Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you wish you supported a Premier League club?

edited May 2011 in General Charlton
I just asked my son that question. He said, "Yeah ............... Charlton"

He's 8 in a couple of weeks time. That's my boy!

Comments

• Options
    those were the days ...................................
  • Options
    Good on him
    My poor son missed our Prem years through being too young and then playing 7 a side on Saturdays. As soon as he moved to 11 a side on Sundays we get relegated to Champ so his 1st 4 yrs with a season ticket have been the worst in living memory still wanted to come next season let's hope he finally gets a season to remember for the right reasons
  • Options
    those were the days ...................................
    Well, we all know you do oohahh!
    ;o)
  • Options
    I support a team, not a division.

Do I want to see my team in the top division? Hell yes. I have seen them there on 3 separate occasions and I WILL see them there again.
  • Options
    NO
  • Options
    No but i do often wish i was born in Barcelona.
  • Options
    no disrespect but is anybody actually going to say yes? Alright, yes, i wanted a ticket for QPR but seeing as there so expensive or what about, no, i'm glad Charlton are in league 1... any other options? 
  • Options
    no disrespect but is anybody actually going to say yes? Alright, yes, i wanted a ticket for QPR but seeing as there so expensive or what about, no, i'm glad Charlton are in league 1... any other options? 
    Don't be a twat you whole life mate - he's only bloody 7. 
  • Options

A West Ham friend of mine said on Saturday, 'Actually, I'm quite glad we're going down. A season or two in the Championship should be quite enjoyable.'

I remember saying roughly the same thing, and sure enough it was only a couple of seasons.

• Options

i thought you were opening the question out to the forum - that's how the majority have interpreted it - you need to improve your communication skills would be my advice 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Right you two, let's all just calm down. We've had a lovely evening - don't go spoiling it.
  • Options
    I would rather like my club to be a prem club (again).
  • Options

i thought you were opening the question out to the forum - that's how the majority have interpreted it - you need to improve your communication skills would be my advice 

OK, noted. And thank you.
  • Options
    I support a team, not a division.

Do I want to see my team in the top division? Hell yes. I have seen them there on 3 separate occasions and I WILL see them there again.
    Blimey Henry, I thought you attended more games than that. ;-)
  • Options
    You've raised him well!
  • Options
    Nah, plastic me : - )

86 - 90, 98/9, 2000 - 07, 2013 - ??
  • Options
    Nah, plastic me : - )

86 - 90, 98/9, 2000 - 07, 2013 - ??
    Oh, I see. When you said three separate occasions I counted the last two periods as one and imagined your third period to be in the 50s.
  • Options
    i thought he meant 3 matches.....;-)
  • Options
    Naturally, like everyone here, YES I wish Charlton were in the Premier League.
    Would I support another team in Premier League if we were to cease to exist for example?
    I would find it hard but if I were to, it would not be any of the supposed Big 4 (Man Utd, Arsenal,
    Chelsea or Liverpool). I like supporting a team like Charlton because winning actually means something,
    winning trophies actually means something. I asked a workmate (Man Utd supporter) once would he
    consider it a failure if his team came 4th. Naturally he said yes. I was then thinking "what if Charlton were
    to come 4th in the Premier League". I am sure, being English and the way some people are, there would be
    still sporadic complaints but 99% I imagine would be partying for the next 6 months. It means something to
    support a team like Charlton (or a not so rich club) instead of just being a member of the bandwagon society!
  • Options
    Nordic, you have just summed up what it's like to be a Charlton fan and would I swap that? No.

I was reading comments from Arsenal fans the other day that were incensed that their team had only finished 4th, that it was a disaster for the club. At the same time you saw the joy on the faces of the Wolves fans after they lost but stayed uo bythe skin of their teeth.

It's all about expectation. Do I expect promotion next year? No. So it's a bonus if it happens. And that is much better in my book that expecting to win the league year after year and being disappointed at finishing second. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A West Ham friend of mine said on Saturday, 'Actually, I'm quite glad we're going down. A season or two in the Championship should be quite enjoyable.'

I remember saying roughly the same thing, and sure enough it was only a couple of seasons.

You weren't on your own saying that , there were quite a few rose tinted /away day trippers who thought/ hoped it would be a good thing
    Clown shoes
  • Options
    I did and it came to nothing, now look where I am.  3 tier.
  • Options
    We do ........  we r just in wrong div @ mom .....just wish that the "real" fans get treated fairly when we get back......unlike qpr......coyr.
  • Options
    I would like to support a more successful team. So i could travel round Europe and have an excuse to go to a bunch of cool cities without the wife!! Lads footy weekends away would be awsome. And get a chance to see my team play in the San Siro, Bernabau etc... That what i would really love! However i have been drawn in by CAFC so instead of Rome its Rochdale. Well this year anyway... hopfully one year the dream will come true!
  • Options

When I look back at our last run in the Premiership I have nothing but happy memories until Curbs left. The ground was always full, making for a great atmosphere. The win at Highbury, that equaliser against Man Utd after Ferguson thought he had it won at 3-1 and took off Beckham and Keane, Di Canio and that 4-2 thrashing of Chelsea, ooh the joy.

Like all true supporters I could never change my allegiance to this Club, and so with new owners and a new squad we should all get behind the lads next season and reach for the stars again. COYR.` 

• Options

My son would say "yes"..obvious reasons I think.

I'd be happy with Championship at the mo.

• Options
    Id Love us in the Prem, I think the stability we got was, looking back, wonderfully realised by a manger that was top of his game. West Ham with considerably more money lasted 6 relegation hit yrs and finally fell this year, 7 yrs for us was a massive achievement.

BUT to be honest I just want a proper competitive side, I thoroughly enjoyed the Play off season 2 seasons back and parts of last season, its the winning and the goals I love, I have tried to trick my mind and like other teams but its simply doesn't work, Its Charlton and thats it ...

Although to be honest I probably enjoy playing PES as Charlton more than the real life counterparts at the moment...
  • Options

You weren't on your own saying that , there were quite a few rose tinted /away day trippers who thought/ hoped it would be a good thing Clown shoes
    A West Ham fan said that to me on Monday, it's a slippery slope.
  • Options

Yes.  I thought maybe Arsenal, then I don't have to buy a new shirt, I can just use a felt tip pen to alter the sword to a cannon or whatever it is and hey presto!

Come on you, er, whatsits, play up!

• Options
    I sometimes think how nice it would be to phone 606 and say the manager should be sacked because we are only 3rd in the Prem or see more than 15 seconds at 1 in the morning (if I've managed to stay awake) of my team on the telly but otherwise no.