Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things you've only recently discovered that have shocked/annoyed/disappointed/pleased you

Comments

• Options
    Shocked to see/hear after an abysmal career so far, the band Hard-fi are actually still giving it a go as a band.

Time to give up the dream and go back to serving chavvy folks in Staines branch Sports Direct chaps.
  • Options
    It was Anthony Weiner's weiner!
  • Options
    Shocked to hear that this kid could face up to 8 years in prison for an innocent prank 

That is shocking.
  • Options
    Just discovered the inbox button at he top of the screen. How long has that been there?
  • Options
    From day one of the new CL era CA. I did invite you to join my whisper clique but you obviously missed it.

Good news about the great Nick Lowe. Never knew that about Gill Scott Heron
  • Options

apparently,now it is acceptable for adults to push their tongue behind their bottom lip whilst making a 'urgh' sound to indicate someones stupidity.

as a child (keeping with the blue peter theme) this was frowned upon as taking the piss out of joey deacon.

file under shocked.

• Options

apparently,now it is acceptable for adults to push their tongue behind their bottom lip whilst making a 'urgh' sound to indicate someones stupidity.

as a child (keeping with the blue peter theme) this was frowned upon as taking the piss out of joey deacon.

file under shocked.

That is so true Bacon, its only recently starting happening (becoming socially acceptable, to some) and I have found myself asking people what the hell they are doing.
  • Options
    From day one of the new CL era CA. I did invite you to join my whisper clique but you obviously missed it. Good news about the great Nick Lowe. Never knew that about Gill Scott Heron
    I did get a message from you Henners, I just could'nt find it. Can you check with AFKA if my full "clique of cliques" platinum+ membership subscriptions are fully up to date. Got to maintain my place in the Hoi oligoi.
  • Options

Cordoban - thanks for pointing out the inbox thing - I never knew it was there either!

My apologies to those who I may not have replied to - I wasn't being ignorant (as in impolite), I was being ignorant (as in thick)!

• Options
    Ok the trial wasn't totally over but the woman she conacted had already been aquitted. I mean I dont feel for the woman because she's clearly a moron and trailer trash scum but I cant believe u can get done for something like that when jury service is forced upon you in the first place.

Also is that article on the blow up doll really from the Metro?! That spelling and grammar is atrocious and yet I can't get a writing job for shit. Smh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok the trial wasn't totally over but the woman she conacted had already been aquitted. I mean I dont feel for the woman because she's clearly a moron and trailer trash scum but I cant believe u can get done for something like that when jury service is forced upon you in the first place.

Also is that article on the blow up doll really from the Metro?! That spelling and grammar is atrocious and yet I can't get a writing job for shit. Smh.
    LOL
  • Options
    Ok the trial wasn't totally over but the woman she conacted had already been aquitted. I mean I dont feel for the woman because she's clearly a moron and trailer trash scum but I cant believe u can get done for something like that when jury service is forced upon you in the first place. Also is that article on the blow up doll really from the Metro?! That spelling and grammar is atrocious and yet I can't get a writing job for shit. Smh.
    Can't be arsed to read about the women getting 9 months for being stupid, but your attitude to jury service needs to be challenged. Would you rather we went back to the lord of the manor or a lynch mob handing out justice?
  • Options

Cordoban - thanks for pointing out the inbox thing - I never knew it was there either!

My apologies to those who I may not have replied to - I wasn't being ignorant (as in impolite), I was being ignorant (as in thick)!

Even for us in the cliques there is a glass ceiling holding us down from the true elite. I don't think they wanted us to know.
  • Options
    No, of course not. But there needs to be an alternative to hard working people being dragged out of their jobs to decide whether a rapist actually is a rapist etc.
  • Options
    No, of course not. But there needs to be an alternative to hard working people being dragged out of their jobs to decide whether a rapist actually is a rapist etc.
    Right. Studied much history?
    Please enlighten us as to what you think might be a better judicial system operating anywhere on this planet, now or ever?
  • Options
    lol. Yes. A at GCSE and C at A level thanks. And obv I don't have all the answers but wen people are forced to do something against their will, the quality of that process won't be particularly high. Believe me it will be one of those things that people look back on in years to come and laugh at how we used to do it. Too much time is spent deliberating on things which are so black and white. Just like in football where dubious goals/decisions take up column inches for days when the facts are simple.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    lol. Yes. A at GCSE and C at A level thanks. And obv I don't have all the answers but wen people are forced to do something against their will, the quality of that process won't be particularly high. Believe me it will be one of those things that people look back on in years to come and laugh at how we used to do it. Too much time is spent deliberating on things which are so black and white. Just like in football where dubious goals/decisions take up column inches for days when the facts are simple.

