Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the second best Charlton game you have ever seen

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hate to admit this but the second best game was the play off final against Sunderland.

The best ever in my mind was Chelsea 1 Charlton 1 on the 7th May 1988 where we only needed a draw to put them into the relegation play offs as they were at the time. If we'd have been relegated at that time we wouldn't have come back. We were 1 - 0 down after seven minutes and......... well I'm not going to bang on but you had to be there as I'm sure most of us were :-) Lenny you genius!!

Sunderland game was good though!
  • Options

Two that stand out for me.

Ipswich at home in the semi-final was unreal, have never known The Valley rocking like that. Didn't sit down or stop singing for 90 minutes and the whole ground seemed to be the same.

Choice of an away game is versus Man City back in 1990, I don't get to many but this was brilliant to go to as a sixteen year old way back when. Remember doing the conga with a few others (and I mean a few, could only have been about 200 charlton there)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD09q9dV8ac

Gotta love Morts.

• Options
    Charlton 3-2 Liverpool - Was amazing seeing Lisbie score a Hat-Trick against them.
    Charlton 2-2 Palace - For obvious reasons
    Charlton 4-4 Millwall - First Charlton vs Millwall derby I saw as there hasn't been many in my lifetime, was amazing to come back from being 2-0 down.

Can't pick from them 3
  • Options
    Charlton 3-2 Liverpool - Was amazing seeing Lisbie score a Hat-Trick against them.
    Charlton 4-4 Millwall - First Charlton vs Millwall derby I saw as there hasn't been many in my lifetime, was amazing to come back from being 2-0 down.

Can't pick from them 3

How did we know there would be a Millwall game in your list?
  • Options

Can't pick from them 3

How did we know there would be a Millwall game in your list?
    Cant argue it was an amazing game.
  • Options
    My first game against Sunderland in '95 always stands out but the FA Cup match v Brentford in Feb '96 is my second favourite. My dad told me some amazing stories of FA Cup games and finals when I was little and I couldn't wait to see one. It was probably not the best game but to me it was amazing, I was so excited and then we went on to win 3-2, I bored everyone I knew for weeks after with my match report. I thought we were going to win the cup after that.

Wembley '98 is my favourite match. Can never seem to put the feelings of that game into words.
  • Options
    Promotion at the Valley ... 1975, beat Preston 3-1
  • Options
    4-4 with West Ham with JJ and Euell doubles
  • Options
    3-3 away to Liverpool about 10 years ago should've won 4-3 but referee never played advantage and gave us a free kick on the half way line instead if memory serves me well?
  • Options

Charlton 2 1 Norwich in the Full Members s/f at the Sainsbury's ground.

Not much of a game granted but everthing happened in a short space of time and it sticks in my mind. Was totally bolloxed and meant we were going to Wemberley.

Won't mention the final.

3-2 v Everton-Melrose hat-trick.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't pick one but beating Chelsea with Scottie in his pomp was great. Tracey at Palace was fab and of course Morts in the snow.
  • Options
    years ago, QPR were top of the division and we were nearer the bottom. We mullered em 6-1, Mike Flanagan scored 4. First time I saw a player do a head over heels in celebration. What WAS the year???
  • Options
    years ago, QPR were top of the division and we were nearer the bottom. We mullered em 6-1, Mike Flanagan scored 4. First time I saw a player do a head over heels in celebration. What WAS the year???

I would respectfully suggest you are not correct. I've supported CAFC since 1970 & I'm sure that has not happened.

We beat Swansea in Div 3 in about 1972, 6-1 I think & Flash scored 4.

• Options
    I think you're getting games mixed up. Flanagan scored 4 in a 6-1 win v Notts County in 1972. We won 4-1 at QPR in 1971 when they were 6th and we were 17th.
  • Options

Any nominations for beating Liverpool in the Soccer Six at Manchester?

• Options
    Well done Lawrie. That's right. The Swansea game was in the same season as the Notts C win.
  • Options

Any nominations for beating Liverpool in the Soccer Six at Manchester?

I have a signed and framed Charlton shirt from that soccer six Tournament.

I was there also when we won The London Evening Standard five a sides at Wembley Arena back in the mid 80's. Cracking night
  • Options
    I think you're getting games mixed up. Flanagan scored 4 in a 6-1 win v Notts County in 1972. We won 4-1 at QPR in 1971 when they were 6th and we were 17th.

I would respectfully suggest you are not correct. I've supported CAFC since 1970 & I'm sure that has not happened.

We beat Swansea in Div 3 in about 1972, 6-1 I think & Flash scored 4.

you're right gentleman, the match I am thinking of was v Notts County. What confused me was Don Masson played in the game, obviously before his move to QPR.
  • Options
    My second best game has to be charlton 2-2 swindon. 09 - 10 shelvey with a screamer and then going down to 9 men for llera to score with the last kick of the game
  • Options
    Wow, some great memories here.  That Preston game will always stick in my mind, because of the drama.

Another couple of contenders - Bristol Rovers 5 Charlton 5 and Charlton 6 Southampton 2 on a Friday night in the mid seventies (I believe Saints were cupholders at the time)  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The play-off final at Wembley is number 1 for me as, quite apart from the on pitch drama, I watched it with my 3 daughters so it is a shared memory for us all.

Second choice is much tougher and, depending on mood, I'd perm one from any of the Ipswich play-off game at The Valley in 1998, the FA Cup tie at The Valley again against Ipswich c1983, the 6-2 Southampton match c1976, the 5-2 Preston match c1966, the 4-2 West Ham match where Dicks was destroyed, and any of our wins at The Valley against Tottenham and Liverpool.

I'm sure if I tried tomorrow I'd come up with more. 

• Options
    The 4-2 win over Reading at the start of the 08/09 season was pretty good - my first game in about 3 years. Three penalties were awarded, Kevin Doyle hit the bar with their first, then Andy Gray scored one for us, then Reading were given another, which Weaver saved but was retaken and they equalised at 2-2. Varney and Bouazza with a superb volley secured the win.

At the time everything seemed rosy...