Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Stuart

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Mark was in the pub at Rochdale, he spoke to us at length. He of course played for Dale for many years and decided to stay.
Very nice and modest bloke. He's a fireman now.

NB He said their players were typically on about £500/£600 per week & their top paid player was on £1100 per week.

Compare that to (allegedly) Youga £8000, Semedo & Racon £6000 and the rest on an average of £2000 per week.

As they earn the same, I wonder who would win if Rochadale played Racon ?

Comments

• Always thought he was underrated with us and overshadowed by Robert Lee.

He was really entertaining to watch when on song but could also make some bad mistakes. Overall though nearly 30 goals, mainly as a winger, in just over 100 games, many in the top tier, tells you he could play a bit.
  • Good Player was Amos.

An ex Millwall player told me that Millwall offered some serious money for him the season they got promoted and Charlton knocked it back. I think he went to Plymouth for£100,00 the season after.
  • He said he left us, due to a fall out with Mike Flanagan who was the coach. Said he was young and a bit headstrong. I have to say I barely remember "Flash" being our coach.
  • Always rose to it when we played millwall
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]He said he left us, due to a fall out with Mike Flanagan who was the coach. Said he was young and a bit headstrong. I have to say I barely remember "Flash" being our coach.

I heard that at the time and remember thinking what a shame it was because in many ways they were similar types of player and Mark could probably have learned a lot from "Flash."
  • Went to Plymouth for £125,000. Was sorry to see him go: will always remember his head popping up in the Selhurst mud to score from a re-bound against Watford.
  • Always remember him for treading on the ball and falling over at Selhurst.
  • Always remember him scoring the winner for Charlton at Old Trafford.

Yes, that's right, so I'll say it again ................Always remember him scoring the winner for Charlton at Old Trafford
  • Whenever I think of him, I always remember him running along the side of the pitch with the ball and tripping over an apple core that had been thrown on the pitch before kick off in the days of Sellout park.

As its already been said, he was a very under rated player for us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Always remember him scoring the winner for Charlton at Old Trafford.

Yes, that's right, so I'll say it again ................Always remember him scoring the winner for Charlton at Old Trafford

Yes I did mention that to him :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes Oggy, and on his inimitable match report Stuart Hall stated 'Today football has been shaken to its very foundations........little Charlton have come to Old Trafford and won'.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Always remember him scoring the winner for Charlton at Old Trafford.

I was there...celebrating like mad whilst surrounded by Manchester Utd fans - fortunately I was only 10 or so at the time but my Dad was deperately trying to tell me to sit down!
  • edited March 2011
    A frustrated Lennie Lawrence once said of him, "Mark Stuart is good enough to play for Barcelona.
    Or Bromley.

It's up to him".
  • He could certainly finish - a lot better than Lee at the time - and took that winner at Utd without batting an eyelid. The time from then until the final whistle seemed like an eternity - could it really happen? (esp after losing 0-4 at Forest midweek). It did, and remains a curiously under-celebrated feat.

He was a little headstrong by all accounts, like many a young player, and seemed to attract plenty of stick from more experienced team-mates. I once told him over a lager to ignore them and just do what he was good at - scoring. Clearly spurred on by my rousing advice he disappeared to Plymouth soon afterwards. Strange though - for all the patience shown with Leaburn during his 3 goals in 90 period, I always felt Stuart was something of a scapegoat.
  • If you get the chance to go to Rochdale next season that pub is a must do.Mark Stuart is a real diamond and a down to earth person.Trys to follow Rochdale at home most games but always looks out for the results of Charlton.As said above told us the reasons for his Charlton departure but also stated he wished he could have stayed with Charlton for afew more seasons.He will try to arrange time off work for the easter fixture with Charlton but uncertain if this can be done.
    Will be getting married in the summer to a true Rochdale lass .Once again thanks for having the time to speak to the Charlton fans in the pub MARK STUART DIAMOND and a credit to an explayer.
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Once again thanks for having the time to speak to the Charlton fans in the pub MARK STUART DIAMOND and a credit to an explayer.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Oh sorry, somebody did that one yesterday.
  • BTW he's a right muscle man now, not the slight lad he was at Charlton.
  • Has he still got his frizzy hair?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Has he still got his frizzy hair?

He has no hair at all !
  • The Rochdale news just gets better. Called off twice when I was going, once on the way up. Then one of my favourite ever players goes for a beer with my mates when I can't go. Guess there was free beer in the pub also CE?
  • Sponsored links:

I was there, it was Ron Atkinsons last match as Man U manager.

Flannagan said of Stuart that he was the only player that did not develop while he (flash) was there. Flash got sacked after criticizing Lennie on the then equivalent of Charlton Live on the wireless!

Stuart admitted at the end of his career that he spent too much time partying when he was younger. he had bags more skill than Rob Lee but Lee had the work ethic and commitment to his career.
  • [cite]Posted By: EastTerrace[/cite]The Rochdale news just gets better. Called off twice when I was going, once on the way up. Then one of my favourite ever players goes for a beer with my mates when I can't go. Guess there was free beer in the pub also CE?

No, but we went to 42nd Street after, where bottles of lager were still a £1 !

Only true fans went to Rochdale FACT ! :-)
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Has he still got his frizzy hair?

He has no hair at all !

NOoooo! I'm feeling old enough already at the moment without being told that as well. Next you'll be telling me Killers got a grey beard.
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]BTW he's a right muscle man now, not the slight lad he was at Charlton.

I noticed he'd beefed up a bit too and he's got the same haircut has me.
  • Kap10, not that it matters, but I don't think the 1-0 win was Atkinson's last match as United boss - that game was in August and Atkinson was sacked in November.

Must have been amazing though - I don't suppose anyone has footage of it?
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: EpsomAddick[/cite]Kap10, not that it matters, but I don't think the 1-0 win was Atkinson's last match as United boss - that game was in August and Atkinson was sacked in November.

Must have been amazing though - I don't suppose anyone has footage of it?

Maybe I was in a delirious haze for all that time, or there was a mid autumn freeze!!!!!!

Atkinsons last game was a 4-1 defeat by Southampton, that buggers one of my anecdotes, thanks Epsom !!!!!!!

Yes was there great day it was worth saying it again
  • Always liked Mark Stuart, game that stands out for me (for obvious reasons) 3-0 down at sellout to millwall.....Stuart takes game by scruff of the neck scores two goals & provided the cross for Jim Melrose to eventually head in after their keeper had pushed his first header out with just a few minutes remaining.
    Nice touch to hear he was in the pub chatting with Charlton fans
  • i was there that day - proper away terrace, surging, singing and newly promoted euphoria. Always viewed Stewart as a bit of an oddball - looked a bit camp and weird but definitely had some ability - sounds quite a normal sort of bloke after all but saying he could have been better than Rob Lee if he hadn't partied so much?? wonder how good the likes of Best, Gasgcoine and Merson could have been - think they liked a bit of a party.
  • Great thread, great stories, new and old.

Bit harsh on Robert Lee though to say that Amos had bags more skill.