Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst and Best Moment in Charlton's history

2»

Comments

• Options
    Best for the club:  Coming back to The Valley.
    Best I Witnessed in person: Beating Sunderland at Wembley 

Worst for the club: Being minutes away from financial extinction.
    Worst for the club that I was there to witness:  Last game at The Valley.  
    Worst for me personally: First time I went to watch us at Selhurst; Aston Villa in 1990.  Got lost on the way.  Arrived a little late; exactly 3 minutes after kick off.  Somehow bought tickets for the wrong end.  In the 4th minute Villa scored.  Had to stand amongst the  Villa fans for the next 86 mins thinking, wtf am I doing here?  Especially bad when McLoughlin scored an og.

Worst televised performance: Northwich Vic 
  • Options
    remeberwithout picking obvious moments.

best-
    beat palarse at selhurst in 2007, what an atmosphere we created that day, was sheer dominance by the away crowd.

man united away in 94, was only 7 but remember being completely overwhelmed by the whole day as it was the first time i'd seen players you see on the tele (i.e giggs, ince and bruce) in the flesh.

nicky bailey putting us 3-2 up at home to millwall, actually gave myself a migrain celebrating. unfortunately no happy ending but at the time i thought that would be the winner.

benno's winner at carlise, the furthest i had been to watch charlton before that day was manchester/liverpool. was so pissed and to go that far and see a game like that was unbelievable.

peterboro away was a memorable day last season also, wear im now in my 20s i appreciate the away trips more, albeit they be to teams like tranmere etc.

worst-
    4-0 at the den left a lump in my throat for weeks, also going to a party that evening with 3 or 4 of my millwall supporting mates.

remember being upset as a kid when we lost to palace in the 95/96 playoffs

baileys penalty

relegation from the prem was hard, especially as ive always hated tottenham.
  • Options
    Best- Beating Leicester at Upton park

Worst- Losing to Wycombe in the League Cup
  • Options
    Best- Play off final at Wembley against Sunderland

Worst- Going on Scott Wagstaff's Wikipedia and finding out he apparently supports Crystal Palace. 
  • Options
    wagstaff surports palace oh dear not good :-(
  • Options
    Nah thats got to be some kind of wind up. I thought he was Arse or Spam. 
  • Options

Best

Leeds Play Off Final 1987

Sunderland Play Off Final 1998

Blackburn FAC 4th Round 1994 (they were reigning League Champions)

Worst

Charlton 0 - 3 Millwall (1988, Selhurst)

Millwall 2 - 1 Charlton (another last minute defeat at The Toolbox).

Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Charlton Athletic 1 (2011)

• Options
    Nah thats got to be some kind of wind up. I thought he was Arse or Spam. 
    wagstaff surports palace oh dear not good :-(

Waggy's a Leeds fan, fear not
  • Options
    You'd think our history started around 1985

Best

Beating Brentford to get promotion the top flight 30 years after the Club was formed.

Winning the FA Cup

Worse

Losing 4 - 3 at home to Blackburn when a draw would have taken up back up to the top flight at the first attempt.   It would be 30 years before we got back up and over 40 before we did it at the Valley.  The great turning point in our post war history.

• Options

You'd think our history started around 1985

Best

Beating Brentford to get promotion the top flight 30 years after the Club was formed.

Winning the FA Cup

Worse

Losing 4 - 3 at home to Blackburn when a draw would have taken up back up to the top flight at the first attempt.   It would be 30 years before we got back up and over 40 before we did it at the Valley.  The great turning point in our post war history.

Erm, maybe it's easier to comment on something if you remember it.

Also, if you want to be pedantic and literal I think you mean 'worst' not 'worse'. Everything is worse than best.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LOL, you are correct I should have said worst.

But all my events took place long before I was even born.  I know about World War 1, The battle of Hastings and Roman Empire too. : - )
  • Options
    LOL, you are correct I should have said worst.

But all my events took place long before I was even born.  I know about World War 1, The battle of Hastings and Roman Empire too. : - )

You are right, in terms of the exact wording of the thread title, though I wonder whether that's what Disco meant.

Anyway, I would like to nominate the founding of the club as a good moment, or at least a fairly important one.

Regarding history, my dad always used to say that the Second World War was the worst thing that happened to the club, but I don't know whether that is a widely held view.

• Options
    And also Henry, at the time no one knew that the defeat to Blackburn would have such far-reaching effects. I agree that it was a pivotal moment, but I guess everyone at the time remained confident that the team would get promotion the next season, so I wouldn't necessarily call it the worst moment.
  • Options

Regarding history, my dad always used to say that the Second World War was the worst thing that happened to the club, but I don't know whether that is a widely held view.

I think most people think WWII was a bad thing : - )   But you're dad was right.  It came at just the time we were on top of English football
    And also Henry, at the time no one knew that the defeat to Blackburn would have such far-reaching effects. I agree that it was a pivotal moment, but I guess everyone at the time remained confident that the team would get promotion the next season, so I wouldn't necessarily call it the worst moment.
    True but I'm speaking with hindsight.
  • Options
    but if ww2 hadn't occurred then we may have gone onto have been a real force in football and become one of the big 4,5,6 plastic sky premiershit teams and we know how wonderful and superior we  as fans are  cos we support a shit team ,so half our freaks wouldn't have followed us cos it would have involved too much success not watching real football in shit grounds like we are lucky enough to do now