Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robbie Keane Sets New British & Irish Isles Record

2»

Comments

• Options
    Luxembourg?, I'll give to ye, USA?, .. 1950: USA 1, England 0, one of Englands bogey teams
  • Options

Bobby Charlton scored his goals against real opposition, not the Faroe Islands, Macedonia, Eritrea, Lithuania and the Vatican City.

Who would you rather have in your side, the GREAT Sir Bobby Charlton (it's all in the name) or frying pan face Robby Keane? 

Well now that you bring it up, 22 of Bobby Charlton's 49 goals came in friendlies (44.9%).

By contrast, only 16 of Robbie Keane's 51 goals scored so far came in friendlies (31.4%).

You might also like to consider that for much of Charlton's time, England were one of the major forces in World Football - including four years as reigning World Champions.

Ireland have fluctuated between being ranked 56th to 12th in the World during Keane's international career.

This means that Ireland & Robbie Keane will have played a far greater percentage of their matches against higher ranked opposition than England & Bobby Charlton ever did.

• Options

Bobby Charlton scored his goals against real opposition, not the Faroe Islands, Macedonia, Eritrea, Lithuania and the Vatican City.

Who would you rather have in your side, the GREAT Sir Bobby Charlton (it's all in the name) or frying pan face Robby Keane? 

Well now that you bring it up, 22 of Bobby Charlton's 49 goals came in friendlies (44.9%).

By contrast, only 16 of Robbie Keane's 51 goals scored so far came in friendlies (31.4%).

You might also like to consider that for much of Charlton's time, England were one of the major forces in World Football - including four years as reigning World Champions.

Ireland have fluctuated between being ranked 56th to 12th in the World during Keane's international career.

This means that Ireland & Robbie Keane will have played a far greater percentage of their matches against higher ranked opposition than England & Bobby Charlton ever did.

As you know, Charlton (Bobby) was much more than just a goalscorer. He was the main creative player in the England team for many years as well as a major source of international goals.

Anyway, 50 or 100 is surely an arbitrary number. A ratio of goals scored to games played is a better mark of a strikers' ability, given that 'modern' defences are far more proficient than those around in (say) the   1950s, 60s and 70s. Amongst the deadliest strikers I can find who regualrly played 'top level'  international football: Greaves:  57 Games, 44 Goals, Hurst 49/24, Law 55/30, Eusebio 64/41 and Pele 92/77. The games to goals ratio increases as time goes by. All down to modern defensive football, so Keane has done very well, despite my contention that many games nowadays are played against international 'pub teams'

• Options
    68% of us don't care.
  • Options
    Can't believe the Spurs fan is arguing Keane's international achievements are better than those of Bobby Charlton. Have a day off.
  • Options
    ...neither can I.  I can tell you who I'd rather see in a Tottenham shirt right now...and its not Robbie Keane.
  • Options

99% believe Keene isnt good enough to tie Bobby Charltons laces.

151% think Spurs are just gobshites

• Options
    Why can't we just get along
  • Options
    Keano...51 goals...and none of them against Eritea, Lithuania or The ..em Vatican City...Not bad considering the crap service he gets!!
  • Options

5 of Bobby's goals were against Luxembourg and 4 against USA.

and 5 against Scotland ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I reckon Keane has a better shots per goal ratio!
  • Options
    Fantastic achievement despite what others think and say.
  • Options
    Is that you Roger?
  • Options
    redsek said:

FFS there are some ignorant cranks on this board. Not interested? Don't fucking read it then.

Predictable cranks
  • Options
    redsek said:

FFS there are some ignorant cranks on this board. Not interested? Don't fucking read it then.

Unfortunately its a 5 year old post that has gotten bumped today for some reason. I personally would have created a new thread to honour lovely Robbie. :-)

• Options
    Curb_It said:

redsek said:

Unfortunately its a 5 year old post that has gotten bumped today for some reason. I personally would have created a new thread to honour lovely Robbie. :-)

I didn't feel he merited another thread, when he's already got an existing one :smile:
  • Options
    cracking player for the irish, hope he gets a great farewell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Curb_It said:

redsek said:

I didn't feel he merited another thread, when he's already got an existing one :smile:
    Especially since he's been supporting this thread since he was a boy, reading it on the terraces, chanting its name.

redsek said:

Predictable cranks
    Saved you the effort @Bedsaddick
    Haha beat me to it.
  • Options
    Nice guys as well Robbie
  • Options
    Scored 1 in the first half, ROI lead 3-0.