Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kevin Phillips released by Birmingham

2»

Comments

• Options

Unless he's desperate to move back south he'll be beyond us. I guess the only thing that might act in our favour is that Blues didn't want to keep him despite relegation.

Would be a great signing, but he'd be an alternative to BWP for me. KP is an excellent player but I think we need a big guy who can play a bit to act as a foil for our poacher.

Some cover/competition for BWP would be good though especially with his knees and we do lack serious game changing options from the bench.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Warnock take a punt on him and take him to QPR - he never could resist an ageing striker.

• Options
    Pie in the sky !
  • Options
    A scouting report was put in to Lennie Lawrence recommending we sign him - possible we couldn't get Phillips or it was dismissed but we signed Paul Williams instead. Both good strikers that blossomed relatively late on so i'm sure there are bargains out there if our scouting network is now up to scratch. 
  • Options
    Paul Williams was signed in about 1987-88 ish so philips would have been about 14 years old I think
  • Options
    A scouting report was put in to Lennie Lawrence recommending we sign him - possible we couldn't get Phillips or it was dismissed but we signed Paul Williams instead. Both good strikers that blossomed relatively late on so i'm sure there are bargains out there if our scouting network is now up to scratch. 
    From Wiki for what it's worth:
    "Phillips started his football career as a right back. He was released by Southampton in his youth and signed for a non-league semi-professional team, Baldock Town, where he was successfully moved to a striker role; eventually he was signed by Watford on 19 December 1994 for £10,000."

He was released by Southampton as a defender in 1992 , before joining Baldock Town.

• Options
    I heard KP say in a radio interview that he would never play lower than the Championship.  He would retire instead if he thought he was not good enough for that.

If this guy ever signed for Charlton, it would be fantastic !
  • Options
    may have my dates mixed up and clearly it must have been somebody else we signed but a scouting report was definitely put in recommending we sign him - thought it was to lennie lawrence but maybe it was to curbs and gritt but the point is he would have been a great signing from a non league club, as Paul Williams was so they are out there and, like Ian Wright, don't necessarily show their brilliance at thr right time and get released. Them 3 made it back in obviously but thousands don't. David White is another strange case - he was brilliant in the playground, useless at 11 a side and then became a pro and then fell out of it completely as far as i'm aware
  • Options
    Aahh, the playground.
    I too shone in that legendary arena; tennis ball seemingly tied to my foot; amongst tight defensive barriers of six girls and a skipping rope, and roaming neanderthals who'd pick up the ball and larrap it onto the Gym roof ;-)

• Options

true - anybody who was at Crown Woods in the mid 80's would verify - amazingly skillful but no interest and no real impact when he played 11 a side

• Options
    I don't know what's more deluded - the thought that he would come to us, the thought that we could afford his wages, or the thought that we would even want him at his age when we're trying to build for the future.

Great player back in the day though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

think you're right on the first two but its dillusional to think we wouldn't want him

• Options
    , or the thought that we would even want him at his age when we're trying to build for the future.

It'd be a lot easier building for the future in the Championship where we could afford better wages and attract better players - if someone of Phillips' quality was available to us, even only for 1 season, we'd be mad to turn them away on the basis of age as they'd greatly increase our chances of achieveing target 1 - promotion from this shitty league.
  • Options
    Sorry, I should've said given the wages and the fact he wouldn't want to come, it is deluded to think that we would even want to think about spending time/money trying to persuade him to come.
  • Options
    This conversation all seems a bit futile to me when you think about it in reality. He's just come off a premier league salary, obviously he's likely to have to take a pay cut but he won't take one as vast as it would take to make him affordable to us, as indicated above a championship outfit who can afford to throw 8 or 9 grand a week at him will surely get him. And as much as I think he could be very handy for us, I would be a bit alarmed if we started blowing hefty wages on such a short-term investment / gamble. We need to spread what little money we do have around on building a team for the medium term. As Slater said, "a team not just to win promotion from league one, but that can compete in the championship".
    Good to see one Charlton fan on here who understands what your focus should be.
  • Options
    Just the one SLL?
  • Options
    It's as high as he can count....
  • Options
    I can't see where he'd fit in, though he is a very good player.

Not fit enough at his age to be a regular and he's not the right type of partner for BWP. He's not going to drop down to League 1 to be a squad player on £2/3k a week. If we start spending bigger money on wages it'll be on players we expect to start every game.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
  • Options

philips to charlton really.

More like since he was gone from Birmingham and wanted league one local football it will be walsall lol

• Options
    d bent, did u go to school?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

course why.

i type sometimes from texts standard

• Options
    I don't think the word deluded does justice to those who would be disappointed if we did sign him.
  • Options
    just wondered
  • Options
    Danny Graham is on his way from Watford. Phillips to complete his league football circle and finish his career there.
  • Options
    Just the one SLL?
    There's a few of you who've cottoned on, but far too many seem to live in this dreamworld that Charlton are some huge attractive club with money to burn and can spend their way to the Championship. Get a lean, young, eager, hungry squad, peppered with some older heads and you'll go up soon enough and be able to carry on progressing. Some of the expectations and demands doesn't do the club any favours, too much pressure on them.
  • Options
    I don't think the word deluded does justice to those who would be disappointed if we did sign him.
    Don't think anyone said they would be "disappointed if we did sign him".
  • Options
    I'd certainly see it as a waste of our - apparently limited - funds.