Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    For anyone who goes to the Palladium Panto tickets are on sale on Thursday 27th April 

This year is Peter Pan and the cast will be led by Jennifer Saunders who will be playing Captain Hook!
    Got 2nd row for Saturday 23rd.
    Blimey how much did that cost mate?!
    £95 per ticket. Third row was more expensive, as it’s marginally higher up. However we’ve sat in both rows and I had exactly the same seats a couple of years ago and couldn’t tell any difference. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    For anyone who goes to the Palladium Panto tickets are on sale on Thursday 27th April 

This year is Peter Pan and the cast will be led by Jennifer Saunders who will be playing Captain Hook!
    They’ve really put their prices up this year. The same front row, Grand Circle ticket/seat I paid £29 each of the last 3 years is £67 this year. Wow! I managed to get a less central, not as good view ticket in the same row for £35 though on Sunday 17th December. No way am I paying crazy prices for a panto, no matter how funny they may be. It’s a bloody panto!
    Oh yes you will 
  • Options
    I’ve also booked for The Orchard panto again, had such a great time last year. Not announced the cast yet though hopefully Booby Davro will be back again.
  • Options
    Saw Village Idiot at Stratford East on Tuesday. Very very good. Not for you if you aren't fan of fruity language. Basically the story of a fictional Northamptonshire Village fighting back against the Compulsory Purchase Orders issued to allow HS2 to progress. The Theatre Company behind it are Ramps on the Moon who champion roles for deaf and disabled actors. There is a kind of comedy Romeo and Juliet sub plot in this and the lead roles are played by a girl with Down Syndrome and a boy who is partially deaf and has autism - both were brilliant. Really funny. Loads of £10 tickets available if it sounds like your sort of thing.
  • Options
    Went to Esher Theatre last night to see a City of Dreams. It’s a work in progress performance but a good idea.

• Options
    And I enjoyed this local wine.

• Options
    I’ve also booked for The Orchard panto again, had such a great time last year. Not announced the cast yet though hopefully Booby Davro will be back again.
     You just can't help yourself, can you?
  • Options
    Bleak Expectations at The Criterion for me next week.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Saw Ain’t Too Proud (Temptations life story musical) on Saturday. 8/10. Big, full theatre near Leicester Square, great atmosphere, story and music. Picked up excellent £90 tickets in the stalls for £30 ‘rush’ tickets via TodayTickets. Great value and a good night out on what was one of the busiest nights in London I’ve ever experienced. You could hardly walk the pavements, it was so crowded.
  • Options
    Next up, Bonnie and Clyde on Saturday 6th May
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Saw Ain’t Too Proud (Temptations life story musical) on Saturday. 8/10. Big, full theatre near Leicester Square, great atmosphere, story and music. Picked up excellent £90 tickets in the stalls for £30 ‘rush’ tickets via TodayTickets. Great value and a good night out on what was one of the busiest nights in London I’ve ever experienced. You could hardly walk the pavements, it was so crowded.
     I saw this. Couldn’t understand how a Harold  Melvin song found its way in. However, fantastic show with a really talented cast. The Temps didn’t dance quite like they did in the show, but they have to make the show entertaining. The Temps story is a real rollercoaster and it’s always surprising how early on David Ruffin left and Paul Williams died. Great show, will run and run. 
  • Options
    masicat said:
    meldrew66 said:
     I saw this. Couldn’t understand how a Harold  Melvin song found its way in. However, fantastic show with a really talented cast. The Temps didn’t dance quite like they did in the show, but they have to make the show entertaining. The Temps story is a real rollercoaster and it’s always surprising how early on David Ruffin left and Paul Williams died. Great show, will run and run. 
    Agreed. If I’m honest, I wasn’t convinced by the guy playing David Ruffin. Didn’t come across vocally as strong as Ruffin clearly was to justify the upset/impact when he originally left the group.
  • Options
    Bleak Expectations at The Criterion for me next week.
    Don’t go then 
  • Options

