Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

jogging

Comments

• Options
    Siu lim tao what's that ,funny but true I studied tai chi for many years learned the long form yang but then said another two years polishing the form and doing something moving centre which stopped my drive to contiune, what I noticed in my training with people is how much they love doing the boxing,going to his catford class thursday to take a few on the pads
  • Options
    Siu lim tao just googled it intresting
  • Options
    Oi! This thread is about jogging running. Take your kung fu nonense outside why we get on with the petty cycling v running squabbling.
  • Options
    I loathe running,used to be the best runner at school but there is never been joy in it even when winning,also I look demented when I run and alarm people when I go past. Senpai what martial arts do you do , I train with a dan three wing chun dude who teaches me a bit and I teach him a bit of boxing,you ever feel like popping down let us no,he has a new dojo in sidcup I'm thinking of starting there as two old to box or really spar proper with other boxers

Best runner at school my arse!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    This thread is funny , i need to re read it to see what i should / shouldn't be doing , but its gone off so much of a tangent!
  • Options
    Yes ormiston by a country mile won every cross country race at school from first year to fifth I even rember one year cedric the belgian kid trying to run at my pace and collapsing on the field and me not stopping as I wanted a clean shut out from first to fifth ,cedric made a full recovery after the medics got to him,your mate martin loved a second
  • Options
    Bloody hell, this thread has got some legs.....and it's running further than most lifers could. ;-)
  • Options

def ran faster than me last night, had the urge to go out again, so i done what some of the advice said on here, done 3k but feck me was it tough

feel puker today again though

Plan B album got me through

• Options
    Keep it up mate. you'll feel better everytime.
  • Options
    Yes ormiston by a country mile won every cross country race at school from first year to fifth I even rember one year cedric the belgian kid trying to run at my pace and collapsing on the field and me not stopping as I wanted a clean shut out from first to fifth ,cedric made a full recovery after the medics got to him,your mate martin loved a second

Bloody Hell mate, I must have drunk way too many beers in the last 20 years as I can't recall you being a cross-country man, all I remember about your sports wise was your boxing at Eltham ABC.

To be fair of course, I did come stone last in several cross-country races at BP, and the only race I did not come last in was only because I threw Suleman Ceres into a bush before we turned into the home straight and he came last instead.

I don't think being 6ft 1" and 15st at the age of 14 gave me much chance as a cross-country runner......

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm off for a run now before I have to start a night shift later. I'm going to listen to some ACDC on my iPod during my run. For those of you that run with an iPod or MP3, what type of music, if any, do you listen to?
  • Options

Plan B

The streets

Eminem

• Options
    Download the Rocky Soundtrack album for the times when you need a bit of extra motivation.  Worked a treat for me!
  • Options
    Sheer Heart Attack, Queen
  • Options
    "so i can walk for 4 hours as someone said above and burn the same amount of calories as running for 4 hours??  please tell me it be true. "

Sorry but it isn't true. Say you walk at 3mph, then you'll make 12 miles in 4 hours. If you run at 6mph then you'll make 24 miles (good luck with that!). You'll burn twice as many calories running because you travelled twice as far.

If you turned this example round and compared walking vs running over a set distance, say one mile at 3pmh walking vs. 6mph running, then your running time will be 10 minutes vs. 20 minutes walking. You'll burn approximately the same number of calories over the mile regardless of how you do it, however you could spend the remaining 10 minutes doing ANYTHING else (weights, cycling, walking, playing chess, watching Charlton), and by the end of the 20 minutes you'd STILL have burnt more calories than if you'd just walked for 20 minutes.

The other MASSIVE plus for running (and for vigorous exercise in general) which most people overlook, is that for hours after vigorous exercise, even when resting you will be burning calories at an elevated rate. Indeed, much of the calorie burning benefits from vigorous exercise don't actually come during the time spent exercising, but later.

