Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CP the Million Pound Question

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Parkinson was sacked due to the perceived negative atmosphere amongst supportors which was attributed to the results acheived and style of football we were playing under him.
    Slater has implied this time and time again. He, Jiminez and Wise had watched several games in the takeover period and were disturbed by the toxic atmosphere at The Valley, and that Parkinson had lost the crowd ....... the Swindon game underlined that point to such an extent, the new Board considered Parky's position untenable and sacked him.

That was the prime reason that Parky was terminated.
    [cite]Posted By: MrLargo[/cite]Powell was appointed and one of his principle remits was to get the side playing more attractive football.
    On July 1st when pre-season training commenced, Parky had only 6 contracted players.
    Then a few days later, he had Frazer Richardson sold from underneath him.

With barely the proverbial 'pot to piss in', Parky somehow cobbled together a side to compete in the League by the beginning of the season. If you compare the quality of some of the players he lost with many of the summer signings, then it was never going to be a team as good as last season. Richard Murray said the same at one of the supporters meetings.

But what Parky did achieve was to get that hastily put together team of other clubs' rejects, around the play off positions. But it was inconsistent and often not pretty.

The new board came in and evidently decided, when sacking Parky, to put a clean sweep in place.
    And as Mr Largo says, when Powell was appointed one of his principle remits was to get the side playing more attractive football.

Powell is working exactly to the Board's remit, regardless of results. With hindsight, always with hindsight, Powell perhaps should have allowed the more limited players in the team to play Parky's way for a bit longer but 4 successive wins didn't make this seem important at the time.

With Jackson becoming less effective playing on with his achilles injury before a long spell on the sidelines, and other key players missing in quick succession - things began to fall apart on the pitch. You can't blame Powell for injured key players being missing.

As the winless run continued, the confidence of players visibly wilted.

Against teams hoping to finish in the top 6, one thing we have seen in the last 3 matches, is a much more determined spirit amongst the players, and performances have improved as injured players return.

Let's see how the final matches pan out, before we judge whether CP should be entrusted with spending significant sums of money.
  • Options
    You "poach" a manager who has done well at another club. You offer him a deal that he can't refuse.....what we should have done with Howe.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    he said he needed to have a good think and how important it was to get an experienced man alongside him to help him through his managerial debut... he then appointed alex dyer!? that for me was not the right appointment a man in his position should have made, back then i remember saying that was not a good move.

in answer to the question and on current form and results there is no way id give him my hard earned to spend.

im just finding it almost impossible to come up with any answers at the moment because quite frankly this is the worst i have ever known it at charlton in nearly every department. its got so bad that ive nearly excepted in my head the thought of relegation from division 3... by no means does the above mean i'll ever give up on me team but there comes a point when you just cant defend our position anymore, we are shit and the sooner we get our heads out from up our own asses and start showing a bit of fight and acting like men and not a load of moany old titts pointing fingers and he said she said the better. behavoir like that is embarrassing and not going to get us anywhere in a hurry... so we either admit were shit stop crying when someone says something we dont like and look for someone to blame and buck our f***ing ideas up and start to show some pride and realise why we all fell in love with the game in the first place, 'the basics'... because it was fun, we enjoyed it, the camaraderie, bla bla bla... coz untill we do then things will not get better for a good few years to come.

football isnt hard but by f**k are we doing a good job of making it look that way!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]

I would rather watch Chris Powell's team lose 6-0 at Rochdale trying to play football than watch Parky's turgid hoofball that secures 1-0 wins over teams like Notts County and takes us absolutely nowhere as a football club..

That is nonsensical.

Winning games, no matter what style was used, is better than losing 6 - 0 and it does get the Club somewhere.

Powell was brought into win games and right now he's not delivering. Doesn't matter any longer what Parky did or didn't do or what style he played as he's not manager anymore. Move on.

Powell's failed this season with another managers players plus six of his own but the board will give him time and money to do better next season.

That is when he will be judged and I hope for his sake and ours that he gets it right.

And it's more like a £4m plus question.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: D_F_T[/cite]You "poach" a manager who has done well at another club. You offer him a deal that he can't refuse.....what we should have done with Howe.

That's exactly what we did do with Howe!
  • Options
    trying to play football but losing 6-0................try harder
  • Options
    I just want to add one thing. No way is Chris Powell going to be spending money. As I read the new owners, they are a bunch of shrewd and hardened business men who will keep very careful control of their money. Yes CP will have his say and his recommendations, but spending the money will not be part of his remit.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]I am as depressed as everyone else but I back Chris Powell 100% and shame on you lot for wanting to stab the guy in the back after 11 poor results.

I would rather watch Chris Powell's team lose 6-0 at Rochdale trying to play football than watch Parky's turgid hoofball that secures 1-0 wins over teams like Notts County and takes us absolutely nowhere as a football club.

I would rather watch a side that play ugly and win, than watch tippy tappy football from a team that can't pass the ball ten yards to each other.

