Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Off to see Romeo and Juliet and the Globe tonight. 
  • Options
    A forthcoming production of Romeo and Juliet has attracted abuse towards the person playing Juliet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-68778820

• Options
    Just got free NHS tickets for Sheridan Smith's musical; Opening Night. Anyone seen it so far?
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Just got free NHS tickets for Sheridan Smith's musical; Opening Night. Anyone seen it so far?
    Curious about this one. Read a few mixed reviews and suggestion it might close early BUT it was said Smith is very good it’s more the story is a bit hard to follow. 

• Options
    Reported today it is to close 2 months early. 

I assume too costly to persist. 

• Options
    Saw Peter Pan Goes Wrong (for the 2nd time) at Woking's New Vic
    Even with none of the core  Mischief cast (they're performing it on Broadway!) it is a sensationally staged and performed sophisticated slapstick tour de force
    How they pull off all the stunts on different stages every week I'll never know

Drop The Dead Donkey: The reawakening on stage is quite good fun.  All the surviving cast members are involved.  Hamilton & Jenkin's voices are loud and clear throughout.
    Some of the cast seem uncomfortable on stage.  The comedy's quite broad tending towards panto.  The night I saw, the audience was well up for a good night out, cheered everybody on stage.  The 'story' as such is pretty thin and in this post-satire-24-hour-rolling-news age DTDD's cutting edge is well blunted compared to 34 years ago.
  • Options
    Reported today it is to close 2 months early. 

I assume too costly to persist. 

Ticket sales not been great
    Big discounting not had the desired impact on numbers
    Not helped by the scene played outside the theatre each show being compromised by the sheer numbers of pissheads outside the two adjacent pubs
    Smith's performances well reviewed but the plot's the problem
    And our tabloid press's obsession with trashing SS at every opportunity won't have helped.
  • Options
    Taking my daughter tomorrow, first time we have both been there. Apparently it's an abridged version so won't be standing for hours! Really looking forward to it, hope you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Saw Peter Pan Goes Wrong (for the 2nd time) at Woking's New Vic
    Even with none of the core  Mischief cast (they're performing it on Broadway!) it is a sensationally staged and performed sophisticated slapstick tour de force
    How they pull off all the stunts on different stages every week I'll never know

Drop The Dead Donkey: The reawakening on stage is quite good fun.  All the surviving cast members are involved.  Hamilton & Jenkin's voices are loud and clear throughout.
    Some of the cast seem uncomfortable on stage.  The comedy's quite broad tending towards panto.  The night I saw, the audience was well up for a good night out, cheered everybody on stage.  The 'story' as such is pretty thin and in this post-satire-24-hour-rolling-news age DTDD's cutting edge is well blunted compared to 34 years ago.
    I'm going to see Drop The Dead Donkey next month at the Churchill, Bromley. We're really looking forward to this, it was really so cutting edge back in the day. I think I'm right in saying the only  character not original is Henry  who sadly is no longer. The ending of the series; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRnZYW74qY

Off to see The Fast show this weekend, another classic.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    We saw it. Sheridan is good the play is awful. Script and staging the problem. Not surprised if is closing early 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Taking my daughter tomorrow, first time we have both been there. Apparently it's an abridged version so won't be standing for hours! Really looking forward to it, hope you enjoyed it.
    Being honest, it was ok but no more than that. Always nice to watch in the Globe though.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Being honest, it was ok but no more than that. Always nice to watch in the Globe though.
    Really enjoyed it! Like the whole immersive experience. The Sam Wanamaker theatre next to it is good for that as well
  • Options
    Standing at the Skys Edge 9/10

Two Strangers carry a cake across New York 8/10
  • Options
    Nye at the National Theatre. A rush through most of his life when slowing down and picking on one or two bits might have been better. All a bit 'let's worship the NHS' rather than anything challenging (and I'm not anti the NHS but good plays need some conflict resolution and there isn't much of that here). 6/10. 
  • Options
    Opening Night - 2.5 hours of my life I will never get back again. I feared the worst but, my God, it it was awful. I can't even say that I thought Sheridan Smith was particularly good in her role either. Both Mrs M and I would put it in our bottom 3 shows of all time. 2/10
  • Options
    edited April 17
    kimbo said:

This feels like a show I should be seeing and reviews, like yours, all seem to be extremely positive but I've watched clips and it's not enthusing me for some reason which is weird as I do love a musical.

• Options
    Am tempted by Opening Night, see if it's as much of a car crash as everyone says. 
  • Options
    Am tempted by Opening Night, see if it's as much of a car crash as everyone says. 
    I strongly recommend you don't unless you are the sort of person who thought the Cats movie with James Corden was the mutts nuts!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    kimbo said:

This feels like a show I should be seeing and reviews, like yours, all seem to be extremely positive but I've watched clips and it's not enthusing me for some reason which is weird as I do love a musical.

Do you like Richard Hawley? We loved it. So clever and a story well told 
  • Options
    kimbo said:
    meldrew66 said:
    kimbo said:

Do you like Richard Hawley? We loved it. So clever and a story well told 
    Richard Hawley is the main reason I am going to see this in May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Stranger Things yesterday, fantastic production, snooze inducing story. 
    Worth a look but only if you can get a deal on the tix
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Saw Stranger Things yesterday, fantastic production, snooze inducing story. 
    Worth a look but only if you can get a deal on the tix
    I would have found it very hard to snooze during that production! 
  • Options
    Saw '\Opening Night' and 'A Mirror' last week. Both were disappointing. Had low expectations for the former but didn't like it at all. I'm a Johnny Lee Miller fan so had high hopes for 'A Mirror' but, again, found it rather underwhelming. Maybe I'm just on a bad run.
  • Options
    London Tide. One for PJ Harvey completists, I would say, a rather odd play that consists of lots of narration and exposition and dialogue in some sort of stilted 'Victorian' delivery. The songs are mostly dirge like and consist of things like 'London isn't England' and 'London is dirty'. I think she's from the West Country, it shows. 
  • Options
    Red Pitch. Three young aspiring football trialists. I think we get a mention. Held the attention for 90m without an interval. 
  • Options
    I saw Jonathan Pie's Hero's and Villains last week. I thought it was Ok but the wife hated it.
    It remined me of Ben Elton on speed.
  • Options
    London Tide. One for PJ Harvey completists, I would say, a rather odd play that consists of lots of narration and exposition and dialogue in some sort of stilted 'Victorian' delivery. The songs are mostly dirge like and consist of things like 'London isn't England' and 'London is dirty'. I think she's from the West Country, it shows. 
    Oh, that's a shame. Seeing this on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Got a few coming up in the next 2/3 weeks:

Kathy & Stella Solve a Murder - fringe production which has moved to the West End
    Fun at the Beach - Romp - Bomp - Alomp (sounds great and is billed as mixture of Baywatch and Squid Game) - at Southwark Playhouse
    Standing at the Sky's Edge - been on the list for a while and finally got a decent deal on tickets
  • Options
    Where do you get deals for west end tickets, just retired and the wife wants to go, thought matinee’s would be cheaper but I was wrong.
  • Options
    Start at https://officiallondontheatre.com/tkts/ which is the proper online version of the booth in Leicester Square. Tickets go on sale daily at 00:01 for that day. However it's mostly shows that, you know, aren't selling that well. An app called TodayTix is ok.