Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Anyone got any tips for cheap tickets?  Is TodayTix the best bet?
    Register for Central Tickets too. Not always going to find something but occasionally good offers. 
  • Patriots - excellent. 

Accidental death of an anarchist- old fashioned farce style. Fun and not overly serious. 

We will rock you (now with Ben Elton) - ok; but had cheap tickets. Wouldn’t pay too much for this. 

Saw Accidental Death of an Anarchist at the Lyric in Hammersmith a few months ago. Loved it. I thought amongst the farce there was actually quite a serious dig at the Met.
    Yes,I quite enjoyed it too but wasn’t expecting such a strong ‘political’ statement at the end - felt like a party political broadcast!
  • Patriots - excellent. 

Accidental death of an anarchist- old fashioned farce style. Fun and not overly serious. 

We will rock you (now with Ben Elton) - ok; but had cheap tickets. Wouldn’t pay too much for this. 

Saw Accidental Death of an Anarchist at the Lyric in Hammersmith a few months ago. Loved it. I thought amongst the farce there was actually quite a serious dig at the Met.
    Take your point. I didn’t express myself very well. Yes a serious message but enjoyable to watch without that agenda. 
    I thought the lead actor was outstanding. I’ll always be in awe of actors who can deliver such powerful performances with a ridiculous amount of dialogue, activity and energy as he did so successfully. Wow. I needed a lie down on his behalf when I got home.
  • Enjoyed Mrs Doubtfire recently. Very true to the original film and the lead actor followed in Robin Williams’ footsteps impressively. The music was decent if not overly memorable. I think it’s not selling as well as they hoped going by the amount of ongoing publicity they continue to give it. 7/10
  • Hated Aspects of Love, which was both surprising and disappointing. The style of singing everything to each other throughout didn’t work for me. The operatic style clearly isn’t my thing. It felt very, very long and I was glad when it ended. Shame.
    ‘Tickets for good’ : Anyone working for the NHS or charities can sign up for free or very cheap tickets to various live events such as West End Theatre, local theatre, festivals and concerts etc. I’ve used them loads of times including Ed Sheeran @ Wembley for £3.95, countless theatre performances in London and Bromley/Dartford and festivals such as Soultasia.
    Anyone got any tips for cheap tickets?  Is TodayTix the best bet?
    Today tix is superb for securing great seats at bargain prices if you buy on the day using their ‘Rush Tickets’ option where available but you have to accept that you might have to be relaxed about the fact that you might not be successful getting them.
  • meldrew66 said:
    Patriots - excellent. 

Take your point. I didn’t express myself very well. Yes a serious message but enjoyable to watch without that agenda. 
    I thought the lead actor was outstanding. I’ll always be in awe of actors who can deliver such powerful performances with a ridiculous amount of dialogue, activity and energy as he did so successfully. Wow. I needed a lie down on his behalf when I got home.
    a

I said much the same thing too at home. A lot to learn and nearly all delivered at pace.
  • Saw the touring version of The Mousetrap today with the Mrs and my 12 yo. We loved it! Couple of people I'd heard of (mark from EastEnders and Duffy from casualty) but everyone was great. Never seen it before, wondering what it's like when you know who did it, but fancy seeing it at the original theatre 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2023
    We saw ‘The Motive and the Cue’ yesterday at the National. 
    It’s a dramatisation of John Gielgud’s 1964 direction of a stripped-back Broadway production of Hamlet, starring Richard Burton. Sam Mendes directs Johnny Flynn as the volatile Burton, Mark Gatiss as Gielgud and Tuppence Middleton as Elizabeth Taylor.
    The run at the National ends this month but the play is transferring to the Noel Coward Theatre for 15 weeks in December. 
    I thought it was very good, with an outstanding turn from Mark Gatiss.
  • Going to see Dear England at the National the night of our PSF against Millwall.
  • Dear England is decent, a bit too much exposition at the start to keep non football fans involved but good despite the lack of the ending we all wanted.

Guys and Dolls is worth an evening of everyone's time, sit in the front part of the lower section if you can. 
  • `Went to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday, Dear England on Wednesday

• Bleak Expectations at the Criterion next week. 

