Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Where will Semedo end up ??

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2011
    KHA, maybe the new recruits have more "upside" as long term assets than Semedo and their style of play may fit better with what's required for CP. It all comes down to peoples opinion on the merits of individual players and wholehearted as he was, we never had our doors beaten down for Semedo and where he ends up playing next season may tell us more about his real value and why we may not have tried too hard to keep him.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like Semedo but considering the signings we've made / look to be making, it really ain't gonna make much of a difference if he stays or goes.

And I'd rather have 2 versatile CMs than one defensively flimsy AM and a DM who has seriously limited attacking ability.
  • Options
    Not bothered anymore, I like Semedo, but he is gone move on and I am more than happy with those that have come in so far
  • Options
    G. Now we're finally bringing in midfield players that can pass a ball I couldn't careless. Reckon he'll end up at Sheff Wed.
  • Options

What I don't get is that Semedo was on £6k a week (£312k over a season) yet we are being linked with midfielders with transfer fees of £300k plus. Assuming these players aren't coming to play for us for nothing they must be costing more than Semedo did last season. If this is the case I can't understand how we can't justify his current wages if he is on a free - assuming that Powell, Jiminez and Vetre want him to stay.

Frankly I was not all that bothered about Racon going as I didn't think he was worth anywhere near as much as we paid him, but I now believe that if Semedo leaves it will not be all about money as we seem to be shelling out more for his 'replacements'.

A tweet on Danny Green's site suggests he is on 3k pw. And as you say, maybe at the end of the day Semedo was considered surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    Depends how the £300k fee is paid.

£100k pa over the life of a three year contract would be par for the course but we don't know on this deal.

Benson for example was £60k pa over three years (£180k) plus add ons to bring it up to £200k, not the £250k mentioned in the press.  Sources at Dagenham confirmed this and that he is on £2 pw.

That means Benson costs us £160k PA or just over £3k pw.

Green maybe on £3k pw although I always doubt these figures when seen on the internet.  I know as a fact they are frequently wrong.

But if Green and/or Stephens are on £3k pw (£150k pa) and the fee is £100k pa then they are still, individually, cheaper than Semedo and Racon at £300k pa.

And as Large says they may have sell on value.  On the other hand they could run out there contracts or be allowed to run them out and leave for nothing ala Therry and Jose.

Certainly it is hard to match this with "same budget as Rochdale" but then Powell never said that.

He did say less than £4m pa total playing budget.  £3.75m?  £3.5m, £3m?  and did that include the Jenkinson fee (how ever much that is)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    . And as you say, maybe at the end of the day Semedo was considered surplus to requirements.
    Again we don't know that.  Powell certainly said that he wanted to keep Semedo at Bromley and elsewhere and went out of his way to praise him.  He said how he had improved his game as well.  And despite getting other CMs in last term he rarely played without Jose when he was available.

But maybe it was a lie that he wanted Jose or maybe he did want Jose but Jose wouldn't accept what we offered and got more elsewhere.

Or maybe Jose hasn't got a deal anywhere yet.

Or he's re-signing for us as we speak

Personally I think Powell has moved on.  Will be interesting to see who plays CM out of those available.  Hollands and Alonso are more holding players and Jackson and Stephens more attacking although all seem more flexible than Semedo.  Of course that doesn't mean  they are better
  • Options
    Maybe Jose will re-sign and be used as a centre back this season.I doubt it but it could be a possibility especially if we're struggling to find CB's...
  • Options
    Powell can't wait for Jose to make his decision and miss the boat, potentially leaving us exposed. However, I'm sure if Jose decides to stay a contract is on the table for him.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brilliant, Pouso!

"He is said to want to move to a bigger club now that his contract has
    ended, with a shock move to the worst team in London Crystal Palarse on
    the cards."
  • Options
    RichCawleySLP Richard Cawley 
    Had heard about a week ago that Semedo might be warming to idea of #cafc return. Signings made in that area suggest club have moved on.

When asked if Semedo had any concrete offers he said don't know.
  • Options
    image Here's the last known film of Jose
  • Options
    Hope we sign him up still. Can play full back, centre back and DM and always gives 100%
  • Options

You'd guess there's no way he's signing now with McCormack, Alonso, Hollands, Stephens and Pritchard in an emergency. What I don't get is, we clearly have/had money so why didn't we want him? Powel said he's a fan and so on. So why didn't they sign the fans' favourite again? Seems unusual to me, especially as we don't really want him signing for another league 1 club.

• Options

You'd guess there's no way he's signing now with McCormack, Alonso, Hollands, Stephens and Pritchard in an emergency. What I don't get is, we clearly have/had money so why didn't we want him? Powel said he's a fan and so on. So why didn't they sign the fans' favourite again? Seems unusual to me, especially as we don't really want him signing for another league 1 club.

Wages...allegedly he was on £6k a week and probably feels that he has become a better player in those three years and again allegedly he was offered something around 50% less. In that time he's seen virtually no inward investment and the few decent players we did attract or trained up - Bailey/Shelvey were sold on. So he can't be faulted for wanting to examine other options.
  • Options
    Just wonder what he must be thinking now and if he's going to get a new agent ? 
  • Options
    Just wonder what he must be thinking now and if he's going to get a new agent ? 

As I understand it - he was offered circa £3k a week and can no doubt do better than that elsewhere. Famous last words, but we have three/four central midfielders now, so if he did re-sign would he get a regular start?
  • Options
    Shame he came out and said he wanted to stay then. Shame powel said he wanted him to as well.
  • Options
    Shame he came out and said he wanted to stay then. Shame powel said he wanted him to as well.

He was asked a question and answered it - but as with all these things the deal has to be right for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perfectly understandable that he is looking for what offers are out there. I have always maintained that it isn't a question of the difference from what he is being offered by us compared to what he was on. It is a question of what we are offering him now compared to what other clubs will offer. He is now seeing that Charlton mean business and I do believe the most likely scenario is that he will be interested in a 1 year deal but there now has to be a question mark as to whether Charlton want him with so many good midfielders.

I hope we sign him - I think he would compete directly with Hollands for a slot and IMO would edge it.
  • Options
    Alonso still seems like an odd signing to me. Surely he's taken Semedo's position at the club. Who's our new captain?
  • Options
    Alonso still seems like an odd signing to me. Surely he's taken Semedo's position at the club. Who's our new captain?

Could be JJ but think the new captain may not have signed yet.
  • Options
    I would Imagine Holland if Dailly isnt offered a deal.
  • Options
     It is a question of what we are offering him now compared to what other clubs will offer. He is now seeing that Charlton mean business and I do believe the most likely scenario is that he will be interested in a 1 year deal but there now has to be a question mark as to whether Charlton want him with so many good midfielders.

I hope we sign him - I think he would compete directly with Hollands for a slot and IMO would edge it.

I'm sure he was sold the club three years ago on that basis - a recently relegated prem team with a history of developing players, with parachute money to boot. He must have signed up thinking, well hoping, that he'd be playing in the premiership in a year or two, instead of which...

He's unlikely to get £6k a week anywhere, but if his base value is £3k a week then I'm sure he can beat that elsewhere.

• Options
    I would give the armband to JJ or to Hollands, regardless of Dailly and Semedo returning
  • Options
    Could be JJ but think the new captain may not have signed yet.
    I tend to agree with this. Think CP will be looking to bring in a little bit of experience to the blend. Probably doesn't happen any more, but used to be the case the captain got more money too so maybe keeping that back as a deal sweetenener if it's in the balance?
  • Options
    Could still be the mobile cb people have asked for, with ability to cover at rb and cm. Not the most dominant in the air but would be an option.