Options
    Obviously some that are moaning at BWP don't remember Derek 'killer' Hales. One of the worst players I have ever seen outside of the box, but one of the best I've ever seen inside it. The way BWP plays reminds me a lot of Hales!
  • Options
    So far for Charlton, BWP has played 12 starts + 1 sub and scored 8 times.

In 6 of those games he scored in, (arguably) without his goal in each game .....Charlton would be 9 points worse off.
    Take away those 9 points, we would have a total of just 41 points ......and deep in relegation mire.

He may not charge all over the pitch chasing lost causes, but seriously ........ Does anyone really doubt BWP's contribution to the team?
  • Options
    If you watch the highlights of the BWP goal and see Scotty Wagstaff recognising someone in the crowd and smiling, it was me. Not sure why I'm happy about that, cracking lad though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Time and time again I read on here people saying, that BWP is lazy or ".....did nothing all game, except score".

Don't they ever questionwhyBWP scores so regularly, especially given the lack of service from our midfield?

Top post.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He gets plenty of chants from the fans. It was one idiot sitting with Brian Cole who shouted at him as pointed out above.

When he scored, shortly after, they were all high fiving and laughing trying to claim the goal themselves.

Weirdos.

Your surprised that Charlton have weird fans :)

Thats weird in itself
  • Options
    We are on poor form and everyone has a right to critise but we have alot of annoying "No-it alls" in our crowd. I sit in the east stand theres a fair bit of moaning every game as you would expect because we have been under performing. I get frustrated with the team too, but I sat in the middle of the west for the soton game and enjoyed it alot more because it was quiet so there was less moaning everytime we made a mistake. In the end we played well and got a good point.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]He gets plenty of chants from the fans. It was one idiot sitting with Brian Cole who shouted at him as pointed out above.

Weirdos.

We were actually taking the proverbial out of the fan in question because BWP had put him firmly in his place by telling him to go forth and then by slaming in the equaliser. The high 5's were said fan aknowledging that fact. If that is claiming the goal for ourselves then fine.
    Weirdo - Someone unpleasantly strange or eccentric. Thanks for that
  • Options
    Good, I'm glad you had fun.

Although it doesn't excuse the fan in question for making a ludicrous comment about one of our best players. What's the point? And I wasnt picking you out Brian, it was just a point of reference as to where the comment came from.
  • Options
    i would suggest those who heckled BWP probably littered earlier in the day on bournemouth beach....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i would suggest those who heckled BWP probably littered earlier in the day on bournemouth beach....
    I make you right, they're just not adult enough to know any better ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you watch the highlights of the BWP goal and see Scotty Wagstaff recognising someone in the crowd and smiling, it was me. Not sure why I'm happy about that, cracking lad though.

I was behind you and he was smiling at me really.
  • Options
    There's no pleasing some people. BWP is exactly the sort of player we need to poach goals. Like previous posters have said, I don't give a toss if he's scratching his arse for 88 mins if he pops up in the other 2 with a couple of goals. Frankly, I'm looking forward to next season if the promised spending spree works out. Hope CP is up to the task. If not, I don't think the board will hang around for more than a few games. I do hope it works out for Chris though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razorray0[/cite]if bwp told him to fuck off i think thats quality then to point at him after scoring i bet he feels a right pratt we dont need people like that abusing our player

BWP hasn't done anything wrong at all so they shouldn't be abusing him. He's clearly a quality player for league one just need 10 others