Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Good, even if he doesn't play a lot he's a guy you need around the place, a bit like Semedo. They are motivators and proper professionals.

Glad Yassin isn't coming back in a way, though he would probably be a class above what we have he hasn't played football for a long time now and if the rumours were true he's not the type of person you want around.

As for Le Fondre, yes he's good but he hasn't ever made that step up, McLeod springs to mind (admittedly that was a larger step up) and I feel he wouldn't work well with BWP anyway, and one of them sitting on the bench all the time wouldn't work, look at Defoe, Keane and Bent when they were all at Spurs, Drobga, Kalou, Torres and Anelka at Chelsea and Berbatov, Hernandez, Owen and Rooney at Man United, it's a waste of talent and a waste of resources
  • Options
    As 1st choice centre back? If Doherty is staying then I fear for our defence already next season, it's too slow.
  • Options

Another goal scorer wouldnt be a bad thing, with BWP dodgy knees who knows how much of the season he will last.

• Options
    Agreed chris. Aren't BWP and Benson the only senior forwards we've got at the moment?
  • Options

I wanted Charlton to get rid of Daily simple.

And Adam Le Fondre sure he scores alot of goals in League Two but sure charlton cannot pay the money Rotherham will be asking.

Unless Fondre asks for a transfer to charlton???

• Options

I just hope we get two more centre halves!!

:)

• Options
    Not unhappy if Dailly signs a new deal. He still has something to offer. Would be unhappy if he is our first choice centre back though.
  • Options
    Good but probably only as part of the squad, have him earn his place rather than be the first choice and captain.

Good news on Yassin as well, not what we need. We spent a year and a half trying to get rid of him, he's had a year out of football, no reason to give him another chance. Great athlete but not a great player, had a lot of areas he needed to work on but seems he didn't have the attitude to do that.
  • Options
    i wouldn't mind if daily was first choice, i still think if we kept sam sodje, somebody who was quick to cover daily and still able to win a header. bring back the sodje!
  • Options
    Doubt you'll find many people who dislike Sodje as a person but his knees are gone now and a red card is always nearby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Dailly got enough red cards last season without the need for Sam Sodje to come back. We'd never finish a game with 2 centre backs.
  • Options
    He should be signed as a coach/mentor as much as a player. He is beginning to look a little slow and slight for the 1st division, great trier, tactician and leader that he may be. We need a brick outhose cenre back to play alongside Doherty for next season, that is the biggest priority for Chris Powell. 
  • Options

I like Dailly, but i would much rather look at a long term solution.  He is very good to have around the place, but at his age is he going to be happy being a squad player?

If Dailly and Doherty are our 2 main CB's for next season i agree with others in that i am already very nervous about our defence for next season.  Our defence was our main weakness last season, so why stick with it?

• Options
    I hope we keep Dailly.
  • Options

He should be signed as a coach/mentor as much as a player. He is beginning to look a little slow and slight for the 1st division, great trier, tactician and leader that he may be. We need a brick outhose cenre back to play alongside Doherty for next season, that is the biggest priority for Chris Powell. 
    I dont want Doherty to be first team next season - too slow and makes way too many mistakes. Both of them as back up for me and bring in 2 new centre backs.
  • Options
    Dailly is a qualified athletics coach and should be re-signed more for his coaching and mentoring potential than his playing ability .Last season he looked outpaced and outmuscled at times by big, young strikers, Three red cards (athough the Oldham one was harsh) is testament. We need a big outhouse centre half to play alongside Doherty. This is the main priority for Colin Powell this close season. I have been advocating signing le Fondre for the past four years. I think the horse has now bolted. Last season end he was on the bench at Rotherham who again failed to last the promotion course. Methinks he may have lost that vital yard of pace and been sussed out by canny defenders. However, if the price is right he may be worth a punt.He strikes me as a player who is great in a winning team and a bit of a liability in a team which is not doing do well. And as we will be right up there next season .......
  • Options
    sorry about the repeat!!, windows 'told' me the message had failed to be posted.
  • Options
    If I click the write comment button, the page extends downwards forever and it becomes unusable :)
  • Options
    I cannot understand why anybody would want to have Doherty in the first team.
  • Options
    i wouldn't mind. his own goals are always amusing if we end up winning the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Daily is happy to stay as a squad player then thats fine he is too old now we have to freshen it up in defence. Maybe there is a coaching role for Daily in the future who knows.
  • Options
    Powell said:
    “I feel he is a leader of men, he is a good character and I would like him to agree to stay."

So that tells you why Powell wants him.
  • Options

Curbs always had 4 CB so maybe Powell is thinking a long those lines.  I certainly hope so because Doherty is an accident waiting to happen and Daily although in my opinion the better of the 2 didn't help our cause with 3 reds.

Time for new blood at the back aerial power with mobility.  

• Options

Quote  - Last season he looked outpaced and outmuscled at times by big, young strikers, Three red cards (athough the Oldham one was harsh) is testament

First red card was for 2 bookings - and the second booking was for handball
    Second red was a travesty - clash of heads and no more
    Third red was an out of character retaliation following an appalling high foul challenge

Don't see how these 3 red cards are testament to hime being out muscled although I do think he would be far better suited playing alongside a big strong commanding centre back.  He may be old but he is not as slow as many other centre halves much younger than him eg Doherty

• Options
    As others have said- it is very good news if he is being viewed as a squad member but to move forwards I see him more as very useful cover. I think the idea first choice pairing for next season would be Doc and a pacy partner.
  • Options
    I though Dailly only wants first team football and isn't interested in coaching etc just yet, which means if we are signing him to a new deal he'll be 1st choice, which is worrying for me.
  • Options

The onus wil be on him to play well enough to play first team football - which is the best situation for the club.

• Options
    doubt he'll be first choice as CP said at Bromley he wouldn't be team captain which he would be if he was to be a regular. Ok as a squad player.
  • Options
    We Are Lacking Pace At The Back,.. The Defence Was Are Weakness Last Season, Time Fresh Legs In My Opinion
  • Options

We seem to be signing/ looking at midfielders when the priority should be a good two or three defenders. We need pace at the back with some aerial presence. We also need a left and right back that can press forward as Chris Powell did so well as a player at all the clubs he played for. We had no real threat from any of our wide defenders last year and they didnt seem able to link up/ overlap with the midfield with any real purpose.