Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fresh faces produce a sign of early optimism at Charlton

Comments

• Options

Wagstaff has been offered a new three year deal and is awaiting agents comments. Expects to sign soon.

Loves Charlton and is getting even fitter for the start of next season!

• Options
    It's almost as if the writer reads Charlton Life! That bit about us only being happy if Messi signs comes straight from here.
  • Options
    if true, hope it's enough for decent boots that allow him to stay on his feet and cross the ball.
  • Options
    if true, hope it's enough for decent boots that allow him to stay on his feet and cross the ball.
    Your right if Scott could suss out his crossing by coaching & practice this Summer,  we could have a real player on our hands who could go all the way to the top, each season Scott has improved , i hope he continues to do that with us, cos ultimately it means we will be on the up!
  • Options

IF true - IF he could stay on his feet - IF he could cross a ball !!!!!!!!!!!!

If you aunt had bollox she'd be your uncle.......................

• Options
    If only he could score 10 goals a season.....

*walks away shaking head*
  • Options
    if only he was actually good....

if he didn't come from the academy would there still be such a waggy love in?
  • Options
    Nothing to do with coming from the academy. The opposite I think.

If we rumoured to be signing a winger who scored 10 goals for a team that finished 13th we'd be saying "that's a decent return for a winger"
  • Options
    to be fair to waggy, hes alot better than most of the dross wingers in this league, and put in a hell of a lot more effort this season than most of the team.
  • Options

Being ex-academy guarantees he'll be knocked by Charlton fans at every opportunity.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I view myself as from the glass half full side, but this bloke makes me doubt my credentials when I read his columns.
  • Options
    Jeez some of our fans are hard to please. I mean who would you really ideally want....that boy Lloyd Sam?
  • Options
    to be fair to waggy, hes alot better than most of the dross wingers in this league, and put in a hell of a lot more effort this season than most of the team.
    i agree completely. i just think people get a bit carried away sometimes

• Options
    Waggy has quality and tries hard, thats all I have to say
  • Options
    It's the dangerous looking squad bit that bothers me. Who does he mean dangerous for. Us or the oppo ?
  • Options
    if wagstaff gets 10 league goals next season i'll eat my charlton life hat
  • Options

So many complain at the lack of effort of shown by some who have worn our shirt, yet fail to recognise that quality when they see it week in week out. If whatever team CP puts out next year play with the same attitude we will do very well.

Timming of his runs into the box last year were excellent. I still think his best position is up front as he has pace and an eye for goal. oohaamortimer may have a point about 10 goals next season - but only because teams will be looking for him this year.

His game is more than just goals. He puts the effort in and tracks back - everytime. Watching Sam beating a defender again and again may have looked good, but by the time he got his cross in the defenders were set and the chance gone. Just be happy that he will still be here.

• Options
    Wagstaff will disappoint and frustrate if you're looking for him to play like a winger. He's not got the skill or quick feet to beat a player, he doesn't look to get many crosses in either.

He'll run all day though, has both the attitude and the fitness. He offers something at both ends of the pitch for the whole 90 minutes. He gets in goalscoring positions, is a good finisher  and doesn't give the ball away cheaply. When the space opens up he can set up a goal as well, Solly's goal v Orient a great example (though still an area he needs to work on).

It's a shame when Powell experimented with 4-3-3 Waggy never started. He's got the energy to offer both width and support the main striker (remember how narrow we were v Exeter with BWP and Eccleston as the wider forwards). Playing there he could get into goalscoring positions, his pace could cause problems and he could easily drop back to make it a 4-5-1.

He's also the type of player that keeps working at his game and I can imagine plays to the managers instructions. If we need him to make runs into certain areas or play defensively he'll do it, we've had wingers over the years who don't have that discipline or work rate.

So often when we're struggling fans cry out for passion or the youth players to be given a chance. We're in a league where we can give young players a go, he's still improving, works very hard and scores goals, gets the odd assist, yet it's not good enough for some.

We should be trying to find the best role for Wagstaff, help him develop as a player, not look to replace him. If we don't do that another club eventually will. Pardew, Parky and Powell all rate him for a reason, as do the likes of Keith Peacock, Damian Matthew and the academy coaches.
  • Options
    Waggy just needs a little bit more consitency then what a player he could become
  • Options

Wagstaff is 21, has scored more goals in one season that the player he replaced did in several and has gotten better every year.

If he keeps working hard and improving he'll grow with the team.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were god damn awful last season and I think I would have been prepared to chop the vast majority of the squad. Of the few I would have wanted to persevere with, Waggy would be included.
  • Options
    His season went to pot when Martin left.

That's what happens when there is no real competition for your place.
  • Options
    His season went to pot when Martin left.
    Actually he played some of his best football AFTER Martin left at Spurs, Sheff Weds and home to Plymouth.  He also continued to score goals.

Unfortunately Powell then started to repeat Parky's error of playing Wagstaff on the left where he is less effective.  He then dropped him for Eccleston so Waggy was not playing regularly and when he was it was often on the wrong side.  

And while Waggy wasn't playing in his true position we slipped down the table.

When Solly returned and Waggy played in front of him we had the most effective pairing on the right we had all season.

And Waggy can and does cross the ball well.  Solly's goal at Orient and BWPs first goal for the Club are both good examples.  Amazingly after Waggy had beat his man and crossed to BWP this was creditted to BWP "created a goal out of nothing".  Charlton Eyes again.

• Options
    Well said Henry!
  • Options

Rich Cawley is at it again on Twitter

Yeah. Got a transfer line for tomorrow. But can't reveal who.

• Options

Oh my days... here we go again.. keyboards will be in meltdown .... still at least Pc world will be busy!
  • Options

Oh my days... here we go again.. keyboards will be in meltdown .... still at least Pc world will be busy!
    Especially as he lied last time. Well known to the club. Apparently the fans will be like "wow how did chrissy pull that off" or "well done chrissy". When asked if it was Sullivan he said no. Turns out it was Sullivan!
  • Options

Especially as he lied last time. Well known to the club. Apparently the fans will be like "wow how did chrissy pull that off" or "well done chrissy". When asked if it was Sullivan he said no. Turns out it was Sullivan!
    No, it was Hayes!

He didn't lie, people just read too much into what a journalist trying to sell his paper said.

Chill, we'll find out in about 18 hours or less and it will most likely be something like the Dave Martin story that Guinness Addick has already broken on CL.
  • Options
    I just asked Rich Crawley on twitter whether the Palace transfer news involved Semedo, and his response was a simple 'No'

Yeah. Got some #cpfc transfer news too. Can't say what it is though - until appears in paper first.
    Is it Semedo?
    No.
  • Options

No, it was Hayes!

He didn't lie, people just read too much into what a journalist trying to sell his paper said.

Chill, we'll find out in about 18 hours or less and it will most likely be something like the Dave Martin story that Guinness Addick has already broken on CL.

Oh right ok. I thought it was a confirmation of a deal. I misunderstood.

Exciting, but i wont hold my breath