Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barcelona Vs Real Madrid 4 times in 18 days

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite](although being the contrary sod I am, I would support Espanyol, not Barca).
    That's like saying you'd support Palace over Charlton!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eldavide[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: eldavide[/cite]Fantastic!!
    The game must've been great if the only things worth talking about were a laser and what happens if the ball hits a camera!
    Still 3 more to go eh?
    LOL @ this bloke. Arguably the best club side in history, and you think it's crap. Barca put together a move in the first half that was as good as any you will ever see in football. That alone made it worth watching. Of course, the real quality took place in the FA cup semi-final earlier - oh, wait a minute, no it didn't - it was dogshit. Take your head out of your arsehole and enjoy it - sooner or later Real's money will end up nullifying Barca's passing game. Until it does, use your Sky subscription for the only thing that makes it valuable any more - watching the best team on the planet lay waste to all in front of them.
    I watched neither game, I don't have Sky, however given the choice, and if they were both on at the same time I would've watched Bolton V Stoke every time. Given that 5 moves, wonderful or not ended in GOALS, I think I might've got the better deal. I never said it was crap, only that it bores me. What really gets me is the media hype these games up, jizzes over the players on show, and brainwash people like you into believing in it! if you truly believe that a Sky subsciption is worth one passing move alone, you must have more money than sense! I don't buy into Barcelona (also annoys me all this BARCA rubbish) wiping all before them, Spainish league is a glorified Scottish league, only two teams will ever win it, in Europe they've won twice in 6 years, Liverpool have been in the same amount of finals in that time, I still remember their win more than Barcelona's 2, oh yeah they beat an Arsenal team who had 10 men for most of the game, totally dominant!
    To take your 'points' one by one.

If goals are all you're after, maybe you should just switch to watching basketball - they 'score' about ever 20 seconds, so it should hold your interest.
    The media hype is laughable, yes - but it's also justified. There has never been a team as good as the Barca team of the current day. On top of that, unlike Chelsea/ManYoo/Real/Inter they actually play attractive, attacking football. No wonder the media w***s themselves into a frenzy over it when you consider the putrid tripe that passes for football in the premiershit these days.
    I didn't say a Sky subscription is worth one passing move alone. I said it was worth watching for that move alone. Read things properly before you restort.
    It isn't 'BARCA rubbish' - that's what Catalans call the team. It's also what the majority of Spaniards call them, and the Spanish media. Or do you say 'Manchester United' every time you mention them?
    In the last fifteen seasons, the English league (Premiership) has been won by a grand total of three different teams. During the same period, the Spanish league (La Liga) has been won by five different teams. Which is more competitive?
    I'm not entirely sure what point you're attempting to make at the end there - other than the current Barca side have been the most successful in Europe in the past six seasons (which kind of makes my point more valid - so thanks for that)
    Ok, so you're 100% sure there as never been a better team in all time than the current Barcelona? Or did Real Madrid not win this competition 5 years in a row? Sorry should apologise for mentioning them,probably offended you as I take it you're a native Catalonian, and therefore able to say Barca without sounding like a knob!
    Your point about more teams winning the Spanish league is a bit weird, I never said the Premier league is better (read thing properly before you retort!), but the fact that Barcelona have not won it as much as Manchester United(yes, not Man U, or even worse UNITED) doesn't show it's more competitive, I fully expect them to win it alot more in the future, just because it isn't competitive NOW. Without having a full list, I'm willing to bet more different English teams have qualified for the CL, than there have been Spanish, that's a more competitive league in my opinion, however I'm quite prepared to be put right on this if anyone can come up with a definitve list.
  • Options
    *only another 2 weeks of this thread to go*...;o)