Who decides they are black and white. Perhaps if we had some benevolent ruler who just made all the decisions for us we could do away with a lot of time wasting proceedures. The thing about a random* jury service is that you are mean't to get a broad cross section of people with broad life experiences, if it was down to volunteers then it would, I imagine, be the same sorts of people with similar experiences staffing the juries.

Unless of course you were thinking of a judge dread type justice service?

*I won't get started on rather I think the selection process is random or not.

• Options
    Jury service isn't something that you're expected to with any frequency.

Unless you're involved with a long running trial, jury service normally only lasts for a week or two.
    And that's it. You won't be called up again for years.

The only time I was called up, it was all over within 2 weeks. That was in 1979.

I haven't been called up since.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Too much time is spent deliberating on things which are so black and
    white. Just like in football where dubious goals/decisions take up
    column inches for days when the facts are simple.

I will ignore the idea that a persons guilt or innocence for a serious crime is ''just like in football''. and suggest to you that I hope you are never accused of a serious crime which you did not commit.
    You seem an educated chap, but it does seem odd that you think trial by jury is laughable yet you cannot suggest an improved system, despite studying history and presumably being aware of how widely adopted the system is worldwide.
    Presumably you learnt the definition of society, in the shared sense of duty to the community?
  • Options

Whether we like it or not, we have obligations to society.

Jury service is one of them.

It might be a pain in the backside if you are called up, but it's the least worst way we have of trying to give people a fair trial.  Until we come up with a better way, that's how it's going to stay.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

One of our rights as British citizens is the right to be tried by a jury of our peers in a case decided on the evidence presented before  acourt. In order for that to happen then British citizens must voluntarily give up their time in order to sit on juries. So by exercising this responsibility you are helping people in the way that you would be expected to receive should you ever end up being accused and charged with committing a crime.

Or we can just all be selfish.

• Options
    Saw the new bird on countdown for the first time on 8/10 cats the other day. Pleased.
  • Options
    Baby mcbobbin came into this world on Thursday... Despite having a degree in biology I've been finding out shocking and pleasing things for just just over 9 months. The lack of sleep could be counted as annoying, but that hardly came as a surprise!
  • Options
    I was shocked to see a letter come through my door the other day saying I have to attend jury service

Also a little disappointed to be honest as I really dont want to do it but who knows it might be a good experience which will be pleasing
  • Options
    Congrats McBobbin
  • Options
    I recently discovered the Charlton football rumours page and certainly wish I hadn't. I can't resist looking at it, which promptly pisses me off big time.
  • Options

McBobbin - congrats.

Also, singing CAFC whilst walking around holding the littlun definitely helps them get off to sleep - almost sets them up for life in the east stand.

• Options
    I was shocked to see a letter come through my door the other day saying I have to attend jury service

Also a little disappointed to be honest as I really dont want to do it but who knows it might be a good experience which will be pleasing
    Jury service is a guaranteed method of completely destroying any faith you may have in the justice system. Done it twice now and remain horrified, firstly at the amount of time and money wasted on formalities and pointless procedural crap and secondly at the sheer stupidity of the average juror. I can't go into details but suffice it to say that we had several jurors who decided that one of the defendants was guilty of charge A but not of charge B when that would have been physically impossible!

If I never get called up again it will be too soon.
  • Options
    I wasn't comparing crime to football decisions, I said the unnecessary time/money/deliberation is comparable.

And I don't have an alternative to jury service except with certain cases such as paedos where they should automatically get a life sentence. But funnily enough I'm not a politican, I just said the system is dated and while I can't think of an alternative at the moment, I can guarantee there will be one in 100 years time and it will make this one look silly. Also do u know anyone who gets the dreaded letter through the post and is happy about it? Didn't think so.

Anyway this all started because the thread was 'what shocked...you' and this case shocked me. Im sure I wasn't the only one. Like I said I dont have all the answers but reading it surprised and amused me. Its like your dad asking you to help him in the garden and then moaning at you for doing it wrong.
  • Options
    "Its like your dad asking you to help him in the garden and then moaning at you for doing it wrong."

Quality! LOL