Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Forest Sack Davies

You can almost hear the speculation building ....

Comments

• Options
    McLaren going Forest and McLeish has resigned from Brum to go to Villa apparently
  • Options
    Looks like Alex McLeish has walked also. Bring on the merry go round.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder whats been going on since the closing stages of the season.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    failed bid to add magic roundabout photo  ;-(image
  • Options
    Martin O'Neil to Forest?
  • Options
    Martin O'Neil to Forest?

Maybe, but the BBC reports that Steve McClaren and Forest are in talks with an announcement due tomorrow.

• Options
    Yea just saw that. McLaren would do a good job I reckon. Wonder if Curbs would be considered for the Birmingham job? Probably not
  • Options
    I just fail to see why Villa would rather Mcleish than curbs
  • Options
    Curbs seems to have fallen completely off the radar - hope he gets a decent job soon
  • Options
    Idiots. ( forest)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Curbs is happy with his TV cameo roles reckon he is old stock now

• Options
    Curbs seems to have fallen completely off the radar - hope he gets a decent job soon
    Curbs is quick becoming the George Graham of our time.
    Mentioned for every single job going but no chairman willing to touch him with a barge pole.
  • Options
    You have to think the tribunal hasn't helped Curbs with other jobs, I'm sure a lot of chairmen would be put off by that.
  • Options
    He once sold confiscated booze at a Who gig at The Valley you know. 

I'm sure that's the real reason he hasn't had a job since WHam.
  • Options
    Idiots. ( forest)
    From a football perspective I make your right, but I'd imagine he's a pain to work with.  Highly strung
  • Options
    Mentioned for every single job going but no chairman willing to touch him with a barge pole.
    Alternatively, perhaps he is simply doing what he wants.
    He has TMK only put himself in the frame for one job.
    Not exactly the actions of a desperate man.

Do you have once scintilla of evidence that chairmen 'arent willing to touch him with a barge pole', as you so charitably put it?
  • Options
    Spot on Floyd, how do we know he has even applied for any of these roles?

He may well be happy with the money in the bank, and why not!
  • Options

Alan Brazil seemed to be sure he fancied the Ipswich job - i know that isn't necessarily concrete proof but he also gave some interviews at the start of the season where he said if he couldn't get a prem job he may start looking lower. 

• Options
    I always thought the Villa job would've appealed to him. But that has come and gone a few times since he was first available. Same with Birmingham, thought they may have appealed because of his historic connections - although not sure he would've fancied the owners (old or new). Then I thought Ipswich, given that he lives over that way - but they went elsewhere and then Fulham, but so have they - twice.

Difficult to see where he would/could go now really without ending up at some hole like Hull, or the like. Maybe Wigan if Martinez had gone (and if he'd been prepared to up sticks) - but he didn't!
  • Options

Interesting times. McLeish signs Marlon 'I never touched her' King and then is straight down the road. Hughes is still unemployed, so we now have McLeish, Davies, Hughes and of course the oldest stager of all, O'Neill, as well as the Wally with the Brolly all job hunting.

I'll have £1 on Graham Taylor going back to Villa. He by a long long way talks the best game.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on Floyd, how do we know he has even applied for any of these roles?

He may well be happy with the money in the bank, and why not!
    Perhaps Curbs has now paid off his mortgage, rediscovered his football widow wife, and likes doing the gardening on a sunny Sunday morning - then, why not indeed!

TV cameo roles and the Hamster compensation money stashed away, may mean money is not his worry.
    Ah, the stress free life!
  • Options

I wonder if Marlon King now regrets signing for Brum............the new manager may have a conscience and decides he doesn't want him.

Also very strange that Forest sack Davies and (aparantly) alraedy have someone lined up..........I thought the gig was that you sack your manager and then have diddly squat ideas as to whom to have next - works for us everytime !!

• Options

Do you have once scintilla of evidence that chairmen 'arent willing to touch him with a barge pole', as you so charitably put it?
    I'll dig the evidence out if you want (it is on an another thread about Curbs) but he admitted on Sky a year or so ago that the has been looking for a job since he left West Ham and had not been waiting for his case to be resolved before doing so.

There are three main reasons why he isn't a Manager now.

The first is that he was too choosy at the outset. The Managers who stay employed are prepared to go down a level to do so. Out of sight is out of mind. The Allardyce's, Hodgsons, Hughes etc etc use the less fashionable clubs as stepping stones but Curbs initially set his sights too high.

The second is that he did sue his Employer. In football it is relatively unknown for a Manager to walk away at the end of his contract with both the Club and Manager both happy. Curbs has on his CV that he sued his employer for every penny his contract was worth (despite the fact he chose to walk) and whilst he was right to do so, any future employer will have at the back of their mind that he might do the same to them if there is any fall out.

