Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burka's

Comments

• Options
    If they don't like it, bugger off back to where they came from!
  • Options
    Personally I think they should be banned here and if they don't like it, tough, but Iain Dowie should wear one, good point.
  • Options
    What about the police woman Sharon someone that was shot dead by robbers up north, then one of the suspects left the country dressed in one on a womens passport because he didn't have to show his face at the airport.
  • Options
    What about the police woman Sharon someone that was shot dead by robbers up north, then one of the suspects left the country dressed in one on a womens passport because he didn't have to show his face at the airport.
  • Options
    I thought they were Jedi
  • Options
    I liked the home kit of the mid 70's.
  • Options
    Seeing the state of most women in woolwich high street, I'm kind of hoping they'll catch on over here. ;-)
  • Options
    The wearing of motorcycle helmets is banned in many places because of identification. I believe the same rules should apply to Burkas. ie not a ban due to religious circumstances.

Personally I believe a fundamental belief in any religion or politics is nonsense and has a detrimental affect on society. If we all worked together because it is the right thing to do rather than because our religion said we would go to hell if we didn’t or because our political persuasion told us to act in a certain way then we would al be better off.
    The ability to question and decide our own fate is how and why we evolved above other animals, to blindly follow someone is a sociol step backwards.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    And - last I looked - wearing hoodies wasn't banned either? Bit of an odd post all round, really.

You can't be looking very hard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it should be mandatory for some people!
  • Options
    I like it when you see a little fatty in one, funnier than a european porker for some reason.
  • Options
    underneath that burka is the full works stocking sussies strap on's love eggs and anal beads thats why they cant show their face they are cumming every 2 mins
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]underneath that burka is the full works stocking sussies strap on's love eggs and anal beads thats why they cant show their face they are cumming every 2 mins

In those cases it should definitely be banned so we can see and enjoy the expressions. The only exception should be in the case of your grade A munter, then they must wear them, like a tag for criminals but there arms should be exposed and stamped MUNTER for identification purposes.We have to weigh up the war on terrorism with the affects of being terrorised by a shocking mush.
  • Options
    Considering some of the embarassing stuff we've had to watch this year, perhaps they should be selling them in the Club shop !
  • Options
    Personally find them fairly uncomfortable but theyre bloody useful when youre nicking stuff from Tesco
  • Options
    It's one of those contradictions. In our society, we see it as oppresive and unequal to women. If I forced my wife to completely cover herself up, everytime she went out, I'd probably be arrested for abuse. Having said that, if you are a woman who has been indoctrinated into the religion, you want to wear it and you want to be opressed because you interpret the Koran to tell you that you should be.

But a line has to be drawn - the Koran applied literally may tell you that it is ok to cut the hands off a thief or stone an adulterer. If you live in certain countries you can expect this treatment - but a fundamental muslim isn't going to get away with it in the UK or Europe even if the Koran says it should happen. Is it unreasonable to say that if you live in a tolerant country where we have strong beliefs around equality that respecting those beliefs should come above religion.

Muslims will say that the rule of God is more important than the rule of Government, but maybe it is justified to argue that anybody who chooses to live here or France or any other similar country has to respect and abide by its rules/culture which are based around it's collective values. This in itself becomes complicated as a lot of the people who wear the Burka are British - this is their country -they were born here. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in France but it feels like so many relgious/idealogical disputes a no win mess. It will probably galvanise fundamentalist fervour in France, and as recent history has shown us, it is probably best to steer clear of immotive no win issues.
  • Options
    I lived in Kuwait - a conservative Muslim country - for about a year.

The Kuwaiti government left it up to me to decide how I wanted to dress, and no Kuwaitis ever commented on what I was wearing or took the p*ss because I happened to dress a bit differently to them ("wearing shorts? That's just so he can run faster when he nicks something from Boots").

Myself, I think we should show Muslims the same courtesy in our own country.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]
    And - last I looked - wearing hoodies wasn't banned either? Bit of an odd post all round, really.

Fair enough - show me a law that says wearing hoodies is banned.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]I lived in Kuwait - a conservative Muslim country - for about a year.