...sits back and relaxes.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The game must've been great if the only things worth talking about were a laser and what happens if the ball hits a camera!
    Still 3 more to go eh?
    LOL @ this bloke. Arguably the best club side in history, and you think it's crap. Barca put together a move in the first half that was as good as any you will ever see in football. That alone made it worth watching. Of course, the real quality took place in the FA cup semi-final earlier - oh, wait a minute, no it didn't - it was dogshit. Take your head out of your arsehole and enjoy it - sooner or later Real's money will end up nullifying Barca's passing game. Until it does, use your Sky subscription for the only thing that makes it valuable any more - watching the best team on the planet lay waste to all in front of them.
    I watched neither game, I don't have Sky, however given the choice, and if they were both on at the same time I would've watched Bolton V Stoke every time. Given that 5 moves, wonderful or not ended in GOALS, I think I might've got the better deal. I never said it was crap, only that it bores me. What really gets me is the media hype these games up, jizzes over the players on show, and brainwash people like you into believing in it! if you truly believe that a Sky subsciption is worth one passing move alone, you must have more money than sense! I don't buy into Barcelona (also annoys me all this BARCA rubbish) wiping all before them, Spainish league is a glorified Scottish league, only two teams will ever win it, in Europe they've won twice in 6 years, Liverpool have been in the same amount of finals in that time, I still remember their win more than Barcelona's 2, oh yeah they beat an Arsenal team who had 10 men for most of the game, totally dominant!

If goals are all you're after, maybe you should just switch to watching basketball - they 'score' about ever 20 seconds, so it should hold your interest.
    The media hype is laughable, yes - but it's also justified. There has never been a team as good as the Barca team of the current day. On top of that, unlike Chelsea/ManYoo/Real/Inter they actually play attractive, attacking football. No wonder the media w***s themselves into a frenzy over it when you consider the putrid tripe that passes for football in the premiershit these days.
    I didn't say a Sky subscription is worth one passing move alone. I said it was worth watching for that move alone. Read things properly before you restort.
    It isn't 'BARCA rubbish' - that's what Catalans call the team. It's also what the majority of Spaniards call them, and the Spanish media. Or do you say 'Manchester United' every time you mention them?
    In the last fifteen seasons, the English league (Premiership) has been won by a grand total of three different teams. During the same period, the Spanish league (La Liga) has been won by five different teams. Which is more competitive?
    I'm not entirely sure what point you're attempting to make at the end there - other than the current Barca side have been the most successful in Europe in the past six seasons (which kind of makes my point more valid - so thanks for that)
    Ok, so you're 100% sure there as never been a better team in all time than the current Barcelona? Or did Real Madrid not win this competition 5 years in a row? Sorry should apologise for mentioning them,probably offended you as I take it you're a native Catalonian, and therefore able to say Barca without sounding like a knob!
    Your point about more teams winning the Spanish league is a bit weird, I never said the Premier league is better (read thing properly before you retort!), but the fact that Barcelona have not won it as much as Manchester United(yes, not Man U, or even worse UNITED) doesn't show it's more competitive, I fully expect them to win it alot more in the future, just because it isn't competitive NOW. Without having a full list, I'm willing to bet more different English teams have qualified for the CL, than there have been Spanish, that's a more competitive league in my opinion, however I'm quite prepared to be put right on this if anyone can come up with a definitve list.
    Your wind-up fails on every level. However, in the interests of letting you think you've won - I'll let you have the last word.

PS: In the twenty years since 1991, these are the following qualifiers for the champions' league from England and Spain:

Premiership:
    Man Utd (17 times)
    Arsenal (13 times)
    Chelsea (9 times)
    Liverpool (7 times)
    Newcastle (3 times)
    Blackburn (1 time)
    Leeds (1 time)
    Everton (1 time)
    Tottenham (1 time)

La Liga:
    Barca (16 times)
    Real (14 times)
    Valencia (8 times)
    Deportivo (5 times)
    Sevilla (2 times)
    Villareal (2 times)
    Atletico Madrid (2 times)
    Mallorca (2 times)
    Osasuna (1 time)
    Betis (1 time)
    Real Sociedad (1 time)
    Celta Vigo (1 time)
    Athletic Bilbao (1 time)
  • Options
    Boo
  • Options
    Since 2001 there have been 7 English teams in Champions League - chelsea,MU,Ars.Tot,Liv,Ever,Newc

