Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mark Stuart

2»

Comments

• Options
    So he's twice the size and bald - how the freek did you recognise him ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]So he's twice the size and bald - how the freek did you recognise him ?

Mark Stuart remembered the Covered End, right?
  • Options
    If I remember rightly Mark Stuart's time at Charlton was brought to a premature end by the arrival of that unpolished diamond Paul "The Magic Man" Mortimer.

Once Morts arrived then Stuart was on his way out.
  • Options
    Did help that an up to date photo was in the Rochdale programme also he signed a photo i had of him getting the 2nd goal at Carlise when we came from 2-0 down to win 3-2 and that long awaited return to THE TOP DIVSION was all but made back in 1986.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If I remember rightly Mark Stuart's time at Charlton was brought to a premature end by the arrival of that unpolished diamond Paul "The Magic Man" Mortimer.

Once Morts arrived then Stuart was on his way out.[/quote]

Yes. Although I certainly remember Mortimers form taking a distinct dip once Stuart had been moved on. Would've been interesting had they both stayed and pushed each other along.
  • Options
    Morts ...... what a talent, and picked up from non-league, and working in a bookshop. Didn't he wear glasses off the field?(Robert Lee wore contact lenses). Seem to remember he made his debut at left back.

Straying way off topic, but while googling found this interesting Mortimer quote:

"But Mortimer, who played over 200 times for Charlton, has pleaded with the supporters to get behind the beleagered players for Saturday's clash with Sheffield United at The Valley.

The 40-year-old said: "By giving them stick and booing, what are you looking to achieve, that's what I ask?

"All players are affected by criticism and low-confidence and if you keep booing they are not going to improve."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]If I remember rightly Mark Stuart's time at Charlton was brought to a premature end by the arrival of that unpolished diamond Paul "The Magic Man" Mortimer.

Once Morts arrived then Stuart was on his way out.

Yes. Although I certainly remember Mortimers form taking a distinct dip once Stuart had been moved on. Would've been interesting had they both stayed and pushed each other along.

I think Morts arrival really put Stuart's nose out of joint and he decided to go to Plymouth when they came in for him.

I thought Stuart was a very good player for us, scored goals and was able to beat his man on the outside.

I guess that Colin Walsh's ability to also play in that wide-left role also marginalised Stuart too.

Jesus, we would kill for players like Walsh, Morts and Stuart these days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Jesus, we would kill for players like Walsh, Morts and Stuart these days.

Or Peter Shirtliffe, Johnny Humphreys and Mark Reid. And Bob Boulder.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Morts ...... what a talent, and picked up from non-league, and working in a bookshop. Didn't he wear glasses off the field?(Robert Lee wore contact lenses). Seem to remember he made his debut at left back.

Straying way off topic, but while googling found this interesting Mortimer quote:

"But Mortimer, who played over 200 times for Charlton, has pleaded with the supporters to get behind the beleagered players for Saturday's clash with Sheffield United at The Valley.

The 40-year-old said: "By giving them stick and booing, what are you looking to achieve, that's what I ask?

"All players are affected by criticism and low-confidence and if you keep booing they are not going to improve."

I saw Morts in pre-season in 1988 - when he was basically playing to win a contract - in a pre-season friendly against Greenwich Borough and he played left-back then and looked a real class prospect.

Of course, with Mark Reid already there Lennie put Morts into left midfield and he was fantastic, I can still remember that mazy dribble at Carrow Road in the 3-1 win when they were top of the league.

That was a mini golden-period with our more or less home-grown front four of Bennett - Leaburn - Williams - Mortimer really playing some great stuff.
  • Options
    That was a mini golden-period with our more or less home-grown front four of Bennett - Leaburn - Williams - Mortimer really playing some great stuff.