The facts are we are 11 games without a win and 12 games without a clean sheet. Season ticket sales will suffer, as people will not pay good money to see loss after loss.
  • Options
    "stabbing Powell in the back" hoooooooooow the f**k is it "shabbing him in the back" ?????

lets be 100% clear i dont give a rats arse about CP compared to CAFC.We support CAFC not the manager and if (thats IF) he goes or stays it should be whats best for CAFC ----------------END OF.
  • Options
    I would give Powell what ever he wants cause he is my hero. He will turn this around and make you lot feel ashamed of yourselves, mark my words.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2011
    People save all your energy to sing your heads off on Saturday , if you can be bothered to turn up?

For goodness sake , i wanted to give this site a wide berth for a few days, but couldn't resist , if Powell wins a few he's hailed as the Messiah , if he goes on a dodgy run people say he's not up to it and should be shown the door , there's no middle ground , i thought there was a great atmosphere on Sat amongst the Charlton fans at Bournemouth , people were relaxed and out to enjoy themselves regardless of the footie result , i'm sure in turn this rubbed off on the players , sure give them a rocket where they need it , but make the prevailing atmosphere one that shows Charlton fans love the club , & want to get behind it instead of bitching all the time , i hate losing , i'm probably terrible to be around when we lose , but how are we ever going to return to our former glories unless we give somebody a chance, we need to create an atmosphere of fear at the valley for the opposition , lets make sure we are up for it on Saturday , and not give the players an excuse to fail , at least that way win or lose we'll have enjoyed it and probably got a result.
  • Options
    What Grumpy and Oggy said.

In terms of giving Powell money, outside of the transfer window I'd say he's shown considerable more shrewdness in the loan market than Parky ever did. To a man the players Powell's brought in have improved the squad and can play football. Says to me the man can spot a player, and will get the right ones even in a limited market. Couple it with his evident vision of how he wants to play, open the transfer market and I think we'll see a very different Charlton side next year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]What Grumpy and Oggy said.

In terms of giving Powell money, outside of the transfer window I'd say he's shown considerable more shrewdness in the loan market than Parky ever did. To a man the players Powell's brought in have improved the squad and can play football. Says to me the man can spot a player, and will get the right ones even in a limited market. Couple it with his evident vision of how he wants to play, open the transfer market and I think we'll see a very different Charlton side next year.
    Harsh on Parky, back in August it was said we couldn't afford any Liverpool players on loan. Takeover happens and suddenly we can.

Powell's loans are probably better than Parky's - but so they should be, they are no doubt more expensive.

Agree though you can see he's trying to get the right type of players in. Let's hope he gets the balance right in the summer - we'll need some solid and physical players to go with the good footballer types Parrett.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]make the prevailing atmosphere one that shows Charlton fans love the club , & want to get behind it instead of bitching all the time

But we are a bitching club, or at least many of the fans are.

o)
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]we need to create an atmosphere of fear at the valley for the opposition

Well, we've managed to create a Valley of fear for our own team.

Could we make it a Valley of fear for opponents?
    What a good idea!
  • Options
    I can't understand how we went from Eddie Howe 1st Choice to Chris Powell 2nd choice. Yes they are both "young" managers but that is where is similarities end. Surely there was solid criteria set from the board that needed to be met. All in all it was a bad choice most 'legend appointments' are. I do disagree with the “experienced manager” point to a certain extent though and I agree that we needed to bring someone in a with a long term strategy, just think Powell was not right man to do that given he has never managed a club before.

Regards,
  • Options
    Depends if you look at short or long term?

Agree Powell has failed to bring instant success.
    Is that why you think he is the wrong choice?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Depends if you look at short or long term?

This is the whole point. When you are in transition you lose matches, particularly when the previous coach had no interest in playing football only getting results and the squad inherited was cobbled together to do just that.

I can' t believe fans would take that flukey 1-0 win over Notts County based on absolute rubbish over a hard fought 1-1 draw against Soton where we actually strung a few decent passes together and made a fight of it.

Stop whinging about CP and offer him and the club some support. This re-build will not happen overnight. If you want instant success take a trip to Stamford Bridge. You can come back when we are winning again and then sing the guys name at the top of your voice.
  • Options
    Not really a case of short/long term success, more how the team is picked, prepared, formation,tactics, substitutions.
    Sorry but CP has got it all wrong no matter how much of a nice man & Charlton legend he is/was. We're just kicking our heels until the time comes that the board realise what a monumental mistake they've made. We all want CP to succeed but we're not all blinkered.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Athletico Charlton[/cite]I would give Powell what ever he wants cause he is my hero. He will turn this around and make you lot feel ashamed of yourselves, mark my words.

But surely he is your hero as a player, not a manager.
  • Options
    Enough visiting managers over the years have commented that Charlton fans are known within the game for turning on their own players if things don't go well for there to be something in it in my opinion.

