Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

much much better football under powell!!

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
i watched the longer highlights from southampton away game, the saints fan that comes on here was right we are playinggood passing football but the final ball sometimes isnt quite there!! and defence is dogey but im liking watching the football being played results will come well next season but still think we will hammer someone soon maybe huddersfield ;-)

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't say much has changed myself
  • Options
    Ha, only the last 2 or 3 games have we played anything like good football, the first 10 games under himwe played complete tosh. I have said this on here before, I would have taken the football we played under Parky and a playoff spot, now we are stuck here for another season with an unproven manager, an unknown team and the promise of good football, which by and large have failed to deliver. I can't see us stufing anyone soon
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite] now we are stuck here for another season

Can we not make the play offs now then?
  • Options
    We could if we win all our remaining games and people above us lose
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]now we are stuck here for another season

Can we not make the play offs now then?
    NO! Assume you're joking uncle?

To be honest I'd rather we got promoted with a good squad thats playing decent football and will give us a good chance of competing in the CCC rather than scraping through the play-offs and then having to completely re-build and start at a higher level with a completely unknown team. Gotta look at the big picture sometimes
  • Options
    I'd rather get promoted anyway we can
  • Options
    Wouldn't disagree that the football's better, but the results are worse.
  • Options
    I think we are trying to play better football and have been unlucky in some games.

Parky was lucky if you ask me, just look back at the Notts County, Sheff Wed games at home when we were totally outplayed but still won.

As CP said, their are very fine lines between winning & losing games and looking at the Rochdale awy match you can see this.

I liked Parky, but did not like his style of football this season and think that was one of the reasons for him going.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc999[/cite]I think we are trying to play better football and have been unlucky in some games.

Parky was lucky if you ask me, just look back at the Notts County, Sheff Wed games at home when we were totally outplayed but still won.

As CP said, their are very fine lines between winning & losing games and looking at the Rochdale awy match you can see this.

I liked Parky, but did not like his style of football this season and think that was one of the reasons for him going.

Oh we have not had a Parkie bashing debate for a few hours now, lets start a new one!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc999[/cite]I think we are trying to play better football and have been unlucky in some games.

Oh we have not had a Parkie bashing debate for a few hours now, lets start a new one!!

no, lets not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: drawnablank[/cite]I'd rather get promoted anyway we can

D'accord !

Lots of good footballing teams have struggled to get out of this division.
    Last season: Southampton and Huddersfied, and Charlton on a good day, for example.
  • Options
    Parky played a style that the players were up to - You can see improvements in our style under Powell but these are not constant e.g - the first half against Orient was the usual stuff - but the opening of the second- we pressed more than I can recall for a good time. The hope is that Powell can find a way to make what is happening in spells happen for most of the games. That will probably require some squad strengthening but clearly some of the current players with the right additions are up to the task. The summer is going to be crucial and for me we have to a) keep our better players b) and replace the players not up to scratch with better ones. I can see difficulties with both of these and how the club and Chrissy navigates through the issues will probably determine whether it is going to be a great season or more of the same.

There are so many things we don't know that it is difficult to call but if you are looking for positives, you can point to the fact that we are undergoing a transition and there are some positive to hang on to if you care to look for them. Powell has to stick to his guns and we need to see the team grow in confidence and show they can boss teams and get results. We can't get promotion but it doesn't mean th eremaing games aren't important for momentum and to show us that our aspirations might just be achievable.
  • Options
    .... I got you babe ..... I got you babe ..... I've got flowers, in the spring ........
  • Options
    Kap 10 - did not mean to start off a Parky bashing session - got a lot of time for the man myself -

The question was are we playing better football under CP and rather than just look at the results, I looked at performance aswell. Hence the reference to those matches (I could have added more if needed)

As for getting promoted any way we can - come on get real! With this current team we would get murdered next year and everyone would be still moaning, only louder than ever!
  • Options
    Yes we are playing much better football which is of a very different style than that played under the former person who might have been our coach, who we can't mention because we must "move on".

We are losing more games because this is a change and the players available to CP are not as good at playing this sort of football.

When we have new players things will probably be much better.

Some Addicks are so passionate about their club that this makes them impatient and they want good results at any cost immediately.

Other fans (equally committed) see this as a tricky transition period but think that playing proper football will be a better investment for the clubs prospects in the longer term and back CP for trying this .

