Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I think that we're getting to some people....

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
with us flexing the money to get out this shit league i've seen watford and wednesday fans begin to loathe us,

is it only me who's feeling abit smug with this?

Comments

• Options
    LOL no your not alone im loving it haha :D
  • Options
    Pride cometh before a fall.

Let's wait and let the team win a few games before we all get too cocky.

Really pleased with the deals so far and more to come so happy but it's a long summer and an even longer season.
  • Options
    with us flexing the money to get out this shit league i've seen watford and wednesday fans begin to loathe us,

got any links so I can go and 'smirk' at them???
  • Options
    It's an unusual situation for Charlton supporters to find themselves in. Before our rapid decline any success was built on slowly built sides and to use a recent quote "evolution not revolution". This current situation of snapping up sought after players on a grand scale albeit from league one is new to me and I've been going since 1961. Smug no. Well............ ;0)
  • Options

Let me remind you we are still only fifth...

We've acquired a good midfield, but the defence is currently weaker than it was last season.

• Options
    It's an unusual situation for Charlton supporters to find themselves in. Before our rapid decline any success was built on slowly built sides and to use a recent quote "evolution not revolution". This current situation of snapping up sought after players on a grand scale albeit from league one is new to me and I've been going since 1961. Smug no. Well............ ;0)

didn't lennie bring in about 9 new players for the promotion season 85/86
  • Options
    Its about time we had something to be smug about. 
  • Options
    We need to hire a decent manager before getting smug. ;-)
  • Options
    I think I'll wait until about 15 matches in before I get too smug.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Delusions of grandeur. Watford ffs!
  • Options
    Pride cometh before a fall.

Let's wait and let the team win a few games before we all get too cocky.

Really pleased with the deals so far and more to come so happy but it's a long summer and an even longer season.

^^^^^

This

• Options
    I remember Jimmy Hill coming on at half time vs Oxford, telling the crowd that we'd bought John Pearson for £100k was like we'd spent millions on Pele, vividly remember the buzz inside the Covered End.....
  • Options
    3-3, Curbishley own goal in the dying minutes. Great game from what I remember.
  • Options

Hmmmm. I'll say one thing about Powell, it is a pressure pot situation he is in now. I mean, seriously, the way it is going. If he cant get this team promoted, then he cant get anyone up.

Lets wait and see how he does though, as he is clearly having an influence on attracting players to the club

(And lets wait on Wiggins, which has started this pandamonium on C LIFE, as nothing is final yet).

• Options
    Delusions of grandeur. Watford ffs!
    Apart from one of them who seems to have a brain.

To be fair , to the unbiased eye , there is a very good chance us and
    Charlton will be going in opposite directions in May.....add that to the
    fact they are a bigger club than us , then you can see why

• Options
    watford 

sheff wednesday 

Thanks....some intersting thoughts on both of those sites.....some (SWed) fans clearly think CP is not up the job and seem not to have heard of any of our signingsand hence think we are going to struggle. Watford fans (well a couple of them) think we will be swaping places with them come the end of the season.......this is a strange time and feeling to be a Charlton fan.....with other fans seemingly being a litte bitter!! When was the last time that happened!!
  • Options
    god knows! 

but sheff wednesday won't accept they're in league one and just assume that powell's squad will be like parky's which i doubt.
  • Options

Hmmmm. I'll say one thing about Powell, it is a pressure pot situation he is in now. I mean, seriously, the way it is going. If he cant get this team promoted, then he cant get anyone up.

Lets wait and see how he does though, as he is clearly having an influence on attracting players to the club

(And lets wait on Wiggins, which has started this pandamonium on C LIFE, as nothing is final yet).

We all know CP has to hit the ground running after last season. A bad start and I can't see there being that much patience given to him in all honesty.
  • Options
    god knows! 

but sheff wednesday won't accept they're in league one and just assume that powell's squad will be like parky's which i doubt.

Sheffield fans sound like some others that I remember a while back!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No one likes us we don't care.....................
  • Options

Feeling cautiously optimistic about the coming season but Im not letting myself be overly confident until i see how we get on after ten games.

Made some good signings and seemed to be heading in the right direction at last on and off the pitch but still a long way to go.  CP has a lot to do, needs to get the squad to gel quickly, work out a range of tactics to last the season and then deal with things like injuries and other inevitable hurdles that a football season throws up.

Also need to get a quality central defensive partnership to really provide stability.

Really looking forward to the season but will keep any smugness or back patting until May IF and when we are mathmatically justified in planning trips to Leeds and Birmingham in the league above.

Been burnt too many times by this club over the years to get carried away! ;-)

• Options
    After ten games... you reckon everyone else will wait that long if we dont win the first two?

• Options
    Cant really judge it properly until Christmas Curbs and even then we have a traditional slump hence the caveat of May! ;-)
  • Options

Firstly, we shouldn't get carried away thinking we have landed a certain player until it actually happens...there is a lot that could go wrong.  However, given how the other transfers were handled (case in point being Danny Green) then I am very confident that our board will give it their best shot.  Fingers crossed....

Secondly, as many on here have pointed out - we've got to see what actually happens when we have played a few games before we start lumping everything on a title winning season.  Patience will be more crucial than ever and I really hope we see some.

We have every reason to be optimistic, though!

• Options
    Seems they are now interested in putting some cash on us (10-1)  thought we were slightly better odds than that.
  • Options

Yes the Pearson signing as mentioned & nobody could believe we'd spent 100K !!!!!!!

Then in the close season a new back 4, Johnny Hump John Pender Mark Reid plus one other centre back but can't for the life of me remember who doh !!!!! Pretty sure Steve Thomson came just sfter the start of the season when John Pender suffered serious injury & came in as a replacement. George Shipley in midfield what a great little player & I think that was it.....now who was the other center back ?

& then we upped sticks for bloody thornton heath where the local club saved us from going out of business.

• Options
    Whilst in some respects it isn't good to be loathed by other fans on one level it is. They are loathing us because we are aquiring players they want so long may it continue.
  • Options

Yes the Pearson signing as mentioned & nobody could believe we'd spent 100K !!!!!!!

Then in the close season a new back 4, Johnny Hump John Pender Mark Reid plus one other centre back but can't for the life of me remember who doh !!!!! Pretty sure Steve Thomson came just sfter the start of the season when John Pender suffered serious injury & came in as a replacement. George Shipley in midfield what a great little player & I think that was it.....now who was the other center back ?

& then we upped sticks for bloody thornton heath where the local club saved us from going out of business.

Thommo was the other centre back - pretty sure he was signed before the season started. Les Berry stepped in when Pender got injured. Distinctly remember a game where the crowd were giving him the "ole" treatment as he went on a run beating players and then waved to the crowd!

The only one you've missed out is Jimmy Loveridge.
  • Options
    We've had players snatched from under our noses over the years, - Cahill, Stokes, Kezman, to name just a few.
    It's nothing new, & I'm very happy that we are getting our targets, & some very some good prospects in.

All the greater if we are beating off higher level sides, as it does show our ambition. Though I hope we aren't running a risk of financial issues with silly wages(& I get the impression the board may be a bit too shrewd for that), I'd imagine the players would be on a fair bonus/incentive for promotion this coming season.

I think we'd feel a bit gutted if we had missed out on the signings/targets we have made/had so far, but at the end of the day, on the pitch or off the pitch, football is a competitive business & you're gonna win some & lose some.

It's early days still, & ultimately success has to come on the park, but I'll be going to sleep with a smile tonight!