Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Midfielder Bradley Pritchard signs from Hayes & Yeading

Comments

• Options

how many of those 28 league games did he actually start ?     

I don't know the answer myself but I'd be surprised if it was anymore than 5 or 6.  I can only recall 1 (away at Brentford - where he started upfront with Sodje as was far the better of the two )  and he never got a run of 5 or 6 games, unlike most of our other strikers.

• Options
    In time, Bradley Pritchard could be our first Zimbabwe international.

Is that right, Henry?
  • Options
    Hayes and Yeading fans seem gutted hes gone, their best player last season. Trying to be positive! 
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hayes and Yeading fans seem gutted hes gone, their best player last season. Trying to be positive! 
    He is probably earning about as much per week as Youga for example has earned every half-day under his current contract.

0 risk, over to you Bradley.
  • Options
    Nice long interview on the O/S http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2366655,00.html

Sounds like a nice guy, intelligent, level-headed and certainly said all the right things. 
  • Options
    Nice long interview on the O/S http://www.cafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10267~2366655,00.html

Sounds like a nice guy, intelligent, level-headed . 

Obviously, he's from Bromley!
  • Options
    no, he is from Zimbabwe, but resides in Bromley where there is an abundance of social housing. Now he'll be able to afford to move somewhere more upmarket, like Kidbrooke ;-)
  • Options

how many of those 28 league games did he actually start ?     

I don't know the answer myself but I'd be surprised if it was anymore than 5 or 6.  I can only recall 1 (away at Brentford - where he started upfront with Sodje as was far the better of the two )  and he never got a run of 5 or 6 games, unlike most of our other strikers.

He never had a run of games because he wasn't a very good footballer. Substitute appearances are still appearances. Even if he only started a handful of games, you'd expect him to come close to scoring. Fact of the matter is he didn't. He had a poor first touch and shocking decision making. Benson and Akpo are limited, but they at least both score(d) occasionally.

Really hoping BP can make the step up. Encouraging that it sounds like he was at least Hayes & Yeading's best player, rather than some complete random. And getting him in on trial before signing him was a lot more sensible than just gambling £250k (Fleetwood).
  • Options
    no, he is from Zimbabwe, but resides in Bromley where there is an abundance of social housing. Now he'll be able to afford to move somewhere more upmarket, like Kidbrooke ;-)
    Grew up in Bromley, which is what counts, and still lives there. Went to a fee paying school as well so I doubt he'll feel the need to move into social housing whatever that is.

: - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pritchard lives in Bromley? I cant find him on my system :suspicious:
  • Options
    I like the fact that he is a graduate - I'm not being elitist, I just think it makes a refreshing change. These kind of players are worth a punt. If he has shown something during his trial then it makes it less of a punt and more of a canny move by CP.
  • Options
    What's his middle name ? I hope it's William. I know it doesn't trip off the Tongue but " we've got two BWP's would be a good song.
  • Options
    I like the fact that he is a graduate - I'm not being elitist, I just think it makes a refreshing change. These kind of players are worth a punt. If he has shown something during his trial then it makes it less of a punt and more of a canny move by CP.

I agree.

He will hopefully be intelligent enough to realise this is his one big chance and really go for it rather than live the off pitch "footballer lifestyle"

• Options
    Might be wishfull thinking Len. You can take the boy out of Bromley but you can't take Bromley out of the boy.

Sad but true ;0)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    We had players like Dickson and Sinclair on trial before signing them as well. I don't think it means much at all, though of course it helps the club learn a bit more about the player before signing them.
  • Options
    Then there was Ireland international Steve Heighway at Liverpool.

From the Liverpool OS:

"Heighway often took the "highway" up the right wing, riding tackles,
    showing perfect ball-control at breakneck speed, delivering great
    passes. He was one of the greatest entertainers who has ever graced the
    Liverpool shirt. Dublin-born Heighway was spotted playing for non-league
    Skelmersdale United
    and signed for Liverpool in May 1970 when he was 22
    years old. Like his team-mate Brian Hall, Heighway was a University
    graduate, with a degree in Economics,
    and therefore had a very different
    background to most professional sportsmen of the time.
    "
  • Options

We had players like Dickson and Sinclair on trial before signing them as well. I don't think it means much at all, though of course it helps the club learn a bit more about the player before signing them.

