Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Phillips released by Birmingham

Chrissy Powell, get on the phone!!! He maybe 37, but could still cut it in the top flight last year, league one would be a doddle surely?! And he has a good fitness record.

Comments

• Options
    Will surely be picked up by a Championship club.
  • Options
    Get him!
  • Options
    Wasn't Curbs always a big fan of his?
  • Options
    With fee to pay to another club surely that means we could be a bit more generous with his contract? BWP and KP up front sounds brilliant! But Drawnablank is probably right and he'll sign for Barnsley!
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a Cardiff/Leeds pick him up, his goals even at his age and coming off the bench could be the different between promotion or not.
  • Options
    I always thought Curbs missed a trick by not signing him when he left Sunderland. I think he would have been fantastic for us at the time but I'm not so sure about now.
  • Options
    no thanks, not even if we could afford him, we don't need another finisher, we've already got two strikers who can't do a huge amount outside the box and will be there for tap ins. not for me.
  • Options
    I'd sign him without hesitation.
  • Options
    no thanks, not even if we could afford him, we don't need another finisher, we've already got two strikers who can't do a huge amount outside the box and will be there for tap ins. not for me.

What squad doesn't need more than 2 strikers who can actually score?!

• Options
    edited May 2011
    This conversation all seems a bit futile to me when you think about it in reality. He's just come off a premier league salary, obviously he's likely to have to take a pay cut but he won't take one as vast as it would take to make him affordable to us, as indicated above a championship outfit who can afford to throw 8 or 9 grand a week at him will surely get him. And as much as I think he could be very handy for us, I would be a bit alarmed if we started blowing hefty wages on such a short-term investment / gamble. We need to spread what little money we do have around on building a team for the medium term. As Slater said, "a team not just to win promotion from league one, but that can compete in the championship".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its a No from me, not enough bit n bollox for this division.
  • Options
    @JT obviously all strikers need to be able to score but 3 poacher type players and not any other especially when at this moment were lacking creativity so having 3 poachers with nobody to make the chances!
  • Options
    He's just too good for us.
  • Options
    As above, he'll walk into a championship team and minimum £10k a week
  • Options

My brother is on holiday with ridgewell at the moment. Maybe ridgewell can tell him what a great club we are & how dropping a big percentage of wages by joining us will pay off with the satisfaction of getting us promoted.

Or maybe he will just walk into a championship side on better wages :D

• Options
    I would have thought he will be looking for a 12-month contract on the highest wages he can get, without moving away from his family home, which is probably in the Midlands. Otherwise its a job in the media, which he has already started on a part-time basis.
  • Options
    I don't think Phillips & BWP would be a good partnership.  
  • Options
    Otherwise its a job in the media, which he has already started on a part-time basis.
    I am desperate for anyone to sign him for this very reason. 
  • Options

Maybe a little too similar in style I agree but not a bad sub to bring on after an hour if it's not working for BWP though.

Dream on anyway guys, I think he'll be elsewhere next year, possibly the Hammers.

• Options
    37 might be pushing it a bit. He could have a year with us but would he really be that bothered about playing in league 1. Can imagine someone like him would want to end their career on a high or just retire. Good player but I think 'past it' by our standard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A great player who would be awesome for us. His experience will do BWP and Benno a world of good. But Powell will no doubt have to fight off some stiff competition.

• Options
    haha, can't beleive people are saying no to Kevin Phillips - who do you lot think we are going to get?  If he was available i would say snap him up but we have no chance becuase he will join a team inthe division ABOVE us!
  • Options
    I hear Sol Campbell is available too on a free if you want old, high earning ex-Premiership players.............
  • Options
    What would be the point in freeing up 12k a week between 2 players to have 1 player come in on 10k a week who's probably not even going to be in the starting line-up every week?
  • Options
    Phone him now answer to our prayers - born goalscorer
  • Options
    Even if the best offer he got was from us would he really drop down two divisions and re-locate to London?
    He'd probably take less money to play in The Championship and not have to deal with moving etc.

Can see him ending up at Coventry or playing back up at Leicester, something along those lines.

More importantly, ours wouldn't be the best offer by a mile.
  • Options
    Like he'd really come to us... would be a definite yes though!
  • Options
    He was on the radio the other day saying he could do a job for a championship club. Would be a great signing but i think he will not drop below the championship
  • Options

Maybe a little too similar in style I agree but not a bad sub to bring on after an hour if it's not working for BWP though.

Dream on anyway guys, I think he'll be elsewhere next year, possibly the Hammers.

Yep,  I agree.
  • Options
    Leicester maybe... decent payers and won't have to move.
    Forest or Coventry other, less likely options.

Can't see him leaving the Midlands, he's been settled there since 2005ish