Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Another 10 seconds of your time

Comments

• Options
    BA

but out of interest how do you view the rest of the competition

You're not meant to be making an informed decision :-)
  • Options
    Voted again at work, took a break from flipping the burgers to do so. I just want to see my loved ones again...
  • Options
    Been there, seen them, voted!
  • Options
    Done. 
  • Options
    Done and dusted.

• Options
    You lot rock. Thank you.

Oh and I have no idea how to check out the rest of the competition. I even looked so I could provide a link but there doesnt seem to be one yet.

Maybe that'll work in my favour. If I'm the only one entering I got to at least make the top five! :)

Red Army SE7. They're safe as long as you bring that burger and fries quickly, oh and one of plaaayers lumberjack shirts.
  • Options
    Sandra says thanks, but,apparent, I'm too old to Rock.
    Will vote when I can.
  • Options
    So yes I'm back and again rather cheekily asking you lot to click a link, press a button then close a link again

This is a competition run by the same group that ran the competition I won some money on recently thanks to youe fervent clicking.

Once again you cant see anyone else's work. Once again you are just blindly clicking to vote for me hopefully because you actually like my photos but really because I'm a charlton fan and so are you.

You can vote once per IP address every 24 hours. That's it really. If it's ok with afka/admin I'll be bumping this once a day or so.

http://shortsharpshot.see.me/onelife2011/grid

*For those interested in the photography. These are a very similar set of images to those I entered into the other competition but this time in colour albeit quite muted. I will also be putting a couple of these forward for the national portrait gallery photography competition who's deadline is this week. I also have an exhibition in Lee/Blackheat coming up in early September which will feature these shots and some from Cambodia and will be raising money for Aspeca Orphanage in Kep and Kampot.*

Thank you all for your time and support

Greg
    you really are a cheat and by doing so ruin the reputation of our great club.

i've seen so many of these kind of shots, you don't seem to of been able to bring anything new to the table, sorry if that offends.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Wow!

I'm not normally one to respond to internet warriors but since this is actually about me and my name then I'm going to defend it.

Firstly I'm not a cheat.The whole purpose of this round is to get public votes through using social media. People get their friends to vote for them. That's how it works. As I stated if I could provide you with other peoples shots so you could make that choice then I would, however there is no option for that on the website and I personally do not have access to anyone elses shots either! Thats just how the organisers of the competition designed it. Not my fault. It certainly doesnt make me a cheat, and since I've been quite open with who I am and what exactly is happening here in regards to the competition, I do not appreciate the assertion that I am.

Secondly how on earth this reflects on Charlton I don't know. I dont know if I personally do anything to ruin the reputation of our great club. I'm sure when I gave pictures to support the upbeats I was not ruining the reputation of the club. Nor when I raised money for the Charlton Life game at the Valley for Demelza was I ruining the reputation of this great club. Nor even as a kid when I walked along during the Bromley float parade collecting money for a very skint club was I ruining the reputation of this great club. I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot of people on this site that might take the piss but in reality would tell you I was professional, and did nothing to show disrespect for anyone or anything never mind anything to do with our club.

It's very easy to sit behind a keyboard mouthing off. Evidently far easier than getting your facts straight.

As for your opinion that these kinds of shots are bringing nothing new to the table. Well there you have no need to apologise (ironically for the one thing that you shouldnt apologise for) You are totally entitled to your opinion. Photography like art is subjective. I dont shoot to please the world, and I dont believe I am by any means the best around. I do it because I enjoy it and people who I know and dont know seem to really appreciate my work, and I guess that would be why a company like Getty Images would hold almost 400 of my images because they also believe there is a market for some of my work. The fact that you dont like it is no skin off my nose and an opinion you are totally entitled to.

So I dont really expect much of a positive response but when you try to mark my good name, and my professionalism and conduct, on a public forum, in what is a potential career for me I dont like it, I dont appreciate it, and I will defend myself. Tell me you think my work is shit by all means but dont make comments like the above. I would suggest you think about that next time before you sling mud that doesnt stick.

• Options

Whatever..

I voted again.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done!
    Good Luck!
  • Options

Gemacht.

Gluck haben.

