Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Mrs D went to see  Moulin Rouge a couple of weeks ago with her sister-in-laws as part of a hen do.  She said it was ridiculously sexy and instantly banned me from ever going to see it, as she thinks I'd enjoy it too much!

We're off to see Sister Act weekend after next as part of her belated birthday celebrations when we have a rare kid-free adults day.  Have seen mixed reviews.

I use the TodayTix app.
  • The BBC are to turn ‘Dear England’ into a four parter on the telly.
    I am not sure how such an excellent very Theatrical experience can adapt.
  • Not sure if its still on but if it is and you get the chance, Dear England is incredible
  • @Blucher, what did you make of the Donmar Cherry Orchard?
  • seth plum said:
    @Blucher, what did you make of the Donmar Cherry Orchard?
    Not @Blucher Seth but I went to the Donmar last Wednesday and really enjoyed Cherry Orchard. Nina Hoss & Adeel Akhtar were excellent I thought. The short appearance and song from Alfie Tempest, the young boy actor, was really powerful too. A wide range emotions in the performance. Interesting to have the musicians on stage. First time I’ve been to the Donmar and I thought it suited the play perfectly. 
  • Yes it was my first visit and liked the space, and agree that the boy singing was a great moment.
    I am very familiar with the play, seen it many times in a lot of translations.
    I actually spoke to Nina Hoss as she was leaving. We agreed that Checkov did not include the kiss they snuck in, but I was happy to compliment Nina as to how that was done.
    She was extremely pleasant btw.
    I thought it was the best Anya I have seen and saw her as well and told her so, I also spoke to the Irish actor who played Yepikhodov and cheekily asked him if he is so clumsy how come he had neat footwork with a football.
  • Booked tickets to take my daughter to see Six next month. Anyone on here seen it?
    Yes! 3 times. 
    You’ll both love it! Took my nieces one time and shared the soundtrack with them before hand so they knew the words to some of the songs and I think that increased their enjoyment/helped them understand. 
    It’s fun, and clever. And no interval so quite (too) short! 
    Thanks Suze, she already knows all the songs off by heart. 
    The wife wants to see this. Can you tell me how long the show is on for? 
    May 2025
  • We saw Miles Jupp, "On I Bang", at The Trinity in Tonbridge Wells last night.
    Amazing how someone can stand there for 2 hours and be funny from start to finish, especially when most of the show was about his brain tumour. Not a subject most would think there was many laughs involved in there but he manages it well. 
    We'll be there next Weds to see One Man Two Guvnors. 
  • I have 2 tickets to see Babies at The Other Palace (5 mins walk from Victoria) on Tuesday 25th June. I now can't make it due to work commitments. Face value for both tickets was £50.00. Will take £25 for the pair if anyone fancies seeing it. Supposed to be really good.

https://www.whatsonstage.com/news/babies-review-musical-fans-will-go-potty-for-this-world-premiere_1605286/
  • seth plum said:
    @Blucher, what did you make of the Donmar Cherry Orchard?
    I enjoyed it Seth, particularly the second half. It was a very modern take on the play and, as Henske has said, Nina Hoss & Adeel Akhtar were excellent. I really like the Donmar because you're always close to the action.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Theatre Royal Haymarket has just announced a limited run of the Play ‘Farmhouse’ 7th-31st August. It looks interesting. Here’s the storyline:-

“It is Summer 1945. Hitler is dead, but the war in the Pacific rages on. The Allies have detained six of Germany’s leading nuclear scientists – including three Nobel Prize winners - at Farm Hall, a country house just outside Cambridge. They entertain themselves with some redacted newspapers, a broken piano and a copy of Noël Coward's Blithe Spirit. But their tranquil summer is shattered by the news that the Americans have succeeded where the Germans failed. The United States has not only built an atom bomb, but has used one against Japan. Unbeknownst to the scientists, during their stay, every inch of Farm Hall was bugged and their every reaction recorded. This play is inspired by the true events that took place at Farm Hall between July 1945 and January 1946.”
  • Sorry, my mistake. The play is called ‘Farm Hall’ not Farm house. 
  • edited June 26
    Saw MJ, the Michael Jackson musical last night. It was fantastic. We were in the very back row of the Grand Circle of the Prince Edward theatre but the view was still excellent. The main MJ performer was outstanding. Highly recommended. 10/10
  • The Constituent with James Coden and Anna Maxwell. 

