Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Back The Board

13»

Comments

• Options
    Just remember Norwich - they did a big rebuilding in close season and got thumped 7-1 by Colchester first game. Walked the league at the end of the season once they'd all gelled
    We all need to remember this - some of our boo boys do need this told to them...
  • Options
    Why do i feel so optimistic at the moment , and theres more to come i hope.
  • Options
    I will only boo if we lose 8-1
  • Options
    I just hope Charlton fans are forgiving as i reckon it will be hard for this lot to hit the ground running , could take 10 - 15 games before we get going , i hope Chris is given time by the fans and the board.
  • Options
    I just hope Charlton fans are forgiving as i reckon it will be hard for this lot to hit the ground running , could take 10 - 15 games before we get going , i hope Chris is given time by the fans and the board.

I'm pretty sure you meant to put minutes rather than games there
  • Options
    fairplay to the board, actions speak louder than words and at this juncture we could not ask for more backing than has been given to SCP , long may it continue
  • Options

I'm pretty sure you meant to put minutes rather than games there
    Crickey man , your expectations are high!
  • Options
    Perhaps mine have been ground down into the ground in recent years, phoenix from the flames?
  • Options
    Not trying to be flippant with this comment but if it takes 15 games for us to look like a promotion candidate then from the 16th game onwards we will be bedding in a new manager.
  • Options
    bedding in a new manager .... wasn't that why pardew left West Ham
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SHG i know what you mean , but what i mean is i'm half expecting results to be up and down to start with , i know i want us to start off with 12 wins in a row at the start of the season , but if my entire workforce was changed overnight i wouldnt expect it to be firing on all cylinders from day one , i'm not trying to get excuses in early, and for the players to doss it , but i don't want our hopes and expectations to run away with us otherwise we could be heading for a big fall.
  • Options
    I'm excited yes , but lets keep it real.
  • Options
    what about the potholes in the car park - have they fixed them yet?

huh?
  • Options
    they didn't  break their promise of significant investment. i am a happy chap with mr slater and big tony!
  • Options

huh?
    Don't be silly as Henry has already said Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • Options

huh?
    One of the first things the new board did (NB the dates on this thread are wrong)

• Options

Don't forget that players who are not under contract can command (bigger) signing-on fees. They are only "free" in that their previous club doesn't get the money.

A word of caution - I agree with the sentiments above and what has happened is in line (or better) than what was expected internally. Those responsible deserve the credit they are getting. However, all concerned need to step back and realise that 1) the majority of our fans have probably never previously heard of any of the players we have signed, 2) people have had to put up with so much over recent years that it will take a while to win then back and 3) a lot of people are very short of cash right now and worried about their jobs.

Therefore, I would be cautious about how the excitement on here will translate into numbers of season ticket sales and match attendances. I would like to be pleasantly surprised, but I would be surprised if we do better on that score than last season, at least until the spring, assuming we are doing well.

I just think it needs to be said because there is a risk that expectations run amok. But of course we will be chasing up non-renewals and lapsed STs to try to get them in. That's already in hand.

• Options
    Agree with airman , even if we walk this league and hit the ground running in the championship I can't see us getting the same crowds as the original "we're still 5th" and finished 11th season , people get into patterns and many will have got used to not going to watch footy every other saturday
  • Options
    Sorry but a season ticket is out of the question! But I do hope to get to at least one game this season, the first since the 4-2 win over Reading in the Championship.

Any news of a rearranged friendly to replace the Reading game yet?
  • Options
    Just remember Norwich - they did a big rebuilding in close season and got thumped 7-1 by Colchester first game. Walked the league at the end of the season once they'd all gelled  sacked the manager!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have already backed the board and upped my season tickets to three 1 adult and 2 kids.

must say I'm impressed so far

as well as strengthening ourselves are we weakening the oppo buy taking as many of the best players from the league, I guess that would be tough from our better rivals
  • Options

Don't forget that players who are not under contract can command (bigger) signing-on fees. They are only "free" in that their previous club doesn't get the money.

A word of caution - I agree with the sentiments above and what has happened is in line (or better) than what was expected internally. Those responsible deserve the credit they are getting. However, all concerned need to step back and realise that 1) the majority of our fans have probably never previously heard of any of the players we have signed, 2) people have had to put up with so much over recent years that it will take a while to win then back and 3) a lot of people are very short of cash right now and worried about their jobs.

Therefore, I would be cautious about how the excitement on here will translate into numbers of season ticket sales and match attendances. I would like to be pleasantly surprised, but I would be surprised if we do better on that score than last season, at least until the spring, assuming we are doing well.

I just think it needs to be said because there is a risk that expectations run amok. But of course we will be chasing up non-renewals and lapsed STs to try to get them in. That's already in hand.

Gee, thanks for bursting my bubble, Airman !

Only kidding....

• Options
    Airman we know what the ST total was at the begining of the season was, but what did we end up with after Christmas and the half st sales?
  • Options

• Options
    I must confess to not having renewed thus far. By the end of last season my charlton mojo had bottomed out after 10 seasons of following them home and away some of the stuff we were serving up towards the end of last season was frankly diabolical. I feared another summer of waiting to buy what was left in August and getting more of the same.

To see young proven players at this level with potential for the Championship being signed in number and on 2-3 year contracts sends out a clear message that the new board are backing CP and are prepared to bring a new freshness to CAFC. I am looking forward to next season with great anticipation.

So Latimer will be purchasing a season ticket and for a change I will probably sit in the West Upper!
    COYR
  • Options
    I didnt get a ST last year but still went to a few homes and quite a few aware.

The owners have done the right thing. Not panic buying in the January transfer window but starting a fresh when the season finished. With them putting there hands in there pocket and showing the intent to beat champ clubs to players has persuaded me to buy a ST this year so I'm coming back.

Bad news is the millwall missus wants one. The good news is it's money going to our club and maybe just maybe she will be converted to red