Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This coming season

edited June 2011 in General Charlton
Does the league look easier or harder to get out of this season compared to the last couple, based one the size of the clubs ie Leeds being a big club.

Comments

• Options
    Does the league look easier or harder to get out of this season compared to the last couple, based one the size of the clubs ie Leeds being a big club.

Based purely on "size of club" the two Sheffields, Huddersfield, Preston and us probably qualify as "big" clubs in league 1.

Last season Southampton were a "big" club and Brighton on their way to being one so I'd say it is much the same.

What we have seen in this division over two seasons is that by and large (Brighton last season excepted as they rather ran away with it) margins are small and anybody can beat anybody else.

In my view size of club is less important than players with fight and character to grind out a result as the likes of Carlisle, Swindon, Exeter, Walsall etc did last season at The Valley.

• Options

Will be much the same as last season IMHO...though hopefully just a bit easier.

There or thereabouts = PNE, Hudds, Sheff Weds (i.e the biggest threats)

There are also a number of also rans such as MK franchise and then there will be some unexpected challengers as there are every year (e.g Brighton and the spanners last year, Swindon and Colchester the year before that).

I don't think Sheff Utd have the moolah to be much of a threat next season as I understand it.

TBH though, it seldom pans out how you think it's going to....wouldn't you agree?

• Options
    As they say, "its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"
  • Options

I am quite happy with the new players this week even put  down £50  on Charlton for Promotion odds 4-1.

And this sqaud in the last 3 seasons in my eyes is the best i seen  and lets get passionate behind chris powell

• Options
    Are you serious? We will be mid table at Xmas and I fear the end of the season. Honestly think Powell is too "nice" for management.
  • Options
    Think Sheff Utd might be a threat once they get rid of Danny Wilson, nobody there wanted him so as soon as they get a couple of bad results the pressure will be on them.

MK look like they could be an even bigger threat this season
  • Options
    I think you are very much in the minority Dazzler, and I am sure there are enough strong people around us now to prevent CP going soft. Yes, he is a lovely guy, but he is also an intelligent fellow. I can smell an exciting season coming up.
  • Options

If we actually got ourselves in gear, same as anyone, we can win this league, this league is full of garbage which we were last year, its about fight, team gelling, and a little bit of quality and you can win week in week out...

Do we have those abilities, havnt got a clue?

• Options

If we actually got ourselves in gear, same as anyone, we can win this league, this league is full of garbage which we were last year, its about fight, team gelling, and a little bit of quality and you can win week in week out...

Do we have those abilities, havnt got a clue?

Agree,  on paper the signings so far look OK but we don't play on paper.   We should go up, we could go up. Doesn't mean we will go up unless the team starts to be more than the sum of its parts.
  • Options
    I think you are very much in the minority Dazzler, and I am sure there are enough strong people around us now to prevent CP going soft. Yes, he is a lovely guy, but he is also an intelligent fellow. I can smell an exciting season coming up.

I hope so...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well, if we do go up you can bet your life it will only be "because the league is easy" this year. Guaranteed.
  • Options
    Are you serious? We will be mid table at Xmas and I fear the end of the season. Honestly think Powell is too "nice" for management.
    Fancy a wager?
  • Options
    oooh please sir please sir, can I have some of this wager, please??
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We've got to be more consistant in winning before we can dream about promotion , i sincerely hope the foundations are being laid , and we will continue to add to them , cant see a loan signing from the prem coming until a week or so before the transfer window shuts.
  • Options
    I genuinely don't know what to expect next season. Gut feeling is good but then it always is. Quite frankly how much worse could it be than last two seasons ?
  • Options

I am quite happy with the new players this week even put  down £50  on Charlton for Promotion odds 4-1.

And this sqaud in the last 3 seasons in my eyes is the best i seen  and lets get passionate behind chris powell

Nice de-railements of thread wp
  • Options
    Well, if we do go up you can bet your life it will only be "because the league is easy" this year. Guaranteed.

I think it'll be the toughest yet.
  • Options
    Fair do's Dazzler.

How about £20 that we're not "mid table by Xmas"? (and lets say "mid table is 9th-16th)
  • Options

Im really looking forward to this season more than any other for many years.

Dont really know anything about the ability of our signings but reading here and elsewhere they all sound promising.

Not expecting miracles but expect us to compete and if we strengthen our defence I think we could seriously challenge.  Hopefully we can get off to a good start to erase the memories of last season and build a bit of momentum to get the crowd onside.

Hopefully the new signings will be hungry and eager to impress the manager and us supporter.

Roll on August!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Excited by these signings and happy with the players gone and looking likely to leave, can't wait for this season promotion defo not a bonus this season
  • Options
    The club beginning to show that they mean business on the park.

And it's only the start by the sound of it.
  • Options
    Just need to get a few centre-backs in now...
  • Options
    Never bet against promotion. Never will.

I know this team could push on but don't believe they will.

Our first season in this league was great it had everything for 7 minutes we were in second on the last day. Hopefully it'll finish that way.

My gut just says we will fail again (though I do have gastroenteritis so that may change) LOL
  • Options
    So, the mid table bet - is it on or not?
  • Options
    baccccccccckkkkkk tracckkkkkkkkkk
  • Options

watch out for Stevenage, Chesterfield, Carlisle and Hartlepool as well as the Yorkie clubs, Preston and Scunthorpe. All these teams are filled with players who might lack the skills of Messi but will give it a right go.

As someone said above: It's not the size of the dog in the fight ......

• Options

sportingbet odds (1/4 odd for e.e. 1,2,3,)

champ: West Ham       9/2

div 1:    CAFC             14/1

div2     Gillingham        16/1 ..... looks like a tasty e.w. treble to me

And div 2, Crawley are an astounding 3/1 to be champions. Second favorites are swindon  at 10/1     

• Options
    Quite a few teams have won promotion from the Conference and then again from League 2. I think I read recently that Crawley have been spending money.
  • Options
    Quite a few teams have won promotion from the Conference and then again from League 2. I think I read recently that Crawley have been spending money.
    It just shows either the strength and financial clout of the 'new town' teams or the weakness of the older and smaller  'industrial city' teams: Cheltenham, Rushden (before the money ran out), Stevenage, even MKD, though that is a rather different scenario. Supposedly Crawley's current board is a front for some very wealthy but unnamed 'foreign businessmen'