A little darker than I thought it would be and only 90 mins (no interval). 

Decent enough performances but not earth shattering. Good enough but won’t get rave reviews. 

• Starlight Express at Wembley Troubadour Theatre. Wow. Takes me back to 1988-92ish when it was on at the Apollo Victoria with the track going round the audience. Must have seen it dozens of times for a fiver back in the day standing and high fiving the cast as they skated past. 
    The purpose built construction at the Troubadour lends itself well, although the updated character names and additional songs and some classic favourites been replaced I was a bit sad, but some were removed at an earlier revival already. It’s very inclusive which is brilliant and I already want to go back to watch again. I don’t think there would be a bad seat in the place although we  were near the front of a traditional ‘stall’ area so had no action behind us. It would be fantastic to sit in one of the side /on stage seats where the cast would surround you. Brilliant. And when we went in India had just finished their innings so just going to catch up on how many England won by…. 
  • Saw Babies at the Other Palace yesterday. Great fun and pretty amusing in places. Basically a load of year 11 pupils are given one of those baby simulator dolls to put them off getting pregnant!
  • Saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at Bromley tonight. Sold out and is for the rest of thr week. Brilliant show! Charlie brooks also known as Janine from Eastenders was excellent as the Child catcher.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Mrs D went to see  Moulin Rouge a couple of weeks ago with her sister-in-laws as part of a hen do.  She said it was ridiculously sexy and instantly banned me from ever going to see it, as she thinks I'd enjoy it too much!

We're off to see Sister Act weekend after next as part of her belated birthday celebrations when we have a rare kid-free adults day.  Have seen mixed reviews.

I use the TodayTix app.
    Seen the film and theatre production .. sexy? Maybe that's why I want to see again :) 
  • Saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang at Bromley tonight. Sold out and is for the rest of thr week. Brilliant show! Charlie brooks also known as Janine from Eastenders was excellent as the Child catcher.
    I'm taking my daughter to see it tomorrow night.
  • I went to see The Marilyn Conspiracy at The Park Theatre, Finsbury Park yesterday. Well worth the trip. Well acted in an intimate little theatre. The play covers the last night of Marilyn Monroe’s life and offers a ‘well researched’ scenario focussing on the strong possibility of a murder and cover-up. Tickets aren’t expensive. Running time about 2 hrs plus a 20 minute interval.
    Recommended. 
  • Sponsored links:

• We saw Kathy and Stella Solve a Murder earlier this week. 
    Not my cup of tea at all, musicals are not a favourite of mine. But the wife and friend enjoyed it. That said it was the quality production you would expect from a West end theatre. We had nice seats halfway down in the stalls so I could see the musicians play, which I enjoyed more than the actual story.

• Just seen Rhod Gilbert in Bath performing his Giant Grapefruit show as part of his 2024/25 tour. About his fight with throat cancer. Despite the seriousness of the topic, he was very funny as usual.
    Was absolutely fantastic last night. 
    Was absolutely fantastic last night. 
    My sons friend works on that show doing the rigging. 2 shows a day, he says it’s knackering. 
  • Our long awaited matinee to see Stranger Things with our grandson today.

Really enjoyed it & agree with others that the special effects were, well, special.

A great backstory for those like us who loved the 4 Netflix series.
  • edited July 17
    Not theatre as such but a really great experience. moonwalker at the light room 

• Went to see Cabaret last night. Didn’t really know much about it beforehand, but it was excellent. Loved that the show really starts the moment you walk into the theatre. 
  • se9addick said:
    Went to see Cabaret last night. Didn’t really know much about it beforehand, but it was excellent. Loved that the show really starts the moment you walk into the theatre. 
    Well worth getting the more expensive seats with a table as a one off extravagence. 

A must see IMO.
  • se9addick said:
    Went to see Cabaret last night. Didn’t really know much about it beforehand, but it was excellent. Loved that the show really starts the moment you walk into the theatre. 
    Well worth getting the more expensive seats with a table as a one off extravagence. 

A must see IMO.
    That’s what we did, was a great experience (not sure I could afford to do it regularly though!).