Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the second best Charlton game you have ever seen

It goes without saying that the 1998 playoff is unbeatable but which is the next best that you have seen?  For me it was the 4-2 beating of Chelsea on Boxing Day 2003.  Herman scoring inside a minute, Di Canio (imo the most skilful Charlton player I have seen) pulling the strings and Scotty in the midfield (no wonder they bought him.)  Chelsea couldn't believe what had hit them.  Went to in-laws (all Hammers fans) and got a round of applause.

Comments

• Options
    Rather boringly I have to agree with you.

Though the 4-2 at Highbury runs it incredibly close for occasion but the performance particularly in the first 60 minutes against Chelsea was imperious.
  • Options
    I disagree that the 1998 play-off final is unbeatable.
  • Options
    Those two are good, but without the St Andrews Play Off win we would've gone bust - so I'll go with that.
  • Options
    jimmy - are you saying that it has been beaten (in which case which is your fave) or that is may be bettered in the future?
  • Options
    1998 PlayOff Final.., Palace Away Last Minute, 1-0,.. Tottenham Away 3-2,
  • Options
    For me its the 2-1 win against Leeds at St Andrews or the 1-0 defeat of Pompey in the back to The Valley game. Wins over Arsenal and Chelsea were great but not emotional enough IMO.
  • Options
    Charlton 3 Man Utd 3 must be up there. 3-1 down and Robbo gets a late equaliser.

The Ipswich play of game to take us to Wembley was pretty special also .

But the one that sticks in my mind is Bolton at home back in the early 80's.
    Had to win to stay up and we were 1 down at half time ( I think that's right anyway) and we went on to win 4-1 and stay up.
    I was only 14 so the details may be a little clouded.
  • Options
    Funnily enough all those mentioned above are contenders but, although ultimately futile, | will go for Villa away 1999.  It had everything, two sendings off a last minute winner for us in a seven goal thriller and Brownie in goal
  • Options
    Tranmere 4-0 win, just narrowly beaten by the P'boro 5-1
  • Options
    Once you start thinking about it there are quite a few, but what came first to mind in Villa 3 - Charlton 4

- Kept us alive for another week
    - Early keeper cock up giving us the lead
    - Amazing cock up by Ruuuf
    - Two sendings off
    - Steve Brown in goal, saving a free kick
    - Never say die attitude
    - Last minute free kick and shot from Danny Mills (which glanced Mark Brights chest)
    - Me in the background on TV
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Villa 3 Charlton 4, 98/99. Better than the 98 play-off in many ways.

God I miss that team of the late 90's, so enjoyable to watch and never say die.
  • Options
    Many, but beating chelsea at Selhurst 3-0 was a great game.....
  • Options

What about Manchester United 0 Charlton Athletic 1 at Old Trafford in 86 ?

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2011
    So many excellent games. All good for different reasons. Apologies didn't want to pick just one.

9.04.1976      Charlton 2 West Brom 1           First game (seem to remember a lot of games when I was kid)
      10 09 1976   Charlton 4 Luton 3                     Classic end to end game. Lots of goals and we won.
     4.10.1977      Charlton 4 Brighton 3                 Really exciting game with some cracking goals when Brighton were on the up  
     15.10.1977    Charlton 4 Tottenham Hostpur 1  Mike Flanagan hatrick in 12 mins
    11.04.1977     Charlton 4 Chelsea 0                 Chelsea couldn't believe we had scored 4 goals and they set a fire in the old shed end.
      26.04. 1977  Charlton 5 Burnley 2  -               Some really excellent goals and a top free kick
      1.12.1979     Charlton 1 West Ham United 0   not a classic games but West Ham tried to boss the ground and having been relegated, and favourites for promotion considered themselves big boys - 1-0 great goal and result.
     4.11.2001      Arsenal 2 Charlton 4                  Excellent team performance. Arsenal in shock.
    6.11.2004       Tottenham 2 Charlton 3              Great team performance. Tottenham in shock. I was with a Spurs friend and they just couldn't believe their eyes.
     24.02.2007     Charlton 4 West Ham Utd 0     I know its under pardew's management but it was a great atmosphere and game.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/charlton-athletic/head-to-head -

This is great link for refreshing your memory.
  • Options
    The St Andrews play-off win was probably the most important match the club has ever been involved in and for that reason the most tense to watch.
    I will never forget that night as long as I live. I'd put it up there on a par with Wembley.
  • Options

The win at St Andews is my favourite match, followed by the '98 play off final.