Not sure how many places the Spanish leagues got, but the top 3 in same period (presumably all qualifying) is also 7 clubs Madrid,Barca,Sevilla,Villareal,Sociedad,Valencia,Deportivo - but of course I dont know who the 4th placed teams are and if they qualified.
  • Options
    Pah - all that work for nothing.
  • Options
    Leroy, I think you'll find that the best club team of all times is Real Madrid at the end of the 1950s. Barca don't have anything as good as Di Stéfano & Puskás and 5 European cups in a row, not bad hey! ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]Leroy, I think you'll find that the best club team of all times is Real Madrid at the end of the 1950s. Barca don't have anything as good as Di Stéfano & Puskás and 5 European cups in a row, not bad hey! ;-)
    WUM

The Franco AllStars don't count
  • Options
    Still 3 more to go eh?

Your wind-up fails on every level. However, in the interests of letting you think you've won - I'll let you have the last word.

PS: In the twenty years since 1991, these are the following qualifiers for the champions' league from England and Spain:

Premiership:
    Man Utd (17 times)
    Arsenal (13 times)
    Chelsea (9 times)
    Liverpool (7 times)
    Newcastle (3 times)
    Blackburn (1 time)
    Leeds (1 time)
    Everton (1 time)
    Tottenham (1 time)

La Liga:
    Barca (16 times)
    Real (14 times)
    Valencia (8 times)
    Deportivo (5 times)
    Sevilla (2 times)
    Villareal (2 times)
    Atletico Madrid (2 times)
    Mallorca (2 times)
    Osasuna (1 time)
    Betis (1 time)
    Real Sociedad (1 time)
    Celta Vigo (1 time)
    Athletic Bilbao (1 time)
    Thanks for the stats, happy to be proved wrong very interesting got all 9 English and 7 Spanish ones myself, not sure why you've proved your point, then conceded, but maybe the Allstars comment above explains it! Or perhaps the Ajax team of the 70's?
    Eltham addick, if in the next two weeks, the games are all 6-5 wonder games then, again happy to be proved wrong! But something tells me that if you want entertainment then stick to watching this thread! (or paint dry!)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why does there have to be loads of goals for the games to be great?

Some of the passing play on Saturday was breathtaking.
  • Options
    I got back from Madrid earlier today. A group of us, including a couple of Spanish journalist friends, go on annual football trips to different parts of Spain and take in several games at different levels.

I thought Saturday's game was excellent and it was a tremendous occasion. Madrid are strong, athletic and very determined - a typical Mourinho team - but they are over-reliant on Ronaldo and were made to look pretty ordinary. It is going to be very difficult to get the better of Barcelona over this series of games, although Puyol will be missed and Barca are a little vulnerable at set plays. Although Xavi and Iniesta are rightly lauded, Busquet is, in many respects, the fulcrum of the side - always available and always offering the the man in possession another option. It must be exhausting to play against them, both physically and mentally. To top it all, you then have to cope with the extraordinary Messi - every time he got on the ball, a frission of fear went around the entire stadium ( save for the tiny pocket of Barca fans up in the gods ). But for Villa being so lamentably out of form and confidence, Barca would have wrapped it up before the late penalty ( a good job for Spain that the World Cup came last year, given Torres' form as well ).

Barca are a wonderful side and most of the players have come through their own academy. It says it all that Real - for all the hundreds of millions they have spent - had to play a containing game on their own patch, despite being 8 points adrift. That really is the ultimate compliment.

We also took in Getafe and Seville earlier on Saturday. It was not a good game and I was very disappointed with Seville, given their league position ( especially having seen them turn over Real Betis in a very hostile local derby a couple of years ago ). There were only about 10,000 there, although it can't be easy for Getafe being the third team in Madrid behind Real and Athletico. Saw a much better second tier game Sunday lunchtime - Andacona v Tenerife ( who are facing successive relegations - the regional third division really is the wilderness ).

I am looking forward to the next 3 games in the El Clasico series. Mourinho is a brilliant manager but I don't envy him his task.
  • Options
    Goals or no goals.......possession football or long ball.......this 1-1 game was shite.........so, so boring.
  • Options
    Posted By: Leroy Ambrose

(although being the contrary sod I am, I would support Espanyol, not Barca).