The jump from conference to league 1 is less than Ryman South to Championship or whatever it was for Dickson. Sinclair was a flop but, in fairness to him, he did suffer a serious longterm injury which probably scuppered any real chance of development with us.
  • Options

I agree.

He will hopefully be intelligent enough to realise this is his one big chance and really go for it rather than live the off pitch "footballer lifestyle"

For some reason you both seemed to have confused being a "graduate" with intelligence. Strange leap to make that.
  • Options

I agree.

For some reason you both seemed to have confused being a "graduate" with intelligence. Strange leap to make that.

I said "hopefully be intelligent." A graduate is not necessarily intelligent but displays a certain level of application to achieve the qualification.

Application is a good quality for a third division footballer.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I like the fact that he is a graduate - I'm not being elitist, I just think it makes a refreshing change. These kind of players are worth a punt. If he has shown something during his trial then it makes it less of a punt and more of a canny move by CP.

The jump from conference to league 1 is less than Ryman South to Championship or whatever it was for Dickson. Sinclair was a flop but, in fairness to him, he did suffer a serious longterm injury which probably scuppered any real chance of development with us.

True, was really just saying I don't think having the player on trial first makes it less of a gamble.
  • Options
    Don't quote me on this but I think the only reserve league now is the Premiership reserve league. Teams outside the Premiership have to arrange friendlies or not run a reserve team at all.

Sorry, I've quoted you on this. The Football Combination still exists and I'm sure we could play a reserve team in it (Central Division with Brighton, Orient, Brentford, Wycombe, West Ham, Gills, Aldershot and Crawley) if we wanted to.
  • Options
    Something was said recently by the club, to the effect that the Football Combination wasn't challenging enough for our reserves ........ie the standard was not high enough.
  • Options
    Don't quote me on this but I think the only reserve league now is the Premiership reserve league. Teams outside the Premiership have to arrange friendlies or not run a reserve team at all.

Sorry, I've quoted you on this. The Football Combination still exists and I'm sure we could play a reserve team in it (Central Division with Brighton, Orient, Brentford, Wycombe, West Ham, Gills, Aldershot and Crawley) if we wanted to.

I stand corrected.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Something was said recently by the club, to the effect that the Football Combination wasn't challenging enough for our reserves ........ie the standard was not high enough.
    Looking at the teams in it, it does look fairly weak. I've included West Ham in the list, but I wonder if they'll bother joining it (a side effect of them being relegated from the PL is their reserves get relegated from the PL Reserve League too).
  • Options
    I have seen him play! I went to the last game at Church Road ( h&y) and he  scored the first goal. My Dad said the "the winger on the right looks a decent player" he then scored! had a great first half caused all sorts of probs. So lets see how he goes.
  • Options
    I have seen him play! I went to the last game at Church Road ( h&y) and he  scored the first goal. My Dad said the "the winger on the right looks a decent player" he then scored! had a great first half caused all sorts of probs. So lets see how he goes.

Please Chappers don't say anything else, it's far easier for to just write him off from the start and just say he's useless! ;0)
  • Options
    If we have a bargain great, but the world is full of people who talk a good game of football!
    What is  with signing people with sports degrees!.
    Yes I know  all about Loughborough, and it's reputation. My nephew went there and did a sports science degree he is now a teacher!
    I find it amazing that Charlton have the pick of young talent virtually  in  Kent, and connections in SE London and we are  fishing in these waters!.
    Surely we need  players that are league hardened, not lads to be loaned out! I thought with Cousins and such like we had some decent lads coming through!
    I am all for supporting young players, and feeding them into the team, but from our own academy!. 
    What is wrong with some of the younger players like Parkinson at  Welling!.
    Made our players look pretty standard pre season!.
    Not the way I would be building up connections with local clubs!. 
    Maidstone produced Chris Smalling for Man Utd for one so I do not buy that there are lads out there ! at out level......
  • Options
    A bargains a bargains a bargain in my book. Not interested in where we get players the management team think are worth a try. Man Utd to use Kens quote obviously cast far and wide. We need to do the same.
  • Options
    I don't know if it's already been mentioned but if memory serves me correct D J Campbell was signed from Hayes and yeading and he has managed to make the step up