Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powell: We can deal with League One again

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/8936175.Powell__We_can_deal_with_League_One_again/

Comments

• Options
    I can't deal with it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I can't deal with it!

What he said..

I hope Sheff Utd and Palace come down, at least they'll bring a fair size away support with them which always adds to the atmosphere.
  • Options
    I want bad teams to come down, not teams that will improve the atmosphere!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]I want bad teams to come down, not teams that will improve the atmosphere!

We play crap against bad teams.
  • Options
    We've been looking at whose gone up and whose coming up the past few years and it hasn't helped us.

Bournemouth are looking good for a play off spot after coming up.

3 teams who came down this year Sheff Wed/Plymouth have struggled although Peterborough are doing well. And we thought this year would be easier!

We just need to create a strong team for next season, if so then the rest will take care of itself. Next season I want teams to be fearing coming to The Valley thinking they have no chance against us
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Next season I want teams to be fearing coming to The Valley thinking they have no chance against us

It's our own team who fear coming to The Valley, thinking they have no chance!
  • Options
    The valley has got be sorted out , our home form this season is woeful.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]I want bad teams to come down, not teams that will improve the atmosphere!

Don't you mean

We play crap against bad teams

;)

In all seriousness though I think our poor record against the 'lesser' sides has been overstated. People always seem to mention us doing badly against sides down the bottom last year, when in fact we didn't lose to anyone who finished below 17th.
  • Options
    We can deal with league 1 again ..... What the hell .. We will deal with league 1 !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Don't you mean

We play crap against bad teams

Much more accurate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    We don't have a lot of choice but to deal with it. Having said that though - if you want to be phlisophical, you could say that we are not ready to go up this year and with some stability, we can plan to build a team that goes up next season and is competetive at the higher level. That doesn't mean the remaining games are unimportant though - Nobody who changes the whole side can expect success - there has to be some continuity. These games should help Chrissy decide who is up to the task and who needs to be replaced. Now that certainly is important.
  • Options
    'Powell: We can deal with League One again'

doesn't look like we have a choice !!
  • Options
    Whats all this "again" we aint dealt with it yet so cant be dealing with it "AGAIN". Not sure at this stage of the season you should be admitting defeat like that, there's a long way to go and to assume now that we will still be in this league next year isn't good for anyone. Mind you it saves having to gee the players up if everyone has already given up. They should make all matches £5 now and give season ticket holders a reabate because the season ended so early.
  • Options
    Looking at the teams that look to be coming down, again like this season you're not going to have to be amazing to get promotion.

Other than Brighton, all the teams up there have got their faults and can be beaten. Makes it even more frustrating that we are useless.
  • Options
    could be League 2..

:)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Looking at the teams that look to be coming down, again like this season you're not going to have to be amazing to get promotion.

Other than Brighton, all the teams up there have got their faults and can be beaten. Makes it even more frustrating that we are useless.

was talking about this on Saturday

you look at Leeds and Norwich in the top six in the Championship and, hate to say it, but Millwall comfortably mid-table with an outside chance of play-offs and you realise that League One was a decent league last year

this year it's much poorer IMO - Brighton the only decent side and think they would have finished 5th last season behind Leeds, Norwich, us and them down the road
  • Options
    One thing that worries me about CP's remarks is when he said that having equalised he thought about going for the win but wanted the point. At that stage we had the impetus but by not going for it we invited Bournemouth to do so, and what followed could so easily have lost us the game. For me we seem to slip too often into a ' backs to the wall ' siege mentality, when as the highest away scorers we have enough up front to stop home sides taking too many chances. If we are preparing for a push towards promotion next season, and with all our coaching expertise, we need to find more positive ideas and actions.
  • Options
    But this year you do have a very good Brighton side - head and shoulders above the rest and well resourced teams like Huddersfiled, Southampton and Sheffield Wednesday and we are obviously one of those bigger clubs who should be up there (as Wednesday should be). When you look at who is going down in the league and up from league 2, I think there isn't too much to worry about and then if say Huddersfiled and Southampton joined Brighton and you look who could potentialy come down from the Championship, the division would be as weak as it has been for some time. Surely the timing is good, if rather than be a month from the season and having no money and no players (like last summer), we have the squad ready with targeted players due to the newfound stability and investment. You have to think that short of the sort of cock ups that Charlton are always capable of, that we could have a much more enjoyable time of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]One thing that worries me about CP's remarks is when he said that having equalised he thought about going for the win but wanted the point. At that stage we had the impetus but by not going for it we invited Bournemouth to do so, and what followed could so easily have lost us the game. For me we seem to slip too often into a ' backs to the wall ' siege mentality, when as the highest away scorers we have enough up front to stop home sides taking too many chances. If we are preparing for a push towards promotion next season, and with all our coaching expertise, we need to find more positive ideas and actions.

I think Powell's attitude was probably shaped by our recent appalling record and he wanted to ensure something rather than nothing from the match as confidence amongst players and fans is exceedingly fragile.

What would Curbs have done?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Whats all this "again" we aint dealt with it yet so cant be dealing with it "AGAIN". Not sure at this stage of the season you should be admitting defeat like that, there's a long way to go and to assume now that we will still be in this league next year isn't good for anyone. Mind you it saves having to gee the players up if everyone has already given up. They should make all matches £5 now and give season ticket holders a reabate because the season ended so early.

You could say that the £50 reduction for next season should cover it, although I agree that there is no excuse for 'giving up' when you have customers that have already paid to be 'entertained'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Opponents seem to 'snap at our heels' more than we snap at theirs. Is it because the defence plays too deep or it's the defensive mindset? I'm not sure but I'd want to undersatnd why that is (we are supposed to be fit enough) because evey time one of our midfileders or strikers got the ball their were a couple of Bournemouth players tight on them snapping away but we seemed to stand off much more.

I'd also like to see more movement, our players get the ball and are isolated- they need options and we certainly need to see more movement throughout the side giving simple passing options.
  • Options
    Sorry, I have not been able to 'deal with league one' from the start CP!.

I hate this division and the football with it!.

Frankly, I would still hate it if we had not dropped a point!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Whats all this "again" we aint dealt with it yet so cant be dealing with it "AGAIN". Not sure at this stage of the season you should be admitting defeat like that, there's a long way to go and to assume now that we will still be in this league next year isn't good for anyone. Mind you it saves having to gee the players up if everyone has already given up. They should make all matches £5 now and give season ticket holders a reabate because the season ended so early.
    Spoken like a true Charlton fan!
  • Options
    We can deal with league 1 again as long as we win most of the games and go up! want palace to come down but not sheff utd. It would be a tense season and even more horrible if palace went up the 1st time of asking and we stayed down.
  • Options
    I quite enjoy league one.....
  • Options
    Well said beddsy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I quite enjoy league one.....

Did for a while, has worn off this season though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bedsaddick[/cite]I quite enjoy league one.....

Please explain, quite what is there to 'enjoy' at this level.......
  • Options
    If you enjoy the Valley being half empty and you didn't enjoy seeing it almost full last month vs Exeter and didn't enjoy Spurs away remembering what it used to be like then so be it. I find it depressing
  • Options

I am in total agreement with Uncle. I also didn't like Powell's comment, "didnt know whether to go for 1 point or 3". To have any chance of a play off place we need to win the majority of matches. Also if we had won we would now be pretty safe from relegation so a no brainer for me.