Got 2nd row for Saturday 23rd.
    Our kids have booked this for us on December 21st for our 45th wedding anniversary present (mind you didn’t half have to do some subtle hints ended up by sending them the booking form) must remember to look surprise when the big day arrives😀.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Sadly we had tickets for the matinee which got cancelled with an 1 hour notice due to cast sickness. Rebooked for a few weeks time. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    meldrew66 said:
    Sadly we had tickets for the matinee which got cancelled with an 1 hour notice due to cast sickness. Rebooked for a few weeks time. 
    Was that the Saturday matinee? The evening performance started 20 mins late with long queues outside which did make me wonder why. If so, looks like our performance was nearly cancelled too then and possibly explains the Ruffin stand in as it wasn’t Tosh Wanogho-Maud.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Was that the Saturday matinee? The evening performance started 20 mins late with long queues outside which did make me wonder why. If so, looks like our performance was nearly cancelled too then and possibly explains the Ruffin stand in as it wasn’t Tosh Wanogho-Maud.
    Yes. This Saturday just gone. Hence your stand in it would seem. 
  • Options
    I’m going to the Kingston Rose Theatre on 11th May to seethe matinee performance of Shakey’s Richard III. It’s directed and starring Adjoa Andoh. I can’t say I’m really looking forward to it as I’m not into Shakey’s work. Maybe because i is thick 🤓

Anybody else not into Shakespeare’s stuff?🧐
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    masicat said:
    meldrew66 said:
    Agreed. If I’m honest, I wasn’t convinced by the guy playing David Ruffin. Didn’t come across vocally as strong as Ruffin clearly was to justify the upset/impact when he originally left the group.
    Yes totally agree. I suppose it would be impossible to find anyone that could sing anywhere near as good as David Ruffin. Real Temps fans could always spot things that aren’t right, but they are trying to put together a show to suit a cross section. 
    With regards to Melvin Franklin, you might have a deep voice, doesn’t mean you can sing like Melvin. 
    Nit picking now, wouldn’t want to put anyone off of seeing a great show. 
  • Options
    Saw Pillowman at the Duke of York this afternoon. Lily Allen, Steve Pemberton and Paul Kaye were the stars.

Was excellent. Very dark humour. Really enjoyed it. Tickets are sparse and aren't cheap but would highly recommend it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Pillowman at the Duke of York this afternoon. Lily Allen, Steve Pemberton and Paul Kaye were the stars.

Was excellent. Very dark humour. Really enjoyed it. Tickets are sparse and aren't cheap but would highly recommend it.
    Going to see it in a couple of weekends 
  • Options
    Patriots - excellent. 

Accidental death of an anarchist- old fashioned farce style. Fun and not overly serious. 

We will rock you (now with Ben Elton) - ok; but had cheap tickets. Wouldn’t pay too much for this. 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Have tickets for the La Cage aux folle at Regents Park open air theatre at the end of July. 
  • Options
    Got tickets to see The Crown Jewels when we are back in August. I wanted to see Pillowman, The Crucible or Dr Semmelweis but the missus wanted something a bit lighter... 
  • Options
    Got tickets to see The Crown Jewels when we are back in August. I wanted to see Pillowman, The Crucible or Dr Semmelweis but the missus wanted something a bit lighter... 

Got tickets to see The Crown Jewels in July. Should be pretty good. Also going to see Bleak Expectations with Tom Allen as the narrator, in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Patriots - excellent. 

Accidental death of an anarchist- old fashioned farce style. Fun and not overly serious. 

We will rock you (now with Ben Elton) - ok; but had cheap tickets. Wouldn’t pay too much for this. 

Saw Accidental Death of an Anarchist at the Lyric in Hammersmith a few months ago. Loved it. I thought amongst the farce there was actually quite a serious dig at the Met.
  • Options
    Seeing the Crown Jewels in September, decent cast.
  • Options
    Saw Guys and Dolls at the Bridge theatre a couple of weeks ago, it was truly excellent.
  • Options
    Patriots - excellent. 

Saw Accidental Death of an Anarchist at the Lyric in Hammersmith a few months ago. Loved it. I thought amongst the farce there was actually quite a serious dig at the Met.
    Take your point. I didn’t express myself very well. Yes a serious message but enjoyable to watch without that agenda. 
  • Options
    hmmoore said:
    Saw Guys and Dolls at the Bridge theatre a couple of weeks ago, it was truly excellent.
    Might check it out. A very good venue I think.