• Options
    Done.  And I can vote again tomorrow according to the link.
  • Options

So yes I'm back and again rather cheekily asking you lot to click a link, press a button then close a link again This is a competition run by the same group that ran the competition I won some money on recently thanks to youe fervent clicking. Once again you cant see anyone else's work. Once again you are just blindly clicking to vote for me hopefully because you actually like my photos but really because I'm a charlton fan and so are you. You can vote once per IP address every 24 hours. That's it really. If it's ok with afka/admin I'll be bumping this once a day or so. http://shortsharpshot.see.me/onelife2011/grid *For those interested in the photography. These are a very similar set of images to those I entered into the other competition but this time in colour albeit quite muted. I will also be putting a couple of these forward for the national portrait gallery photography competition who's deadline is this week. I also have an exhibition in Lee/Blackheat coming up in early September which will feature these shots and some from Cambodia and will be raising money for Aspeca Orphanage in Kep and Kampot.* Thank you all for your time and support Greg
    sillav nitram said

you really are a cheat and by doing so ruin the reputation of our great club.

i've seen so many of these kind of shots, you don't seem to of been able to bring anything new to the table, sorry if that offends.

Wow!

I'm not normally one to respond to internet warriors but since this is actually about me and my name then I'm going to defend it.

Firstly I'm not a cheat.The whole purpose of this round is to get public votes through using social media. People get their friends to vote for them. That's how it works. As I stated if I could provide you with other peoples shots so you could make that choice then I would, however there is no option for that on the website and I personally do not have access to anyone elses shots either! Thats just how the organisers of the competition designed it. Not my fault. It certainly doesnt make me a cheat, and since I've been quite open with who I am and what exactly is happening here in regards to the competition, I do not appreciate the assertion that I am.

Secondly how on earth this reflects on Charlton I don't know. I dont know if I personally do anything to ruin the reputation of our great club. I'm sure when I gave pictures to support the upbeats I was not ruining the reputation of the club. Nor when I raised money for the Charlton Life game at the Valley for Demelza was I ruining the reputation of this great club. Nor even as a kid when I walked along during the Bromley float parade collecting money for a very skint club was I ruining the reputation of this great club. I'm pretty sure you'd find a lot of people on this site that might take the piss but in reality would tell you I was professional, and did nothing to show disrespect for anyone or anything never mind anything to do with our club.

It's very easy to sit behind a keyboard mouthing off. Evidently far easier than getting your facts straight.

As for your opinion that these kinds of shots are bringing nothing new to the table. Well there you have no need to apologise (ironically for the one thing that you shouldnt apologise for) You are totally entitled to your opinion. Photography like art is subjective. I dont shoot to please the world, and I dont believe I am by any means the best around. I do it because I enjoy it and people who I know and dont know seem to really appreciate my work, and I guess that would be why a company like Getty Images would hold almost 400 of my images because they also believe there is a market for some of my work. The fact that you dont like it is no skin off my nose and an opinion you are totally entitled to.

So I dont really expect much of a positive response but when you try to mark my good name, and my professionalism and conduct, on a public forum, in what is a potential career for me I dont like it, I dont appreciate it, and I will defend myself. Tell me you think my work is shit by all means but dont make comments like the above. I would suggest you think about that next time before you sling mud that doesnt stick.

ok here goes

i believe you said you won some money from your previous request for votes, in the previous competition? if so, i hope you bought all the voters a beer or made a donation to any of charltons charitable causes, if you did well done?

just because you say up front that your soliciting votes, doesn't make it ok. the fact that voters don't have a choice in what they vote for, and in truth the public without being disrespectful, don't always have a good idea, of what makes a photo good. this is often demonstrated in the field of celebrity photography because it's the subject that the fans croon over rather than the picture being great. i think this was demonstrated on breakfast tv this morning. a photographer was advertising his work, i think it was a book publication. and the presenters were wetting themselves with plaudites. but in truth they were a series of images of world leaders and so the images if you like, were already famous, simply for who was sitting, so the photographer was already onto a winner. maybe his real talent was in the fact he was able to get these men to pose in the first place.