I know you say more or less home grown but didn't Mickie Bennett come from millwall youth team, Paul Williams from Brentwood 1st team almost straight into ours & Paul Mortimer a non contract player at Fulham ................so only leaburn was actually home grown. Not that it matters would love to see a young Paul Williams & Paul Mortimer in the team now. What a couple of exciting players they were!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]That was a mini golden-period with our more or less home-grown front four of Bennett - Leaburn - Williams - Mortimer really playing some great stuff.

I know you say more or less home grown but didn't Mickie Bennett come from millwall youth team, Paul Williams from Brentwood 1st team almost straight into ours & Paul Mortimer a non contract player at Fulham ................so only leaburn was actually home grown. Not that it matters would love to see a young Paul Williams & Paul Mortimer in the team now. What a couple of exciting players they were!

Williams came from Woodford Town but he was in our reserves for a couple of years before he made his real breakthrough in 1988.

Bennett was our youth-team player, he played in the 1987 FA Youth Cup Final side. Leaburn was also 100% Charlton, he played in the same FAYCF team that lost to Coventry.

Morts was picked up after being out of the game, he was earlier released by Fulham.
  • Options
    I'll never forget Stuart's lay off for Shirtliffs equaliser in the playoff final.
    That one pass had such a huge bearing on our history.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    How many free kicks , for obstructionn, did amos (why was he called that?) win by pushing the ball past the full back and then almost running up the back of the turned defender as if he was a rabbit trying to mount !

Still can't believe we won up at old trafford that day , especially having witnessed forest dismantle us during the midweek, the goal was at the other end to the travelling few and there was a slight delay before the pandemonium of the loop as we realised he'd scored

And well remembered queensland about the play off lay back to shirts , it was very precise
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    On the subject of morts , dean parret did a trade mark morts slide tackle on tuesday at rochdale where he slid and cleanly hooked the ball from the attacker left him on the floor and went off with the ball at his feet, nicely done!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]On the subject of morts , dean parret did a trade mark morts slide tackle on tuesday at rochdale where he slid and cleanly hooked the ball from the attacker left him on the floor and went off with the ball at his feet, nicely done!

Flash used to be great at that tackle as well. Used to slide in from behind and hook his foot around the ball. Shame that kind of skill isn't allowed in the game these days.
    As for winning at old trafford, your'e dreaming, we never won there lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PL 54 said "So he's twice the size and bald - how the freek did you recognise him ?"

Good question. Another Charlton fan brought him over and said "do you know who this is ? " After about 10 seconds he said "he used to have a lot of curly hair" . I was just getting that embarassed feeling, thinking I obviously should recognise him, when I did. Mark seemed totally relaxed, I was inwardly panicing.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Mark Stuart´s goal away to Boro in our promotion season? (the day of the half time Bovril served by the police out of the back of their van in the ground ). Sped from the half way line and stuck it into the corner.

Couldn´t believe it when I first saw his name in the reserve or youth team write up in the programme. He was the hottest property going in West London (where I went to school) and totally dominated schools football. I´d heard all about him and wondered what all the fuss was about....then I saw him against our 1st Team (we were Northolt High and he played for Reynolds High). He scored three...one of which came from inside the centre circle!! He´d been at Brentford and QPR and I just couldn´t work out why Rangers let him go. Definitely our gain.
  • Options
    @Kap 10

"Stuart admitted at the end of his career that he spent too much time partying when he was younger. he had bags more skill than Rob Lee but Lee had the work ethic and commitment to his career."

Perhaps he could be asked to have a word with some of our underperformers!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]amos (why was he called that?)

Aparently he had large sideburns in his early days at Charlton and someone gave him the 'Amos' nickname after Amos Brearley in Emmerdale Farm (as it was in those days)
  • Options
    cheers alex
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Junior Reds Christmas Party at the Valley Club in 1986, one of my school mates asked Amos if his hair was natural, or did he get from a bottle? The other players were in bits, with Amos not looking impressed.

Good player on his day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]amos (why was he called that?)

Aparently he had large sideburns in his early days at Charlton and someone gave him the 'Amos' nickname after Amos Brearley in Emmerdale Farm (as it was in those days)

Well, I never knew that!