Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton boss keen to get Dailly deal done

2»

Comments

• Options

We seem to be signing/ looking at midfielders when the priority should be a good two or three defenders. We need pace at the back with some aerial presence. We also need a left and right back that can press forward as Chris Powell did so well as a player at all the clubs he played for. We had no real threat from any of our wide defenders last year and they didnt seem able to link up/ overlap with the midfield with any real purpose.

Llera's likely to be released, Fortune's injured and out of contract, Dailly might stay, that only leaves Doherty and a few youngsters. Who we are linked with means nothing, and I don't there can be a priority when we're going to need so many new signings. I think we can be confident Powell will sign at least a couple of centre backs.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    have found someone quicker than Dailly who is out of contract

• Options
    Dunno if he'd make the step up but Jack Parkinson at welling might be worth a punt... turned down a league 2 club to stay local so he could carry on running his coaching school, bit of pace aswell
  • Options
    Good, even if he doesn't play a lot he's a guy you need around the place, a bit like Semedo. They are motivators and proper professionals.

Glad Yassin isn't coming back in a way, though he would probably be a class above what we have he hasn't played football for a long time now and if the rumours were true he's not the type of person you want around.

As for Le Fondre, yes he's good but he hasn't ever made that step up, McLeod springs to mind (admittedly that was a larger step up) and I feel he wouldn't work well with BWP anyway, and one of them sitting on the bench all the time wouldn't work, look at Defoe, Keane and Bent when they were all at Spurs, Drobga, Kalou, Torres and Anelka at Chelsea and Berbatov, Hernandez, Owen and Rooney at Man United, it's a waste of talent and a waste of resources

Agree with most of this. We need to beef up the ranks in attack (both in mubers and physical size) but what I've seen of Le Fondre leads me to think he's not all that good really. I also want to keep Dailly but probably as a reserve, we need a couple more centre backs either to partner each other or maybe one to play alongside Doc and another offer competition.

As for Moo2, releaved he's not coming back - bad egg and one of the most overated players by our fans that I can remember. Better technique than Francis but no better at defending and worse at crossing.

• Options
    Dunno if he'd make the step up but Jack Parkinson at welling might be worth a punt... turned down a league 2 club to stay local so he could carry on running his coaching school, bit of pace aswell
    Glad that there are two of us who like the lad on here I suggested him  a few days ago...... his younger brother was at Charlton in the academy a bout 5 years ago, one of my sons played with Jack in the Kent league for Cray and was as good as anybody at that age under16, seeing there was Chris Smalling at Maidstone who beat us in  the kent cup in extra time I am surprissed that he has not gone further. Obviously I am biased as I know the lad and his father,   He played against Charlton last season at Welling in pre season so perhaps they have discounted him already!...........
  • Options
    Glad that there are two of us who like the lad on here I suggested him  a few days ago...... his younger brother was at Charlton in the academy a bout 5 years ago, one of my sons played with Jack in the Kent league for Cray and was as good as anybody at that age under16, seeing there was Chris Smalling at Maidstone who beat us in  the kent cup in extra time I am surprissed that he has not gone further. Obviously I am biased as I know the lad and his father,   He played against Charlton last season at Welling in pre season so perhaps they have discounted him already!...........
    Same with me mate, I know Jack
  • Options
    Parkinson's re-signed with Welling, funnily enough I recommended him to my newbestmate Martin Allen.
  • Options
    Yes I saw he signed a couple of weeks ago, although I am sure a few quid in Wellings coffers could ease the transistion!
    As Welling have had to just settle there HM revenue bill I am sure that the owner who is a decent sort would not step in the lads way.
    Albeit when he played against Charlton, in the friendly  he  did well for a young player!. Pity I could not say the same for some of the Charlton  players Waggy excluded!.

• Options
    Am i the only person who thinks daily is ten times better than Doherty? He is much clumsier, much more of a liability and also think he's slower...
  • Options
    Dailly is better than Doherty that is/was never the problem. The issue is they are both slow. I can't say Doherty is old because he is younger than me.  Maybe if Dailly played next too a younger faster version of himself we'd be fine.  Although next to a younger faster Dailly, Doherty would be fine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Find Out Hard To Believe Docherty Was A Striker A Few Years Back For Spurs..
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Am i the only person who thinks daily is ten times better than Doherty? He is much clumsier, much more of a liability and also think he's slower...