talking of getty and the saatchi and saatchi gallery as well. both galleries were primarily into making money and certainly at the beginning were buying up everything that could possibly do that. in fact am i right in saying the saatchi and saatchi art catalogue, anyone can upload images for free? i know getty actually charge now for people to submit but my point is, just because you have images in a library doesn't necessarily mean your a good photographer but rather you have salable work. and don't allow a name to fool you and the public that it's a reliable marker. interestingly martin parr now a household name but originally a lot of people in the so called world of photography may have originally questioned his talent but now today, see him in a different light, so it's interesting who you may see as a good yard stick for taste and quality.

sorry the dig about the club was a red herring?%-{>

while my comments about your pictures may have come across as scathing but, and i don't know how old you are, and what experience you have in the business? but in truth, there probably isn't anything left in the world that hasn't had it's picture taken, so in essence all perhaps any photographer can do, is put their own style onto that subject and i guess thats what i was criticizing when i said you hadn't brought anything new to the table. while the experience of taking the pictures for you may have been rewarding, they really didn't have a different angle, on an already overcrowded market in that type of work.
  • Options

Look you dont need to explain your opinion on my work. You're entitled to it! I think Martin Parr's work is awful. It does nothing for me in the slightest. I just dont understand it. A photo of a plate of chips doesnt excite me or fill me with any emotion. I agree with a lot of what you have said about people crooning over famous photographs. A "great" shot of Jimi Hendrix to me (I used to shoot live music) was rubbish. Microphone across face, poorly lit, bad composition etc. But it's iconic. Therefore if it has an impact on the viewer then it's still great photography because surely thats the whole point. I hate RnB music. I think it's all generic music by numbers, but there's a huge worldwide appeal so what do I know?

The thing I dont really understand is "what is your point" ?  It's easy to sit behind a computer and dig people out. I'm just not sure what you stand to gain by doing it? I'm just a charlton fan who knows at least 30 people through this site, and therefore thought it legitimate that I may canvas for some support from here. Whats your motivation?

Getty, well fair enough I guess. They are about making money. Therefore having photos that are used commercially must be of a certain quality. Even if it's not to your taste. For your info, I'm 32. Have no formal photography training, have never been taught anything, and have been shooting for about 4-5 years.

You can look on my flickr page and it's all there pretty much in time order from when I first started to what Im doing now. I'm sure there is plenty on there for you to slaughter as well! www.flickr.com/photos/gregscargill  I would incidentally love to see some of your work. I presume you have some right?

If you must know no I didnt buy everyone a beer with the $500 I won in the last competition. I could say that it'll help to go towards the cost of all my gear but in reality I'm using that money to buy frames for an exhibition I'm doing raising money for two orphanages in Cambodia. You dont know me, or anything about me, but you presume to know exactly what you're talking about. I cat be bothered with tit for tat anymore. You've apologised for one thing but not for calling me a cheat, and I still have no idea as to your motivation. I wouldnt go on to the "art" thread that has recently been started and say I thought it was boring, and they were bringing nothing new to the table, even if thats what I thought. Mainly because I am not an art expert, but also because what is the point? This isnt a photography forum and sometimes if you've got nothing good to say you should keep your mouth shut.

I'm bored now of you. Thanks to everyone who saw this thread for what it is and voted for me, I wont ask again.

• Options
    Keep asking, i have voted again.

Im making my own decision on this, i feel all other lifers should do the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Whereabouts in India did you take these? I see that at least one is Cochin, Kerala.

I would continue to ask people for their votes - we can choose whether we vote.
  • Options

Thanks. 

@darty valiant 

Most of them were taken in Kollam where my wife's family come from and live. The others are either Cochin, or Eranakulam sp. . All in Kerala. 

I'm off to Mumbai in October so should be able to get plenty there as well!

• Options
    Voted again, doing my bit for the homeless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Look you dont need to explain your opinion on my work. You're entitled to it! I think Martin Parr's work is awful. It does nothing for me in the slightest. I just dont understand it. A photo of a plate of chips doesnt excite me or fill me with any emotion. I agree with a lot of what you have said about people crooning over famous photographs. A "great" shot of Jimi Hendrix to me (I used to shoot live music) was rubbish. Microphone across face, poorly lit, bad composition etc. But it's iconic. Therefore if it has an impact on the viewer then it's still great photography because surely thats the whole point. I hate RnB music. I think it's all generic music by numbers, but there's a huge worldwide appeal so what do I know?