Guest was originally Jo Brand but now going to be Hugh Dennis. 
  • edited July 2023
    I am shocked to realise that until yesterday I hadn’t been to the Theatre since before the lockdowns, until last night.
    Pico of this parish and I missed the Millwall fun to go to the National Theatre to see Dear England.
    I recommend it, there isn’t a spoiler for it, but it is a story of redemption predicated on penalties, starting with that Southgate miss.
    Great to see a play, but even better it was a large cast in a big space with good creative input from all arms of the production. It had both humour and pathos and for those aware of recent history, particularly in football, there were lots of good reference points.
    One great aspect of the experience was the sold out audience. So mixed, with a much greater proportion of young people than you usually see at the National. Standing ovation from 50%.
    It might have been more sharply edited, a long show, however on the Setheatreometer I would give it eight out of ten.
  • seth plum said:
    I am shocked to realise that until yesterday I hadn’t been to the Theatre since before the lockdowns, until last night.
    Pico of this parish and I missed the Millwall fun to go to the National Theatre to see Dear England.
    I recommend it, there isn’t a spoiler for it, but it is a story of redemption predicated on penalties, starting with that Southgate miss.
    Great to see a play, but even better it was a large cast in a big space with good creative input from all arms of the production. It had both humour and pathos and for those aware of recent history, particularly in football, there were lots of good reference points.
    One great aspect of the experience was the sold out audience. So mixed, with a much greater proportion of young people than you usually see at the National. Standing ovation from 50%.
    It might have been more sharply edited, a long show, however on the Setheatreometer I would give it eight out of ten.
    Good to hear, Seth. We have tickets for the matinee on 9 August, so will be heading back early from Newport that morning.
  • Saw The Crown Jewells with Al Murray, Mel Giedroyc, Joe Thomas and Carrie Hope-Fletcher on Monday. Was ok, 6/10. Some belly laughs and the audience interaction was good, but it felt a bit unfinished and was too Carry On Film in places for my liking.
  • seth plum said:
    We were at the same showing for that Seth,  I enjoyed it a lot, Joseph Fiennes' Southgate was spot on, everything from the hands in pockets mannerisms to the way of speaking. There's a lot of caricatures of people in the play but it does contextualise that at certain points. It was funnier than I thought it would be and it drew a cleverer conclusion than I expected. Good night out.
  • The Third Man at The Chocolate Menier Theatre, was just ok. Bonus for me was Derek Griffiths in one of the roles

Groundhog Day at the The Old Vic, I really enjoyed this, some good laughs

• Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited July 2023
    Saw Dr Semmelweis with Mark Rylance and Pauline McLynn at the Harold Pinter yesterday, incredible, go see it, runs until October.
    First and probably only time I will get to see an Oscar winner perform live.
  • edited August 2023
    Went to see La Cage aux Folles at the open theatre in Regents Park. What a fantastic production. Highly recommended.

• seth plum said:
    We were at the same showing for that Seth,  I enjoyed it a lot, Joseph Fiennes' Southgate was spot on, everything from the hands in pockets mannerisms to the way of speaking. There's a lot of caricatures of people in the play but it does contextualise that at certain points. It was funnier than I thought it would be and it drew a cleverer conclusion than I expected. Good night out.
    We saw 'Dear England ' last night and thought it was very good.

I love Gina McKee who plays psychologist Dr Pippa Grange. It was a nice surprise to see her, as most of the publicity seems to be about Joseph Fiennes.

I highly recommend the play. I hope it goes on a national tour.
  • Amazingly, I don’t think I’ve been to see a play before - at least in my adult years.

That changes tomorrow with a visit to the National Theatre for ‘Dear England’. Glad to hear the reviews on here are positive. 
  • Hope you enjoy it! Took me a while to get into theatre but when it's done well it really draws you in
  • edited August 2023
    Went to see Crazy for You at the Gillian Lynn. A birthday present from folks. Didn’t know much about it other than Charlie Stemp is the lead and he’s a local lad and doing v well in theatre land. Enjoyed it. Wasn’t sure at the start as a bit slapstick Norman wisdom / frank spencer esque but enjoyed it more as it went on its got some very funny /clever bits, and then didn’t want the dancing to end. 
  • Saw Operation Mincemeat at the Fortune Theatre last night. Been on my "want to see" list for a while. Finally found a day when the ticket prices came down a little bit. Absolutely brilliant. Fantastic cast all playing multiple roles. First time I have seen an entire audience standing ovation for a long while. It has numerous 5 star reviews and really didn't disappoint. 
  • edited August 2023
    And Cuckoo at The Royal Court this evening. Darkest of dark humour and bloody bleak in places. Well worth the £15 ticket price.
  • edited August 2023
    The wife got tickets for The Wizard of Oz at the Palladium last week and I went along. The positives were some great voices and an energetic production. Toto being a puppet worked and you get used to it quickly. Negatives for me was the scarecrow was portrayed as a bit thick which misses the point of the story for me. The munchkins were normal sized (maybe they could have been puppets like the dog) and the witch didn't have any menace at all which was a key strength of the film. Still, it was enjoyable enough due to a talented cast. Glinda's voice stood out amongst some great voices.

Having said all that, I think some touches in the production missed the mark so I can't give it more than a 6.5 out of 10. It stays close to the original in many aspects but where it veers away, with say some modernity in the props and sets, it loses rather than gains IMO. For me, a key part of the story is that the scarecrow demonstrates he is the brains of the outfit, the tin man shows compassion and the Lion shows courage. This is lost a bit especially with the scarecrow which for me is a tad unforgiveable.

Lastly, the production was knocking on the door of being too loud without actually opening it which I liked. Some of those songs need to be belted at you. There are some new songs too which you can tell have been added. They are neither good nor bad, but the production doesn't need them. I think Andrew Lloyd Webber adapted this and I get a sense that he never really paid attention to the details of the film but maybe I am too anal when it comes to these things.
  • I took the wife to see Grease about a year ago and this too veered well away from the film.
    A lot of the characters were unrecognisable and they left out major parts such as the car race.
    We were quite disappointed.