Dailly is better technically, but Doc is stronger in the air. They're different kinds of players - Dailly looked good last year sweeping up next to Sodje who went and attacked the first ball, but had recovery pace to get back and help Dailly if he didn't win the first ball. Doc is a perfectly respectable first ball centre back and he get's his head on a lot of stuff that comes into the box but he doesn't have the pace to help Dailly out if he gets exposed.

As Madz says, if either one of them were a bit quicker they'd probably be a good pairing. My personal opinion is that, as age is slightly more on Doc's side and he was a linch pin of Norwich's all conquering League 1 team, we should be primarily be looking for a partner who will bring the best out in Doc, but we also need a player who Dailly could play with if needed. I think we need 4 cemtre backs in the squad and they all need to complement each other in one way or another (and I don't mean by saying they like each others boots or how they do their hair).

Neither Dailly or Doc are completely useless it's just the balance of our back 4 was all wrong last season and that exagerated their weaknesses.

I should also add our fullbacks could stand to be a bit quicker and a bit more aware of helping cover a centre back who comes out of the line to attack the ball too.

• Options
    Doc stays, Dailly stays, Francis stays, McOxo stays, Racon stays, Semedo stays. Another season of misery ahead then.
  • Options
    Doherty cost us untold goals.
  • Options

I have to disagree.............out of the ones you've mentioned I'd love to keep Semedo. Racon & Dailly - but the others can leave.

If we got rid of all the above we would need to bring in about a dozen new players & with that many new faces Chris Powell would need at lesat a season to get them to gel as a team..............some of our recent problems have come about because we can't get a settled squad and since relegation from the Premiership we have had more players than I care to mention.  

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Large stays.  Another season of moaning ahead then?

;o)

• Options

Latest from our old friend Rich Cawley on Twitter

Also been told that #cafc contract talks with Christian Dailly have stopped - at least for the time being.

It's not dead but both sides are thinking about their positions" was the comment made to me regarding Dailly
  • Options
    Hoping that the reasons the contract talks have stopped is because the transfer line that Rich Cawley cannot talk about until tomorrow is a CB being lined up.
  • Options
    Bit controversial but I'd let Dailly go and keep Doherty and bring in a few younger pacy centre backs to either partner him or keep Doherty as back up. Doherty hasn't turned from a key member of the side which walked the league to useless in 12 months, I also don't think he was as bad as some made out last season (although I think most of his mistakes came in away games)

Dailly has made it known he wants first team football and won't be happy with anything else at the moment. Dailly this season looked a little less sharp, less assured and also got sent off 3 times. I think he can still do a job as a squad player but I think age is catching up with him and as a 1st choice centre back I don't think will be good enough for promotion.
  • Options
    Doc is staying anyway as he has another year on his contract.

We badly need two new centre halves with pace and power and have done so for at least a season.  If we get them them Doc and Dailly are adequate back up from the bench or in case of short term injury/suspension.

Not reading anything into "talks have stopped".  Offers have more than likely been made and both sides are considering their options.  Eventually one side or both will move or Dailly won't re-sign.  So it goes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doc and Dailly are perfectly capable if we need to get an old head on to protect a lead. However, I'd worry if they were the mainstay of our centre back pairings next season. Doc certainly nowhere near as bad as some made him out to be last season, and was vastly superior to Jon Fortune.
  • Options
    Doherty's legs seem to have gone. He can't run or kick a ball more than 20 yards and usually to an opposition player.

Frequently the cause of Dailly having to make a rash tackle.
  • Options
    The Doc can do a job, but as others have said he needs the right partner to sweep up any of his mistakes or mis-headers, yes we'd all love a big cb who never makes mistakes but that's just not gonna happen.
  • Options
    Doherty was the second on my hopefully get shot of list, behind McOxo.

• Options
    I lost all faith in Doherty after the Exeter game.
  • Options
    Out of the lot (Fortune, Dailly, Doherty, Llera, Mambo) Llera was the one I would want to keep the most. If he had a pacy centre back next to him it would be great, he's an aerial threat, a good distributor and can take a mean free kick too. Sure he made mistakes but Doherty makes more, and I don't recall many major mistakes in the last 10 games that he played in?
  • Options
    Out of the lot (Fortune, Dailly, Doherty, Llera, Mambo) Llera was the one I would want to keep the most. If he had a pacy centre back next to him it would be great, he's an aerial threat, a good distributor and can take a mean free kick too. Sure he made mistakes but Doherty makes more, and I don't recall many major mistakes in the last 10 games that he played in?

This