Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Things you think about

edited April 2011 in Not Sports Related
What are your ideas / inventions etc that you would probably never actually get round to doing/making/implementing
Can be serious ideas or real off the wall wacky type things.

I always though the Bishopsgate area in the City could do with a decent chip shop.
Surely a chip shop would rake in the money in that area - it would of course be called The City Chippy.

Compulsory euthanasia at 80.
No messing about eeking out your pension/savings - you know exactly how much and how long you have got to spend it.
No sitting there being spoon fed whilst dribbling incoherently.
Frees up hospital beds and council housing and services etc.
And what major inventions/breakthroughs have come from someone aged over 80?
This may be a tough one to sell to the general public though.....

The Silent Majority Party.
Set up a political party that is based on the feelings of the general public.
Prisons should be a punishment.
Life should mean life.
Immigrants should have jobs to come into/be sponsored by someone already here.
Uk law should supercede EU law
Central DNA database - only criminals need fear it.
etc etc

Obviously these ideas are not totally tthought through but are general ramblings.

Comments

• I've many a time thought a well positioned chippy would do well in the city !
  • Nautilus International has backed a call from MAIB to ensure that all seafarers receive full training in the operation of computerised bridge systems, including ECDIS.
    A recent MAIB inquiry into the grounding of a container ship found that the officer of the watch, who was heavily reliant on an ECDIS system, had received no training in it’s operation.

The problem with the silent majority is that they rarely vote and are, therefore, silent.
    As for the party’s politics being based on what the general public feels, I'm afraid to ask but who you are to know what the general public thinks? Surely in essence these are just things You think (and there are parties that cover a lot of your demands)....

Sorry to pee on your bonfire.

But to the matter in hand. My invention:

A hanger peg. This is a hanger which you can out shirts on which pegs straight onto the washing line and will hang in the wardrobe. Basically a normal hanger which some sort of peg built into the handle. Simple, but not in existence. The perfect Dragons Den idea, if I only had the ability to actually make one!
  • I was always told that some anciet by-law prevented a Fish and Chip shop within the City walls. Probably a bit of a myth. There are 2 I know of, Alexanders off Wilson St nr Finsbury Sq and Happy Days nr Petticote Lane.
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]A hanger peg. This is a hanger which you can out shirts on which pegs straight onto the washing line and will hang in the wardrobe. Basically a normal hanger which some sort of peg built into the handle. Simple, but not in existence. The perfect Dragons Den idea, if I only had the ability to actually make one!

What about the ironing bit?
  • edited April 2011
    A non-profit bank. Not sure how it would work but they wouldn't base their operations on ripping their customers off at every opportunity.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]A non-profit bank. Not sure how it would work but they wouldn't base their operations on ripping their customers off at every opportunity.

Co-Op Bank?
  • Government to buy an island a good 50 miles out and send all convicted paedophiles there until they die. These people serve no purpose to humanity.

Limited food & water could be air dropped in, taking care not to kill any of them.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]A non-profit bank. Not sure how it would work but they wouldn't base their operations on ripping their customers off at every opportunity.[/quote]

Credit unions work as you suggest but do not seem to be that widely known about.

http://www.abcul.org/credit-unions
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]A non-profit bank. Not sure how it would work but they wouldn't base their operations on ripping their customers off at every opportunity.

Co-Op Bank?

Still a commercial bank from where I can see.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]A non-profit bank. Not sure how it would work but they wouldn't base their operations on ripping their customers off at every opportunity.

Co-Op Bank?

Still a commercial bank from where I can see.

Indeed they are although better than some. (Not that that says much!)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]What are your ideas / inventions etc that you would probably never actually get round to doing/making/implementing
    Can be serious ideas or real off the wall wacky type things.

I always though the Bishopsgate area in the City could do with a decent chip shop.
    Surely a chip shop would rake in the money in that area - it would of course be called The City Chippy.

Compulsory euthanasia at 80.
    No messing about eeking out your pension/savings - you know exactly how much and how long you have got to spend it.

The Silent Majority Party.
    Set up a political party that is based on the feelings of the general public.
    Prisons should be a punishment.
    Life should mean life.
    Immigrants should have jobs to come into/be sponsored by someone already here.
    Uk law should supercede EU law
    Central DNA database - only criminals need fear it.
    etc etc

Obviously these ideas are not totally tthought through but are general ramblings.

Nelson Mandela achieved stuff after the age of 80 and there are plenty of pensioners of that age running or helping small local organisations or should we call it the "Big Society" as that EU stooge and spiv Cameron terms it?

