Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fresh faces produce a sign of early optimism at Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options

Back to the topic in hand here. An interesting piece from Mr Fricker, and though i don't agree with most of his articles, his passion for the club is loud and clear.  Is he Pub Spy?

• Options
    if wagstaff gets 10 league goals next season i'll eat my charlton life hat

keep up the good work oohaah.

where's that thread where you were offering odds on waggy netting 10 in a season?

• Options
    Regardless of his wonder goal today, he won't be in the team for the next league game I don't think.
  • Options
    Apart from world class goal didn't do much else really
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2011
    I thought he done alright.  Green wont be going past people that's for sure.
  • Options
    Well done Charlton but we still need a 15-20 goal a season striker like BWP.impressed with Stephens and Hollands also wiggins and Morrison done well.
  • Options
    Class strike today with out doubt. 
  • Options
    Wagstaff will disappoint and frustrate if you're looking for him to play like a winger. He's not got the skill or quick feet to beat a player, he doesn't look to get many crosses in either.

He'll run all day though, has both the attitude and the fitness. He offers something at both ends of the pitch for the whole 90 minutes. He gets in goalscoring positions, is a good finisher  and doesn't give the ball away cheaply. When the space opens up he can set up a goal as well, Solly's goal v Orient a great example (though still an area he needs to work on).

It's a shame when Powell experimented with 4-3-3 Waggy never started. He's got the energy to offer both width and support the main striker (remember how narrow we were v Exeter with BWP and Eccleston as the wider forwards). Playing there he could get into goalscoring positions, his pace could cause problems and he could easily drop back to make it a 4-5-1.

He's also the type of player that keeps working at his game and I can imagine plays to the managers instructions. If we need him to make runs into certain areas or play defensively he'll do it, we've had wingers over the years who don't have that discipline or work rate.

So often when we're struggling fans cry out for passion or the youth players to be given a chance. We're in a league where we can give young players a go, he's still improving, works very hard and scores goals, gets the odd assist, yet it's not good enough for some.

We should be trying to find the best role for Wagstaff, help him develop as a player, not look to replace him. If we don't do that another club eventually will. Pardew, Parky and Powell all rate him for a reason, as do the likes of Keith Peacock, Damian Matthew and the academy coaches.
    Excellent post