The third is that he was part of the regime that resulted in West Ham to the financial position they are now in. His first three signings were Calum Davenport, Nigel Quashie and Luis Boa Morte and these were followed by the likes of Kieran Dyer and Freddie Ljungberg (both crocks and on ridiculous salaries) along with the £200,000 a week man Luca Neill. He would argue that he didn't sign the cheques but for someone aspiring to prove himself at the very top he has been tainted by that. 
  • Options
    The fourth is that in most people's eyes, Curbs is synonymous with plucky little Charlton.

• Options

I agree with your first point Adict Addick, but a I also think it doesn't help that :

A) he would prefer to stay in the s/east & not take a position further than the Midlands.

AND

B) he is known for being "cautious" and some chairmen would prefera bit more "style"

He will soon be seen like a Hoddle, Taylor (Graham), Venable, Graham etc etc and very unlikely gwt a premiership job. He should take a job in the Championship (or even League 1) and prove his worth !!

• Options

I agree with your first point Adict Addick, but a I also think it doesn't help that :

A) he would prefer to stay in the s/east & not take a position further than the Midlands.

AND

B) he is known for being "cautious" and some chairmen would prefera bit more "style"

He will soon be seen like a Hoddle, Taylor (Graham), Venable, Graham etc etc and very unlikely gwt a premiership job. He should take a job in the Championship (or even League 1) and prove his worth !!

Hope springs eternal...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I always thought that the longer it went without him having a managerial job the less likely he'd be to get one in the Premiership.  I reckon if he wants one now he'll have to prove himself in the Championship again.  Then again it could be just as Appy, Oggy & Co have called it that he can now live quite comfortably and doesn't want the stress.  I guess we won't find out until the second biography comes out.  Then again, without that management job there won't be another book either.
  • Options

I'll dig the evidence out if you want (it is on an another thread about Curbs) but he admitted on Sky a year or so ago that the has been looking for a job since he left West Ham and had not been waiting for his case to be resolved before doing so.

There are three main reasons why he isn't a Manager now.

The first is that he was too choosy at the outset. The Managers who stay employed are prepared to go down a level to do so. Out of sight is out of mind. The Allardyce's, Hodgsons, Hughes etc etc use the less fashionable clubs as stepping stones but Curbs initially set his sights too high.

The second is that he did sue his Employer. In football it is relatively unknown for a Manager to walk away at the end of his contract with both the Club and Manager both happy. Curbs has on his CV that he sued his employer for every penny his contract was worth (despite the fact he chose to walk) and whilst he was right to do so, any future employer will have at the back of their mind that he might do the same to them if there is any fall out.

The third is that he was part of the regime that resulted in West Ham to the financial position they are now in. His first three signings were Calum Davenport, Nigel Quashie and Luis Boa Morte and these were followed by the likes of Kieran Dyer and Freddie Ljungberg (both crocks and on ridiculous salaries) along with the £200,000 a week man Luca Neill. He would argue that he didn't sign the cheques but for someone aspiring to prove himself at the very top he has been tainted by that. 

I'd think the main reason(s) are that he wants to stay in or around London and that limits his choices. He's not going to get offered some jobs - Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. Some jobs he wouldn't want - Brentford, Watford, Orient, Southend etc. That leaves a few clubs of the likes of Ipswich, Norwich and one or two other teams.

Very possibly after the West Ham experience and court case he wanted a break.  But I doubt that potential employers are looking at his track record and are wondering about whether they should employ someone who signed Kieron Dyer for example. Plenty of managers have a few skeletons in their transfer closets. He worked well with Scott Parker for example and turned him into a success first time around and took him to West Ham and he kept the latter up when relegation looked odds on, and we know what he did at Charlton. When it comes down to it achieving that kind of success is far more attractive to employers than dodgy transfer purchases which might just have been out of his control (i.e. who knows what the truth is?) - he signed di Canio and that was considered a success, occasionally acquiring older players does work, but no manager has a 100% successful track record in the transfer market. Curbs after all was responsible for signing Marcus Bent and wanted to sign JFH.

• Options
    Dig out some direct quotes, Addick Addict, and I will modify my belief.

From mny limited sample, I believe he has only ever said he would have loved the A Villa job, but I stand to be corrected, on fact rather than armchair opinion.

In the meantime I will maintain a more positive, compassionate view on our best manager of recent times, and hope you are happy with your opinions about him. I mean who are you to cast the opinion that ''he was too choosy at the outset.''

Surely he was free to do what he wanted? Too choosy? Too choosy? and any other emphases ;-)
    No chance he might have just needed a rest from the amazingly stressful and remarkable magic he weaved for us over many years?
  • Options
    The boy curbishley should've rode back in after pardew and sorted this whole shambolic mess that we have watched unfold before us.

I can't help but feel he just didn't have the energy to do it again if he did you could have bet your life the villa job would've came along.

I still live in hope that one day he will ride a white charger and get us back to where we worked so hard to be