I know this is a "what if" thread and no more than that but I have to say my blood ran cold when I saw the words "compulsory euthanasia" that is what my ancestors have fought (and died in some cases fighting) to avoid. A certain Austrian gentleman would have been interested in your ideas 70 odd years ago....
  • edited April 2011
    I would like to see an island for all the chavs and idiots to live in together, leaving the rest of us alone. It would include people such as Heat/FHM magazine readers, Big Brother/X-factor watchers, Sky 4 fans who have no connection with "their" club, ASBO holders, religious fundementalists and anyone over 12 who watches WWE...

And grumpy old twats like me...
  • A chip shop is a great idea! There aren't many in the West End either. I think I know of one near Euston. I think anyone that had a chip shop in the City would make a killing!
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I would like to see an island for all the chavs and idiots to live in together, leaving the rest of us alone. It would include people such as Heat/FHM magazine readers, Big Brother/X-factor watchers, Sky 4 fans who have no connection with "their" club, ASBO holders, religious fundementalists and anyone over 12 who watches WWE...

And grumpy old twats like me...

It already exists mate, its called the United Kingdom

Perhaps that's why I am here... LOL. Different type of twat here, but still twats...
  • I tried to open a chippy in The City in the late eighties. Group of us had the funding, the plans and everything but there was absolutely no chance of getting it past the fire regulations or planning.
  • The fire at Pudding Lane 20 years before you tried opening the chip shop probably put them off.
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I tried to open a chippy in The City in the late eighties. Group of us had the funding, the plans and everything but there was absolutely no chance of getting it past the fire regulations or planning.

Surely no more a fire risk than KFC, Ponti's, Maccy D etc ?
    Where was you gonna be based ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]The fire at Pudding Lane 20 years before you tried opening the chip shop probably put them off.

Hilarious.
  • [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]

Right by Sweetings fish restaurant, if you know it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I always said a good pie n mash in the City would go down a storm.

Problem is the one that opened near me (Mother Mash Leadenhall St) is rubbish.
  • Compulsory euthanasia at 80.

Do you actually believe that all elderly people are braindead, bumbling, dribbling buffoons when they reach 80. You might have your own thoughts about doing this to yourself when and if you turn 80, but to suggest compulsory euthanasia for all is outrageous. I run a sheltered housing complex for the elderly, come and spend a day with us, you may well want to change your mind when you meet some of my 80 plus residents. I have recently run computer courses to which many 80 years olds attended, most have never switched a computer on in their lives. Come and have a look at the certificates of achievement they recently recieved. You are very wrong in making this statement and I would be very happy to prove it to you!
  • [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MrOneLung[/cite]

Right by Sweetings fish restaurant, if you know it.

Yeah - used to work QVS.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I was always told that some anciet by-law prevented a Fish and Chip shop within the City walls. Probably a bit of a myth. There are 2 I know of, Alexanders off Wilson St nr Finsbury Sq and Happy Days nr Petticote Lane.

Ah Happy Days indeed, spent many a lunchtime in there when I worked at LCH.Clearnet, your classic 'fish on friday' lunches mostly. There's also the Cosy Fish Bar in Whitecross Street off Old Street near the Barbican, although it's changed a bit over the years. Both do a very decent trade. Mostly from me, and it shows :)
  • I think euthenasia should be an option for anyone who's supported Charlton for more than 30 years. Compulsory if it's Palarse.
  • Compulsory retirement for 40 to 60 year olds and a pension of £1000 a week
    When you get to 60 you have to go back to work

although my view has changed over the years
    20yrs ago it was 20 to 40 year olds
  • A wife trade in centre
    When they get too gobby or get on your nerves, you get a free exchange for one thats 20 years younger
  • MrOneLung, if your parents (or grandparents) are approaching 80, would you really look forward to have them euthanized?
    Being not that far myself, not sure I fancy the idea.
    Besides, the number of Charlton fans are thinning, now is not the time to lose another one (forever), just because of his date of birth.
    Focus on the City Chippy, mate.
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]A hanger peg. This is a hanger which you can out shirts on which pegs straight onto the washing line and will hang in the wardrobe. Basically a normal hanger which some sort of peg built into the handle. Simple, but not in existence. The perfect Dragons Den idea, if I only had the ability to actually make one!

What about the ironing bit?

If you use the right amount of fabric softener and hang clothes out to dry while they are still damp, you should find that no ironing is need. If is needed then at the very least you have avoided trying to iron out peg dents.
  • [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]MrOneLung, if your parents (or grandparents) are approaching 80, would you really look forward to have them euthanized?
    Being not that far myself, not sure I fancy the idea.
    Besides, the number of Charlton fans are thinning, now is not the time to lose another one (forever), just because of his date of birth.
    Focus on the City Chippy, mate.

It is very tongue in cheek - I will even have over 80's buy one get one free when they come to The City Chippy (if accompanied by both parents)