• Options
    2-1 St Andrews for significance. West Ham and Man U away in 1986 and blackburn 1-0 in cup were all pretty good as was millwall in the snow.
  • Options
    Chelsea Boxing Day 2003 is up there, but I quite like winning on penalties at their gaff in the League cup. Only according to "the chosen one" we didn't! Can't remember the date.

Also Arsenal 4-2 is a good call, but I thought the score flattered us to be honest.
  • Options

A few that no-one's mentioned:

1-1 draw at Chelsea to keep us up and put them in the play-offs.

2-0 win v Fulham to virtually seal promotion to Div 1 and then the 3-2 win at Carlisle.

5-2 v Chelsea when Simmo scored two sublime goals.

• Options
    Yes MOG, I remember that night game and Paul Williams at his best.
    The press the next day predicted Charlton to be a major force in the league that year.
    We lost the next five games and were relegated together with our beloved neighbours.
    Ever since that day I'm suspicious of teams winning 3-0 at home and getting rave reports.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lot of great games,in our poor present state I enjoyed the 4-3 at Carlisle this season.We must get back to the Premier league.

• Options
    jimmy - are you saying that it has been beaten (in which case which is your fave) or that is may be bettered in the future?
    I'm saying that my 'fave' is the 1987 Play-Off Final replay. For pure drama and tension there is no equal in my opinion. As Off It said, a loss meant almost certain bankrupcy. When we went into the match in 1998 that certainly wasn't the case.

If, you're talking about the best match for entertainment then I guess that some of the older supporters would say that the 7-6 match was better than 1998. I don't know but it's a possibility.
  • Options

has to be the 0-0 home v Oldham this season................

only joking !!!!!!!!!!!

For me, it has to be either the St Andrews play off game, the 1998 Play Off final or the 4-3 Villa game.

• Options
    I'm saying that my 'fave' is the 1987 Play-Off Final replay. For pure drama and tension there is no equal in my opinion. As Off It said, a loss meant almost certain bankrupcy. When we went into the match in 1998 that certainly wasn't the case.

If, you're talking about the best match for entertainment then I guess that some of the older supporters would say that the 7-6 match was better than 1998. I don't know but it's a possibility.
    http://www.football-england.com/charlton_7_huddersfield_6.html

Read the report and decide for yourself.        
  • Options
    No contest for me. Millwall 0 - Charlton 2 in the snow.
  • Options
    Lots to choose from but CAFC 2  -  Derby County 0 is always a pleasant memory (Jan.'69) and the remarkable 4  -  1 win at QPR after a season and a half of no away wins was most enjoyable.
  • Options
    Wimbledon 4 - Charlton 5
    Newcastle 3 - Charlton 4
    St Andrews
    Norwich 1 - Charlton 3 (that Mortimer goal)
  • Options
    Either Arsenal away 4-2 or Coventry Away in the Fa Cup 2 nil down to win 3-2, Hunt in the last minute.
  • Options
    Charlton 4 Norwich 4. Played with ten men almost the entire match after sweaty Balmer got himself sent off early on. They scored from the resulting free kick, but two identical low free kicks from Kins and Twinkle-Toes put us 2-1 up at half time. They then proceeded to absolutely muller us in the 20 minutes after half time, with Darren Eadie in particular being brilliant for them and went 4-2 up. Curbs brought on pineapple-head Jason Lee. And him and Leaburn terrorised them for the last ten minutes, scored a goal each and we drew 4-4.

Not exactly the most meaningful game, but it was bloody entertaining!
  • Options
    For drama, you can't forget the play off final game against Leeds at St Andrews.