No it's not, It's like saying you support Charlton over Arsenal, Leroy. Given the choice between the huge successful multinational franchise, or the plucky underdog, I choose the latter, you choose the former.... glory boy.... ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose

No it's not, It's like saying you support Charlton over Arsenal, Leroy. Given the choice between the huge successful multinational franchise, or the plucky underdog, I choose the latter, you choose the former.... glory boy.... ;-)
    Ha. There are very specific reasons I support Barca - and they have nothing to do with glory! It does help that they're absolutely f***ing brilliant though :o). Got no Espanyol supporters in my family at all.
  • Options
    *druels*

This should be awesome.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose

No it's not, It's like saying you support Charlton over Arsenal, Leroy. Given the choice between the huge successful multinational franchise, or the plucky underdog, I choose the latter, you choose the former.... glory boy.... ;-)[/quote]Ha. There are very specific reasons I support Barca - and they have nothing to do with glory! It does help that they're absolutely f***ing brilliant though :o). Got no Espanyol supporters in my family at all.[/quote]There was a documentary on ESPN classic about the rivalry, its fair to say it's a lot more than just football! Interesting how you're so against the politics surrounding The Old Firm. It's also surprising that a team like Espanyol is able to exist when Barca mean so much to the people of Catalonia.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose

Ha. There are very specific reasons I support Barca - and they have nothing to do with glory! It does help that they're absolutely f***ing brilliant though :o). Got no Espanyol supporters in my family at all.
    There was a documentary on ESPN classic about the rivalry, its fair to say it's a lot more than just football! Interesting how you're so against the politics surrounding The Old Firm. It's also surprising that a team like Espanyol is able to exist when Barca mean so much to the people of Catalonia.
    The rivalry between Real and Barca is nothing like the old firm rivalry. And just because Barca are 'mes un club', doesn't mean there isn't room for another team(s) in the region.
  • Options
    Come on leroy, it's 'mes que un club'
  • Options
    I think it's probably undeniable that La Liga is becoming, or has already become, ridiculously uncompetitive. The current gap between 1st place and 5th place is 37 points. To put that into context, that's the same as the Premiership gap between 1st and 20th!

For all the Premier League's faults, it at least shares the TV revenue equally, whilst La Liga lets Barcelona and Madrid negotiate their own deals and thus leave all competitors for dust. This is going to be a great series of matches, but as Sid Lowe said on football weekly, there's a worry that it might not be special and one-off and we could see something like it repeated most seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The rivalry between Real and Barca is nothing like the old firm rivalry. And just because Barca are 'mes un club', doesn't mean there isn't room for another team(s) in the region.
    Politics based on national identity, international flags at the games, dominated the league, republicans V nationalists, royal family supports one of the teams, swap Franco for Oliver Cromwell, etc. Clearly a lot of difference but similarities are also present.

With that being said, c'mon Real Madrid!
  • Options
    backed barca in 90 minutes .... hence their failure

mourinho , how does he do it

0-1 to madrid ronaldo in extra time
  • Options
    Technically, Madrid aren't as good as Barca, but they can adapt better to different teams. Barca couldn't break down the defence with slick passing moves, so they tried more slick passing moves. They then panicked and sent Pique up front who proceeded to foul all that stood (and subsequently rolled around like men possessed) before him. Credit to Mourinho, had a world player of the year on his bench but stuck to his tactics and in the end it paid off.
  • Options
    My match report of last night's Cup final:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/21042011/58/la-liga-ronaldo-fires-real-copa-glory.html
  • Options
    Who was the world player of the year on the bench??
  • Options
    Watched this last night, very good contest but the attempts of both sides to get members of the opposition sent off at times was quite frankly appalling.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Who was the world player of the year on the bench??

i'm guessing kaka
  • Options
    Kaka is pony tho!!

That Ramos is an oaf, and Ketters is right, i cant watch this type of show pony rubbishy football because of exactly what he said!! Cheating muppets rather watch clogger football any day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Ramos dropped the Copa del Rey off the top of the bus

Its not called the Cup now , its called The Plate