Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away day treatment by the Police.

I thought I'd share the experience of a Palace fan at Reading last year, which illustrates the treatment of all football fans by the police.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/jul/03/football-fan-attacked

Comments

• Options
    Did he get his toes trodden on?
  • Options
    That's alright its only palace :)
  • Options
    some utter scumbag OB out there 

pathetic bully boys who probably got bullied at school
  • Options
    Did he get his toes trodden on?

bit more serious than that
  • Options
    That's alright its only palace :)

Until it happens to a Charlton fan eh
  • Options
    I could understand the jokes before you'd read the article but not after.

Shocking treatment by the Police regardless of who it was.
  • Options
    Shocking provocation and over reaction by the police.

From this report, it is apparent that the police responsible for this assault and injury are the real criminals.

But when the police are the accused, there is rarely justice.
  • Options

This
  • Options

This
    As you say, it just highlights the way that all football fans are treated by the Police.
  • Options
    Truly horrific.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Shocking story and would not wish that on any football fan.

I have to agree with the last comment about Human Rights as an away fan. Swansea away two seasons ago when 100 plus of us were told in no certain terms by the Welsh Old Bill that you are getting on that the train back to Paddington and you can't move from the carridge (unless you needed the toilet) when no one imo had done anything at all..

• Options
    Yeah, I agree Henry. The kid's endured a bloody nightmare. I mean seriously, setting a police dog on a handcuffed lad who hadn't even done anything, while his dad looked on, helpless...
  • Options
    So do people think the police named will go to trial - and will justice be done?
  • Options
    I very much doubt it, Oggy.
  • Options
    So do people think the police named will go to trial - and will justice be done?
    Not a chance. Bullies.
  • Options
    Just read the article and take back the previous comment, its pretty disgusting how police act and seemingly get away scott free, just because they are the police, cruel and unfair world
  • Options
    Outrageous, how can they refuse antibiotics to someone?
  • Options
    Outrageous, how can they refuse antibiotics to someone?
    That's the worst part, the other actions they can "defend" but not giving medication to someone after they caused the injury is unforgivable.
  • Options

I met a lad once on holiday who was about 14 at the time, his right arm was a mess of scars.  I asked him what had happened and he said it had been at a Colchester game about 4 years before, he had gone with his Dad as he regularly did up until that point.  On the way out of the ground two policemen were stationed with their dogs and he asked his Dad if he could stroke them, his Dad asked and one of them said yes.  So his son stroked the policeman's dog and then moved onto the second one, as he approached the policeman hissed a command which made the dog lunge, he said afterwards he did it because he had not said yes and he wanted to scare the boy. he had some serious scars and he lost a chunk out of his forearm as he had been too close to avoid the dog.

Like all people the police can be scum, problem is when they get you who is there to save you?

• Options
    I've been hammered at work for saying this before, but when this kind of thing has happened to football supporters for years, no one complained, no one picketted police station, yet when it happens to the middle classes on demos, it's a disgrace.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011

I don't believe that this is a fair representation of everyone in the police force, but they do seem to pick the worst kind of people to do football match duty.

When we played Orient away a couple of seasons ago, it happened to be the week before the infamous West Ham v Millwall Carling Cup match - I was talking to one of the riot police stood outside the pub we were drinking in and asked him if he was working on the West Ham game. He said he was and that he "couldn't f%*king wait for it". It was worryingly apparent that he was relishing the opportunity to wave his baton around and get stuck into a few people, didn't really get the impression that he was aware of his responsibilities to prevent crime and protect the public.

• Options
    Disgusting ... and yet I'm not surprised ... this is far from an uncommon occurrence.
  • Options
    I've been hammered at work for saying this before, but when this kind of thing has happened to football supporters for years, no one complained, no one picketted police station, yet when it happens to the middle classes on demos, it's a disgrace.
    Very true, but they can get away with it until they are filmed ala Ian Tomlinson's case.

Imagine if Football fans were openly damaging
    property like the bankers protests....
  • Options

Sad and there are two sides to every story etc etc, but did anyone get this far:

'Stoke City fans were herded on to a coach and not allowed to get off until they were home, even after pleading to be allowed to go to the lavatory. By the time the coach got to Stoke, it was flooded with urine.'

I'd like to thnk that however bad it got I wouldn't just piss on the floor.

• Options

Whilst this is true I think some context has to be put in place. Football fans picked up a reputation for violence in the 80s and this stil dictates how they are treated today. And they gather every Saturday. Demos with this level of violence happen rarely.

• Options

Silly palarse prick. Why don't you go an pick on some women and children?

Complete numpty.

• Options

Although not suffering injury I was a victim of assault by heavy handed stewards, had my season ticket snatched & was physically thrown out of the ground.

A few weeks later I was questioned for an hour by charlton security personel who repeatedly tried to trip & wind me up by both firing questions at the same time & suggesting that this may have happened etc. I was totally innocent of any offence & yet they produced a steward who claimed that I came looking for trouble & attempted to start a fight with 7 (yes seven!) stewards. While I had been informed that charlton stewarding & safety is held up by the government as an example & invite foreign dignities to view stewarding/safety procedures etc. when I asked for them to produce cctv evidence of my "behaviour"  they claimed that there were no cameras in that part of the ground.

It's rumoured that these thugs are "moonlighting" prison warders from Belmarsh which may explain how their behaviour is fairly similar to the police that attacked the palarse fan. End of the day I wouldn't trust anyone of them to be telling the truth.

• Options

What is also disgusting in this is the implication that the police authorities will not investigate the incident with a view to discipling the officers unless a formal complaint is made. I suspect the lad wants to try and forget about whareas any complaint will make him be quizzed and relive it all overt again.

Without rigourous investigations violence becomes even more institutionalsed in the poilice force. Everthing about this stinks

• Options

Sad and there are two sides to every story etc etc, but did anyone get this far:

'Stoke City fans were herded on to a coach and not allowed to get off until they were home, even after pleading to be allowed to go to the lavatory. By the time the coach got to Stoke, it was flooded with urine.'

I'd like to thnk that however bad it got I wouldn't just piss on the floor.

You would rather piss you pants and then it would still go in the coach floor?
  • Options

Anybody who is put in a position of power, and has to make often arbitary decisions must be carefully checked and monitored, whatever the standing orders are.

Power is a strange force, and it almost seems to be a human trait to exercise it in many situations, worryingly it is often used 'because you can'

The story above is awful, and any football fan subjected to such treatment should be supported.

At Charlton the default setting of many stewards is often that we are the enemy, out to cause trouble, and to be swooped on first, questions asked later.

Funnily enough this was not the case with stewards at Orient the last couple of seasons, despite the game being in the evening, and the Charlton following being lively.