The thing I dont really understand is "what is your point" ?  It's easy to sit behind a computer and dig people out. I'm just not sure what you stand to gain by doing it? I'm just a charlton fan who knows at least 30 people through this site, and therefore thought it legitimate that I may canvas for some support from here. Whats your motivation?

Getty, well fair enough I guess. They are about making money. Therefore having photos that are used commercially must be of a certain quality. Even if it's not to your taste. For your info, I'm 32. Have no formal photography training, have never been taught anything, and have been shooting for about 4-5 years.

You can look on my flickr page and it's all there pretty much in time order from when I first started to what Im doing now. I'm sure there is plenty on there for you to slaughter as well! www.flickr.com/photos/gregscargill  I would incidentally love to see some of your work. I presume you have some right?

If you must know no I didnt buy everyone a beer with the $500 I won in the last competition. I could say that it'll help to go towards the cost of all my gear but in reality I'm using that money to buy frames for an exhibition I'm doing raising money for two orphanages in Cambodia. You dont know me, or anything about me, but you presume to know exactly what you're talking about. I cat be bothered with tit for tat anymore. You've apologised for one thing but not for calling me a cheat, and I still have no idea as to your motivation. I wouldnt go on to the "art" thread that has recently been started and say I thought it was boring, and they were bringing nothing new to the table, even if thats what I thought. Mainly because I am not an art expert, but also because what is the point? This isnt a photography forum and sometimes if you've got nothing good to say you should keep your mouth shut.

I'm bored now of you. Thanks to everyone who saw this thread for what it is and voted for me, I wont ask again.

my point is, fairness and a level playing field. the competition, and you of course admited this yourself, in my way of thinking wasn't fair? because it made people vote potentially, just because you're a charlton fan, rather than purely your photographs.

and how coincidental that i find myself, being asked to do the same thing, by a friend of mine. not for his work but one of his friends. the only difference is, that you get to look at other peoples work as well, so fairer. and i hope i do the right thing, in voting for what i feels best rather than because i know someone, who in turn knows someone?

i wasn't necessarily using martin parr as an example of good photography, though i do like the areas he explores. he is, in my opinion, trying to turn the mundane into more than what it is. i like doing the same myself, obviously, i wouldn't put myself, excuse the pun, on a parr with him. it's bloody hard work but for me rewarding because often some images have little or nothing going for them. the point about parr is that he's a hard working guy but it may have been on somebody's whim that he was finally catapulted him into the spotlight, rather than his work.

i wasn't slating your pictures. i was simply suggesting, when photographing common subjects, trying to put something of yourself into them, that's the only way you can try and be different from the next guy. i don't know you but i didn't feel there was anything different, to what i'd already seen many times before. i know it's hard and that you're relatively young and new to photography but sometimes perceived negative criticism is the best you can get, because it makes you look more closely at what you photograph and helps you, if you wish, to try and be different from all the others out there. 

in the end if your comfortable in entering such competitions and then asking your mates to vote for you, then do so but as this is a forum don't be surprised by some peoples reaction even if it ain't the norm and in commenting and taking part in this forum,doesn't, i believe, make me, hiding behind a keyboard, it's just the only way to communicate.

apologies if this bores you.
  • Options

Some peoples reaction? It's only you from what I can see?

• Options
    Voted - 216 now.
  • Options

Good pics. Just voted..

Do you know I've got a strange feeling you and your dad sit in the row in front of me in the East stand! If i'm right, and so you know who I am, my son and I shared an exec box with you and your family at MK Dons season before last. 

Am I right or am I miles of beam?!!! 

• Options
    voted now 223
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Some peoples reaction? It's only you from what I can see?

but thats ok. because i do have an opinion, even if it isn't yours? and quite clearly, people are still voting, without other options and because he's, like us, a charlton fan and, maybe that's fine for all of you, but that was the point of my post in the first place.?%-{>
  • Options
    Sillav, leave it now mate please. You've articulated your point, a valid one, but now please leave it down to whether people want to help a fellow member trying to establish themselves in a very competitive field. Something some of us are more than willing to do. good luck Blackheath
  • Options
    onwards and upwards Greg, good luck....................
  • Options
    I'm done (2)!
    Good luck