Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hearts fan attacks Neil Lennon

2»

Comments

• And they want to come and "play" in the English leagues and then complain that no one wants them.......I wonder why!??
  • Poor old DFT can't help himself, can he?

He opens up by saying he "can't condone" the attack on Lennon and how it is "unacceptable" and then goes on to tell us in exuberant detail of all the reasons why he hates Lennon so much and why he really, in actual, fact deserved being attacked.

There are some real crocodile tears on this thread, that's for sure.

• @grumpyaddick spot on! It's like saying, "Yes, it's fine to have freedom of speech, say what you like. However we will be responding to that with violence!"

As usual pathetic stuff north of the border

• You do realise you have the Serbian 3 finger sign as an avatar? Try doing that in Croatia and see what happens.
  • Poor old DFT can't help himself, can he?

He opens up by saying he "can't condone" the attack on Lennon and how it is "unacceptable" and then goes on to tell us in exuberant detail of all the reasons why he hates Lennon so much and why he really, in actual, fact deserved being attacked.

There are some real crocodile tears on this thread, that's for sure.

Don't get snappy about it

• edited May 2011

Ive been living in the west of Scotland for nearly 20 years.The sectarian problem was far,far worse when I moved north.Both Rangers and Celtic along with the community have worked very hard to improve the situation.Walter Smith and the late Tommy Burns in particular  made great strives to help[ the situation.There will always be some idiots who are still in the dark ages.In my own life I noticed that it was safer in the pub on an old firm day.Now its back to keeping a low profile.

Then unfortunately Celtic get an idiot chairman and Lennon.Between them they have almost turned it in to a race issue and destroyed much of the good work previous Celtic managers have done to distance themselves from the N Ireland situation.Celtic fans seem to get away with singing IRA bile at matches (no football content at all in the songs) and Rangers get done for their sectarian songs.As they say for every action there is a reaction and idiots on both sides who have been looking for an excuse to get stuck in now have one. 

The politicians have joined in and made their usual arse of it.

So a Hearts fan has a pop at him.Is that sectarian? Or is some one having one having a pop because the man is pond life? He should not have been attacked full stop and the culprit should be prosecuted.Also Lennon should be reigned in before he causes any more bother.

• Good post there richie... indeed Celtic were singing oh ah up the RA crystal clear in the first minute last night. It's time to act on sectarianism ACROSS THE BOARD and not pretend it only emanates from one place in Scotland.

@Red_in_SE8 who has ranted in a sectarian fashion on this page? It's a debate and clearly a much much wider issue than merely one individual managing to storm the pitch and making a disgrace of himself.
  • FOD, I'm not in Croatia.

Can someone explain exactly what Lennon has done/said to incite such hatred? I'm not looking to argue I'm just a little ignorant towards Scottish football

• In my view anyone in the game who incites opposing fans for any reason should be sanctioned by the governing body, and punished accordingly, doesn't excuse this muppet however
  • edited May 2011
    One thing that should be added... Neil Lennon has progressed this situation from being a sectarian situation, it is no longer a question of religion or identity. This season he has brought the Scottish game into disrepute and is now vilified almost as much for his actions related to football as for any features of his identity.  He has single-handedly manipulated the media to cause a referee strike this season - can you imagine the attention it would create if Sir Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger did that?! He has been banned for something like 10 games from the touchline this season for persistent misconduct during games and in media interviews. He has courted the limelight by walking across the Ibrox pitch as he did and in numerous other incidents of making gestures to different sets of fans across the country.

No he should not be attacked or threatened whether based on his ideology or his actions. That is completely unacceptable and last night was a disgrace on a few counts. However, he has put himself in the firing line through far more than sectarian actions. The police and his family must be tearing their hair out at his ambivalence. He went to police meetings and other meetings about how the situation had developed after the bomb threats were uncovered. 5 days later he was keeping a low profile by walking across the Ibrox pitch punching his fist and mocking the crowd. He has not made the transition from player to manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's like Bin Laden blowing up the Twin Towers really isnt it
  • edited May 2011

be honset he wasnt attacked last night he was fell upon

• edited May 2011

Scratching my head re: some of comments above.  I know Lennon was a pretty hard player and attracted some criticsim during his career.  There have been many like him.  Lets face it though, we would have all enjoyed him playing for Charlton.  That's his personality and it's carried on into management and predates his involvement with Celtic.  That said we have had many managers in England who have conducted themselves in a similar fashion to Lennon.  Mourinio/Fergy/Wenger/hughes etc have all engaged in similar actions - media outbursts about opposition sides not trying/gestures at crowd, comments to opposition players and coaching staff/pizza chucking/pitch side posturing etc yet they don't seem to have faced any personal security issues. 

Obviously this is down to the sectarian divide, which I don't begin to understand fully (and I know that most of us on here are in similar position) but this has existed for years anyway and doesn't seem to have caused this type of full on madness before. (death threats/boms/attacks etc).

I don't know Lennon (did read his autoboigraphy on a flight home from London once - not the greatest book but certainly interesting insights place it slightly higher than most sport bios), but he doesn't come across as somebody that is bigoted in his views.  Ulster Catholic, captaining N. Ireland, trials at Rangers etc.  Nothing to suggest a hard line republican there. 

So I guess my question is why Neil Lennon?  What is it about him that attracts this unwanted attention? His actions, if transplanted south of the border, would attract little attention.  The sectarian tension in the community appears to be a lot less heated than in previous decades.  I just don't get it?  Was playing for Celtic and captaining N Ireland the issue?

• What do you call a thread that has been sunk on the quiet?

A SOTQ?

• A stealth sinking?
  • What I'm saying se9addick is - if myself and my family were recieving threats of violence and worse I'd keep a very low profile!
  • Not all Celtic managers are or were hated by the other half of Glasgow-- take Jock Stein--- admired all over the UK. 

Rumour has it at the 2mins silence for the dead re Ibrox Lennon went "missing" appearing after the silence was over. Does that mean he should get death threats or letter bombs ? no, but why do it ? Why refuse point blank to wear a poppy  re our war dead ? yes its a free coutry but why say/do it? Why walk over the pitch at Ibrox giving it large ? because he could -- but why ?---------------- mans a huge lump of kak of the first order,

He has little class and as said above hasnt made the jump from player to manager.

• Bermuda_red said: So I guess my question is why Neil Lennon? What is it about him that attracts this unwanted attention?

It's cos he's ginger :-)
  • I agree - Lennon is a fucking idiot. I couldnt give a toss about Scottish football, or all the religious or political bollocks that goes hand-in-hand with the old firm. I do, however, know a wind-up merchant when I see one - and Lennon is - of the highest order. Diouf is just a big a c*** though - give him a couple of years up there and he'll create as much stupidness as Lennon does.
  • Still really annoyed that the fella didnt at least give the scum bag a proper clump!! Nicked and will no doubt do bird, and for what not even a slap!! 

• Sponsored links:

• what you wanted the man to be hit from behind in that cowardly fashion?
  • Yeah Nolls, its only because i hate ginger people! They are scum.
  • fair enough i guess lol
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebrjKfJ9f9M&feature=share

Attacking Police and chnats of IRA

Dont you just love them

• Nolly, what about Lennon giving the guy a few kicks when he was on the floor and defenceless? Now that's cowardly!

54!