Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Jenkinson

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Sorry mate Id prefer a bit of loyalty and seeing him try and get us back in the top flight rather than going to play somewhere else.

Sick of being a mug punter paying for these players to come through and then jump ship as soon as a bigger club shows a bit of interest.
    He's been here for about 10 years, Man Utd were rumoured to be looking at him two years ago. No doubt clubs have been keeping an eye on him.

The club only offered him a 1 year deal last summer, they didn't show that much faith in him (though perhaps they couldn't afford to). So why should he stay?

While we're a League 1 club almost any player here would go to one of the top clubs if offered the chance. That's just how it is. Shelvey showed some loyalty but then the club had planned to offer him a long term pro deal to sign soon as he was 17. About 6 months later he then got another years extension. They're the same age but Jenkinson got a shoter pro deal a season and a half later into his career.

Had Jenkinson been offered a long term pro deal at 17 he'd probably still have a year or two on his contract. If he doesn't sign for Arsenal in the summer they'll surely look elsewhere for another young right back, he might not get that chance for a while, if ever.

And if it's true he supports Arsenal, who can blame him signing for them? If I was a young player at a Blue Square side and Charlton offered me a deal I wouldn't be able to turn it down.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Sorry mate Id prefer a bit of loyalty and seeing him try and get us back in the top flight rather than going to play somewhere else.

Sick of being a mug punter paying for these players to come through and then jump ship as soon as a bigger club shows a bit of interest.
    He's been here for about 10 years, Man Utd were rumoured to be looking at him two years ago. No doubt clubs have been keeping an eye on him.

The club only offered him a 1 year deal last summer, they didn't show that much faith in him (though perhaps they couldn't afford to). So why should he stay?

While we're a League 1 club almost any player here would go to one of the top clubs if offered the chance. That's just how it is. Shelvey showed some loyalty but then the club had planned to offer him a long term pro deal to sign soon as he was 17. About 6 months later he then got another years extension. They're the same age but Jenkinson got a shoter pro deal a season and a half later into his career.

Had Jenkinson been offered a long term pro deal at 17 he'd probably still have a year or two on his contract. If he doesn't sign for Arsenal in the summer they'll surely look elsewhere for another young right back, he might not get that chance for a while, if ever.

And if it's true he supports Arsenal, who can blame him signing for them? If I was a young player at a Blue Square side and Charlton offered me a deal I wouldn't be able to turn it down.

The voice of reason.

How many of those outraged over Jenkinson's decision, even spared a thought for Ipswich when they lost Darren Bent, or Bolton when their relegation forced them to sell Fish/Jensen or even Plymouth this season. I'm sure Dagenham fans were questioning the loyalty of Benson as well, after all how did he repay their faith in them giving him his break in the pro-game?!

Our fault for not giving him a longer deal. End of.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I'm sure Dagenham fans were questioning the loyalty of Benson as well, after all how did he repay their faith in them giving him his break in the pro-game?!

By signing a contract, not getting moody and demanding a move and biding his time doing his job until a club came calling that would meet his asking price so that all parties were happy with the arrangement. John Still "found" him for Dagenham. He did the business for Dagenham and by all accounts they got a good market price for him. It's a question of class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]

The voice of reason.

Surely one of the remaining perks of being a football fan is not to attach reason into your thought process ?

If we come out of the tribunal / agreed development fee well, i'll forget about it. If we don't, then i'll probably soften my opinion in about 3 years time.

But for now, i'm happy to hold the 'unfair and unreasonable' view that he is a young player who has gone about things the wrong way, and who i don't want to see in our named squad for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    We should have tied him to a longer deal ages ago, but here is a question for all of you...

If you got approached by a bigger company to do the same job as what you are doing now but for more money, would you take them up on it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]

The voice of reason.

Surely one of the remaining perks of being a football fan is not to attach reason into your thought process ?

If we come out of the tribunal / agreed development fee well, i'll forget about it. If we don't, then i'll probably soften my opinion in about 3 years time.

But for now, i'm happy to hold the 'unfair and unreasonable' view that he is a young player who has gone about things the wrong way, and who i don't want to see in our named squad for the rest of the season.

I can be as unreasonable as anyone :)

The way I see it - is he was coming to the end of his contract & he was (allegedly) offered a contract by a Premier League club - I can't see what is unreasonable in his decision in the context of the nature of game he is trying to make a career in.

If anyone can let me know a better option available on the bench for yesterday's game in his position given the fact that we had an injury prone LB & a dodgy RB, I will quietly wither away from this debate.
  • Options
    Burn him for being a Gooner-----------------END OF !!!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc999[/cite]We should have tied him to a longer deal ages ago, but here is a question for all of you...