We have lots of threads repeating this argument over and over again from a slightly different angle.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite].... I got you babe ..... I got you babe ..... I've got flowers, in the spring ........
    Groundhog Day?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite].... I got you babe ..... I got you babe ..... I've got flowers, in the spring ........
    Groundhog Day?
    Groundhog Day?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Groundhog Day?
    Groundhog Day?
    Groundhog Day.
    Was asking Off_It if that was a reference to the Bill Murray film, where he wakes up to that song playing on the radio every morning.
  • Options
    Sorry, Ali ..... I jumped the gun. Should have posted that tomorrow!
  • Options
    We played "better" in the home game v Saints as well. That is, in part, because teams like Soton let you play a more open game as they are a footballing side. They are also big, strong and not adverse to a long ball either.

What we have failed to do is play "better" football when the other team tries to stop us. Tranmere at home closed us down, Dagenham away they overloaded the midfield and gave us no room.

In the end "better" football is winning football. Man Utd play a much more direct, fast paced football than Arsenal. Arsenal are meant to be a "better" footballing side but United win more trophies.

You can get out of this league playing passing football, you can get out of this league playing long ball over the top to a big, quick forward, you can get out of this league playing a mixture of both but you can only get out of this league (at least at the right end) by playing WINNING football.

As the late, great Jimmy Sirrell said "the best team always wins, the rest is only gossip".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2011
    Agreed Henry, but changing from one style to another with the same basic personnel or even completely new personnel for theat matter, can mean that you don't suddenly start winning. The question is - and none of us can truthfully answer it - will it come good eventually? depending on where you stand, you could probably make a case either way. At the moment, one day I feel optimistic and th eother more pessimistic. I feel if Powell can get the players he wants and keep the players who are up to the job (I think it would be harder to achieve success quickly without some stability) I think we and he can do it and we could have a much more dominant side who are better to watch - but I can also see how we might not be able to get the players he wants - hopefully actions in the summer will create the positive vibes. Next season could be very enjoyable or as frustrating as this - for me it feels about 50-50 at the moment!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Next season could be very enjoyable or as frustrating as this - for me it feels about 50-50 at the moment!

Not having the advantage of a crystal ball and knowing no more or less than anybody else, I guess we'll have to just wait and see.
  • Options
    Yes - we will probably be evaluating every scrap of evidence in the coming months to see if the odds of sucess or failiure in our minds go up or down!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Yes - we will probably be evaluating every scrap of evidence in the coming months to see if the odds of sucess or failiure in our minds go up or down!

Ask OohAaaagh .....he might say something like 5% Automatics, 10% playoffs, 85% something to moan about.
  • Options
    I'd say that was 100% guaranteed
  • Options
    IMO we need to get away from playing tippy tappy football with no end product. We need to start getting early balls into the front two to feet and play off them. We are playing too many short passes before playing the ball forward, which allows opponents time to drop back into their defensive shape, especially at the Valley. How many times in recent games has Dailly had to bring the ball across the halfway line with a blanket defence in front of him.

We need to play quicker, get it into the front two, get midfielders running beyond, bring the wide players into the build-up quickly and get early balls into the box. " Up, Back and Through" football. Oh, and we need the right players to do it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]IMO we need to get away from playing tippy tappy football with no end product. We need to start getting early balls into the front two to feet and play off them. We are playing too many short passes before playing the ball forward, which allows opponents time to drop back into their defensive shape, especially at the Valley. How many times in recent games has Dailly had to bring the ball across the halfway line with a blanket defence in front of him.

We need to play quicker, get it into the front two, get midfielders running beyond, bring the wide players into the build-up quickly and get early balls into the box. " Up, Back and Through" football. Oh, and we need the right players to do it!

This.
  • Options
    No doubt we are playing better football under CP- Including first 20 minutes against Orient and most of second half when we pressed with intent. Notably we played from the back too. What i think some people forget is we are playing against professional teams who have also know how to play a bit and can respond- Exeter and Carlisle for example. Agree with Henry in that once we can step up or respond in turn we will start winning more games. Crowds are holding up around 15k too which is positive
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: swords_alive[/cite] Crowds are holding up around 15k too which is positive

Yeeah okay, let's call it 15,000. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Groundhog Day?
    Groundhog Day?
    Groundhog Day.
    Was asking Off_It if that was a reference to the Bill Murray film, where he wakes up to that song playing on the radio every morning.

.... I got you babe ..... I got you babe ..... I've got flowers, in the spring..................