Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Been to Dear England tonight. V good. Slightly bemused by the fact that there were only ever 10 or 8 or 9 players on stage / in the team. No wonder we struggle to win anything! 
    Exactly my musing too, Weegie ! 

I kept counting how many were on stage & am pretty sure there was 11 at one point, but in general, just 9 or 10. 
  • Options
    Not traditional theatre, but on the way home from an evening with Irvine Welsh and John Niven. Celebrating 30 years since Trainspotting was first published. Great night. Could have done with subtitles at times, but Irvine is a seriously funny/interesting guy.
    Gutted. Seriously. I bought a trainspotting when it came out. Still have it in the original cover. Then saw the play in a small theatre up town. Have every book Welsh has written. 

As I’ve bored everyone before John Niven is my favourite author by a mile. 

How did you hear about this mate.  

Would love to have gone. 
  • Options
    Not traditional theatre, but on the way home from an evening with Irvine Welsh and John Niven. Celebrating 30 years since Trainspotting was first published. Great night. Could have done with subtitles at times, but Irvine is a seriously funny/interesting guy.
    Gutted. Seriously. I bought a trainspotting when it came out. Still have it in the original cover. Then saw the play in a small theatre up town. Have every book Welsh has written. 

Would love to have gone. 

Tickets were sold through the Dice App.  I have alerts set for new tickets going on sale and they just popped up on there. The venue itself was a bit shit (Earth in Hackney) but it was a great night and John Niven was an excellent host.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Would love to have gone. 

Tickets were sold through the Dice App.  I have alerts set for new tickets going on sale and they just popped up on there. The venue itself was a bit shit (Earth in Hackney) but it was a great night and John Niven was an excellent host.
    Cheers mate. 

Very jealous.  Maybe I’ll get that App.  This site is the only app/social media I go on, mainly through principle. Looks like I’m missing out. 
  • Options
    Did Irvine say what his favourite book he’d written was?

marabou stork nightmares for me. 
  • Options
    Did Irvine say what his favourite book he’d written was?

marabou stork nightmares for me. 

No the chat was all centred around Trainspotting. From conception, to publishing. Then lotss of talk about the film and stage shows.
  • Options
    Saw Stranger Things First Shadow today. No spoilers.
    Firstly, if you struggle with your bladder it's not the show for you. It's long. Very long. First act 90mins and second 75mins.
    Story was great and worked very well as a prequel. Special effects very good, but not as spectacular as I had been led to believe.
    First act was a bit bloated and could probably have been 10 mins shorter.
    All in all well worth seeing if you are a fan, but suspect it won't have the longevity of the Harry Potter Show.
  • Options
    Firstly, if you struggle with your bladder it's not the show for you. It's long. Very long. First act 90mins and second 75mins.
    Story was great and worked very well as a prequel. Special effects very good, but not as spectacular as I had been led to believe.
    All in all well worth seeing if you are a fan, but suspect it won't have the longevity of the Harry Potter Show.
    Saw it tonight, thought it was incredible. Some of the special effects are unprecedented.

Also saw Six this week. That was very enjoyable nonsense. 
  • Options
    Going in February ... can't wait
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Going in February ... can't wait
    My memory is rubbish, so I’d recommend re-watching the last series of Stranger Things (or at least the last few episodes) before you go. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Crazy for You this week. Was great. 

Assume everyone know about cheap tickets from Central Tickets?
  • Options
    Just saw "Peter Pan goes wrong" with the kids. Some of the main mischief cast in it. Absolutely hilarious. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Just saw "Peter Pan goes wrong" with the kids. Some of the main mischief cast in it. Absolutely hilarious. 
    It’s very funny like all of their stuff 
  • Options
    We went to see ‘Guys and Dolls’ at the Bridge Theatre last weekend and thought it was excellent. Nicholas Hytner’s immersive production - with the removal of the stalls and hundreds of the audience standing around the stage - created a great atmosphere. Highly recommended.

A nice festive atmosphere around there as well, with Tower Bridge and the Shard lit up.
  • Options
    Saw ‘She Stoops to Conquer’ at The Orange Tree Theatre in Richmond this week. An excellent production and ensemble cast, including one Greta Scacchi.

I didn’t appreciate that it was her until my wife pointed it out, although in mitigation, it is a long time since she appeared in films like ‘Heat and Dust’, ‘White Mischief’ and ‘The Player’. I believe she also turned down the lead role in ‘Basic Instinct’ before it was offered to Sharon Stone.
  • Options
    Can highly recommend Operation Mincemeat (musical) at Fortune theatre- funny/poignant/witty/original and great fun.  I’ve been twice now ! - if you sign up to the mailing list you get first choice for ticket which are very reasonably priced on Mon/Tues
  • Options
    Going tonight
  • Options
    Off to see Les Miserable, although I think that could have been most on here last night.
  • Options
    Went to two pantos this week (oh no you didn’t…oh yes I did). Dick Whittington at the Esher theatre and Sleeping Beauty Takes a Prick at the Charing Cross Theatre. Two very different types of pantos but both were a good evening’s entertainment.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw the Unfriend for the second time a couple of days ago. My daughter wanted to see it and I was interested in seeing how the cast changes worked as the original lead roll was brilliantly played by Reece Sheersmith. Lee Mack was good and better at the pure comedy, but overall preferred Reece.

Off to see the Little Big Things at Soho Place next week. Big fan of the book.
  • Options
    The Motive and the Cue. 

Proper theatre. It’s a play about (rehearsing for) a play. 

The lead actors very believable as John Geilgud and Richard Burton. 

Very dialogue heavy and maybe 20 mins too long but very good nonetheless. 

7/10. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Going tonight
    Loved it, incredible special effects, so well done 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Going tonight
    Brilliant isn’t it. Did you re-watch the last season before you went?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Going tonight
    No, had to do a quick brain storming session reading through the program 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DA9 said:
    se9addick said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Going tonight
    No, had to do a quick brain storming session reading through the program 
    Think I’ll do that when I go in February …. Updated myself on Wiki which has helped 
  • Options
    I went to see Backstage Billie last night. A few laughs but not as funny as I thought it would be. 

• Options
    Sunset Blvd at The Savoy. Wow.
    I would urge anyone to see it but it closes on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Last minute decision to take my daughter to see Frozen tomorrow. All I need to do now is find an Elsa dress that fits me.
  • Options
    Last minute decision to take my daughter to see Frozen tomorrow. All I need to do now is find an Elsa dress that fits me.
    Did you have tickets for Stranger Things, DM ?