If you got approached by a bigger company to do the same job as what you are doing now but for more money, would you take them up on it?

But it really isn’t the same. People often make this comparison, but in reality comparing football and a “normal” job which most of us have isn’t really comparing apples for apples is it ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I'm sure Dagenham fans were questioning the loyalty of Benson as well, after all how did he repay their faith in them giving him his break in the pro-game?!

By signing a contract, not getting moody and demanding a move and biding his time doing his job until a club came calling that would meet his asking price so that all parties were happy with the arrangement. John Still "found" him for Dagenham. He did the business for Dagenham and by all accounts they got a good market price for him. It's a question of class.

fair pont, Benson was a bad example
  • Options
    Richard Cawley about three weeks ago stated in the SLP that there was a deal .......
    at the time I questioned it, on this board! and because he has not played I assumed as in the case of Shelvey this was because of a possible injury.

I questioned this last year to Richard Murray and Keith Peacock at the branch meetings they attended!

At the time we were in the playoffs, and not in the no mans land we are at present.

As previously posted Charlton may make an improved offer!, the details I have no idea of, and I would venture no one else does!( except the parties involved)

Why was he on the bench yesterday and not several weeks ago , I have no idea!..... only Chris Powell and the people would know for certain, I assume, and it is an assumption was that his head was full of
    uncertainty,and not focused!. I get the feeling this is not a done deal, quite yet. Perhaps I am a living in hope!

I do not know the lad personally, but it does take two sides to negotiate!..... and he has been here 10 years apparently!...... So more than enough time to make an evaluation!

Is it a certainty that every young player who leaves must be disloyal!.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a prick. To turn down a contract offer when you're shit anyway is a stupid thing to do. He can fuck right off
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Richard Cawley about three weeks ago stated in the SLP that there was a deal .......
    at the time I questioned it, on this board! and because he has not played I assumed as in the case of Shelvey this was because of a possible injury.

I questioned this last year to Richard Murray and Keith Peacock at the branch meetings they attended!

At the time we were in the playoffs, and not in the no mans land we are at present.

As previously posted Charlton may make an improved offer!, the details I have no idea of, and I would venture no one else does!( except the parties involved)

Why was he on the bench yesterday and not several weeks ago , I have no idea!..... only Chris Powell and the people would know for certain, I assume, and it is an assumption was that his head was full of
    uncertainty,and not focused!. I get the feeling this is not a done deal, quite yet. Perhaps I am a living in hope!

I do not know the lad personally, but it does take two sides to negotiate!..... and he has been here 10 years apparently!...... So more than enough time to make an evaluation!

!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Richard Cawley about three weeks ago stated in the SLP that there was a deal .......

!!!

Pity that you do not turn up and ask some questions then mate!........
    or like the previous poster just slag off a young player!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]

!!!

Pity that you do not turn up and ask some questions then mate!........
    or like the previous poster just slag off a young player!

• Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't resent Jenkinson going to Arsenal if he wishes.

It's the way he's done it that I resent. Shelvey signed a contract with Charlton which enabled the Club to get a return on the time and money invested in him. Every right thinking fan wishes him well and will continue to follow his career with interest in the hope that he fulfills his considerable potential. If he ever returns to The Valley to play against us he will get a deserved generous round of applause.

Jenkinson could have done what Jonjo did. However he chose not to. I didn't abuse him myself because it's not what I do but I can fully understand the feelings of resentment that have provoked a hostile reaction towards him.

As someone else posted elsewhere it's about class and Jenkinson appears not to have it.
  • Options
    se9addick,

Why is not the same though? A career is a career in ones chosen field - be it a footballer, fireman, teacher, etc,etc

You have not answered the question though? If you played for Charlton and Real Madrid came in for you and offered you more money - what would you do?
  • Options
    Fair point's Len, I think when it comes to contract talks....... we only hear a version of some of the details!...... and as we all know the devil is in the detail
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I don't resent Jenkinson going to Arsenal if he wishes.

It's the way he's done it that I resent. Shelvey signed a contract with Charlton which enabled the Club to get a return on the time and money invested in him. Every right thinking fan wishes him well and will continue to follow his career with interest in the hope that he fulfills his considerable potential. If he ever returns to The Valley to play against us he will get a deserved generous round of applause.

Jenkinson could have done what Jonjo did. However he chose not to. I didn't abuse him myself because it's not what I do but I can fully understand the feelings of resentment that have provoked a hostile reaction towards him.

