Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2 things I noticed at the Bournemouth game

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you watch the highlights of the BWP goal and see Scotty Wagstaff recognising someone in the crowd and smiling, it was me. Not sure why I'm happy about that, cracking lad though.
    "Twitter friend"
  • Options
    Can only echo what everyone above has put.
    If we'd had a poacher like BWP last season we would have walked automatic promotion.
    His job is to score goals and that's what he does.
    Unfortunately we have always had a sizeable minority of morons who judge a player's contribution to the side on how good an impersonation of the afforementioned headless chicken they can do on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    To put a positive spin on this issue, couldnt it be argued that the un named fan actually motivated BWP by instilling in him the drive required to prove him wrong?

To prove if this was the case, perhaps it should be repeated to see if the same result occurs.

Or maybe not?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]If you watch the highlights of the BWP goal and see Scotty Wagstaff recognising someone in the crowd and smiling, it was me. Not sure why I'm happy about that, cracking lad though.
    "Twitter friend"

Now have the imagine of all of the lads from the Inbetweeners shouting "football friend"
  • Options
    I also noticed Batman and think he would add a bit of pace to our plodding midfield
  • Options
    We're the joint top scorers in the league away from home. FACT.
    x
  • Options

I noticed that. Why did he recognise you then WSS, and why did he start laughing?!
  • Options
    I find Charlton fans very strange and hard to please.

We had David Mooney - failed to finish and score like fun - gets stick.

BWP - Scoring almost every game and still getting abuse from fans!

What have the players got to do to please you? I don't care if BWP stays quiet as long as the ball is on his feet and finishes well.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2011
    I think I was just doing some funny little pointing thing to be honest. Just met him a couple of times at the Upbeats Dinner when he was on mine and Curb_it's table and then at the training ground a couple of weeks ago. Always seems to have time for a chat and is a genuinely nice bloke.

To be honest it may not have been me but he pointed directly in my face after I pointed straight at his! And I'll continue telling myself that until I know different. ;-)
  • Options
    got to say his dad comes across likeable these days,never forgot his mates .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What I actually shouted was "look like you're interested" in response to his negative body language. No high fives when he scored, just acknowledging the irony of him getting a good goal based on putting some effort in.

I just feel that if he worked a little harder for the team he might be scoring winners rather than equalisers.
    That doesn't mean running around like a headless chicken. Just show a willingness to be available for the ball and moving when it's not a perfect pass.

Glynne
  • Options
    Spot on Glynne, I mean Thagda 202 - {does this mean there are 301 other Thagda's registered on CL?}
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thagda202[/cite]What I actually shouted was "look like you're interested" in response to his negative body language. No high fives when he scored, just acknowledging the irony of him getting a good goal based on putting some effort in.

I just feel that if he worked a little harder for the team he might be scoring winners rather than equalisers.
    That doesn't mean running around like a headless chicken. Just show a willingness to be available for the ball and moving when it's not a perfect pass.

Glynne

And your expert coaching credentials are from where exactly ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]And your expert coaching credentials are from where exactly ?

Since when have coaching credentials stopped football fans holding an opinion?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thagda202[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]And your expert coaching credentials are from where exactly ?

Of course you are right but I had assumed that your criticism of the divisions top scorer and his attitude to his job was based upon something other than the musings of a football fan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]

Of course you are right but I had assumed that your criticism of the divisions top scorer and his attitude to his job was based upon something other than the musings of a football fan.
    this. BWP had every right to tell you to F*** off
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thagda202[/cite]What I actually shouted was "look like you're interested" in response to his negative body language. No high fives when he scored, just acknowledging the irony of him getting a good goal based on putting some effort in.

Glynne

Glynne,

I've heard a few people mention 'negative' body language with regard to BWP. I actually think it's frustration. 'Negative' suggests he isn't putting in a shift which, imo, is afr from the case. He is working hard all over the pitch, dropping deep to get the ball, always making himself available at throw-in's etc. I think to suggest he isn't putting the effort in is so wrong. To suggest he isn't making himself available for the ball is also wrong. He wants the ball, he wants it badly, he wants to score goals. That he isn't getting the ball is frustrating him. He started the move for the second and through perseverance scored. Not the traits of a player 'not interested' or 'not available for the ball'.

Neal

(BTW, hope you ok, regards to the family)
  • Options

2nd top scorer. Mackail- Smith is top scorer :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]

2nd top scorer. Mackail- Smith is top scorer :-)

Mea culpa
  • Options
    BWP scored 13 goals in 19 Argyle appearances.
    So far 8 in 13 for Charlton.

21 goals in 32 appearances.

Mackail-Smith has scored 27 goals in 44 appearances so far for Peterboro.

I can't find my calculator, so somebody else can work the percentages of goals per appearance ratio.
    But I'd hazard a guess and say BWP has the higher percentage of goals per game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BWP 1 in 1.52
    Mackail-Smith 1 in 1.62

Good work Oggy ;o)
  • Options
    Cheers, Ross.

So the stats don't lie, BWP has scored more goals per game than Mackail-Smith.

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Cheers, Ross.

So the stats don't lie, BWP has scored more goals per game than Mackail-Smith.

;o)

Never fear, we'll soon change that!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    Glynne,

I've heard a few people mention 'negative' body language with regard to BWP. I actually think it's frustration. 'Negative' suggests he isn't putting in a shift which, imo, is afr from the case. He is working hard all over the pitch, dropping deep to get the ball, always making himself available at throw-in's etc. I think to suggest he isn't putting the effort in is so wrong. To suggest he isn't making himself available for the ball is also wrong. He wants the ball, he wants it badly, he wants to score goals. That he isn't getting the ball is frustrating him. He started the move for the second and through perseverance scored. Not the traits of a player 'not interested' or 'not available for the ball'.

Neal

(BTW, hope you ok, regards to the family)

Hi Neal,

As ever, you do have a point. I think my issue is more down to the way his shoulders slump when there's a misplaced pass or such like and it takes a couple of minutes to get going again.

He does show plenty of ability when he wants to, he just needs to show it for more of the game, like he did for the second goal on Saturday.

Apart from that, all's well. Regards to you and yours.

Glynne
  • Options

Glynne

To confirm, I was in the row behind you, just to your right and heard you short out 'Come on Wright Phillips, at least look interested'. No swearing as I recall. BWP then turned and mouthed something in your direction which I couldn't catch. When he scored he did indeed run in your direction and I saw that you were laughing and joking that your gee up had made him score. No high fives seen at all.
  • Options
    Robbie is not arrogant - where do people get this nonsence from? He is extremely nice and always has time to chat with fans. He spoke to my son after the Bournemouth game - remembered him from half time meet the players and talked to my son (who plays in goal) about what he is doing. In reality, one of the nicest blokes you could wish to meet. So where did you pick up on this arrogance from?

To be fair, losts of positive songs about BWP at the game. He can be a bit frustrating at times but he does what he is there for. Don't think there is any tension between Chrissy and the players apart from the fact that some of their futures at the club are in his hands. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though.
  • Options
    Wish we'd had BWP from the start of the season , instead of buying Benson , we'd have had more points , but pretakeover , prob not in a position to afford him.