Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dr Who has jumped the shark

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related
Well, I've always enjoyed the show but last week's episode seemed to me to be very disjointed with desperate, manic acting and a poor script.  I wondered why I was watching and what Russell T Davies was making of the latest series.  Now we hear that the Daleks have been "rested".  Sure the franchise will carry on but in my view it's got to that "jumping the shark" moment and there will be no coming back this time.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, Stephen Moffat is a moron. It's supposed to be a kids show, but it's so confusing now even people with PhDs can't understand it. The silly tosser has killed it, the ratings have turned to dust, doubt there will be any more after this year.
  • Options
    Well, at least I've learnt something - I know what "jumping the shark" means now!

I hope you are wrong though - maybe they can turn it around.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, at least I've learnt something - I know what "jumping the shark" means now!
    The question is, when did Doctor Who 'Grow its beard?'

Hartnell? Troughton? Personally, I think Pertwee.
  • Options
    A blip but sure it will improve.
  • Options
    Thought last two weeks show was poor
  • Options
    So it wasn't just me then. I really didn't understand the last episodes.
  • Options
    What was confusing about it Bangkok? Apart from the problem of identifying who was "the real one", which was kind of the point of the episode, it was pretty straightforward.
  • Options
    So it wasn't just me then. I really didn't understand the last episodes.

Nope, not just you Bankok. Me and the missus watched it and agreed the same at the end - in danger of disappearing up it's worm hole if it's not careful.

Quite enjoyed the last series but this one has left me cold and beging to find Matt Smith mildly anoying now. Not his fault, I just think the scripts and storylines haven't been up to scratch recently.

Bring back Tennent IMO!

• Options

Boy! What an education I am getting - I know what "Grow its beard" means now.
  • Options
    I couldn't stand Tennant at all, so anything is an improvement on that! The last season was better than this one though, the very first with Ecclestone is the best I've seen I think, now it's just ridiculously complicated. You have to watch it with a notepad to make sure you don't miss any ridiculously obscure but important details...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Boy! What an education I am getting - I know what "Grow its beard" means now.

:-)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think Dr who has gone right downhill this series , and has lost its original 'buzz' shame, as i used to look forward to it.
  • Options
    Don't think the story lines are too complicated, just not very well done.  Some of the "clever" plots such as the weeping angels were brilliant.

Smith is getting more like McCoy every episode which is a Very Very bad thing.  His "wife" or whatever she is is also a tediousm drawn out sub-plot. Don't care, get on with it.

As Henry jnr has stopped watching so have I but when it's on I have a look and then turn off.

Preferred Eccleston of the modern three.
  • Options
    Don't stop watching Henners, them angels will get you...
  • Options
    It is suffering a bit from Pirates of the Carribbean disease in that it forgets what makes it successful and starts to take itself too seriously and be too clever.I think Matt Smith is surprisingly good but the stories are just a bit too much up their own backsides.
  • Options
    Wasn't Weeping Angels a Russell T Davies script?
    Thought Davies and Tennant were the dream team - best run of Dr. Who ever IMO.
    Eccleston was too sort of aggressive for my Dr. Who ideal
  • Options
    Nope. Weeping Angels was a Moffatt script.
    I enjoyed a lot of the Tennant run, despite Davies occasional going a bit batshit (TinkerbellJesusDoctor at the end of series 3 for example), but I think the year of "specials" didn't do anyone any favours.

Really wasn't sure about Smith when it was announced, but he won me over at the end of the last series, and now I prefer him to Tennant, as the Doctor at any rate.
  • Options
    Looking forward to 'Lets Kill Hitler'
  • Options
    I've enjoyed all 3 of the re-incarnations. Matt smith took a bit of time to grow on me and is still my least favourite of the three but he's certainly not being helped with some of the scripts this series. The 2 part that's just been aired was about as bad as it's got so far. Hope they don't can it though...........................
  • Options
    Thought it was good last night .... good twist at the end
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is seth plum's nephew, using his computer.
    I'm 9 years old and I personally love the new Doctor Who.
    Matt Smith may not be as good as Tennant, but he is trying his best.
    I am annoyed about Moffat 'resting' the Daleks, but Doctor Who (hopefully) will still be good without them.
    Well, I've always enjoyed the show but last week's episode seemed to me to be very disjointed with desperate, manic acting and a poor script.  I wondered why I was watching and what Russell T Davies was making of the latest series.  Now we hear that the Daleks have been "rested".  Sure the franchise will carry on but in my view it's got to that "jumping the shark" moment and there will be no coming back this time.

• Options
    The scripts seem to jump around, all frantic action and no proper development. I usually end up thinking "what was that all about?" I'm not bothered if i see it or not now. Bring back Rupert Davies.
    The Mentalist can be very good though.
  • Options
    It would be nice to see the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) appear in a new story with the current Doctor. He was only in the Doctor Who movie.
  • Options
    My only problem with the current incarnation of Doctor Who, by which I mean the 3 doctors since the relaunch, is that he's become a "Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" type. If it carries on this way, the next Doctor will be played by 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, but it looks like the issue is being addressed in the current storyline so I'm happy.
  • Options

Before the modern series began I always thought John Simm would be a great doctor but think he was the Master so kind of ruled himself out.

Although it is a kids show - not sure why causing such a furore amongst adults.

• Options
    I'm not really a fan but watch it with the family.  It was turning into something that I really didn't like, but the last three have been great IMO.  I admire the writer's ability to come up with storylines that span a number of episodes and even series and build characters slowly. 
  • Options

I think Tennant's last season was going to be very hard to top, Davies was an outstanding writer and he had threads running right from the start of the relaunch with Ecclestone.

They're clearly doing something similar with this one, but I think it's a bit convoluted and probably contrived to remain accessible to all ages, unlike Davies' writing. Some of what Moffat is doing brings to mind Michael York telling Austin Powers 'best not think about it' when he was openly wondering about the contradictions of time travel.

That said I like Matt Smith, he's done brilliantly well considering who he had to follow, and the Amy Pond story is intriguing.  I think things are warming up, but lots of potential for a huge anti-climax.

Does anyone else get the feeling that they're in part writing to enable the Doctor to (i) keep going beyond his 13th regeneration (ii) allow his regeneration into a woman?

• Options
    I just don't get it - it's a kids' programme FFS. It's like grown-ups watching/reading Harry Potter. There's already a grown-up version of that - it's called Lord Of The Rings. Why would you watch a kids' show?
  • Options
    I just don't get it - it's a kids' programme FFS. It's like grown-ups watching/reading Harry Potter. There's already a grown-up version of that - it's called Lord Of The Rings. Why would you watch a kids' show?
    You were doing OK until you mentioned Lord of the Rings.   Biggest kids story and pile of tosh ever.
  • Options
    It's aimed at the family not at kids, which means it has to straddle that tricky divide of being accessible by both. This was the mistake made in my view in the early Sylvester McCoy years and ultimately led to its demise.  Then it was too much aimed at the kids, now perhaps it's gone a little more adult, particularly in its complexity.

Anyway, the question was has it jumped the shark.  Well I think this is a fairly unique show that can redefine itself simply by changing the lead actor.  The two that seem to be the most popular were Tom Baker and David Tennant - perhaps it's not about a single peak for Doctor Who.