As someone else posted elsewhere it's about class and Jenkinson appears not to have it.

but maybe him signing a new contract last month or whenever could have jeapordised his dream move to Arsenal, I know we like to think of players as one of us but he is a professional & ultimately he owes it to himself to secure the deal that is right for him & his future

10 years development with the club is all fine & dandly, but there are also youngsters (Carter, Harris, Camacho, Hall) being cast aside by the club this season, after I would imagine similar lengths of time under development - loyalty works both ways

anyway the question was - was it right for him to be in yesterday's squad? - I was very suprised he was, but who knows what Powell's options were? Maybe he should have just named 6 subs - but then he would have been criticised for that too.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I don't resent Jenkinson going to Arsenal if he wishes.

but maybe him signing a new contract last month or whenever could have jeapordised his dream move to Arsenal, I know we like to think of players as one of us but he is a professional & ultimately he owes it to himself to secure the deal that is right for him & his future

10 years development with the club is all fine & dandly, but there are also youngsters (Carter, Harris, Camacho, Hall) being cast aside by the club this season, after I would imagine similar lengths of time under development - loyalty works both ways

anyway the question was - was it right for him to be in yesterday's squad? - I was very suprised he was, but who knows what Powell's options were? Maybe he should have just named 6 subs - but then he would have been criticised for that too.

Two ways of looking at it. One view is obviously that we are still paying him so let him get splinters in his bum but my view is that in a "nothing" game, which yesterday was, it would have been of greater benefit to stick someone who has signed up, eg Cousins, on the bench to soak up a matchday atmosphere.

EDIT: As regards your point about the rejected youngsters the difference is that they know (or should know) that there are no guarantees and only a minority get to become full professionals. That's why they spend time in the academy studying other subjects and trades.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

Two ways of looking at it. One view is obviously that we are still paying him so let him get splinters in his bum but my view is that in a "nothing" game, which yesterday was, it would have been of greater benefit to stick someone who has signed up, eg Cousins, on the bench to soak up a matchday atmosphere.

I might be wrong Len, but I'm sure the commentary team said it was a very last minute call up to the bench - he was actually in the car on his way home or something!! All in all, an odd situation, but one I am sure with precedent either here or elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had several players out injured, a few others suspended. I doubt that CP wanted to put him on the bench, and didn't play him when he had the chance after Bessone was subbed, but sometimes needs must. What if we'd had a couple of injuries to starting players?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc999[/cite]se9addick,

Why is not the same though? A career is a career in ones chosen field - be it a footballer, fireman, teacher, etc,etc

You have not answered the question though? If you played for Charlton and Real Madrid came in for you and offered you more money - what would you do?

999 – they are two different questions. Surely you can see that a career as a footballer is not the same as a regular job (fireman, teacher, etc, etc). For a start 15,000 people don’t show up to watch a teacher do their job. Secondly, if I want to leave my current work I hand in my notice and leave. There are no transfer fees involved, we shake hands and say goodbye. One of the primary reasons for that is because my company haven’t nurtured me since I was 10, they haven’t overseen my development to the extent that you could say that I would never have been the employee (using your analogy) that I am without their significant investment. That’s the difference. We’ve invested in him, had very little return and now he’s leaving us for basically nothing. Jonjo left at the same age for a big club and did it in the right way. I can handle players leaving Charlton, it’s how they go about it which is important.

And what would I do if Real Madrid came in for me and I played for Charlton. Well again, that goes back to my previous point on the other page. The reaction of a player and a fan are unfortunately mutually exclusive. Carl Jenkinson has to do what’s best for him, unfortunately this time that doesn’t equate with what’s best for Charlton Athletic – my concern. So he’s right (in his mind) to leave but I’m right to disapprove of his decision.

Oh – and in my imaginary world it’s always Barca who come in for me after I’ve broken Charlton’s all time scoring record (it only took me three seasons) and I sign a new four year contract for us the day before negotiations begin so Charlton get £40m .
  • Options
    Anyone seen Jenkinson's facebook page?

Comments from his friends and family on there just go to show where he has this idea that he is better than us.
    Can't wait for him to get a taste of the big leagues and then end up back in league 1.
    Prick.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]That’s the difference. We’ve invested in him, had very little return and now he’s leaving us for basically nothing. Jonjo left at the same age for a big club and did it in the right way. I can handle players leaving Charlton, it’s how they go about it which is important.
    What if this is his only chance though? If he signs a new deal here, his price goes up (we're still getting compensation remember) and Arsenal look elsewhere. He's not in the same position as Shelvey was, he's only a cheap gamble for a Premier League club who need a player in his position. Shelvey is and was seen as one of the best prospects in the country, the club got him on a long term pro deal as soon as possible even though we knew one day he'd move on.