• Options
    A week in half a stone lighter, the running still hard going, but I am going longer without stopping, a good sign that the pish poor weather didn't put me off, I feel good for it , just gotta keep going even when the weight loss isn't as good, when your as heavy as me the first weight loss always seems rapid, but I reckon this time I have a good chance of doing this, early days but here's hoping.
  • Options
    A week in half a stone lighter, the running still hard going, but I am going longer without stopping, a good sign that the pish poor weather didn't put me off, I feel good for it , just gotta keep going even when the weight loss isn't as good, when your as heavy as me the first weight loss always seems rapid, but I reckon this time I have a good chance of doing this, early days but here's hoping.
    Well done. Keep going. They say the first six weeks are the hardest but if you stick with it you'll see the most results during that time.
  • Options
    3 miles last night 4:5 tonight, and it feels really good, best jog tonight along the river from pickets lock to enfield lock and back again really felt the benefit of 2 weeks round the park, I could get used to this, a real hard days graft, what a way to release all the stress inside,

Gotta keep motivated and doing it stone down by Friday I reckon
  • Options
    I'm not sure how fit you need get but you should start getting the endorfin buzz, makes running feel easier and when you stop you feel on a big high.
  • Options
    def felt the endorfin rush yesterday with about half a mile togo i thought i could take on the world, buzzing wernt the word for it, the half mile warm down back to the car was really enjoyable too, what a way to relieve stress and get your head right, highly recommend it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    re jogging ..if you havent done any exercise recently and you are VERY overweight you must get yrself checked out before you start but take it easy id say stick with the 2 miles and if you want work up but looking at the first post it wd be easy for you to crash and burn
    unless you are terribly overweight i wdnt worry about the impact on joints as its doing you more good than harm ,id suggest complementing the run with some core and leg weight body exercises and to give you some incentive enter yrself for a 10k charity run
    if you are out of breath for more than 30 secs to a minute after the run you need to slow down but as a lot of other posts have said work up slowly
    i am a big advocate of running ,its simply what our bodies are designed to do  

• Options
    Well done NLA keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Just got back from my twice weekly run. I run 3.7 miles around sidcup and new eltham. Off it's house is on my route and I stopped for a chat the other day with the old soak but I knew I was on for a good time tonight so I carried on. Did it in 32.45 which is a new pb. Have been doing this for 3 weeks now and and yearning to break 30 minutes. Am buzzing right now!
  • Options
    Well-done mate I am going at half 8 for another 4+ miles can't wait tbh, I wanna feel the burn and the endorphines

Really into this right now
  • Options
    Well done you two.

I'm going pub.
  • Options
    Well-done mate I am going at half 8 for another 4+ miles can't wait tbh, I wanna feel the burn and the endorphines

Really into this right now
    >
    Good job mate. How you get on?
  • Options
    Went 5 mins faster tonight than Monday but it felt a lot harder tbh, endorphines didn't kick in until last mile ,buzzing right now, feeling the burn and the buzz

Can't wait till Friday,
  • Options
    The 1st stone gone in just under a month, another 4.5 miles done tonight but I had really heavy legs for over 2 miles really had to dig deep and remember why I am doing it, weird no high after tonights run, really feel my thighs burning this evening, gonna have to dig deep through it this week and stay focused , roll on Wednesday
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Just stumbled across this thread.

I did a half marathon (my first) 6 weeks ago after a fairly intensive 16 week training programme. Dropped about 20lbs in the process which got me right back into the kind of shape I haven't been in since my pre-Uni caning it days.

Fair play for anyone giving it a go, it is hard especially in the early days and no matter how good the audio technology stuff is nowadays jogging is boring as but you do start to get a buzz on it if you do it 3/4 times a week and start to notice the difference/achievement as NLA seems to be doing. It's also the best cardio exercise to drop weight/work on your core and feel good quick.

Stick at it fella you're doing well by the looks of it but for god's sake look after your feet, mine are just about finished after 300 miles in 12 weeks!

First run back tomorrow for me... feels like it's going to be my first ever mentally!

Oh... one last thing... do a race... doesn't matter how far/where you come or whatever: 1. it sets a date and makes you mentally have to stick to what you're doing and makes you consider diet/alcohol as well as just training and 2. if you start getting a buzz off training, it will be tenfold running it with total randomers cheering you on... makes the training pale into insignificance!
  • Options
    Exactly what ISaw said. What time did you get?