I have to say from my own observations that if this is the way some people behave as supposed "supporters" towards their own I'd sure as hell hate to have them as opponents!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: rikofold[/cite]What Grumpy and Oggy said.

Bit unfair on Parkys loans

Reid was a good loan last season. Mooney and Sodje although had their haters did score some vital goals for us. Borrowdale (who he paid out of his own picket) was another good loan, Jackson looked good before he got injured. Forster was only with us for a couple of weeks but scored two winners.

If another manager had replaced Parky in January and had the same record in the past 11 games as CP he'd probably been sacked already, or at least very close to it.

CP has a bit more time to get things right and I'm 100% sure he's given it all he has, last night we were a bit unlucky by all accounts. Just seems we are just getting undone by defensive mishaps week after week. Which you would hope would be getting sorted out on the training pitch.
  • Options

Stop whinging about CP and offer him and the club some support.

I do support him and will continue to do so but the main whinging I can read is you going on about a manager who isn't here any more.

The new board decided that they wanted someone else. He's moved on, about time you did the same rather than mention him in every post.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]Not really a case of short/long term success, more how the team is picked, prepared, formation,tactics, substitutions.
    Sorry but CP has got it all wrong no matter how much of a nice man & Charlton legend he is/was. We're just kicking our heels until the time comes that the board realise what a monumental mistake they've made. We all want CP to succeed but we're not all blinkered.
    He hasn't got it all wrong though. Made mistakes yes, but that was always going to happen.

Very poor run fair enough, but in his defence he needed time to get to know the squad.

Despite the run and Powell's mistakes it's surely far too early to properly judge him as a manager. He's trying to get both good football and results out of a squad built to grind out results because that's all we could previously afford.

I don't agree he's another Bryan Gunn either - we comfortabely beat them 4-2 and first day of the next season they lost 7-1. We don't look like being thrashed under Powell, last night at least from the sounds of it we could have won, and we competed well with Southampton the other night.

I do wonder if he's perhaps just tried to change too much (when it comes to style of play) too quickly.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

I do wonder if he's perhaps just tried to change too much (when it comes to style of play) too quickly.

That's exactly what I said elsewhere. We were winning and he started to change the formation and players. The players seem to lose any certainty and other sides exploited that. Injuries didn't help either.
  • Options
    Not sure that a million pounds would make a real difference,!

Well it would in my bank balance ...... but significant investment means well over £4 million and then some.

And if it was my money no chance!

After the clearout!/firesale/restructure whatever you want to call it, Powell has to get it right!

Now that is a very difficult job for any manager, and I have my doubts that Chris has the specific qualities!

I think he will stay and that the board will back him , but the pressure will be immense!, it seems to be a difficult situation now, if this run continues, I fear there is only one result!

Trying to do your best, albeit with all sorts of preconditions and issues would I fear test any experienced manager, least a novice like Chris.

As others have stated who are these experienced managers!, ones that will come to Charlton?

Frankly, I have become what I hate! a 'fence sitter' , a club needs a vision and a direction, not vague aspirations!.
  • Options

This is the whole point. When you are in transition you lose matches, particularly when the previous coach had no interest in playing football only getting results and the squad inherited was cobbled together to do just that.

I can' t believe fans would take that flukey 1-0 win over Notts County based on absolute rubbish over a hard fought 1-1 draw against Soton where we actually strung a few decent passes together and made a fight of it.

Stop whinging about CP and offer him and the club some support. This re-build will not happen overnight. If you want instant success take a trip to Stamford Bridge. You can come back when we are winning again and then sing the guys name at the top of your voice.

I really can't believe your post Grumpy. That is the biggest load of tosh i have heard in a long time. I would take a win however it is achieved over a draw no matter how we play. The whole idea of playing football is to WIN .If we can do that with a bit of style, great, if we don't i really don't give a rat's arse as long as we win. Oh and by the way we are not playing any passing football under your hero Powell, i can see no difference in the way we play under Powell or Parky. Except we won more games under Parky.
  • Options
    It's largely an irrelevant question.

No matter what anyone thinks he will be here next season and he will be spending whatever money the board give him.

Do I think he'll get it right? Unfortunately no. Said on the day he was appointed that not everyone was happy about his appointment and that it will end in tears. Stand by that. Think he will be gone by December and we will be writing another season off.

Other than BWP I don't think any of his signings are good enough to get us out of this division next year.

Eccleston, Parrett, Bessone, Nouble to me are all average Joe's who are probably a bit better than what we already have. If that is the level of player we are going to be signing this summer then I think we can forget about promotion.

I genuinely think we are actually only 4 maybe 5 players short. Goalkeeper, mobile centre-back, left back, right winger and a target man.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]but we're not all blinkered.

It depends which way you think you are not blinkered.
    But you do come across as blinkered anyway.

Blinkered for ..... or blinkered against Powell?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Eccleston

Ecclestone wasn't Powell's signing.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Eccleston[/quote]

Ecclestone wasn't Powell's signing.[/quote]

Fair enough.

Still don't rate him.