The club took the risk in keeping 5 young players on, perhaps they should have kept less of them on but on longer contracts. I couldn't have said this time last year that I thought the others were unlikely to make it, but it's not surprised me that Mambo, Davisson, Tuna and Perkins are still nowhere near the first team.

Jenkinson is now in the same position as all the other out of contract players. Semedo and Racon have been here for 4 years, will they be seen as disloyal if they leave? Or does it not count as they didn't come through the youth system? Is McGinty also disloyal for leaving for Man Utd?

I just can't blame him for moving on when the biggest mistake was the club not seeing his potential. They've got it right with other promising players in most cases. In the few times I saw him he was clearly more promising than some of the others the club also decided to keep on. Hopefully the club will make sure they don't make the same mistake again.
  • Options
    its really simple IMHO. The lad has taken advantage of a offer from one of the worlds best clubs and coaches and who can blame him ? BUT now that he is all but gone he shouldn't be anywhere near our first team or reserves for that matter. He could have done a deal ala Jonjo and I doubt that there would have been any murmur of dissent for the lad. He didn't consider he owed Charlton his club since age nine anything and what goes around comes around we the fans owe him nothing. I wouldn't boo him but he has done us no favours so bye. As Len said above no class.
  • Options
    He is working his notice out se9....he will leave when his contract expires. Maybe the offer they gave him wasn't what he wanted?

Grant Basey & Deon Burton left when they offered less wages.....what's the difference?

If the company that you worked for offered you a new contract (If you are on one) and it wasn't what you expected or wanted, what would you do?

Look, I agree that it leaves a bad taste in the mouth as we have invested time & money on him and it looks like we will get nothing in return, but that is football. It is full of unscrupilous people stealing a load of money out of the game by brainwashing young lads. Yes, he could have gone about it in a better way but he hasn't - thats his look out.

Players come and go - I for one will not lose any sleep over it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite As Len said above no class.

That's the crux of it.

Of course i understand the once in a lifetime opportunity of going to one of the biggest clubs in the world etc but there are ways of going about things.

Yeah he is young, but he's not 10. You know at that age what a football club means to its fans...especially a club like ours in a league like this...it means a hell of a lot for us to turn up and watch the rubbish we do week in week out and then see our best talents wanting to leave or being sold because we arent good enough to keep them is heartbreaking.

To me it is just complete disregard for the club and those who have supported him on the pitch and financially paid for his development of it. Yes equally there is the rational argument that if a player doesnt make the grade then they would be out on their ear and there is no loyalty to them.

Additionally of course most of us would jump ship at our jobs if someone offered us a better deal....but to be honest if I did I dont think thousands of people would be gutted if i left and very much doubt it would have any impact on the potential of the company i work for....doubt anyone would even notice other than a few ladies missing the eye candy.

Quite true but football isnt logical and rational and cant tangibly be compared to other careers.

Ill probably be something similar to what AFKA said, Ill be bitter and pissed off now but in a few years wont be resentful (or as resentful) in the same way I dont feel any real resentment for De foe and Parker just disappointment.
  • Options
    Can we all please remember that he has only made 7 starts for us - it is not like he has scored 30 goals this season, so the notion that thousands of people will be gutted if he left is rubbish
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I just can't blame him for moving on when the biggest mistake was the club not seeing his potential. They've got it right with other promising players in most cases. In the few times I saw him he was clearly more promising than some of the others the club also decided to keep on. Hopefully the club will make sure they don't make the same mistake again.

I agree. As soon as I saw him for the first time on TV against Brentford I wondered why he never even featured on the bench last season. It looks like Parky and others involved failed to spot his potential as quickly as they should have done. Which is odd when the Finnish national team scouts had done so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I just can't blame him for moving on when the biggest mistake was the club not seeing his potential. They've got it right with other promising players in most cases. In the few times I saw him he was clearly more promising than some of the others the club also decided to keep on. Hopefully the club will make sure they don't make the same mistake again.

I agree. As soon as I saw him for the first time on TV against Brentford I wondered why he never even featured on the bench last season. It looks like Parky and others involved failed to spot his potential as quickly as they should have done. Which is odd when the Finnish national team scouts had done so.

It is somewhat ironic though that Jenkinson may end up at the very Club for which Parky is a scout. Maybe if Parky ventures to Scotland he may find the solution to Arsenal's keeping issues too ;-)