The Kuwaiti government left it up to me to decide how I wanted to dress, and no Kuwaitis ever commented on what I was wearing or took the p*ss because I happened to dress a bit differently to them ("wearing shorts? That's just so he can run faster when he nicks something from Boots").

Lets be honest here though - this isn't about us not wanting people walking around with there heads covered because we don't like the look of it - it's about identification and if the government and relevant authorities feel it is a problem then thats good enough for me - the rest is all guff and i don't think drawinga comparison with wearing shorts is a particularly good analogy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2011
    They should go back to their own countries. If they don't contribute anything positive to our country then bollox to em.
  • Options
    Well I am in the dichotomy/bleeding heart fence sitter camp on this one - hey no surprise there then I here you cry.

I am struck by the irony of their use.

On balance I wouldn't ban them but I would work for greater integration and security of those who believe they have to wear them out of fear or a misplaced sense of duty. Education and a better more equal and open way forward is what I stand on.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This will no doubt detract terrorism from UK to France.

I'm sure the European Court will overrule France's decision very soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]I lived in Kuwait - a conservative Muslim country - for about a year.

I lived in Saudi Arabia mate.

The intolerant tossers insisted on how we dressed. Men couldnt wear shorts and womens' bare faces, arms and legs were blacked out in marker pen on the front of magazines. I even remember as a 12 year old being in a shop and there was a rubber dinghy and the 7 year old girl in a swimsuit on the box had her arms and legs covered up with black marker pen. 7 years old!?!!

Weird, perverted lunatics.

On the numerous occasions the heavily armed mattawah (religious police a bit like the taliban) would patrol round the shops and tap my mum's ankles with a stick if they were even slightly uncovered in her enforced burka. Luckily for her she was a white westerner....any philipino women committing a similar crime would usually endure a public beating.

Backwards, hypocritical and sick country and how our country and the US can espouse equality and democracy whilst cosying up to those scumbags makes me chuckle.

I dont think we should show Muslims the same lack of courtesy in our country as we are more civilised.

Couldnt care less what they wear just feel sorry for them being so brainwashed and living such a backwards way of life but i do find it pretty divisive and ill be honest find it uncomfortable walking round Whitechapel and even in Bromley and seeing women in head to toe burkas as it reminds me of Saudi Arabia.

Having said that the notion of banning them is as bizarre to me as banning skull caps or turbans.
  • Options
    Took my mate ages to explain to his little brother that they weren't black peoples ghosts!

Really dont like burkas but cant see how they can have a legitimate reason for banning them. Always thought it should be mandatory for them to have to be taken off if requested for identification - but banning them is a bit far imo
  • Options

Fair enough - show me a law that says wearing hoodies is banned.

You said banned, not illegal, we both know full well hoodies are not 'illegal' but hoodies are banned in plenty of places, bluewater being one of them.

Only the other week a bouncer made me take my parker hood down at a rave.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]They should go back to their own countries. If they don't contribute anything positive to our country then bollox to em.

How does wearing a burka stop them from contributing anything?
  • Options
    Did your wife force you to wear shorts, Sao Paulo?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]
    Lets be honest here though - this isn't about us not wanting people walking around with there heads covered because we don't like the look of it - it's about identification and if the government and relevant authorities feel it is a problem then thats good enough for me - the rest is all guff and i don't think drawinga comparison with wearing shorts is a particularly good analogy.

The French ban has nothing to do with security issues, it's purely down to the morality or otherwise of women being veiled.

As far as I know there are no gangs of burkha clad armed robbers attacking banks up and down England so the security argument is a red herring. Obviously I can see the need that where the police, immigration, security etc need to verify identify then women should be required to remove their burkha, but that's completely different from banning wearing the burkha. If you're going to be logical about the security argument and say that everybody should be readily identifiable at all times in public, then you'd also have to potentially ban hats, scarves, sunglasses, football facepaints etc.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: davy[/cite]They should go back to their own countries. If they don't contribute anything positive to our country then bollox to em.

How does wearing a burka stop them from contributing anything?

Only in photos.