Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Saw 2.22 this evening with the new cast. Was very good, just a bit unfortunate that I guessed the twist about five mins before the interval.
  • Options
    Saw Bad Jews last week.

Not a comedy and not as side-splittingly funny as some reviews would have you believe but not without a fair degree of humour and it got you thinking. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    seth plum said:
    Theatre is frequently supposed to be challenging and controversial.
    I knew that eleven years ago when I started this humble thread.
    It is not unexpected.
    However it is supposed to be a thread directly related to Theatrical experience, most especially live events. I reckon it is fine to discuss the challenging nature of content experienced, but to introduce unsubstantiated generalisation on this thread does not suit it’s purpose.
    To describe and dismiss for example the work of Samuel Beckett as leftist propaganda, or part of some kind of non defined ‘woke’ agenda, would be the action of a stupid person unprepared to think their way out of their crass stupidity.
    There’s a reason why there are few plays pedalling a right wing, ant-woke agenda. It’s because of market forces. Same with right wing comics. There are one or two, but generally there aren't enough people out there willing to part with their hard earned cash to watch them. 
    There just aren’t enough @ValleyOfTears types to sustain ‘anti-woke’ theatre either, and probably never will be. Didn’t Jim Davidson lose shedloads of cash writing and producing a play about how hard it is being a right wing comic? People voted with their feet, unfortunately for our Jim. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Saw Bad Jews last week.

Not a comedy and not as side-splittingly funny as some reviews would have you believe but not without a fair degree of humour and it got you thinking. 

Enjoyed it when I saw it a few weeks ago. Cast were excellent.
  • Options
    Just home from To Kill a Mockingbird.

TBH, it was a masterpiece of theatre IMO. 

I honestly don't have the words to express how this blew me away & the fact that everyone stood up as one to applaud the actors at the end said it all.

PLEASE try to take this in before the end of the run. 

You won't regret it. 
  • Options

I honestly don't have the words to express how this blew me away & the fact that everyone stood up as one to applaud the actors at the end said it all.

You won't regret it. 
    Nice to hear a raving recommendation. Its one of my favourite books and so I must go and see the theatre production.
  • Options
    Going to Moulin Rouge early next month. Any good?
    Look out for the lampshades my friend made them 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

You won't regret it. 
    Nice to hear a raving recommendation. Its one of my favourite books and so I must go and see the theatre production.
    I went yesterday for the matinee performance. It was an excellent piece of theatre.
  • Options
    I’m tempted on going to see The Upstart Crow as it does seem to have good reviews. However, I checked out an excerpt from the tv series and i was not that impressed with the constant gag line. Has anyone see the theatre production and can recommend?

PS: I don’t mind Ben Elton’s humour but I can’t eat a whole one. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Moulin Rouge was quite slick and good if you don't compare it with the film. Lots of new songs added, some work and some don't. I was disapointed The Show Must Go On was removed. The key scene to the story where Christian persuades Satine that they should be lovers was messed about with and played for laughs which to me shows a lack of understanding on the importance of the scene in terms of the narrative.

The Duke couldn't supply the menace that Andy Roxburgh did in the film and there wasn't the same chemistry with the leads although both had great voices. Toulouse Lautrec was good, as was Ziedler. I did think it would be hard to replicate the film and I suppose it explains why this was as it was and it was definitely entertaining. If you don't love the film you might love this. If you love the film and can get over the differences, you might love it too.

To summarise, a very slick well performed parody. The set was excellent and deserving of praise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    I’m tempted on going to see The Upstart Crow as it does seem to have good reviews. However, I checked out an excerpt from the tv series and i was not that impressed with the constant gag line. Has anyone see the theatre production and can recommend?

Got tickets for Monday.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Got tickets for Monday.
    I’ve just booked for Wednesday.
  • Options
    We saw Grease last week. 3rd time. 
    Don't bother booking if you're expecting to see Grease. 6 new meh songs. Didn't sing all the old songs. Many I felt were miscast.
    Average at best. 
  • Options
    Saw Joe Lycett at Wembley Arena this evening. Was very funny.
  • Options
    Don't bother booking if you're expecting to see Grease. 6 new meh songs. Didn't sing all the old songs. Many I felt were miscast.
    Average at best. 
    I caught Shane Richie’s comb when he threw it into the audience way back in the 90’s when I saw it, does “Danny” still do this at the end?
  • Options
    Saw Joe Lycett at Wembley Arena this evening. Was very funny.
    Going tonight
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Average at best. 
    I caught Shane Richie’s comb when he threw it into the audience way back in the 90’s when I saw it, does “Danny” still do this at the end?
    No. They didn't even 'do up' the car or sing Grease Lightning. There was no race.
    I thought it was poor. 
  • Options
    Saw "Good Luck, Studio" last night. It's been written by and starring the mischief theatre company who do "goes wrong show" and "the play that goes wrong". It's a lot darker than any of those, but still has the same blend of chaos and slapstick. 

Very funny in places. Seems to be stating off as a national tour but recommended if it goes to a place near you 
  • Options
    Got tickets for Marvellous (Neil Baldwin story) which is the first show at the theatre opening on Tottenham Court Road. Also saw Upstart Crow a couple of weeks ago which was great.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Saw "Good Luck, Studio" last night. It's been written by and starring the mischief theatre company who do "goes wrong show" and "the play that goes wrong". It's a lot darker than any of those, but still has the same blend of chaos and slapstick. 

Very funny in places. Seems to be stating off as a national tour but recommended if it goes to a place near you 

Going to see this in Guilford. Has had very good reviews. Henry Shiels is an excellent writer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Saw this at The Criterion this evening. Absolutely brilliant. Very funny and equally dark.

Reece Shearsmith is fantastic and completely steals the show.

Its only on for 3 months. If you get a chance, see it.

• Options
    Done Tosca, Moulin Rouge, Newsies and Matthew Bournes Sleeping Beauty in the last month, enjoyed them all but Book of Mormon next week is what I’m looking forward too
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Done Tosca, Moulin Rouge, Newsies and Matthew Bournes Sleeping Beauty in the last month, enjoyed them all but Book of Mormon next week is what I’m looking forward too

Seen Book of Mormon twice. Hilarious.
  • Options
    Went to (another) panto this weekend, Little Red Riding Hood at the Eltham Bob Hope Theatre. About 10 times cheaper than The Pallidum panto but very good.
  • Options
    Since we retired in April we have done loads of theatre. Tomorrow we are at Bromley to see Steel Magnolias*, Six next week, Hamilton next month and Simon & Garfunkel experience at Bromley.

Suddenly enjoying theatre!
  • Options
    Went to (another) panto this weekend, Little Red Riding Hood at the Eltham Bob Hope Theatre. About 10 times cheaper than The Pallidum panto but very good.

Took my daughter to see Alladin there about 10 years ago. I got in trouble as the old bloke playing Jasmine's dad was hopeless and like a robot, literally pissed myself laughing everytime he spoke!
  • Options
    Going to see Only fools & horses at the weekend. Anyone here seen it and if so, will it live up to expectations? 

Apologies if someone has already posted regarding this, but I'm far too lazy to scroll through 28 pages 
  • Options
    Going to see Only fools & horses at the weekend. Anyone here seen it and if so, will it live up to expectations? 

Apologies if someone has already posted regarding this, but I'm far too lazy to scroll through 28 pages 
    It’s very good, we loved it.
  • Options

Is it new material, or from the TV show?
  • Options

Is it new material, or from the TV show?
    It’s a new story but lines and some situations from the show have been written in.